Home

Memorable catch?

Posted By: Ryan McLeod

Memorable catch? - 03/28/18 09:34 PM

One that sticks out for me is my firat big wolverine in a #3. My headlight was dying and there was no moon. It all worked out. I had him by one toe freshly caught.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Memorable catch? - 03/28/18 09:37 PM

first coyote
Posted By: unclej

Re: Memorable catch? - 03/28/18 10:23 PM

First coon,1971.Little one ,but I was thrilled.
Posted By: imissed

Re: Memorable catch? - 03/28/18 10:33 PM

1st fox when I was 16. 58 now. A big otter a few yrs. ago ranks up there too.

Re: Memorable catch? - 03/28/18 10:50 PM

Rylan and morgan set a snare when they were 9 and 5. I checked it alone and never felt prouder to see a lynx. Even more than my own first lynx. Winter trapping is done now and ive been day dreaming all day. Lots of good memories of trapping throughout the years.
Posted By: bmccoyote

Re: Memorable catch? - 03/28/18 11:07 PM

First bobcat. Caught it on a #2 victor dls on a drag in a fence crossing. Had my 2nd oldest son, Tripp, with me when we found the trap missing, he could not have been more than 4 at the time. So we set out following the tracks. I knew something was up because when you catch a coyote on a drag and he gets tangled it sounds like someone is slinging hammers and chain. Not this time, all quiet. We went about 50 yards or so and the drag marks kind of faded in the grass and I told Tripp we should just stop for a minute and look out in front of us and see if we could catch site of the drag marks going under some trees. I had a general idea of which way the cat had gone and was trying to make out some marks in the dirt when Tripp said, dad he's right there. I asked him where, and he said look there, and started walking towards the tree in front of us and man did that cat explode. hahahahahaha! We both about jumped out of our boots. Luckily he was pretty much tied to that tree and could go anywhere. I have a pic on my old phone, will have to find it and see if I can get it posted.
Posted By: PA.Trapper

Re: Memorable catch? - 03/28/18 11:11 PM

First double on yotes here in pa.with cable restraints
Posted By: Lazarus

Re: Memorable catch? - 03/28/18 11:15 PM

They are all memorable. Some just more memorable than others.

Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Memorable catch? - 03/28/18 11:17 PM

1st cat in a 1 1/2 NW coil set for weasels not even covered/bedded set hair trigger under a piece of stump for a cubbie.
Posted By: charles

Re: Memorable catch? - 03/28/18 11:27 PM

I put 6 buckets one evening on a marsh island a ross from a commercial fish house. Buckets were in a circle about 30 feet in diameter. Bait was scraps of yellowfin tuna caught that day. Next morning I had five coon and and a nutria. Please explain why a nutria stuck its head in a 5 gallon bucket baited with tuna. I could have been six for six!
Posted By: Aix sponsa

Re: Memorable catch? - 03/28/18 11:50 PM

My first beaver. I wanted a beaver, but there weren’t any where I was mink/otter/coon trapping, so I made a set where I’d seen some before. First night was a bingo in a Bridget 330, and I’ve been hooked since. Showed a picture to a few friends, and I had my first two beaver jobs lined up a week or so later. Bing-bang-boom, next thing I knew I was a beaver trapper, and there is no other job I’d rather do
Posted By: BruceDafter

Re: Memorable catch? - 03/29/18 12:16 AM

My first and only Fischer to date. Caught it this year, in the woods behind my house. It is pretty much my white whale for UP trapping. Unfortunately I caught it a month after our 15 days season ended. Turned it into the DNR as an incidental catch the next day. Won't be able to forget that catch any time soon.
Posted By: wamp

Re: Memorable catch? - 03/29/18 12:37 AM

8 years old first catch ever 12/59 rabbit best i can remember it was around 40 pounds
first coyote 11/79
first cat 12/07 released
first keeper otter 12/18
Posted By: Hutchy

Re: Memorable catch? - 03/29/18 12:52 AM

First fisher about eight or nine years ago. First beaver same year.
Posted By: DaveP

Re: Memorable catch? - 03/29/18 01:18 AM

10 years ago me and one of my sons headed out to western MD to try to catch a fisher. Had never seen one before.

Made a few sets in what we thought was a "fisheryish looking" area.

Came back next am and had one in the second trap! 30 minutes of celebrating and we moved on. Next stop, I went to check traps on left side of road and he went to right side.
Few minutes later I hear, " Dad, Dad, we got another!!!"

I holler, " BS!"

I hear, "I swear!"

Sure enough, had another one.

LOL, that was the first year MD allowed 2!

First beaver I ever caught, a long time ago, made me feel like a TRAPPER!!

Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Memorable catch? - 03/29/18 01:22 AM

I can go back to the exact spots I caught my first bobcat, otter, and red fox, but cant remember where the first coyote or grey came from as that's what I get the most of.

Re: Memorable catch? - 03/29/18 01:53 AM

Originally Posted By: wamp
8 years old first catch ever 12/59 rabbit best i can remember it was around 40 pounds
first coyote 11/79
first cat 12/07 released
first keeper otter 12/18

First goose i carried from the blind all the way to the boat was about 40 pounds too.
Nice pics lazarus. I imagine if i lived near bobcats id be after them too.
Posted By: Rat Masterson

Re: Memorable catch? - 03/29/18 02:35 AM

Caught 2 coon in a 220 at the same time, also 2 rats in one trap 3 different times. Best one was a rat and a mink at the same time in a 110.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Memorable catch? - 03/29/18 02:43 AM

My best Evah......I caught 2 beaver at the same time in one MB750 on a drowning rig ...By the toes.....True Story
Posted By: JaredC

Re: Memorable catch? - 03/29/18 02:45 AM

Hiked about 1/4 up to a bluff line to pull a cage trap that hadn't produced in two weeks. Knowing there would be nothing in it again I opted to leave the 22 in the truck. Naturally there was a bobcat in the trap and I will never forget hiking back down that rocky hillside with that cat bouncing erratically back and forth in the trap.
Posted By: Wild_Idaho

Re: Memorable catch? - 03/29/18 02:55 AM

Being as I just started trapping 2 weeks ago, I don't have much to go on, but nothing will beat checking empty sets for 5 days in a row and then finally walking up and seeing a flat, brown tail floating on the water surface, where I had a 330. Will never forget that feeling of excitement and gratitude.

Posted By: TurkeyTime

Re: Memorable catch? - 03/29/18 03:00 AM

13 years old, first animal trapped, muskrat. Man I was a trapper then.
Posted By: trapper les

Re: Memorable catch? - 03/29/18 03:02 AM

2 cats in one day 70 yards apart. 32lb female, 37lb male.
Posted By: Trapper Kyle

Re: Memorable catch? - 03/29/18 03:37 AM

I set my first snare when I was 8 years old. It was a junk one that my dad had laying around. After checking it for what seemed like forever one day I walk up and find it all messed up but no critter. As I inspected it I found some cherry red fur in the lock. No clue how I didn’t catch that fox but I went back home madder then a hornet. Dad smiled and gave me one of his good snares and I went back and reset it. Not many days later I caught my first coon. I’m 33 now and will never forget that day. I started really trapping 5 years ago and never used footholds until then. I shared several coyotes in high school but to catch my first in a foothold I was tickled pink. Caught it on my 13 acres the first week of setting. It wasn’t until this season that i finally connected with my first red fox. It took me 25 years from when the first one gave me the slip but I finally got me one. Lol. Ended up catching 3 this year. My first bobcat was a treat and cool to be able to say I caught one. Of course in Indiana I had to let it go. After the first one though I could have gone with out until we get a season but I’ve managed to catch 2 more. It’s funny how things like this are so vividly remembered but I can’t remember what I ate for supper yesterday.
Posted By: Wild_Idaho

Re: Memorable catch? - 03/29/18 03:40 AM

Originally Posted By: Trapper Kyle
I set my first snare when I was 8 years old. It was a junk one that my dad had laying around. After checking it for what seemed like forever one day I walk up and find it all messed up but no critter. As I inspected it I found some cherry red fur in the lock. No clue how I didn’t catch that fox but I went back home madder then a hornet. Dad smiled and gave me one of his good snares and I went back and reset it. Not many days later I caught my first coon. I’m 33 now and will never forget that day. I started really trapping 5 years ago and never used footholds until then. I shared several coyotes in high school but to catch my first in a foothold I was tickled pink. Caught it on my 13 acres the first week of setting. It wasn’t until this season that i finally connected with my first red fox. It took me 25 years from when the first one gave me the slip but I finally got me one. Lol. Ended up catching 3 this year. My first bobcat was a treat and cool to be able to say I caught one. Of course in Indiana I had to let it go. After the first one though I could have gone with out until we get a season but I’ve managed to catch 2 more. It’s funny how things like this are so vividly remembered but I can’t remember what I ate for supper yesterday.

Heck, I can't remember what I ate for supper tonight... and great trip down memory lane, BTW. Bobcats are awesome. On my "to catch" list.
Posted By: Dan Barnhurst

Re: Memorable catch? - 03/29/18 03:45 AM

First coyote. Had to be the worlds dumbest. Missing three feet (all nubs skinned over and calloused) and I caught him by his only good foot. Fat as a butterball - probably the fattest I've seen. Always wondered how he lost em and in awe of how tough he had to be to survive the loss of three feet. Started my ever deepening respect for the tenacity of coyotes.
Posted By: Dan Barnhurst

Re: Memorable catch? - 03/29/18 03:49 AM

Caught two otters in a 330 set for beaver. Was able to release the hip-caught one. The other was suit-cased.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Memorable catch? - 03/29/18 04:25 AM

First red fox when I was a kid about 12 years old,is my most memorable catch.I had already caught rats,beaver,skunks,mink,groundhog,squirrels,and coon,but the big prime red stands out.Foothold trail (going thru a frozen cat tail marsh) set middle of winter December,just before Christmas.I can still see him bouncing around with two 1 1/2 jump traps on his feet.I remember dispatching him with my snowshoe,lol.

Re: Memorable catch? - 03/29/18 05:06 AM

Originally Posted By: Wild_Idaho
Being as I just started trapping 2 weeks ago, I don't have much to go on, but nothing will beat checking empty sets for 5 days in a row and then finally walking up and seeing a flat, brown tail floating on the water surface, where I had a 330. Will never forget that feeling of excitement and gratitude.

I remember my first shorthaired spaniel like it was yesterd....oh now i see the beaver! Jk. Congratulations.
Posted By: trapperman222

Re: Memorable catch? - 03/29/18 05:23 AM

My first triple on cats and a wolf the same day.. Never forget that day.
Posted By: trapperman222

Re: Memorable catch? - 03/29/18 05:28 AM

Oh and Two otter in one 330 .
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: Memorable catch? - 03/29/18 06:54 AM

The next catch will be my most memorable catch.

And the one after that.........
Posted By: micheal

Re: Memorable catch? - 03/29/18 09:41 AM

Mink
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Memorable catch? - 03/29/18 10:28 AM

there's so many memoires on the trap line but the one's I like the most r the one's I was with a kid or beginner an they got there first of anything you never forget the look on a kids face when they catch something smile
Posted By: Kart29

Re: Memorable catch? - 03/29/18 10:31 AM

First coon. I had one trap and made one set. Caught a coon the first night. Little bitty thing. He was asleep on the bank above the pocket set and I had to wake it up to dispatch it.

Don't think I'll ever forget my first fox, either. I sure was surprised.

For some reason I can't remember my first grinner. But, I can remember my son's first opossum. Not a very nice one and it got ran over by a chisel point plow before we checked the trap the next day. Still, we had it tanned and he keeps it as a trophy. Wouldn't it be nice to be young and excited about life again?
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Memorable catch? - 03/29/18 10:31 AM

even when that kid has been trapping with you for 15 years [on an off]
Posted By: Guy Johnson

Re: Memorable catch? - 03/29/18 10:57 AM

For me it was my first beaver it was January 28th 1967 and I put that beaver in my Radio Flyer and dragged it to town to show everyone! Stopped by the Police Station the Village News stand and the Library where the Librarian Mrs. Hamilton told me how proud she was of me! I was 12 years old and that night solidified how I would live the rest of my life! Can you imagine a young boy bringing a beaver to a Library today! So very thankful that I grew up in that place and time!
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: Memorable catch? - 03/29/18 11:27 AM

Hands down, the night of my 21st Birthday, put my Grandpap on a limit of walleyes.
He told me later that was a first. I felt pretty good since 2 of his boys were pros.

You young pups, don't be scared to take an old guy along.

Catching calf killing coyotes is pretty rewarding for this fur trapper.
Posted By: rendezvous

Re: Memorable catch? - 03/29/18 12:29 PM

Trapping-wise, all my firsts are memorable, but three really stick out in my mind...

Beaver- it just took me back to the mountain man era and still does.

Fox- as a young man catching fox with regularity, I received recognition/acceptance of other Trappers. It was really special and a great feeling.

Fisher- the first season ever in my area, was able to connect on a nice fisher. And with my time on the trapping line coming towards an end, it was a bucket list thing and made me feel young all over again.

Hoping to update the reply with a few other bucket list items; Marten, Bobcat and the Otter. These may be tougher accomplishments, health, getting old and gotta take the show on the road, we'll see...
Posted By: Michael Morris

Re: Memorable catch? - 03/29/18 12:38 PM

My badger. Pretty rare here in central Missouri, had no idea they were around, was an awesome day that I shared with my brother smile
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Memorable catch? - 03/29/18 01:58 PM

My first Beaver in "86"
Posted By: ABrown

Re: Memorable catch? - 03/29/18 02:12 PM

This year caught a red and coyote less than 10ft away from each other. Never thought i would see that kinda double!
Posted By: ABrown

Re: Memorable catch? - 03/29/18 02:16 PM

Posted By: iaduckhntr

Re: Memorable catch? - 03/29/18 04:12 PM

I have 2 I'll never forget.
First animal ever caught, a 28# coon in a #1 B&L long, aluminum foil covering the pan!
Spring beaver, pulled up a 330 set in a run and had a muskrat in the jaws on one side and a mink, that had been chasing it in the other side!
Dennis
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Memorable catch? - 03/29/18 04:28 PM

Two otter in a Belisle SuperX. And once caught a beaver with a rat-shaped tail instead of flat.
Posted By: Calvin

Re: Memorable catch? - 03/29/18 04:36 PM

13 mice packed into the jaws of a 1.5 coil.
Posted By: trapper les

Re: Memorable catch? - 03/29/18 04:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Calvin
13 mice packed into the jaws of a 1.5 coil.
That's interesting...don't leave us hanging, lol.
Posted By: jk

Re: Memorable catch? - 03/29/18 04:52 PM

13 mice??????
Posted By: Beaglador

Re: Memorable catch? - 03/29/18 05:20 PM

From this past season- a memorable mixed bag for sure!

Posted By: Tom Fisher

Re: Memorable catch? - 03/29/18 08:14 PM

catching two Cougars same day---one in a trap one with my Airedale Poncho
Posted By: Killbuck

Re: Memorable catch? - 03/29/18 08:26 PM

Albino Raccoon. circa 1974
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: Memorable catch? - 03/29/18 10:11 PM

First Otter. Set up below a big Otter toilet on the Black River near Lytles. Got good and cold and there was a lot of ice flowing around. Did a check one evening just before dark. Lots of ice piled around the set and when I walked up I saw fur and it looked like I had a Muskrat. Started cussing my luck but when I started to haul the 330 trap and critter out of the set, it just kept coming and coming...60" from tip of nose to tip of tail and beautiful. Looking at it hanging on the wall as I type this.

Moosetrot
Posted By: Beaglador

Re: Memorable catch? - 03/30/18 12:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Tom Fisher

Poncho still around?

Re: Memorable catch? - 03/30/18 12:56 AM

Tricking an educated gulo is always a day to remember. First time took 3 weeks of having the entire line disabled and robbed of bait. A blind trap 5 feet behind the cubby is what ended up snagging him. I set a second blind trap within reach of the first so he might get another foot caught while fighting the first trap. Kaboom! Made me feel like i really did something right. He had a front foot and a back foot caught so he chewed the anchor tree down and buggered off. Found him hung up in the creek.

Me and a couple friends had a walking line one year. My battery is low so ill get to the point. We played cat and mouse with 3 wolves for a few weeks and i connected with the biggest of the three on a full moon. We tied the legs together and ran a stick through to carry to the truck. Walking along with a couple of my best buds with a healthy adult wolf under the brightest full moon. I asked out loud "either of you ever did this before?" I knew they hadnt. After that we mostly stayed quiet on our walk. It like we were aware this doesnt happen very often and we were all just enjoying the moment. Surreal is the word.
Posted By: Tom Fisher

Re: Memorable catch? - 03/30/18 02:00 AM

Pancho doing fine can't really have a good time without him!
Posted By: GUK

Re: Memorable catch? - 03/30/18 04:00 AM

Mink in a 110, while holding the trap.
Posted By: furkiller

Re: Memorable catch? - 03/30/18 06:38 AM

Bobcat with radio tracking collar
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Memorable catch? - 03/30/18 10:21 AM

First coyote.
Jim
Posted By: AuthorTrapper

Re: Memorable catch? - 03/31/18 07:05 PM

My most memorable catch was when I was 12 and caught a 25lb bobcat under a fallen down tree in a Blake & Lamb #2 coilspring.
Posted By: newfox1

Re: Memorable catch? - 03/31/18 09:16 PM

this morning when I caught a nice male otter,the forth one in five days.fortunate to live in the "WOODS" where they are plentiful.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums