Home

Indiana Bobcat Season

Posted By: D Cobb

Indiana Bobcat Season - 03/23/18 07:14 PM

Last evening I attended the public imput meeting on a Bobcat season in Indiana. This was the second meeting of 2, the first I wasn't able to attend because of my job. I understand that most everyone has a busy schedule and not much free time. All winter I've seen on this site and FB groups of trappers and deer hunters wanting a season and complaining that we need a season for Bobcats in Indiana. Last evening the sportsman and trapper were out numbered probably 7 or 8 to 1 from the opposition. 10 to 12 people were for the season, apparently thats all that could break away to attend.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Indiana Bobcat Season - 03/23/18 07:55 PM

Was your FBB there testifying?

Re: Indiana Bobcat Season - 03/23/18 08:04 PM

Yes .. not testifying though. Made sure and told her you said hello.. lol..
Posted By: Scott T

Re: Indiana Bobcat Season - 03/23/18 09:55 PM

That was my first public input meeting. It was a real eye opener. I think the anti crowd was there to save the possums and bobcat where a second thought. There was a woman there that said she would take all of them anyone wants to take her. Should have got her address.

Re: Indiana Bobcat Season - 03/23/18 11:41 PM

Scott it was great to meet you. It was unbelievable the amount of support the opposition had there.

Re: Indiana Bobcat Season - 03/24/18 12:43 AM

It was great to meet you.
Posted By: Sharpsman

Re: Indiana Bobcat Season - 03/24/18 01:01 AM

Channel 13 was there and ran about a 30 second segment last night and about a minute this morning.They used a sound bite from the lady that started on the Yellow Wood controversy,then used part of my comments as a sound bite.It sounded like I was there in favor of the nuisance animal rule change.There was no mention of Bobcat season at all on the news story
Posted By: harrison72

Re: Indiana Bobcat Season - 03/24/18 02:19 PM

Have you heard of any proposed dates IF we do get a season?

Re: Indiana Bobcat Season - 03/24/18 08:07 PM

Sharpsman looked on channel 13 and couldn't find it on their page. That doesnt surprize me that they would do that. I like how when they were offered the tour of Greene County they got kind quite.
Harrison I believe now it goes to the committee for a desicion. There was a lot of opposition at this meeting and on the on line comment page. I can't believe all these sportsmen in Indiana can't come together to support each other. We needed more faces at these public input meetings. I guess people really don't care that much about a season.
Posted By: MChewk

Re: Indiana Bobcat Season - 03/24/18 09:13 PM

Dennis get a hold of Tom and April Morelock for additional support...Indiana Trappers Assoc. is stronger than 2 trappers showing up.

Re: Indiana Bobcat Season - 03/24/18 09:45 PM

It's not on their page.I watched as soon as I got home on Thursday and again on Friday at 6 am.Indiana State Trappers Association was there.

Re: Indiana Bobcat Season - 03/24/18 10:33 PM

I know Tom and may call him. ISTA President Stu Grell was present as well as the ISTA Secretary. Stu made a great presentation. The local FTA Chapter was present as well. The thing that I can't beleive is the apathy from other sportsmen groups, and some of the trappers that don't do anything but complain. I think theres a good chance the opposition may come out with a win.
It was my understanding that at the first hearing the sportsmen were well represented.

Re: Indiana Bobcat Season - 03/26/18 05:29 PM

Originally Posted By: harrison72
Have you heard of any proposed dates IF we do get a season?
The goal is for the fall of 2019.
Posted By: Huntall76

Re: Indiana Bobcat Season - 03/26/18 07:13 PM

For me I think it's to soon I trap in upper central part of Indiana and they're no bobcats there yet. If they put in a season now it would take much longer for them to reach my area and I would like to catch them too.

Re: Indiana Bobcat Season - 03/27/18 12:34 AM

If you go on the DNR's Web site it explains that it will only be in select southern counties that have populations that can support it and it will be a limited quota

Re: Indiana Bobcat Season - 03/27/18 02:33 AM

I understand that but if you start taking bobcats from where they are plentiful they won't need to venture out to new areas as fast because there will be less competition right where they are.

