Home

What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ?

Posted By: Canvasback2

What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/13/18 03:12 AM

Any suggestions for a Revolver for a Woman ? It would be her first gun. Needs it for her job. Goes into some pretty dicey neighborhoods. I was thinking of a .41 or .44 Magnum. Wants a Revolver , not a Semi Auto.
Posted By: BBarnes

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/13/18 03:14 AM

A 38 special is a nice little revolver.

B
Posted By: eastwood44mag

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/13/18 03:25 AM

Originally Posted By: BBarnes

B

Hard to beat. I've carried revolvers from .22 to .44, and most of the time I run a .38. It's nothing sexy, but it works, and I can shoot it one handed at confrontation distance if need be (God willing never).
Posted By: waggler

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/13/18 03:31 AM

"I was thinking of a .41 or .44 Magnum".
I'm a little curious why would you think of those calibers for a woman's self defense weapon (or a man's for that matter)?
Posted By: trapper les

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/13/18 03:35 AM

Something she can shoot nicely, and accurately .
Posted By: Marty

Dirty Harry would be proud... laugh
Posted By: RJCOLE

38 special is perfect or you could get a .357 and shoot .357 or 38 special from the same gun. I know I sure wouldn’t want to be shot with a 38.
Posted By: Wallace

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/13/18 03:38 AM

Ruger makes their LCR revolver in 9mm.

.38 special has been working for a long time though.
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/13/18 03:43 AM

I would recommend the revolver she likes best and shoots best. It is her life she is protecting, so the one she will carry all the time.

If it was me it would be a Ruger LCR.
Posted By: bulldozerjoe

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/13/18 03:57 AM

I would recommend the 38 special, small gun with small pop. What ever she’s not afraid to shoot. She can’t be afraid to pull the trigger in time of need
Posted By: bulldozerjoe

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/13/18 03:59 AM

Even a 22,
Posted By: Rcates

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/13/18 04:05 AM

If she needs small and discreet I would suggest a s&w j frame .38. The airweights are nice. If she can get away with a little more size then step up to .357 in the k frame I believe. I have several carry guns for different weather and needs but I really like my .38 airweight. So light. Most important thing is for her to practice often and get comfortable with whatever she carries.

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/13/18 04:12 AM

I forgot to mention the s&w 360pd if you go the .357 route. Very nice gun
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/13/18 04:14 AM

I think she should shoot some 38 revolvers and a 9mm , she may think she wants a revolver but may like an auto.

take her to a range that rents buy a box of 38 and a box of 9 and try some different guns.

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/13/18 04:16 AM

If its her first gun how does she know that she only wants a revolver?

Best to try a few different handguns and then decide.

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/13/18 04:29 AM

I was reading a review in American Rifleman a while back , they had 7 female firearms trainers and 35 women review 14 guns , a lot of women when in thinking they likes revolvers and came out liking an auto I think they said only one women still wanted a revolver when they were done , and she was a professional trainer , not sure what made her like it.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/13/18 06:48 AM

Another here for .38 although my wife, the little ginger spitfire, likes her styre .40..
Posted By: Meathunter1978

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/13/18 10:09 AM

My little red head carries a 2 foot piece of pipe.
Posted By: 160user

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/13/18 10:10 AM

32 H&R magnum is tough to beat in a J frame Smith.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/13/18 10:14 AM

my daughter likes my 9mm the best she 20 she will be getting one for her 21 birthday in may 9mm is also cheap to shoot
Posted By: mole

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/13/18 10:15 AM

Take her shopping, gun shops ranges. look at talk about handle shoot. Shopping trip.
Posted By: waterwells

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/13/18 11:31 AM

What 160 said . I know you said revolvers my wife likes her sr22 ruger with 60 grain rounds
Posted By: PineDoggin

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/13/18 11:47 AM

Originally Posted By: mole
Take her shopping, gun shops ranges. look at talk about handle shoot. Shopping trip.

