Home

Cholesterol

Posted By: waggler

Cholesterol - 04/19/18 03:12 PM

I just got back my cholesterol test results, the last test was done nearly five years ago. Five years ago my total cholesterol was high and my LDL (bad cholesterol) was high.

My recent tests came back with greatly improved results. The doctor was at a loss as to how I brought things in line since I refused to take their drugs to "fix" the problem. I told him the only thing I changed was I stopped eating pork, particularly bacon for breakfast everyday. I'm not fanatical about it; I'll still eat it if someone serves it to me.

I'm sure cholesterol is or should be a concern of many other trappers. Maybe my approach would work for you??
Posted By: BBarnes

Re: Cholesterol - 04/19/18 03:18 PM

Good for you,

I dropped mine doing the same thing. They don't realize that you don't need to take a pill especially a Statin to drop your Cholesterol.

Don't get me wrong I eat a bacon cheeseburger now and then but just watch things a lot closer then I use to.

B
Posted By: Goshachgunk

Re: Cholesterol - 04/19/18 04:33 PM

Cholesterol total 164
hdl-28.2
ldl-108
Tri-140
Sugar 110
Ratio 5.8
These were my numbers a couple years ago my doctor told me to get off the couch and exercise and lose weight he said my hdl should be higher than my ldl and I needed to lose weight to lower my tryglerides if not I was setting my self up for a heart attack.
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: Cholesterol - 04/19/18 07:21 PM

I get mine checked out next Friday at work (health fair)
Mine is a lot better since I got on zocor. I have family history of hi c. And change in my work at work, not much exercise. But is a lot better.
Posted By: Kevin Stake

Re: Cholesterol - 04/19/18 07:37 PM

I’ve fought with high cholesterol for 30 years. Family history isn’t good. I had 3 stents put in at 46 years old. My numbers are never low enough for the Dr’s. I get blood work done end of May. We will see where I’m at.
Posted By: AJE

Re: Cholesterol - 04/19/18 10:03 PM

Way to go.

I'd love to lower it naturally, but it didnt work for me. I dont eat bacon but maybe 4 times a year, so thats not the culprit.

Raising the good cholesterol (HDL)...now that is very tricky if not seemingly impossible (no good meds for that). I've tried OTC Niacin.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Cholesterol - 04/19/18 10:17 PM

Raising good cholesterol is easy-I did it by eating lots of sardines for snacks.You can also take Omega 3 oil capsules made from seals or fish.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Cholesterol - 04/19/18 10:23 PM

Some fat in your diet is a good thing. My Brother, "the Bunghole", is Psychotic about removing ALL fat from his diet, his Doc told him that was likely the reason for his stroke.
Posted By: keets

Re: Cholesterol - 04/19/18 10:32 PM

yous wanna lower bad cholesterol....drink at least 2 beers every night
Posted By: ratbrain

Re: Cholesterol - 04/20/18 12:55 AM

Originally Posted By: Boco
Raising good cholesterol is easy-I did it by eating lots of sardines for snacks.You can also take Omega 3 oil capsules made from seals or fish.

Nuts like walnuts are good too.
I have been fortunate to have decent cholesterol readings on my physical blood draws. Just got the latest bill (that was sent to insurance) at the tune of $1500.00
Maybe save everyone some $$$ and not check but every other or third year.
Posted By: tjm

Re: Cholesterol - 04/20/18 01:15 AM

I don't recall the numbers, but a couple years ago VA tested me and all numbers were two, maybe three, times what they should be, so Dr prescribed some meds and test again 2-3 months later. With the delay of my Dr getting results and mailing scripts I only took the pills about 4 weeks prior to second test which came back with extremely low numbers, so low the nurse called me to verify that I was not exceeding the dosage. Now, was one of the tests off the wall or did my body right the wrong without the pills or is it all malarkey?
Dr later took me off that pill because of side effects that might have been caused by them but did not start me on anything else.
Posted By: snowy

Re: Cholesterol - 04/20/18 01:35 AM

Ya you did very well to bring things down with out pills.
Posted By: The Possum Man

Re: Cholesterol - 04/20/18 01:50 AM

I said i was here for a good time, not a long time. My dad died at 47. So if i make it past that i will call it a win.

Re: Cholesterol - 04/20/18 02:01 AM

Possum, my dad passed away at 47 also in 1974. I'm 53 so far so good.
Posted By: Aaron Proffitt

Re: Cholesterol - 04/20/18 02:04 AM

Originally Posted By: waggler
I just got back my cholesterol test results, the last test was done nearly five years ago. Five years ago my total cholesterol was high and my LDL (bad cholesterol) was high.

My recent tests came back with greatly improved results. The doctor was at a loss as to how I brought things in line since I refused to take their drugs to "fix" the problem. I told him the only thing I changed was I stopped eating pork, particularly bacon for breakfast everyday. I'm not fanatical about it; I'll still eat it if someone serves it to me.

I'm sure cholesterol is or should be a concern of many other trappers. Maybe my approach would work for you??

That's quite a remarkable change
Posted By: Aaron Proffitt

Re: Cholesterol - 04/20/18 02:05 AM

Incidentally, mine is routinely through the roof. Genetics. Thanks, Mom.
Posted By: AJE

Re: Cholesterol - 04/20/18 03:30 AM

Genetics does play a role.
Posted By: Ronaround

Re: Cholesterol - 04/20/18 11:46 AM

Originally Posted By: waggler

Good work!! my Dr.says a glass of Red wine in evening is good to raise HDL (good one) my Cholesterol was 168- 6 weeks ago ,tested 2 weeks ago and 110 ,,but gave me that statin crap, i now break in half one my own.

Re: Cholesterol - 04/20/18 09:51 PM

Ron, 110 for your total? What is your LDL number? If I was that low I would not be taking any statin drug.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Cholesterol - 04/20/18 10:27 PM

Mine went from 204 to 130 , mainly from putting ground flax seed in my cereal
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Cholesterol - 04/20/18 11:31 PM

Combo of red yeast rice and garlic, I quit taking the statins as they were screwing me worse than not. Runs in the family and doesn't seem to matter what I eat,. So it's pizza tonight!!!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums