Home

Need help - a mule deer/elk hunt in the mountains

Posted By: swedeole

Need help - a mule deer/elk hunt in the mountains - 04/16/18 04:27 AM

This is not for me - I'm a waterfowler who loves the Canadian prairies - but for a buddy who needs some help in finding the right hunt this fall.

So my friend is a mule deer and elk hunter. That's what he lives for. The last 10 years he's been going to the mountains of Colorado and hunting out there. Primarily mule deer and secondarily elk. But recently the competition where he has been hunting in Colorado has been getting too fierce, and the game too scarce. He's been doing a "drive-to" camp and then walking each day up high.

This year, because of the competition, he decided not to go back to the same spot, but now he's having a hard time deciding/finding on a new place.

A few things about him - he's 67, but can walk the mountains all day. Tougher than heck. Hard-core conservative. Polish. But he likes a spot without lots of competition - he likes to get way back, and the rougher and quieter the better. He ain't afraid to work. But he's not the most technological savvy guy, so he's having a hard time finding a good hunt.

He'd be open to hunting Montana, Colorado, Wyoming, and Idaho.

And he DOESN'T want a guide. He's a 100% do-it-yourselfer. Hunt by yourself, kill your game, butcher it, and pack it out, and then drink some whiskey around the fire that night.

And I think he'd like a drop-camp outfitter - someone who could bring him way back into the mountains by pack mule or horse, and then pick him up a week later.

You guys on here are a wealth of information - does anyone have any good, reputable sources who could make this work?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!
Posted By: Medlaketrap

Re: Need help - a mule deer/elk hunt in the mountains - 04/16/18 12:17 PM

try the Crazy mountains in montana....rough country...get off road a ways and you'll be alone
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Need help - a mule deer/elk hunt in the mountains - 04/16/18 01:10 PM

It will take a few years to build points for wy, Montana might be easier or Idaho
Posted By: Medlaketrap

Re: Need help - a mule deer/elk hunt in the mountains - 04/16/18 01:17 PM

Its been a tough winter here all across the state... might be a bad time to try new areas... numbers are gonna be lower I'm guessing. Lots of snow and been cold
Posted By: grumpa

Re: Need help - a mule deer/elk hunt in the mountains - 04/16/18 02:15 PM

Idaho's game numbers have been decreasing for a while due to varied reasons. tons of snow up high this year. Can't increase game numbers with no breeding stock.

Re: Need help - a mule deer/elk hunt in the mountains - 04/16/18 02:54 PM

Is there a way to get into the Crazy Mountains? Looks like it's all private land around them.

Mulies there? Over the counter tags available?

Anyone know of a good outfitter that could get a small crew back into some wild country?

Anyone have any personal experience with that kind of thing?
Posted By: bbasher

Re: Need help - a mule deer/elk hunt in the mountains - 04/16/18 03:37 PM

Most of the wildlife in MT is on private land. The more wild the country the less likely you are to see any game. If your buddy doesn’t mind eating a tag he could hunt the bob Marshall wilderness. There are more elk around White Sulphur Springs but there are also a million midwesterners who hunt there as well.

Re: Need help - a mule deer/elk hunt in the mountains - 04/16/18 03:58 PM

Good information - thanks!

Anyone else???
Posted By: mnsota

Re: Need help - a mule deer/elk hunt in the mountains - 04/16/18 04:12 PM

Maybe Snowy will chime in here and lend a little info on Montana.
Posted By: MTtraps

Re: Need help - a mule deer/elk hunt in the mountains - 04/16/18 05:01 PM

Swede, Have your buddy check the FWP website. Now that my dad is too old to hunt out here I don't follow any Non Resident regs, but I think the drawing just past. He can check for any surplus in a bit (not sure when) or if he wants cow elk he can put in for a B tag in June 1st drawing. I live in the White Sulphur area, we have less than 2000 residents in this county but we do get swamped by every idiot with a 4 wheeler, both out of town and out of state. There is some Block Management places plus a lot of public though, it's not easy but you can get away from the "drive around" noisy bunch. Have him check maps, online (Montana Cadastral) and paper(Forest Service & BLM ) Crazies have poor acsess but here is some (1 on the east, 1 north and a few on the west side). The Castles and Little Belts have a lot of roads but some get closed during season so that helps. Most of the private has some vampire (outfitter) leasing it.
Posted By: Clark

Re: Need help - a mule deer/elk hunt in the mountains - 04/16/18 05:17 PM

Originally Posted By: mnsota
Maybe Snowy will chime in here and lend a little info on Montana.

That's funny.

Clark

Re: Need help - a mule deer/elk hunt in the mountains - 04/16/18 06:17 PM

I'm sure we all know what snowy would/will say about Minnesotans coming to hunt out west!

I'll have him check those out - MT. Thanks!

Any easterners have any input on who could pack a guy into the mountains?
Posted By: adam m

Re: Need help - a mule deer/elk hunt in the mountains - 04/16/18 09:00 PM

There's good hunting in NM no otc for most big game. It's all draw and we don't have a point system.
Posted By: mixed bag

Re: Need help - a mule deer/elk hunt in the mountains - 04/16/18 11:31 PM

Eastern Montana around in the Missouri River Breaks is a great mule deer hunting area as is all eastern Montana.There is tons of public hunting and block management places open to hunt.Season is 6 weeks long and includes the rut during rifle.Draw odds are like 80% for NR and he missed this year's draw.But if all I want is a muley,Montana is where I go
Posted By: Outlaw99

Re: Need help - a mule deer/elk hunt in the mountains - 04/17/18 12:56 AM

Montana put in is over. Idaho would be his best bet for a combo over the counter
© 2024 Trapperman Forums