Again, I'd take her to a range and shop combo. That way she can shoot everything that catches her eye. My wife is small @ 5'1 and can shoot my .45 Sig 1911 better then me,but not a carry gun. My Mom had a CC in Florida and carried a 22mag revolver for years before she bought a 32 auto Berretta that is a nice little carry gun. But she will find her fit. Not many people stand around when there getting shot at! So a cannon isn't needed.
Posted By: coydog2

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/13/18 11:49 AM

Like some stated take her out to try some guns and if when is able to shoot them the better.It is up to her what she wants to shoot and use.If she where to go with a wheel gun if she can handle a 357mag once in awhile then go with that and also try the 38spl also in the same gun and see how it feels for her and go from there. If she need to go with a 9mm ,Taurus have a 905 wheel gun for the 9mm and use moon clips.If she try that she might like that one. For better moon clips you can get them from TK Customs.Later on if she wants to go with a semi auto in 9mm she will have the ammo already. Also it is easy on the pocket from the cost of ammo and easy to find.Or if she get a semi auto and change to a wheel gun she will still have the ammo. But it is all up to her since she will depend on it for her.
Posted By: Osky

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/13/18 11:57 AM

Whatever caliber, I'd agree a semi.
Just learning to handle and shoot a gun is maybe 10% of the equation. Teaching someone to recognize the true signs of when to pull it and how to stay focused keeping a no go zone around themselves. LEO's and others practice this extensively for good reason. Few cc carriers do.
Once the threat is recognized she has to be mentally on auto, and willing to hit that trigger.

Being in close quarters looking someone in the eye and then being focused enough to kill them is more difficult than reasonable people can ever imagine. Panic or hesitation is failure. The reasonable person in the confrontation is hampered by the valu of life, the bad guy has no such concience.

I would buy and train here with multiple forms of mace type weapons. Always carry backup.

Osky
Posted By: EdP

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/13/18 11:58 AM

It needs to be light, concealable, and easy to shoot (light recoil). I don't think there is a .41 or .44 that meets that combination. Most women have smaller hands than men, smaller framed bodies which can make concealment more difficult, and less hand strength. All that points to a smaller round in a smaller gun. I think many women end up with a revolver because they are intimidated by the relative complexity of a semi-auto. That's just because they don't spend an appropriate amount of time at the range practicing.
Posted By: Paul D. Heppner

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/13/18 12:16 PM

Here is my take on a women's handgun, your mileage may vary. I know a bunch of ladies that carry. Only one carries an auto, all the time, a Sig 380. Two others carry autos professionally as required by their departments. One a Glock in 45 the other a Sig in 9mm. All the others (well over a dozen) are revolver users. They range from 38's to a 44 special. The main reason? They have great difficulty racking the slide and loading the magazines. They just don't have the hand/finger strength. Let's face facts here. If you can honestly say you have never had a failure to fire or a jam with an auto then you don't shoot. When it happens the gun needs to be cleared right now and if you can't physically do it you are in big trouble. I will admit loading a mag is almost a non issue because one should always carry at least two extras. When using a revolver, just bring up the next chamber.

My own two daughters carry revolvers. The oldest a 4 inch S&W 15 (my old squirrel shooter). The youngest a 2 inch S&W 360. Both guns are 38's. The oldest also has a Ruger lightweight 1911 in 9mm. She does have a little trouble racking the slide and uses a loader to stuff the mags. Therefore she doesn't use it as a carry gun. They both have access to all of my arsenal but always gravitate to the revolvers.

I personally carry one of three. A 2.5 inch S&W 19, a 3 inch Ruger GP100 44 special, or an S&W Shield 45. Of the three I prefer the 44 special. My son carries a Shield 9.

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/13/18 12:21 PM

Originally Posted By: ebsurveyor
"The Judge" & she might hit something if necessary to pull.

she might hit other things also if using a shot shell the rifled barrel spins the shot and opens the pattern much faster than any smooth bore shotgun.
I am not a fan of the judge , or governor unless at least 50% of your need is for snakes at short range even then I think your still better served with another gun.

it is very large and heavy , it is fine with a 45lc but so are many other 45s that are smaller and easier to carry.

with shot shells , the 2 1/2 inch 410 from a short barrel are pathetic they were not made to come out of a very short barrel

watch this he tests it on a standard section of duct work https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRlry5KH6I0
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/13/18 01:07 PM

Let Her try some, just don't let her touch one you don't want to buy because that's the One she'll like- Forever!
Posted By: coydog2

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/13/18 01:15 PM

Originally Posted By: 330-Trapper
Let Her try some, just don't let her touch one you don't want to buy because that's the One she'll like- Forever!
You take the fun out of have her see what one she will want.Or you can tell her that you will not want one and and it is really the one you like her to have.
Posted By: illinideer

