Home

Feral Hog Hunting Ideas

Posted By: RiverRat1265

Feral Hog Hunting Ideas - 04/16/18 01:55 AM

I am currently looking around at different southern states to see which state gives me the best chance of shooting a Few Feral Hogs, for the best cost. I went on a Guided Feral hog hunt a few years ago south of Oklahoma city, Oklahoma. And yes I was successful but for 500$ I feel There wasn't enough challenge for me, I would rather spend a 4 days and a 250$ and get nothing. Then sit in a A/c pill box stand and have my pick at 50 different hogs for 500.
But I also want the freedom of being able to Shoot more then one hog.. Maybe 4-5 to give meat to the family and fill my Freezer. A lot of people are subjective of the taste of feral hog but I enjoyed it last time I had it.

I've looked at a few different states and Georgia looks like the best A the Fort Stewart hunting area. Only 100$ for a hunting License. If I could shoot 4-5 100lb hogs and get 250-300lbs of fresh meat I think the whole trip would be worth it. Plus 100$ to work on my tracking and archery skills. (Yes I would only use a bow)
Posted By: Ditchdiver

Re: Feral Hog Hunting Ideas - 04/16/18 02:25 AM

I may be wrong, but I think you can shoot as many as you want in Florida with a small game tag ($60.00 for a non resident?) Maybe someone from Florida can confirm this or tell me I'm way off base...
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Feral Hog Hunting Ideas - 04/16/18 02:40 AM

In SC with a big game ticket, you can shoot, knife or strangle as many as you want
Posted By: AJE

Re: Feral Hog Hunting Ideas - 04/16/18 03:33 AM

I've heard they knife them. I can't imagine that rush.

I had a co worker go hog hunting in Iowa. They had a hoot, but it was on a game farm.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Feral Hog Hunting Ideas - 04/16/18 04:07 AM

And there's the problem. Feral hogs ain't game and not sport for someone to get paid. They are vermin to be exterminated.
Posted By: tlguy

Re: Feral Hog Hunting Ideas - 04/16/18 04:09 AM

I saw an episode of Meat Eater where a butcher who cuts up a ton of feral hogs said you could expect about 30% boneless meat by weight of a normal hog if I remember right. Someone who actually hunts a lot of hogs could probably confirm or correct that, just throwing it out there. At that rate, your five hundred pound hogs would yield closer to 150 pounds of meat.
Posted By: Riverotter2

Re: Feral Hog Hunting Ideas - 04/16/18 12:47 PM

Man just look up and call around on National Forest lands in the deep south. Talladega Forest down here is full of pigs in spots of it. I know one or two people that might could show you were to hunt. When I was trapping for them I knew where some pigs where and I'm sure their still there. Mostly around creek and swamp bottoms. Now these pigs are smart, real smart and you will hunt and hunt hard. Thing about NFL hogs it just takes more time to get set up on em. I would think fall would be the best time to hunt em. Less water and less hunters.
Posted By: bur

Re: Feral Hog Hunting Ideas - 04/16/18 02:52 PM

riverrat, if you signed a waiver releasing any liability of getting hurt, most any farmer in my area would be happy to let you hunt for free, all you wanted. problem is now is turkey season. best time for us in SC is after Jan 1, and before March 20. Plantation owners pay anywhere from $20-40 per pig for trapping services down here.

Re: Feral Hog Hunting Ideas - 04/16/18 03:14 PM

Bur, If you could get me some phone numbers or talk to some guys for me. I would love it. I would have no problem signing a release wavier. (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) I’d even pay them to let me maybe Setup a small camp site. Private land I would be able to freely use a firearm and have more time to hunt and process the animals.

I plan to drive down with two LARGE chest freezers in a car trailer with a generator powering them. Same system we used last time we went to Oklahoma.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Feral Hog Hunting Ideas - 04/16/18 03:27 PM

SC has plenty on public land
Posted By: bur

Re: Feral Hog Hunting Ideas - 04/16/18 05:41 PM

ill ask around and see what i come up with

Re: Feral Hog Hunting Ideas - 04/16/18 06:06 PM

Thank you
Posted By: The Possum Man

Re: Feral Hog Hunting Ideas - 04/16/18 06:08 PM

I have hunted ft stewart. Lots and lots of land and hogs. Bring your snake boots! lots and lots of those too. Plenty of hogs here in bama, not sure what a nonresident would need to pay to hunt. But you can kill as many as you have ammo for. Plenty around, but seems they are mostly on private land around me. Just talked to a landowner this morning about getting a nuisance permit so we can go in there at night which is about the only time they move it seems.
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: Feral Hog Hunting Ideas - 04/16/18 08:08 PM

Don't over look California
Posted By: gregh

Re: Feral Hog Hunting Ideas - 04/16/18 08:26 PM

If you want a rush get in contact with the hog hunters that use dogs. It is fun and can get dangerous at times

Re: Feral Hog Hunting Ideas - 04/16/18 09:51 PM

Where at in Bama public land? I’ll pay I just want some fun

Re: Feral Hog Hunting Ideas - 04/17/18 01:44 AM

Fort Stewart Caught my attention because of the fact I can use water to access deep in the the wilderness. I love exploring the wilderness, I rather have a hard hunt then a easy hunt. But I do want meat smile

Re: Feral Hog Hunting Ideas - 04/17/18 01:58 AM

On ft stewart there are plenty of roads to access everything. The river that runs through doesnt really access anything unless you just like wading through swamps and snakes. The hogs are found in all the food plots they keep planted and in the timber.

Re: Feral Hog Hunting Ideas - 04/17/18 02:02 AM

Be sure to read up on all the regs..there is a game warden per acre there, you will get stopped and checked and they will write civilians a ticket in a heart beat. Also, dont park next to the stupid woodpecker trees they are everywhere and if you park within 100yds its a fine for disturbing an endangered species that really isnt endangered. Had to explain to the 1sg one monday morning why i got a ticket for parking in the woods.

Re: Feral Hog Hunting Ideas - 04/17/18 02:09 AM

Not trying to deter you from going to stewart..its really a great place to hunt. Im sure a blind man could stumble into pigs there. I know i did. I also stumbled into some of the biggest timber rattlers and gators i have ever seen. Stewart is absolutely full of gators. Me and the wife counted near 25 in one small 2-3acre pond. and i have seen the 2 absolute biggest gators on that river you are wanted to cruise around in. They were at least 12ft. Also need to realize its not like a national forest, lots of that place will be off limits due to training and that changes daily. You cant camp out there, you have to check in and out when going onto the land. Lots of procedure to use the land, but it is a fine place to hunt.
Posted By: charles

Re: Feral Hog Hunting Ideas - 04/17/18 02:25 AM

My memory of domestic hogs is that I lost about 1/3 of weight when gutted, and after cooking the whole hog and chopping the bbq, I got 50% of the gutted weight. So a 150 lb hog dressed with head and skin on, might net 100 lbs and cook out 50lbs of bbq.

Think this is correct. It has been 25 years since killing a hog for bbq.

Since wild hogs are more lean, their yield might be less, sort of like when you dress a 20lb gobbler you dont get the same yield as a similar domestic turkey.

Posted By: OhioBoy

Re: Feral Hog Hunting Ideas - 04/17/18 11:07 AM

They say wild hog is hit or miss weather its bad tasting or just down right disgusting. Some said age matters. Others say it just depends on the day and the hog. Beats me. I've never seen one just curious.
Posted By: jtg

Re: Feral Hog Hunting Ideas - 04/17/18 12:28 PM

We castrate the males, notch their ears and let them go or keep them in a pen, worm them with ivomec at least twice and feed them for a few months.

If you shoot one, the small females are the best, forget about the boars and older ones.

Re: Feral Hog Hunting Ideas - 04/18/18 10:35 PM

Yea, I learned that from there website.I was curious on the fact that I could Drive in Pretty far walk in and shoot a few hogs but then I would need a place to dispose of the carcass and To skin and Butcher.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums