Home

Spring Thaw

Posted By: tree

Spring Thaw - 04/11/18 01:01 AM

Took long enough, but I think spring has taken hold.
It may not look like it, but ice at corner of footbridge is almost 8 inches. It has been thawing for a week already.

Ravens have been uncovering these regardless of the snow depth. Nothing to eat, they just cant leave them alone.
Posted By: racerboy108

Re: Spring Thaw - 04/11/18 01:40 AM

We are looking at possible another big snow this coming weekend.
Posted By: trapperkeck

Re: Spring Thaw - 04/11/18 01:43 AM

I had to open this thread to find out where. Alaska, go figure!
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Spring Thaw - 04/11/18 11:12 PM

I think we have more snow here and more coming. I always said someday I am moving north!!
Posted By: white17

Re: Spring Thaw - 04/11/18 11:23 PM

Snow still almost to my waist. Logging on snowshoes at this point.

yesterday I dropped a big birch and a cow moose was eating the tops within 60 seconds. She continued to eat while I was bucking the tree. Today there were two waiting for me to drop another tree. They are starving. We have had 8 die from starvation right here in town this year
Posted By: tree

Re: Spring Thaw - 04/12/18 12:34 AM

10 or so years ago when we had 20+ feet, the deer were starving. Walking skeletons. We dropped a hemlock loaded with angel moss in our backyard. The deer were all over it. My wife was feeling pretty bad for the deer, I told her she could feed them some old produce, figured she would toss it in the direction of the fallen tree. The next day I saw she had taken a bucket lid and placed some carrot sticks, apple slices and other stuff on it. A regular relish tray.
Posted By: white17

Re: Spring Thaw - 04/12/18 12:45 AM

Unfortunately, This really doesn't do much for ungulates. Unless you keep feeding them....................all it does is habituate them them to human handouts. We might all be better off dropping alders and birches in the yard to keep these critters alive
© 2024 Trapperman Forums