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/13/18 01:43 PM

My wife latest revolver is a snub nose Ruger SP 101 38/357mag it has a heavier steel frame vs some of the lighter models. She finds the light alloy frames a little to harsh/snappy in recoil. Just make sure she's comfortable with what you get even if you have to down size in caliber, I'd much rather see a woman be able to shoot accurately in a crisis even if its a 22.
Justin
Posted By: arrowsmith

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/13/18 01:46 PM

Agree with above, Shop, handle, shoot, train. I like the Ruger LCR in .357 at 17 ounces dry, or the same revolver in .38 special +P at 13.5 ounces. Both just shy of 600 bucks. I will also say to have her try a few autos, and that I saw a nice youtube video on the Baretta 3032 Tomcat at 14.5 ounces empty. The author made a great point about the features of the tip up barrel and the true single/double action features of the firearm. Basically "anyone" is able to load this automatic without having to rack a slide, which is a feature that deters a lot of shooters from the automatic line of pistols. Good luck, and hope I she never needs to use the weapon.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/13/18 01:52 PM

Bond arms make a good selection of derringers in many calibers! https://bondarms.com/
Posted By: MB750

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/13/18 02:03 PM

I'm going with the 357 as my choice for her. My lady friend carries a 357. The first 2 rounds are 38 Special 110 gr. hollowpoints & the rest are 357 Mag, 125 Gr. Hollowpoints.
An old gunsmith friend of mine carried a 38 Smith loaded with full wadcuttters seated backward, one heck of a hollowpoint. They worked as needed when a couple of guys tried to rob him in the shop one evening. Why 2 guys would try to rob a gunshop with knives is beyond me.
Posted By: coonlove

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/13/18 02:30 PM

I have to agree 100 % with Paul Heppner above. A lot of women cannot pull a slide back on an auto pistol. The strength between thumb and first finger is not there. I have taught a few women to shoot and some could operate an auto, but ALL did well with a revolver. Nothing simpler that a DA revolver-just point and squeeze. If it doesn't' fire just squeeze again. I would stay away from the .357 loads also. They are intimidating to most men in a J frame. Confidence in one's firearm is half the battle in self defense.
Posted By: oldtrapper

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/13/18 02:31 PM

My wife carries a full size 1911 Kimber in 45 acp. She likes it because of the weight, a light pistol equals heavy recoil. As far as chambering a round in a simi-auto pistol... The first thing you need to do is show her how to properly rack the slide... not like a man, using your thumb and index finger. That is the wrong way and it is difficult for someone who doesn't have the strength. I am not a firearm instructor... but I got chewed out by one when he asked me to show my wife how to chamber a round. Here's what he said to do. Hold the pistol firmly in the right hand, move the pistol up to your chest close to the arm pit ...take your left hand and place it on top of the slide, and grasp the slide firmly with all your fingers and thumb . Now with your right hand push the pistol forward while holding the slide with the left hand tightly against your chest.

P.S. Let her shoot as many pistols/revolvers as possible you will probably be surprised
Posted By: acrews145

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/13/18 02:41 PM

I agree with what others said about let her try different ones. See what her reasoning is for wanting a revolver. I carry a Glock 27. I have had other women shoot my gun and they hate it, but it does have a significant pop. Sometimes I carry a .45 1911, but it's not well concealed. I am about 5ft 3 and 170lbs. I have a women's iwb holster which conceals my 27 well and is comfortable. Please, please do not let her carry in her purse! No woman can effectively pull a weapon from their purse when it's needed and if target of robbers that's the first thing they grab. The ruger sr9c is a favorite for a lot of women and is comfortable for small hands. The main thing is she is comfortable with basic operations of the gun. I don't want to be having to (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) a hammer if someone is after me, thus my preference for glock.
Posted By: Taximan

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/13/18 02:53 PM

I agree with others,no magnums.The frames are way too big and heavy and a lot of men can't master them.

I also would suggest the J frame S+W .38.I would lean more toward a SS steel model rather than ultra light weight.The scandiums feel great to carry but have a sting with +P loads that may cause flinching in a newer shooter.The all steel versions are light enough in the low 20 oz range but give some control that the ultra-lights don't have and due to that,follow up shots can be quicker and easier to place.

If she ever decides to consider an auto,put a Kimber,Micro 9 in her hand.Good luck.

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/13/18 03:00 PM

I think that single action only striker fire pistols can be dangerous handguns for the inexperienced to carry.

I think that the proper way to rack a slide is so your hand is not over the open chamber and you can see into the chamber when you have the slide racked all the way back. If you train yourself to rack this way then if you have a malfunction you can rack and see what the problem is......tap rack bang is not proper since you are hoping it will remedy the situation but you do not really know what the situation is....for example: sometimes under stress a shooter may inadvertently depress the slide release with his grip then the slide will not lock back and you actually have an empty gun....that tap rack bang will not fix...or if you have a double feed tap rack bang may just make it worse especially if your hand covers the place where a round will eject and it gets slapped back into the chamber.

A handgun that has a hammer allows the person handling the handgun to place a thumb behind the uncocked hammer while handeling or reholstering the handgun.

I like my sig P-250 because it has a recessed hammer that must cycle for it to discharge and it is dao. Its very safe to use when training from the holster and re-holstering a lot. Thumb behind hammer...re-holster.

Dao is a safer gun (generally speaking)for someone to handle because it has a longer trigger pull. Thus nd's are less frequent.

I believe that more people negligently discharge handguns than use them to protect themselves....but I am not sure of that.

There are lots of different opinions on these things and those are some of mine. YMMV.
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/13/18 03:00 PM

38/357 practice with light loads till she is proficient then mix in carry loads cant do that with an auto although some light frame 9mm have manufacture's caveat to use target loads only. If she doesn't have a shooting background i'd go with a 22 till she's comfortable shooting then move up
Posted By: oldtrapper

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/13/18 03:02 PM

Originally Posted By: acrews145
I agree with what others said about let her try different ones. See what her reasoning is for wanting a revolver. I carry a Glock 27. I have had other women shoot my gun and they hate it, but it does have a significant pop. Sometimes I carry a .45 1911, but it's not well concealed. I am about 5ft 3 and 170lbs. I have a women's iwb holster which conceals my 27 well and is comfortable. Please, please do not let her carry in her purse! No woman can effectively pull a weapon from their purse when it's needed and if target of robbers that's the first thing they grab. The ruger sr9c is a favorite for a lot of women and is comfortable for small hands. The main thing is she is comfortable with basic operations of the gun. I don't want to be having to (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) a hammer if someone is after me, thus my preference for glock.
how do you chamber a round in your 1911? Have you tried what I said in the above post? If so let us know what you think.
Posted By: TraderVic

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/13/18 03:13 PM

Interesting thread - there are plus's and minus's to both auto's and revolvers.

The OP didn't say IF this is for conceal carry, so I'll comment for just shooting comfort, plinking, etc. Depending on the auto brand and caliber, some women have trouble "racking the slide" of an auto. The 9mm is the most common, some women opt for a 380, which I look at as "better than nothing", but why not a 9mm ?

For just plinking, a 4-6" barrel revolver has a bit more weight to tame recoil. For a revolver for a woman, I'd vote along with many others above for a 38 special/357 mag. The extremely light 38 spl revolvers available are great to carry, but can be brutal to shoot, because they are so light and many people load their revolvers with +P factory loads.

For personal defense, the statistics show that the vast majority of incidents/actions occur within 7'. If one is in very close quarters and must push a gun barrel into the abdomen of an assailant to stop them, then a revolver is a better option. If you press an auto against the body, jacket, clothing, etc., of an assailant, an auto can easily jam after the first shot. A revolver will not fail ever.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/13/18 03:50 PM

Originally Posted By: coonlove
I have to agree 100 % with Paul Heppner above. A lot of women cannot pull a slide back on an auto pistol. The strength between thumb and first finger is not there. I have taught a few women to shoot and some could operate an auto, but ALL did well with a revolver. Nothing simpler that a DA revolver-just point and squeeze. If it doesn't' fire just squeeze again. I would stay away from the .357 loads also. They are intimidating to most men in a J frame. Confidence in one's firearm is half the battle in self defense.

Took a ccw class a few weeks ago. 2/3 of the class was women(of those most were teachers), most brought semis, looked like Glock and some lcp's, maybe one of them could pull the slide let alone load a mag.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/13/18 03:54 PM

Originally Posted By: waggler
"I was thinking of a .41 or .44 Magnum".
I'm a little curious why would you think of those calibers for a woman's self defense weapon (or a man's for that matter)?

I would think not all, but for most women, either is a lot of gun. Also, if you are talking concealed carry they are too heavy for that. My wife has a 38Spl S&W Airweight. I know the 2 mags you mention would be too much for her. I have a 44 Magnum and it would be too much for her to shoot accurately. A 38 is a nice caliber for a woman.

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/13/18 03:57 PM

Originally Posted By: TraderVic
Interesting thread - there are plus's and minus's to both auto's and revolvers.

The OP didn't say IF this is for conceal carry, so I'll comment for just shooting comfort, plinking, etc. Depending on the auto brand and caliber, some women have trouble "racking the slide" of an auto. The 9mm is the most common, some women opt for a 380, which I look at as "better than nothing", but why not a 9mm ?

For just plinking, a 4-6" barrel revolver has a bit more weight to tame recoil. For a revolver for a woman, I'd vote along with many others above for a 38 special/357 mag. The extremely light 38 spl revolvers available are great to carry, but can be brutal to shoot, because they are so light and many people load their revolvers with +P factory loads.

For personal defense, the statistics show that the vast majority of incidents/actions occur within 7'. If one is in very close quarters and must push a gun barrel into the abdomen of an assailant to stop them, then a revolver is a better option. If you press an auto against the body, jacket, clothing, etc., of an assailant, an auto can easily jam after the first shot. A revolver will not fail ever.

You make a good point about an auto jamming. Some of the AK guys who post on here have said that for self defense in AK, revolvers are the choice because of dependability.

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/13/18 04:26 PM

Never really thought of exactly how I do it, but it would be similar to this. I use my whole hand and kinda push pull.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/13/18 05:07 PM

Canvasback--we NEED to know her shooting experience. You shouldn't start her, or anyone, with a 44 or 41.
My wife loves to practice with 38, and keep 357's in cylinder when in house if needed. She doesn't like the 41, a lil too much, and she's been shooting 20 yrs-ish.
Accuracy and comfort wins over power, bigger is NOT better, often.
It needs to be something she won't mind practicing with to get proficient, if needed.

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/13/18 05:12 PM

A revolver will not fail ever.

I was with you on most everything else but this

revolvers do fail everything fails it is just that they fail differently and depending on the gun or user possibly less.
Posted By: charles

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/13/18 05:37 PM

I have a 5 shot Smith and Wesson that is perfect for carry.

Get her something with a hammer.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/13/18 05:40 PM

if you teach your wife to shoot and she arms herself, don't let her catch you kissing her little sister

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/13/18 05:48 PM

You need to be careful with the smaller revolvers some are very tough on your hand the smaller grips allow it to slide back in hand then hitting your trigger finger in the process.

Just let her shoot a few rounds at a time what is fun for us may not be fun for her after several rounds. With a pistol a natural fit is everything or your just making the same mistake over and over under pressure!
Posted By: Ken Smith

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/13/18 05:48 PM

.38 Special. No light weight air frame gun, needs to be a short barrel with full steel or stainless frame
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/13/18 05:52 PM

Originally Posted By: BBarnes

B

Yea put that in her hand first gun she shoots. See how hard she smacks you.
First gun for lady
22 mag

or 380 if she can stand the noise. We as hunters don't pay any attention to the bang . But I let my wife shoot my 9mm and she wasn't happy with the bang.

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/13/18 05:53 PM

Oh yea revolver point and pull idiot proof.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/13/18 06:06 PM

She needs to be exposed to a variety of firearms/calibers to see what fits her hand and if she can control the recoil. A .357 Mag can shoot .38 Special's and a wide variety of loads are available, from Low Velocity target to +P's. Semi's have a higher rate of fire and will hold more rounds.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/13/18 06:19 PM

I have a S&W 38 Spl +P 642+2 hammers less with lazar. The 642 is a snub nose. It will kick back with heavy loads. FYI most pistol ammo velocity information is done with a 4 inch barrel. The 642 only have I think a 1-7/8 barrel. So the mussel velocity is much less so watch when buying ammo. I would also get a revolver that has the cylinder cut for moon clips. $150.00 to have the cylinder machined for moon clips. A revolver is a little harder to conceal. JMO
Posted By: bhugo

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/14/18 12:20 AM

My wife likes to shoot my 642 snub nose. It’s the steel version but it’s easy to conceal. You can put +p in it if you want but not .357 mags. She likes my autos too but doesn’t seem interested enough to remember how to operate them. When she gets her ccw, I bet she wants a 642.
Posted By: Calvin

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/14/18 12:27 AM

The worst thing to do is have he shoot something that scares her. I'd start every woman with a .22 personally.

I also carry a .22 a lot of the time. Ask any level 1 trauma doc how deadly the .22 round is. Unless you're rough neighborhood is filled with bears, a .22 is plenty.

Some of those little light revolvers sure pack a kick. I'd steer clear of those, personally.
Posted By: sandhiller78

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/14/18 01:10 AM

This is a dilemma for my spouse as well. It’s difficult for her to rack the slide and problems with ftf with a weak hold. And a revolver with a long and heavy trigger pull makes accurate shots inconsistent. I’m interested in the new S&W M&P Shield 380 EZ, although that won’t cure the the limp wrist. Hopefully extra range time will cure that.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/14/18 01:15 AM

Originally Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

revolvers do fail everything fails it is just that they fail differently and depending on the gun or user possibly less.

Maybe they wont fail but you can sure make them so dirty that you cannot load em anymore.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/14/18 01:21 AM

I have to agree, the long trigger pull of a double action make them harder to shoot. As far as a .22 they will put a person under ground but it takes to long, I want them down right now. JMO but like all weapons practice, practice.
Posted By: fieldsy

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/14/18 01:38 AM

My mom is a frail, weak little old lady. 3 years ago, she said she doesn't feel safe....... I bought her a North American Arms Black Widow.. 22 magnum, 5 shots in chamber... Small, light, easy to conceal... perfect for her.. We tried many pistols, often times she couldn't work the slide, so we stayed away from them...

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/14/18 01:41 AM

Many bring up the issue of recoil and rightly so. However you can select different loads for reduced recoil. I run 148 grain wadcutters in my s&w j frame .38 for a number of reasons but a more mild recoil is the main reason. Allows me to get back on target quicker. I enjoy shooting my airweight. I would recommend reading the ballistic testing by Luckygunner for different revolvers. They have a ton of research with different ammo in various calibers. Helped me figure out which loads fit my different carry guns.

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/14/18 02:02 AM

Originally Posted By: Rcates
Many bring up the issue of recoil and rightly so. However you can select different loads for reduced recoil. I run 148 grain wadcutters in my s&w j frame .38 for a number of reasons but a more mild recoil is the main reason. Allows me to get back on target quicker. I enjoy shooting my airweight. I would recommend reading the ballistic testing by Luckygunner for different revolvers. They have a ton of research with different ammo in various calibers. Helped me figure out which loads fit my different carry guns.

OK MOST of you guys are missing the point or just don't read the whole post.
He wants a first gun for HIS WIFE !!!!

Why post what you carry and magnum this 444 auto that. SHE IS A NEW SHOOTER..... Don't care if it is less recoil wad cutters or no bounce bull stoppers, If you give a woman ANY 38 caliber to shoot the first time she shoots a gun they may drop it. When you guys got your first gun what was it?

Most was a 22 and some even a BB gun. Don't turn her off before she starts.....

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/14/18 02:16 AM

He also said she "needs it for her job" since she "goes into some dicey neighborhoods". Getting her some experience with a gun first is obvious. Maybe he will weigh back in at some point.
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/14/18 02:30 AM

I think she should shoot some 38 revolvers and a 9mm , she may think she wants a revolver but may like an auto.

take her to a range that rents buy a box of 38 and a box of 9 and try some different guns.

THIS!!! ^^^

If her life depends on it, test drive as many as she can. And when she finds one she likes... Practice.

Mike
Posted By: 2labs

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/14/18 01:50 PM

My wife can't work the slide on the autos so she opted for a revolver. She carries a SW642 hammerless in 38 special. Great little gun.
Posted By: wyote

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/14/18 02:42 PM

Originally Posted By: 160user
32 H&R magnum is tough to beat in a J frame Smith.

I agree with 160. I would probably look for a 327 mag and let her shoot the 32 H&R in it. If you need to step it up then shoot the 327 mags.

No way I would start her out with a 41 or 44 mag. Although shooting the 44 special in the 44 mag might work for you

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/14/18 02:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Calvin
The worst thing to do is have he shoot something that scares her. I'd start every woman with a .22 personally.

I also carry a .22 a lot of the time. Ask any level 1 trauma doc how deadly the .22 round is. Unless you're rough neighborhood is filled with bears, a .22

Some of those little light revolvers sure pack a kick. I'd steer clear of those, personally.

A .22 does not have enough knock down power for defense. I have seen ppl get shot point blank in the head with a .22 and not realize they were shot. The round is eventually deadly from resultant infection or the bouncing around in the chest cavity, but not enough to stop the original intent. It depends on ammo too. Guy last week took 3 9mm to the chest and walked away. Any woman who shoots should be familiar with her gun, able to load it, disassemble and clean it, and be comfortable with it. No matter the caliber, it's ultimately what she likes and is confident with.