Same thing happened with turkeys , not that many in the center of Indiana still and before they could established a good turkey population in central Indiana they started the stupid fall turkey season.

I take it you trap in southern Indiana.
Posted By: Starvalleytrappe

Re: Indiana Bobcat Season - 03/27/18 02:55 AM

Or
You don't controlsomething and people have to deal with the nuisance because someone else out of the area hopes they get to trap one

Re: Indiana Bobcat Season - 03/27/18 03:14 AM

Well that could be why there wasn't a big turn out to support a season on them ,really 2 reasons (1) most Indiana trappers won't benefit from a season (2) they are not a nuisance for most of Indiana .

It would be different if they were taking something away from trappers but they are not.

Re: Indiana Bobcat Season - 03/27/18 03:22 AM

You have never had to deal with a local problem that outside people had a voice in I guess

Re: Indiana Bobcat Season - 03/27/18 03:28 AM

If bobcats are that much of a nuisance why wasn't the place ful of hunters, trappers, livestock owners and land owners from southern Indiana?

Re: Indiana Bobcat Season - 03/27/18 03:39 AM

I'm not saying they are
Just pointing out that sometimes local decisions can be influenced by outside decisions

In this case you feel someone that lives in an area with a good population of bobcats shouldn't trap them because you want them to overflow into your area. Correct? Now my question would be, do you tell people that you trapcototes, coons or whatever for population management to ensure populations don't get out of control and diseases don't get spread?

Re: Indiana Bobcat Season - 03/27/18 04:02 AM

Nope I tell people I trap because I like it. I have ask and gotten permission to trap and hunt areas because the land owners are looking for me to control certain species population but I never bring it up I tell them I'll get all I can.

And correct I hope they don't allow a season on bobcats until I get to trap them too.

Don't expect others that can't have fun catching bobcats show up so you can. When they show up in my neck of the woods I'll be there.
Posted By: don Wolf

Re: Indiana Bobcat Season - 03/27/18 05:22 AM

Some areas of Indiana may never have Bobcat. Some areas of Indiana are just to much open terrain. Otter don't live in large amts. in all Indiana counties and they never will. The habitat it takes for them to flourish, just don't exist.

Re: Indiana Bobcat Season - 03/27/18 06:02 AM

All I'm saying is if you look at the confirmed sightings map they are in a lot more counties in the last 10 the years and if they wait 5 more years maybe more I think the state would have a good chance in establishing a good population for the majority of the state to enjoy. I wish over the next couple of years they would remove a few hundred from down south and relocate them to the mid and upper parts of Indiana and then in three years they could implement a to limited trapping quota for the southern part of the state then a few years later open it up to more of the state.
Posted By: lureintheanimal

Re: Indiana Bobcat Season - 03/27/18 07:04 AM

Originally Posted By: don Wolf
Some areas of Indiana may never have Bobcat. Some areas of Indiana are just to much open terrain. Otter don't live in large amts. in all Indiana counties and they never will. The habitat it takes for them to flourish, just don't exist.

Exactly! Mr. don Wolf, in some spots, I can see across a 3 mile cut corn or bean, sorghum, cane, or wheat or oat or hay field, and see the cars and trucks and semi-trucks on the State Road West, East, North and South! lol
them bobcat like a bit of cover, forest timber, pines, brush, etc. to help them a tad in their diversity. There are great habitat for bobcats, mostly South of Indianapolis! smile

Re: Indiana Bobcat Season - 03/27/18 07:16 AM

If you look up what habitat bobcats live in ,I don't see why with time they can't thrive in the hole state.

