Home

Opening day turkey

Posted By: illinideer

Opening day turkey - 04/16/18 03:51 PM

Shot this tom at 7:30 this morning. Crap weather snowing and windy 20mph temp was 33 at sunup. Got in the woods just before sun up heard a gobble across the creek. After getting set up had 3 toms and a bunch of hens roosted across the creek and one tom behind me on top of the ridge. The only call they would answer was my box call. Only one they could hear once they hit the ground the toms shut up I got the boss hen so worked up she finally came across the creek total of 4 hens and the 3 toms. 2 of the hens came right beside me and went up the ridge the other 2 were getting run around by the toms finally got within 35 yards and I rolled this guy. 1 5/8 buffered hand load 3 inch 12ga.
10 inch beard 7/8 spurs 19lbs.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Opening day turkey - 04/16/18 03:53 PM

very nice,can't wait.
Posted By: bandy

Re: Opening day turkey - 04/16/18 04:17 PM

Still no luck here
Posted By: ambush32

Re: Opening day turkey - 04/16/18 04:34 PM

Great job...some good eating there....can’t wait for my season to start....
Posted By: possumcatcher

Re: Opening day turkey - 04/16/18 05:04 PM

Nice!! Ive passed up some jakes this year. Still holding out for a big tom
Posted By: Trapper Dan2

Re: Opening day turkey - 04/16/18 05:06 PM

Congrs on the bird.

I killed a bearded hen this morning north east of you a few counties.
When I left at 9:00 the snow was about an inch deep.It was the strangest
turkey hunting weather I have ever seen.

Note-Bearded hens are legal in Il.

Dan
Posted By: snowy

Re: Opening day turkey - 04/16/18 06:19 PM

Great and nice bird!
I didn't go I have been busy with others things. I like to go when it get warner it seems the gobblers are more cooperative.
Posted By: huntrap247

Re: Opening day turkey - 04/16/18 08:00 PM

Nice bird!

I was out this morning, 24 degrees, 4 inches of snow on the ground and snowing and blowing!! That was a first for me!

Saw lots of birds, were still in their winter group, and couldn't get them to respond to calling at all.

I'll be back out there tomorrow!
Posted By: red webb

Re: Opening day turkey - 04/16/18 11:22 PM

Nothing here .
Posted By: RKH

Re: Opening day turkey - 04/16/18 11:30 PM

Nicely done ..congrats
Posted By: 2 TRAPS

Re: Opening day turkey - 04/16/18 11:44 PM

No luck and poor weather has me wishing I took vacation time next week
Posted By: Dfabs

Re: Opening day turkey - 04/16/18 11:57 PM

Terrible opening day this morning here. We got a couple inches of rain last night, and it was torrential downpour and fog all day long. I stayed out until 9am. By that time, I was froze, and the fog was so thick I couldn't even see my decoy 20yds away in the field. I never heard a bird. There are some still grouped up in their winter groups here. I saw one group of gobblers out scouting on Saturday and they responded to a call really well, and I watched a gobbler breed a hen on Saturday also. I wish I could still post pictures on here because I took a picture of him, and a couple of videos. It's hit a miss still here though. It's snowing right now. They are calling for less than an inch of accumulation though. We will see what happens in the morning. Kevin, I'm waiting for a nice day to take your dad's box call for a walk, but I won't carry my boxes when it's raining. Good luck everybody.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Opening day turkey - 04/17/18 12:02 AM

Month of May ..in NH
Posted By: Huntall76

Re: Opening day turkey - 04/17/18 12:24 AM

Nice bird, I can't wait!
Posted By: Anglinscreek

Re: Opening day turkey - 04/17/18 12:27 AM

Our opening day was today. Didn't hear a single bird this morning.mkilled one at noon.

Posted By: robert.d12

Re: Opening day turkey - 04/17/18 12:40 AM

We had a hen walk through the back yard tonight, just enough to get me exited for the opener
Posted By: Dfabs

Re: Opening day turkey - 04/17/18 01:54 AM

Originally Posted By: Anglinscreek
Our opening day was today. Didn't hear a single bird this morning.mkilled one at noon.

Anglins, it looks a lot drier there than it was up here. I don't see any water puddles anywhere. You definitely weren't going to be sitting on the ground anywhere up here. Nice birds everybody. Congrats
© 2024 Trapperman Forums