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/14/18 02:56 PM

Originally Posted By: 2labs
My wife can't work the slide on the autos so she opted for a revolver. She carries a SW642 hammerless in 38 special. Great little gun.

that's why I think the best advice is people try several and see , Wives come in all shapes sizes and colors

my wife is 6 foot and wrestles 55 gallon barrels of DEF into the backs of trucks for her wracking the slide on a 40 was no issue.

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/14/18 03:32 PM

for a carry gun some words of wisdom

you want the smallest gun you can shoot well so that you carry it but the largest gun you can easily carry so that you can shoot it better

carry guns are all about compromise , we measure them in 10ths of an ounce and fractions of an inch an 1/8 inch may make one gun work for you and another uncomfortable

no handgun is a death ray obviously some better than others , shot placement is huge part of why practice is so important it may take more than one or two or 3 rounds. learn to fire 2 or 3 rapidly then assess.
Are you good to make exit or is the threat still a threat?

your goal is to stop the threat not kill anyone.

a threat is over when they have disarmed and surrendered , run beyond where they could return and be a threat , or are incapable of further action against you or you have found a way to make exit and left the threat behind.

I can make a bulls-eye shooter a heck of an actin pistol shooter in a short time because they have mastered sight alignment, sight picture and trigger press so I encourage people to get good at shooting that plain round target nice and in the black , then speed it up and speed it up make a good enough ring on the target an 8 inch circle around the center start working on present from low ready and fire and get good at that , present fire one , present fire one , present fire 2 until presenting from low ready is smooth and your on target . if at any point you go outside the good enough ring on the target slow down figure out what your doing wrong.

hammering away at a target with full magazines is practice but uses a lot of ammo for the good you get , load 6 in a mag or even less get good practice changing mags , go back to low ready as if you had just pulled from the the holster so if you have a hammer and it would be down in your holster start with it down. if you have a safety and it would be on in your holster start with it on. the only reason your not going back to the holster every time is because it takes time to re-holster a loaded gun and often it puts your gun not downrange save it for later and be careful re-holstering. practice holster present with and unloaded gun off the range for now.

dry fire practice is a great way to learn trigger control , aim on a small object and with an unloaded gun in a safe direction , sqweeeeeeeze concentrate on the target and not moving the sights off the target for the whole squeeze.

controlled pairs take a little time to learn but it is a timing function of your trigger finger , aim once shoot twice once you have your timing down you can land 2 shots about 2 inches apart in under a half second , get used to aimed shots , then figure out what you need for controlled pairs , then learn target transition , move the eyes then the gun , that way yoru moving the gun to your eye and not over swinging

when your on target , got your controlled pair timed right , got target transition down , it is time to add movement a good place to start is a drill where you have a target at say 25-30 feet steel if you can is great like a 10 inch round plate because you get instant feed back make two lines or set up barrels or something to set right and left , you fire a round when you reach each side and you move back and forth keeping the gun safely pointed down range you can start this smaller and do 2 barrels stacked on each other like your behind a big tree or column for cover move side to side fire a round form each side a the target , start by making hits , then speed up , and up until you miss , then work on it more so that you get hits but are going as fast as you can.

there are tons of drills to make you a faster better shooter out there.

if your looking for more structure , community and fun to this , IDPA , action pistol , USPSA are all great places to compete and give you good meaningful practice but you need to get to a certain level of basic shooting first.

safety first understanding what we do and why we do it for safety , then just learning to shoot targets , then with speed , then with motion then motion and speed.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/14/18 06:38 PM

A 148 gr HBWC loaded backwards, with a moderate powder charge makes an awesome self defense load

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/14/18 06:40 PM

Originally Posted By: jbyrd63

Why post what you carry and magnum this 444 auto that. SHE IS A NEW SHOOTER..... Don't care if it is less recoil wad cutters or no bounce bull stoppers, If you give a woman ANY 38 caliber to shoot the first time she shoots a gun they may drop it. When you guys got your first gun what was it?

Based on what you are saying, a 22 Magnum might be the answer. Only problem with this caliber is its stopping power. I don't disagree with anything you've said, it all makes perfect sense. It's just that the caliber is a little light for a carry gun.