Re: Indiana Bobcat Season - 03/27/18 07:18 AM

NOT!, with ALL these farmers ripping OUT fence lines and brush, I Do Not Believe the Coyotes Will EVER let them have (1 litter of kitties)!
Maybe given 40+ years, I Won't Be Around to think about them bobcats! I'll be Look'in Up ^^^ To The Almighty by then! smile

Re: Indiana Bobcat Season - 03/27/18 07:19 AM

That make no sense when they livein deserts . I'm pretty sure they are wide open

Re: Indiana Bobcat Season - 03/27/18 07:23 AM

It Makes Perfect sense, even the furbearer Biologist agrees, it will Be A Challenge!
?? How many decades Did them bobcats live in that desert environment?? hundreds of ??
even feral cats do not last long around Coyotes better known as (Coywolfs) here in the East, Red Fox (what's left of them) and the Gray Wolf,etc.

there are pockets of habitat that is more conducive to the bobcats likings, speckled throughout the State, but Not, the prairie areas.

Re: Indiana Bobcat Season - 03/27/18 07:30 AM

So you can't find bobcats where there are coyotes ? Then how are they everywhere else and if they need forest, timber and pines how do they live in the desert? And why aren't all these coyotes killing them all.

Re: Indiana Bobcat Season - 03/27/18 07:38 AM

How do you know that they haven't killed there share, while you were sleeping??

I can find a bobcat (wherever) there is/has been a bobcat living! In the U.S. certainly bobcats do live where coyotes are, but that is mostly big country, unlike Indiana, as Mr. don Wolf mentioned! I Agree!

Take a jog up to Chicago, and see a bobcat?? Coyotes are there! Take a bike ride down/up to Indy and see a bobcat?? coyotes are there also!

Take a hike to The Hoosier National Forest and see a bobcat, coyotes are there in numbers, but you may just see a bobcat in that type habitat, in Indiana.

During The Fur Boom years of the 1970's up to the crash in 1987, there were few if any coyotes being caught in Indiana or most surrounding states either, even PA it took decades for the 1st Trapper to even catch a Coyote, it was front-page newspaper news 3 x a day+ back then, they the slick Coyote had not diversified their range, it took decades for even the coyote to spread Eastward. Bobcats Are Not Coyotes! Totally different creature and needs.
The habitat and high rocky ledges of hills and bluffs in Indiana WILL hold bobcats, but that IS NOT ALL of Indiana!
A season for bobcats in Indiana would maybe equal (1) Bobcat per season, for decades, maybe in 40+ years, it may increase, but most living today probably will never see it!

There were Buffalo that once roamed wide spread in Indiana, will they EVER again?? Not likely!

Re: Indiana Bobcat Season - 03/27/18 07:56 AM

Well good luck getting a season. If you can even get southern sportsman's to so up and support it you're not going to get many central or northern sportsman's to care.

Re: Indiana Bobcat Season - 03/27/18 08:07 AM

ALL Trappers I know Care! We'll take an Open season on Bobcats, that's ONLY on paper print, not on the Earth with real Bobcat tracks / numbers!
Biologists have been studying Bobcats in Indiana for decades, collecting DNA samples, travel data, etc.
If you want to dream, it's your dream, but in reality, it's going to take along Time! (1) Bobcat a Season, would be Nice!
The grandkids, great grandkids, great great grandkids will love it!
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Indiana Bobcat Season - 03/27/18 10:16 AM

huntall I saw bobcat tracks in snow 30 years ago in south IN.

Quote:
Huntall76 said,

That make no sense when they livein deserts . I'm pretty sure they are wide open

I am certain they are far from "wide open"

I been trapping bobcats a couple years now. You need to calm yourself and reread the post about habitat. Here in KS we have a LOT of cats. They are not evenly distributed. The habitat is simply to varied. Much like IN.

Here's a desert picture for you

Re: Indiana Bobcat Season - 03/27/18 11:41 AM

Huntall,At the southern meeting at Springmill park there were far more people for it I.E. sportsman,landowners,and farmers than opposition.Why? because they are already seeing and dealing with the problem.The meeting at Mounds park was 80 % residents of Hamilton County who were there to speak against the new proposed law for Nuisance trappers. Then 10% against the Bobcat season,but they came together as a 90% concensus of people who dont want ANYTHING KILLED FOR ANY REASON ANYWHERE!
There is not a more efficient predator and killer than a feline,from a feral house cat to a Mt.Lion.I live in West central Indiana.Do we have Bobcats here,yes.Will I see a season in Putnam County no.Will there ever be Bobcats in say White or Tippecanoe counties probably not do to lack of habitat as far as the Turkey comment,I can show you a large flock that lives in a 6 acre tract between a medical complex and a housing addition in urban Indianapolis,why? Because they have the habitat.However I will support my fellow trappers in Indiana if it's for the common good whether it's for my direct benifit or not.If you had attended the meeting and heard the dilutions of animal rights supporters when it came to how they think traps work and where they think we trap (state parks and nature trails because that's where the animals are)you should be willing to support them as well if you want to be able to continue trapping the animals you do have access to. Thanks
Posted By: late bite

Re: Indiana Bobcat Season - 03/27/18 12:05 PM

I don't have a dog in this fight, however Sharpsman is spot on here!

Quote:
I will support my fellow trappers in Indiana if it's for the common good whether it's for my direct benefit or not.If you had attended the meeting and heard the dilutions of animal rights supporters when it came to how they think traps work and where they think we trap (state parks and nature trails because that's where the animals are)you should be willing to support them as well if you want to be able to continue trapping the animals you do have access to.
Posted By: RM trapper

Re: Indiana Bobcat Season - 03/27/18 02:25 PM

I think all Indiana sportsman should support it, and if your in a area where there isn't any then hopefully one day you could travel south and get to get you one. But not supporting it because they are not in your area is not a good way to look at it
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Indiana Bobcat Season - 03/27/18 02:42 PM

Looks like Indiana is doing the same thing as Ohio is.

For those worried about the expansion of cats in both states, with the quota and one cat per person, I doubt the bobcat populations will even blink.

Re: Indiana Bobcat Season - 03/27/18 02:47 PM

To further Dennis's comments in an earlier post part of the problem is everybody thinks the other guy is going to go to the meeting when in reality only a handful show up it's kind of like that old adage the pretty girl never gets a date because everybody thinks she already has one

Re: Indiana Bobcat Season - 03/27/18 04:03 PM

Quote:
I will support my fellow trappers in Indiana if it's for the common good whether it's for my direct benefit or not.If you had attended the meeting and heard the dilutions of animal rights supporters when it came to how they think traps work and where they think we trap (state parks and nature trails because that's where the animals are)you should be willing to support them as well if you want to be able to continue trapping the animals you do have access to.[/quote]
X2
Posted By: Hoosier71

Re: Indiana Bobcat Season - 03/27/18 04:11 PM

I have heard it would be a 200 bobcat limit for the whole state. If that's the case, you could take 200 out of a couple of counties in southern Indiana. They are that plentiful. 200 a year isn't going to stop or for that matter, slow down, their gradual increase in range.
Posted By: TC1

Re: Indiana Bobcat Season - 03/27/18 04:25 PM

Huntall, don't know you, and trying not to judge, but your mindset is exactly what has this great nation involved in such a sh*t show. The libs, just like yourself, believe if they don't like something no one should be allowed to have it period! Greed and envy don't sit well with true sportsman, if allowed a season, what is stopping you from driving a couple hours and setting traps out for a long wknd like many others in other states do?
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Indiana Bobcat Season - 03/27/18 04:58 PM

Ill support IN. I don't live there and doubt I'll ever trap there but if I want to I can trap with the same regs as a resident. Why wouldn't every trapper support that?

Re: Indiana Bobcat Season - 03/27/18 06:54 PM

This is a perfect example of what I was trying to say. If it doesn't benefit me I don't care. People better start caring as Scott and Sharpsman said the opposition jumped on the band wagon. I know of people in Don Wolf's area that catch cats in numbers. I know of one guy that stopped coyote trapping because he constantly caught cats. I wonder how many quail and pheasant a Bobcat can eat?
It's the same ole thing as guys that won't join a state or national trapping organization, but want their help in a time of need. It's what I call selfishness.

Re: Indiana Bobcat Season - 03/27/18 07:15 PM

Originally Posted By: D Cobb
I know of people in Don Wolf's area that catch cats in numbers. I know of one guy that stopped coyote trapping because he constantly caught cats. I wonder how many quail and pheasant a Bobcat can eat?

Or how many Turkeys and hatchlings that could migrate to north central Indiana?

Re: Indiana Bobcat Season - 03/27/18 07:22 PM

Originally Posted By: TC1
Huntall, don't know you, and trying not to judge, but your mindset is exactly what has this great nation involved in such a sh*t show. The libs, just like yourself, believe if they don't like something no one should be allowed to have it period! Greed and envy don't sit well with true sportsman, if allowed a season, what is stopping you from driving a couple hours and setting traps out for a long wknd like many others in other states do?

This is the last time I'll post on this thread because they always go to far.

You say my way of thinking is liberal but in fact you're acting liberal.

I'm not doing anything that prevents you from accomplishing you goal of a getting season.

But you're saying I should help you do something I don't agree with and i should think like you and if I don't I'm wrong for it. Now isn't that how liberals think.

I mean seriously if i don't think like you do i don't care about trapping and I'm not a real sportsman lol . Some people go straight to acting liberal as soon as someone disagrees with them.

Like I said your not losing something your trying to gain something but when I don't want a season so I might be able to trap them in the future I'm selfish.

Re: Indiana Bobcat Season - 03/27/18 07:24 PM

Exactly Sharpsman... Another thing that I can't understand about the lack of people at the meetings. Where was the NWTF, Indiana Deer Hunters, Indiana Bowhunters, Pheasants Galore, Quail Unlimited just to name a few. All of these groups would benefit as well, not just the trappers and hunters.

Re: Indiana Bobcat Season - 03/27/18 07:34 PM

We may have lost something, an opportunity. When will we get another if it's needed ? I don't know the area of the state you live. But I've talked to some that know of cats being caught in small numbers in the northern part of the state
Posted By: Patokariver

Re: Indiana Bobcat Season - 03/27/18 07:59 PM

I live in SW Indiana, I see what our cat population is doing and I have released 14 cats over the past two seasons. I also attended the meeting at Spring Mill and voiced my opinion. At this meeting it was approximately 2/3 for it and 1/3 against. The proposed season that the DNR has will not even slow them down. This is a start, and that's what matters!!!! I am also aware that bobcat do not have a sustainable population in all of the counties but that does not mean we should have to wait because some don't have an equal opportunity. There is still some counties in Indiana that really have to manage their doe numbers because lack of population but others you can kill eight. The otter season has operated in this limited county format since the season opened and seems to be doing well. And, if I'm not mistaken the turkey season as well as deer(before my time) started this way. So my main point in this conversation is the DNR is doing the best they can with the info they have and it is their job to do so. As for as the reports the DNR gets on catches, road kills, and sightings is way under the actual number of what is being reported because the new has worn off and nobody thinks anything about a road kill or catching one in a trap anymore. I have spoken with the Conservation Officers in my area and they are tired of helping release them and picking up mangled road kills. If we don't do something to control the population the Toms will start kill the young and disease will set in and really hurt the population that we want to see expand.

The way i see it is, if you are not for it your against it and the LAST thing we need is trappers fighting trappers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Indiana Bobcat Season - 03/27/18 08:30 PM

Exactly Patoka.The opposition claims it's all about money and a thrill.To many people don't realize it's about managing a resource.Which was my exact comments at the input meeting
Posted By: cattails

Re: Indiana Bobcat Season - 03/28/18 01:31 AM

Something else to consider... The biologist that I spoke with believes that our northern bobcats are coming out of Michigan. He doesn't think the bobcats would migrate through the corn belt region south of us.
Posted By: trapperbless

Re: Indiana Bobcat Season - 03/28/18 01:57 AM

For us trappers' sake, I hope a season doesn't open before December 1st. Otherwise the deer hunters will put a hurtin' on the quota before the trappers even have a chance to catch any prime cats. Nearly every deer hunter I know in the southern part of the state wants one mounted or tanned, and will be more on the hunt for cats than deer. Hopefully hunting season for them will be after gun season giving equal chance for hunting or trapping one.
Posted By: loosanarrow

Re: Indiana Bobcat Season - 03/28/18 02:04 AM

There are not even close to enough bobcats to have a season in northern Indiana. And central Indiana is mostly Tipton Till Plains, and has consequently very little to no suitable bobcat habitat due to primarily agricultural land use patterns. There is unlikely to “ever” - at least in the scope of time we can concern ourselves with - be a sustained population of bobcats in central Indiana. The Northeastern portion of the lakes region has mediocre to fair bobcat habitat, and the population has been small but apparently consistent since I was kid in the 1980’s. Not enough to worry about or trap, but stable enough to be called present. I don’t expect them ever to be harvestable densities around here except maybe a few pockets.

Southern Indiana is a whole different deal. I routinely hear about bobcats from guys like Don Wolf and Patokariver who realease them so often they discuss the best techniques for not harming the animal (I hear bobcats take a delicate touch).
I strongly support a season in areas where they are plentiful. I just don’t understand why any trapper would not want to allow others with harvestable populations to make use of the resource. What’s going on here?
Posted By: Matt(rat killer)

Re: Indiana Bobcat Season - 03/28/18 03:07 AM

Well I made the first public comment meeting. Hunters/ trappers were represented well. Some of those against a season were at the least radicals commenting on their false information & propelling the PETA/ HSUS banter. Had some folks there but didn’t voice their opinions about the subject. They were a waste of chair space imo. They had no voice....this the time to speak up for the bobcat season.....

Re: Indiana Bobcat Season - 03/28/18 04:11 AM

After several ours researching and a few more on the phone with a trusted friend that is a DNR property manager up north,I must admit I was uneducated on the subject and admit that there are at least 15 to 20 counties that should have a controlled number of bobcats taken from them so I do apologise for my ignorance of this subject.

That being said if they're any future meetings on this subject someone please pm me and I will attend.

Re: Indiana Bobcat Season - 03/28/18 10:30 AM

Huntall, Thank you for doing some research. I don't think those who where opposed at the meeting will be changing their mind. The DNR will trust their research and we will get a season.
Posted By: yoteskinner

Re: Indiana Bobcat Season - 03/28/18 12:57 PM

I live West Central Indiana. We have had bobcats here for over 30 yrs. We have good terrain and food supply. We saw a population explosion in cats several years ago. I know trappers that catch several even though they try like heck to avoid them. Even as far as not setting up areas because of the cats.
As far as the meetings, it seems as the schedule is not very cooperating for guys working long days and having to travel a ways to attend.
The DNR needs to look at it more like they did the otter season and not just a few counties south. Bobcats exist up the Wabash corridor.

Re: Indiana Bobcat Season - 03/28/18 01:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Huntall76
After several ours researching and a few more on the phone with a trusted friend that is a DNR property manager up north,I must admit I was uneducated on the subject and admit that there are at least 15 to 20 counties that should have a controlled number of bobcats taken from them so I do apologise for my ignorance of this subject.

That being said if they're any future meetings on this subject someone please pm me and I will attend.

This is good to see
Posted By: Trapper Kyle

Re: Indiana Bobcat Season - 03/29/18 04:24 AM

[quote=yoteskinner]I live West Central Indiana. We have had bobcats here for over 30 yrs. We have good terrain and food supply. We saw a population explosion in cats several years ago. I know trappers that catch several even though they try like heck to avoid them. Even as far as not setting up areas because of the cats.
As far as the meetings, it seems as the schedule is not very cooperating for guys working long days and having to travel a ways to attend.
The DNR needs to look at it more like they did the otter season and not just a few counties south. Bobcats exist up the Wabash corridor.

Exactly. Parke and Vermillion Counties for sure. I can’t speak for anywhere else in this part of the state. Just in the last 10 years they have exploded. I have a female and her 3 young and a large assuming male that frequent right behind my house. Everyone that I know who run trail cams get them all the time. A 1 per quota and couple hundred throughout the state wouldn’t hurt a thing.

Re: Indiana Bobcat Season - 05/12/18 11:44 AM

TTT
© 2024 Trapperman Forums