Home

I'm tired of turkeys, whitetail and bass

Posted By: waggler

I'm tired of turkeys, whitetail and bass - 04/15/18 01:01 AM

Am I just getting too cynical or are all hunting shows just infomercials anymore?

I went a while without cable then signed up. I only get the Pursuit Channel on my line-up, but I can view what's showing on the Outdoor Channel. Both channels look about the same except I see that for the next three hour the Outdoor Channel is running some 35 year old Mel Gibson movie. Is there really that big of shortage of quality outdoor programming?

I want to watch hunting adventures when I watch TV, not someone trying to sell an armchair outdoors-man something he doesn't really need.

Just had to vent a little; bout to unplug the entire thing.
Posted By: Ditchdiver

Re: I'm tired of turkeys, whitetail and bass - 04/15/18 01:05 AM

That's how they are now. I got rid of cable/dish about 3 years ago. If I want to watch anything, I get it online and cast it to my t.v. YouTube has anything you want.

Re: I'm tired of turkeys, whitetail and bass - 04/15/18 01:11 AM

I just checked and see that the Pursuit channel is showing an aoudad hunt at night with night vison, from the back of a truck at a feeder of course. What up next hour; spot-lighting deer?
Posted By: Tweed

Re: I'm tired of turkeys, whitetail and bass - 04/15/18 01:14 AM

Just infomercials interrupted by commercials.

I'm glad so many people spend money doing what we love or else we might be even less relevant though..... But....I'll keep my money by keeping it simple.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: I'm tired of turkeys, whitetail and bass - 04/15/18 01:19 AM

Whitetail...the god of "0utdoor" programming, and don't forget....wait....wait...wait Broadside, only a Broadside shot. Nothing else acceptable. Geezz. If I would have waited for a Broadside all these years my 4 kids and Wife would never have eaten meat!
Posted By: iowayote

Re: I'm tired of turkeys, whitetail and bass - 04/15/18 01:27 AM

I'm tired of the catch phrases. I sometimes watch with the volume down to avoid:
'Big buck down"
'Shoot em in the face"
"Slock em"
"Shank!'
'If it flies, it dies"
Etc...
Jim Shockey is about the only one I watch anymore.
Posted By: mutt

Re: I'm tired of turkeys, whitetail and bass - 04/15/18 02:14 AM

I dono what channel the show would be on, but try Randy Newbergs Fresh Tracks.
I dont have cable so I watch him on youtube. Awsome guy with an awsome show. He does western hunts all on public land.
Posted By: Anglinscreek

Re: I'm tired of turkeys, whitetail and bass - 04/15/18 02:19 AM

Meat eater is a good show.
Posted By: Ryan McLeod

Re: I'm tired of turkeys, whitetail and bass - 04/15/18 02:22 AM

Originally Posted By: Anglinscreek

Yup.
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: I'm tired of turkeys, whitetail and bass - 04/15/18 02:24 AM

X2 on the Meateater and Jim Shockey.
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: I'm tired of turkeys, whitetail and bass - 04/15/18 02:34 AM

I’m tired of the commercials and all the advertising too. But what really bugs me is the lack of good picture quality from subpar video equipment being use to record the hunts. Also the people video taping not knowing how to video tape for tv.
I watch hunting shows on the internet now mostly cause there are some guys that really put money, time, and effort into putting up a quality video rather than just a kill shot from 300 yards and a video camera that can’t zoom in far enough.
Posted By: muskrat411

Re: I'm tired of turkeys, whitetail and bass - 04/15/18 02:39 AM

I watched the Justice League movie the other day. Not terrible I liked it. Don't know what all the whinning is about. I thought it was perfectly good for a super hero movie. Internet is a big expertise in group think. Except t-man
Posted By: Zim

Re: I'm tired of turkeys, whitetail and bass - 04/15/18 02:46 AM

Last few times I saw Shockey on tv he was sitting around a bunch of natives in an African country I never heard of sharing meat from an animal I never heard of and preaching the gospel like Savell with a bunch of them pentacostal women.

Zim
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: I'm tired of turkeys, whitetail and bass - 04/15/18 03:35 AM

I'll consider watching again when someone tells me they actually recover a deer the same day its shot. "lets back on outa here and givem a chance to bloat'up good".
Posted By: Ditchdiver

Re: I'm tired of turkeys, whitetail and bass - 04/15/18 03:50 AM

Originally Posted By: Diggerman
I'll consider watching again when someone tells me they actually recover a deer the same day its shot. "lets back on outa here and givem a chance to bloat'up good".
I always thought that was rediculous, too. They'll put a great shot on a buck, at 12-1-2 o'clock in the afternoon, and when they recover it, it's pitch black outside or the next day!
Posted By: charles

Re: I'm tired of turkeys, whitetail and bass - 04/15/18 04:28 AM

I feel your pain. All the hunting shows and magazine articles on hunting and firearms are now about tactical rifles and arms.
Posted By: Jonnytrapper

Re: I'm tired of turkeys, whitetail and bass - 04/15/18 10:40 AM

I love Meateater. He even trapped some beaver one show.
Posted By: deerdragger

Re: I'm tired of turkeys, whitetail and bass - 04/15/18 12:41 PM

I recall watching a whitetail "hunt" that was taking place in Texas. About 50 yards in front of the elevated box stand there was a tripod feeder - with a dozen or so deer under it. Just as the guy was about to shoot a decent buck out of the group, the automatic timer on the feeder went off and spooked the deer away. The guy turned his head to look into the camera and said, "well, that's huntin' I guess".

That was the end of The Outdoor Channel for me.

Re: I'm tired of turkeys, whitetail and bass - 04/15/18 12:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Anglinscreek

Couldn't agree more.

The only hunting show I look for.

Re: I'm tired of turkeys, whitetail and bass - 04/15/18 12:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Jurassic Park
I’m tired of the commercials and all the advertising too. But what really bugs me is the lack of good picture quality from subpar video equipment being use to record the hunts. Also the people video taping not knowing how to video tape for tv.

Maybe the poor quality video is to hide the poor quality hunt.
Posted By: BullOx

Re: I'm tired of turkeys, whitetail and bass - 04/15/18 01:11 PM

Yep, I love the ones where they're on a high fence ranch and got a HUGE buck in front of them and say "I'm looking for a bigger one". Sorry but I don't think hunting a deer that's as people-friendly as a cow is hunting. And when the feeder goes off you see dozens of deer come running in
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: I'm tired of turkeys, whitetail and bass - 04/15/18 01:15 PM

Western hunter is the best hunting show, almost all hunting, no boring minute by minute interview update to fill time
Posted By: Riverotter2

Re: I'm tired of turkeys, whitetail and bass - 04/15/18 01:46 PM

Mossy Oak did some filming this past week with my boy on trapping that to air this summer. Going to do some more filming later on. I was suppose to be in it but got knee replacement and couldn't be there first go around.

Re: I'm tired of turkeys, whitetail and bass - 04/15/18 02:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Tactical.20
Western hunter is the best hunting show, almost all hunting, no boring minute by minute interview update to fill time

I agree the format of Western Hunter makes for enjoyable watching........but, if you only knew some of the details.

Re: I'm tired of turkeys, whitetail and bass - 04/15/18 02:28 PM

And the same with the Bass fishing! They need to film some Big Halibut!

Re: I'm tired of turkeys, whitetail and bass - 04/15/18 03:14 PM

Tell me on pm waggler, I thought they made a good show, I like watching Nate hunt deer n elk
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: I'm tired of turkeys, whitetail and bass - 04/15/18 03:28 PM

Only NASCAR has more sponsors it seems, could be a tie!

Re: I'm tired of turkeys, whitetail and bass - 04/16/18 05:36 AM

This morning I found a YouTuber that my daughter's like.

She has sponsors but it's not ridiculous. She's fun and has great practical advice and also shows plenty of fail.

Posted By: BernieB.

Re: I'm tired of turkeys, whitetail and bass - 04/16/18 11:57 AM

Originally Posted By: Tweed

She has sponsors but it's don't rediculous. She's fun and has great practical advice and also shows plenty of fail.

Had to turn that off after about 15 seconds to avoid hurling on my computer screen.

Outdoor TV is going to make a major correction over the next couple years. Sponsor money is drying up and being spread too thin. The channels are going to have to adjust and probably a couple of them will die. Hundreds of wannabe TV stars have poured their savings into trying to become the next big star and finally they are realizing it doesn't work. Maybe there's an endless supply of suckers, but I doubt it.
Posted By: corky

Re: I'm tired of turkeys, whitetail and bass - 04/16/18 12:02 PM

Bernie x2
Posted By: Allan Minear

Re: I'm tired of turkeys, whitetail and bass - 04/16/18 01:35 PM

I agree with many on being tired of you need this or that food plot to kill a deer ha ha ok
Jim Shockey isn't to bad and I've always enjoyed the Eastman films because of fair chase and for the most part no BS .
The Meat Eater show isn't bad either and then there's uncle Ted he's a kick just because .
Many of the "Outdoor" shows instill with me pride in my shooting abilities the game animals I kill with recovery in minutes not after dark.
Allan
Posted By: ambush32

Re: I'm tired of turkeys, whitetail and bass - 04/16/18 02:08 PM

Hopefully the sponsor money dries up for the Crush and Stan Potts soon...

What happened to the humble tv hunting host....

Posted By: PaRay

Re: I'm tired of turkeys, whitetail and bass - 04/16/18 02:13 PM

I'm so tired of "He needs one more year"

It's getting past the point of ridiculous

Re: I'm tired of turkeys, whitetail and bass - 04/16/18 02:20 PM

Can't even watch Potts at all or the Tiffany game ranch show. Not even one minute!

Re: I'm tired of turkeys, whitetail and bass - 04/16/18 02:29 PM

One of Potts episodes he actually started to cry..crazy....

Re: I'm tired of turkeys, whitetail and bass - 04/16/18 02:33 PM

Originally Posted By: 330-Trapper
Can't even watch Potts at all or the Tiffany game ranch show. Not even one minute!

The video I posted is only .19 of Potts and I’m about to throw up.....

Re: I'm tired of turkeys, whitetail and bass - 04/16/18 02:51 PM

Originally Posted By: ambush32

Now there a couple examples of bad and good hunting shows.

On another related subject; although I'm not big into whooping and hollering after a kill is made, what's with all the whispering after the shot?
Posted By: Allan Minear

Re: I'm tired of turkeys, whitetail and bass - 04/16/18 03:13 PM

Waggler that's simple they haven't gone back and reviewed the footage to see if they made a good shot. I'm not a trophy Hunter I like filling the freezer with good meat to feed my family & friends and will thank God for allowing me to shoot straight and take and humanely kill it.
Allan
Posted By: pcr2

Re: I'm tired of turkeys, whitetail and bass - 04/16/18 03:23 PM

Ive proven since antler restrictions that the 5 point buck taste best.

Tom Miranda and Shockey are about all i can take.Rather go make a mental movie of and on my own.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: I'm tired of turkeys, whitetail and bass - 04/16/18 03:31 PM

Letting the cable provider as well as the pursuit channel know you're a UN happy customer would be a good idea

Re: I'm tired of turkeys, whitetail and bass - 04/16/18 03:36 PM

Originally Posted By: ambush32

I like the Fred Bear videos too but we're kidding ourselves we don't think those aren't Bear commercials.

Re: I'm tired of turkeys, whitetail and bass - 04/16/18 04:32 PM

100% agree Tweed....Fred Bear was a self promoter of his archery business, but I believe(just me)he did it in a tasteful way..
Fred loved archery and wanted everyone to enjoy the sport....
Posted By: Rye

Re: I'm tired of turkeys, whitetail and bass - 04/16/18 04:48 PM

There are some YT channels I follow that are all public land hunting and aren’t sponsored (Yet). Once they become infomercials I move on. The commercialization started with Rolland Martin and Jimmy Huston. Two of the biggest product (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) to ever walk. It just got worse form there. It’s been this way for more than 25 years. Where have you been?

Re: I'm tired of turkeys, whitetail and bass - 04/16/18 04:51 PM

I don't mind Stan Potts' over the top reactions, it's genuine emotion. Not my style but I get it.

What I don't like is walking down the aisles at the industry trade shows and seeing the companies signing the latest and greatest pretty face girl in tight camo pants, when some guys have worked hard for years to deliver good return on investment only to see the company they helped build start shipping paychecks to a blonde who hardly knows which end of an arrow to put the broadhead on. Hunting shows are just getting cheap and I'm not against women hunting at all, I'm just against the lack of good content. If all you're watching outdoor TV shows for is to see a pretty girl hunting, it's not sustainable and these companies are starting to find out that if they want to get a good return on investment, they better start spending their money on the shows that educate and entertain the masses. We need more hunters, especially skilled hunters that don't give us a black eye in the public like a lot of these yahoos and their bad English and their bad advice on these shows today.

It will correct itself, and the companies along with the stations and shows who understand how to have longevity will survive.
Posted By: bass10

Re: I'm tired of turkeys, whitetail and bass - 04/16/18 05:22 PM

I have no problem with some of them. Am entertained very, very little but watch occasionally but very rarely from start to finish.
Lee and Tiffany are OK, Lee put in his time and made a gamble in life to quit a great paying job to pursue his passion. Good for him.
With the success came the sponsors and with that came the dollars to buy primo farms in a super state. He now has great properties to
hunt and is afforded the opportunity to do it full time, so on top of being a good hunter he can work on it 365 days a year. Good for him
but not reality for most of us.
T got turned off at an outdoor show when Waddell was there and people were lined up for 100 yards for his autograph, SAY WHAT? What the heck
are you gonna do with that and why would you waste one second of your life waiting to get it? My buddy bought a video of name escapes me but a
hottie and was excited she signed it. I said who the heck cares, you wasted your money and your time.
Posted By: Clark

Re: I'm tired of turkeys, whitetail and bass - 04/16/18 05:24 PM

Originally Posted By: BernieB.
Had to turn that off after about 15 seconds to avoid hurling on my computer screen.

I couldn't stand her either but just to clarify, no one on this board is her target audience. Tweed said his daughter watched her and that is great. Young women need another woman to show them hunting. I applaud her efforts because she will probably do more to recruit hunter than most of us.

waggler - Check out Randy Newberg on youtube. He seems to be genuine and an actual hunter, not a personality designed for a show.

Clark
Posted By: Arkansas87

Re: I'm tired of turkeys, whitetail and bass - 04/16/18 05:45 PM

Fnt has a show on the persuit chanell called freedom outdoors. I have watched it a couple times and was pritty good. I haven't seen it on lately tho I wonder if they cancelled it?
Posted By: Anglinscreek

Re: I'm tired of turkeys, whitetail and bass - 04/16/18 06:23 PM

Had a friend who met Stan Potts while they were BOTH on DIY archery hunts in Illinois. He said Stan was a genuine great guy with a love for deer hunting. They still correspond to this day.

My buddy killed a 130 and Stan came over to see it and was ecstatic for him. Said everything about Stan was genuine.
Posted By: Aaron Proffitt

Re: I'm tired of turkeys, whitetail and bass - 04/16/18 08:25 PM

Stan Potts is a super nice guy . Really like him . Same with Steve Rinella and Jim Shockey.
Posted By: ol' dad

Re: I'm tired of turkeys, whitetail and bass - 04/16/18 08:35 PM

The Hunting Public and Dan Infalt's "The Hunting Beast" are both good youtube channels that are down to earth, informative, and non-commercialized...so far. You can learn more from watching 5 mins of Dan Infalt that you can a decade from any of the scripted and post edited crap on paid tv.

ol'dad
Posted By: billsauk

Re: I'm tired of turkeys, whitetail and bass - 04/16/18 08:36 PM

waggler - Check out Randy Newberg on youtube. He seems to be genuine and an actual hunter, not a personality designed for a show.

Clark [/quote]

Randy's tv show is a good one, and he is a trapper on trapperman also.
Posted By: kickin buck

Re: I'm tired of turkeys, whitetail and bass - 04/16/18 08:49 PM

Don't forget they all begin with a slow motion or time lapsed intro lol!

Re: I'm tired of turkeys, whitetail and bass - 04/16/18 10:20 PM

I don't mind Stan Potts' over the top reactions, it's genuine emotion. Not my style but I get it.

What I don't like is walking down the aisles at the industry trade shows and seeing the companies signing the latest and greatest pretty face girl in tight camo pants, when some guys have worked hard for years to deliver good return on investment only to see the company they helped build start shipping paychecks to a blonde who hardly knows which end of an arrow to put the broadhead on. Hunting shows are just getting cheap and I'm not against women hunting at all, I'm just against the lack of good content. If all you're watching outdoor TV shows for is to see a pretty girl hunting, it's not sustainable and these companies are starting to find out that if they want to get a good return on investment, they better start spending their money on the shows that educate and entertain the masses. We need more hunters, especially skilled hunters that don't give us a black eye in the public like a lot of these yahoos and their bad English and their bad advice on these shows today.

It will correct itself, and the companies along with the stations and shows who understand how to have longevity will survive.
The Blonds on these shows now, hunt and kill their own animals,not a one of the Female hunters are or act fake. Potts is Not exhibiting anything real... Totally put on performance! I disagree with your take on it all...I raised 4 kids, 3 daughters and two out of 3 hunt so does my Son. I think the women are good for the industry.
Posted By: Ryan McLeod

Re: I'm tired of turkeys, whitetail and bass - 04/16/18 10:40 PM

I hate hearing them say " Oh I made a perfect shot, it don't get no more perfect than that" as the deer is running away to be found the next day. I don't like the ego involved most of all. Most look like they stepped out of a catalog too with all their new equipment. Ive been wearing the same camo sweater for about 10 years now.
Posted By: Boco

Re: I'm tired of turkeys, whitetail and bass - 04/16/18 11:03 PM

I don't watch hunting on TV.

Re: I'm tired of turkeys, whitetail and bass - 04/16/18 11:11 PM

Originally Posted By: 330-Trapper

The Blonds on these shows now, hunt and kill their own animals,not a one of the Female hunters are or act fake. Potts is Not exhibiting anything real... Totally put on performance! I disagree with your take on it all...I raised 4 kids, 3 daughters and two out of 3 hunt so does my Son. I think the women are good for the industry.

I know these people personally. Obviously you do not.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: I'm tired of turkeys, whitetail and bass - 04/16/18 11:19 PM

Sat am at my house meant watching ALL the fishing shows, till they became too crass and went to cable.
Babe Winkleman was the last to go, and who can ever forget Virgil Ward and his superb theme song.

Re: I'm tired of turkeys, whitetail and bass - 04/17/18 01:11 AM

[quote=BernieB I know these people personally. Obviously you do not. [/quote] Thank god I don't He's an obvious "I, I, I" self promoter Way over the top. And Women in this industry are generally Good overall. You Bernie seem to have an account to grind about Women on the outdoors, that's your choice, your beef. My oppinion is mine that's how I see it;yours is yours.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: I'm tired of turkeys, whitetail and bass - 04/17/18 01:50 AM

Originally Posted By: Tweed

She has sponsors but it's not ridiculous. She's fun and has great practical advice and also shows plenty of fail.

Unless she can do a handstand and shoot her bow with her feet in those tights, and can learn how to shut up, I am through with her.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: I'm tired of turkeys, whitetail and bass - 04/17/18 01:57 AM

I was watching one of those Texas "hunts" They kept talking about waiting for the deer to come out onto the senderos. It looked like real thick cover except for the bush hog straight aways in front of the elevated box stands.
Judging from the way the deer were scarfing down all of that corn, I am guessing "sendero" is Spanish for "bait pile". Or maybe, "bush hog trail".
Posted By: mnsota

Re: I'm tired of turkeys, whitetail and bass - 04/17/18 02:46 AM

Am I just getting too cynical or are all hunting shows just infomercials anymore?

I went a while without cable then signed up. I only get the Pursuit Channel on my line-up, but I can view what's showing on the Outdoor Channel. Both channels look about the same except I see that for the next three hour the Outdoor Channel is running some 35 year old Mel Gibson movie. Is there really that big of shortage of quality outdoor programming?

I want to watch hunting adventures when I watch TV, not someone trying to sell an armchair outdoors-man something he doesn't really need.

Just had to vent a little; bout to unplug the entire thing.

Um,..Waggler,.no need to hamper yourself searching for the ultimate adventure,..you're there already!

I like Mel Gibson

Re: I'm tired of turkeys, whitetail and bass - 04/17/18 01:46 PM

© 2024 Trapperman Forums