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/14/18 08:08 PM

Pete,

Any firearm can fail, however - in very close quarters a revolver is better suited. Aside from the target shooting, whatever a person chooses to conceal carry, it had better be dependable as you are betting your life on it.
I've seen both auto's and revolvers - perform flawlessly shooting IDPA. So.....if one doesn't maintain their handgun properly, yes they can fail.
If you jam an auto into an assailants abdomen, clothing, etc., the slide will not fully close (or cycle) after the first shot.....now you have a jam and at a very bad time in your life.
I have both revolvers and auto's and shoot all of them.

Regards, Vic

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/14/18 08:25 PM

trapper 7 the issue with 22mag in a handgun with a 3-4 inch barrel , there is almost no difference in actual velocity neither had time to get up to speed and burn up the powder in that short barrel so it might be the difference between a 900fps .223 projectile and a copper plated .224 1000fps projectile , one is louder and marginally faster 72 fpe vs 89 fpe

a 158gr wad-cutter at 700fps has 172fpe while a 40gr projectile at 1000fps has 89fpe

but if you run a 125gr hydra-shock 38spl at 850fps from a 3 inch barrel you have 201fpe

I think starting any new pistol shooter with a 22lr pistol , I really like the Ruger 22/45 MKIII or the browning buckmark, we have an 80 something year old lady and her son in our club , she enjoys shooting the buckmark pistol very much and she shoots well, that is about all her arthritic hands can handle.

so if 22 is all you can handle then it is better than nothing. but a 38spl is a good sight better even if it is wadcutter loads if you can manage.

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/14/18 08:30 PM

Some folks should not carry a handgun for protection... smile

Pepper spray is underrated.

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/14/18 08:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Marty

But who wants snot all over them! LOL sick

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/14/18 08:33 PM

Spray and go instead of spray and pray.... laugh

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/14/18 08:34 PM

Any thoughts on the 327 Federal ? This is an interesting smaller revolver cartridge. I read where this was originally designed/intended to be a self defense round. My reloading manual describes this high pressure round as having excessive muzzle flash. Aside from this.....kind of an interesting round.

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/14/18 08:36 PM

Young lady who manages one of the gym's I go to got a 9. I stopped in her office for a minute soon after she got it and she says she has something to show me......and she reaches into her bag, pulls if out and sweeps me... sick

Told her I generally shoot people who point a gun at me but I would let her slide if she never did that again...

laugh

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/14/18 09:11 PM

Any thoughts on the 327 Federal ? This is an interesting smaller revolver cartridge. I read where this was originally designed/intended to be a self defense round. My reloading manual describes this high pressure round as having excessive muzzle flash. Aside from this.....kind of an interesting round.

it brings about the same energy to a fight as a 9mm a touch more than 38spl but midway currently has 6 327fed mag options only 1 in stock , I Didn't count the 9mm or 38spl but both had more than 50 with a lot more options in personal defense ammo.

it is cool in theory but it's availability might be a issue

being a big fan of buy what you can afford to practice with , it doesn't seem like it is a round most people would practice with most ammo choices are a dollar a round the even practice ammo if it was in stock would be 50 cents a round

I see twice as much practice happening when practice ammo is 25 cents a round

and practice is the thing I see far to little of happening every day as it is.

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/14/18 10:25 PM

Yes, the 327 mag ammunition costs more than both 38 special and 357 mag as well as 9mm.

Practice IS important and cost effective ammo helps big time.
Posted By: bhugo

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/14/18 11:11 PM

I agree

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/14/18 11:20 PM

Originally Posted By: jbyrd63

WIFE???????????????????? NO!!!!!!! LOL It is a Family Member.

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/14/18 11:24 PM

I ONCE !! grabbed what I THOUGHT was a PEN!! Had the exact shape as a Pen. But, when I pressed the top of the Pen to get the ball point out to write with it; That is when it sprayed !! God, that stuff is BAD!!! sick

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/14/18 11:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Canvasback2

I ONCE !! grabbed what I THOUGHT was a PEN!! Had the exact shape as a Pen. But, when I pressed the top of the Pen to get the ball point out to write with it; That is when it sprayed !! God, that stuff is BAD!!! sick

Some folks should not have access to pepper spray... laugh
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/18/18 07:35 PM

Just got back from sheels with my gal, went through all the cases revolvers and pistols. She picked an s&w sheild in single stack 9mm with a manual safty has her favorite. For $299 on sale too hard to pass it up. She's been talking about getting her ccw and has asked me to show her how the different ones work plus go to the range.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? - 03/18/18 07:58 PM

I have heard that some mother in laws require some serious stopping power not found in a handgun caliber of any sort. And that is just to stop them from talking.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums