Home

Phone Scams?

Posted By: Moosetrot

Phone Scams? - 04/21/18 11:16 PM

In the last six months or so we have gotten a ton of calls from folks trying to sell us medical I.D. bracelets, insurance, and just about everything under the sun. We are on the federal no-call list and have caller I.D. on our phones. These calls come in under numbers of local individuals and businesses,so often we will answer only to find it is some scammer and we hang up or grind on them but good if in the mood. I usually call back the number listed on the caller I.D. and inform them their number is being hijacked.

What is this scam called and is there anyway to avoid it?

Moosetrot
Posted By: virgil1972

Re: Phone Scams? - 04/21/18 11:28 PM

I get the "We are calling about your credit card account" and "Can you hear me".
One time when the can you hear me people called I kept saying "No I can't", after about 5 or 6 times of that they hung up.
Posted By: MJM

Re: Phone Scams? - 04/21/18 11:57 PM

Try having a business phone. It rings full time for everything but business. I get the " There is a problem with your computer and it is going to cause windows to crash. We need your log in and password to fix it." I tell them I hate windows and I hope it crashes. If in the mood I like to see how long I can keep them on the line.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Phone Scams? - 04/22/18 12:00 AM

Originally Posted By: MJM
Try having a business phone. It rings full time for everything but business. I get the " There is a problem with your computer and it is going to cause windows to crash. We need your log in and password to fix it." I tell them I hate windows and I hope it crashes. If in the mood I like to see how long I can keep them on the line.

I get the google listing calls about every day. Though once I put ATT Call Protect on my smartphone, those have gone away, except for the spoofed number calls.
Posted By: nt2

Re: Phone Scams? - 04/22/18 12:00 AM

I had two more of the calls today. Before they can start their pitch, I tell them that the body has been disposed of where nobody will find it and that I expect the envelope with the cash in it better be in the agreed spot by midnight. They hang up on me immediately.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Phone Scams? - 04/22/18 12:27 AM

Originally Posted By: SNIPERBBB
Originally Posted By: MJM

I get the google listing calls about every day. Though once I put ATT Call Protect on my smartphone, those have gone away, except for the spoofed number calls.

I get the "Verify your Google listing" calls on my business landline everyday also, along with all sorts of calls from companies trying to sell me stuff or get me to advertise with them. I get more of those types of calls than customers looking for work even though that number is on the national do-not-call list.
Posted By: snowy

Re: Phone Scams? - 04/22/18 12:46 AM

I don't answer anything even if it is a local phone number/scam. If they want something they need to leave a message and if they don't I place that number on block that number.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Phone Scams? - 04/22/18 01:00 AM

I told the guy I was interested, hold on I need to clear my other line. He was waiting for over 20 minutes and never called again.
Posted By: Marty

Re: Phone Scams? - 04/22/18 01:08 AM

I tell them that I know where they are and am on my way over.... smile
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Phone Scams? - 04/22/18 02:28 AM

(Resort Rewards) here several times a month from a spoofed SD number, I don't even answer the land line unless the caller ID shows something familiar or they can just leave a message.
Posted By: trappergbus

Re: Phone Scams? - 04/22/18 02:32 AM

When I answer and say Walmart customer service, can I help you LOL.... Then I block the number.. If they are legit they'll leave a message..
Posted By: Macthediver

Re: Phone Scams? - 04/22/18 02:57 AM

Moosetrot
They got to be hitting the area hard. I've been getting several calls a day some days. Seems worse on Mondays starts around 11am goes all afternoon peaks again around 6pm.
Wish there was a way to Nuke them. I called one number back the other day was going to light the guy up, He had no idea his number was being used for insurance calls..glad I din't get nasty with him.
Now I've even got a warrant out for my arrest if I don't call back. Would like to let them talk to my glock make their ears ring. I Did that years ago to a guy kept calling to talk dirty. Told him to listen close had something special for him. Capped off a blank round in the 38 right in the receiver. He never called again.

Mac
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: Phone Scams? - 04/22/18 03:58 AM

My phone is for business. Unless I recognize the number, I do not answer. If the caller is legitimate, he/she will leave a message and I will immediately or shortly return the call. The insane people and telemarketers do not leave messages. This method simplifies my life and gives me peace.

Best wishes.
Posted By: Marty

Re: Phone Scams? - 04/22/18 04:02 AM

We are supposed to accept unwanted intrusion into our everyday lives...empathy and understanding.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Phone Scams? - 04/22/18 04:14 AM

Posted By: Chuckles84

Re: Phone Scams? - 04/22/18 09:23 AM

Originally Posted By: Law Dog
(Resort Rewards) here several times a month from a spoofed SD number, I don't even answer the land line unless the caller ID shows something familiar or they can just leave a message.

Is it always Elizabeth from resort rewards. She seems to be the only employee they have. Atleast on the calls around here.
Posted By: AJE

Re: Phone Scams? - 04/22/18 10:46 AM

Mac and Moose, I get it quite often lately too. All I have is a cell phone, so it's not just landlines. Yes, the number shows up as a local number. Very annoying. Makes ya wonder how they have come up with a way to use local numbers. It's always local cell numbers, never a local landline. I block the number if they call too often. But then a couple weeks later spoofers seem to call back with another local number.
Posted By: tjm

Re: Phone Scams? - 04/22/18 10:49 AM

I drive a 1985 truck and some outfit calls constantly to inform me that the warranty is about to expire?
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Phone Scams? - 04/22/18 11:03 AM

Originally Posted By: Macthediver
Moosetrot
They got to be hitting the area hard. I've been getting several calls a day some days. Seems worse on Mondays starts around 11am goes all afternoon peaks again around 6pm.
Wish there was a way to Nuke them. I called one number back the other day was going to light the guy up, He had no idea his number was being used for insurance calls..glad I din't get nasty with him.
Now I've even got a warrant out for my arrest if I don't call back. Would like to let them talk to my glock make their ears ring. I Did that years ago to a guy kept calling to talk dirty. Told him to listen close had something special for him. Capped off a blank round in the 38 right in the receiver. He never called again.

Mac

I've also have a warrant out for my arrest, and have the IRS after me as well. Glad to see I'm not the only one! grin
Posted By: ambush32

Re: Phone Scams? - 04/22/18 12:43 PM

Originally Posted By: ~ADC~

Now that’s fun you.......
Posted By: panhead501

Re: Phone Scams? - 04/22/18 01:53 PM

I used to get calls from a guy who could barely speak English, telling me there was a problem with my computer and it had a virus which he could fix if I would log in to my computer and do as he directed. He identified himself as a technician with Microsoft. He was calling my cell phone several times a day. I knew it was a scam and tried everything to get rid of him. I told him I did not have a computer. I got nasty with him to the point he hung up. I tried keeping him on the line by telling him to hold on and waiting several minutes before asking him to wait longer. Nothing seemed to work or get rid of him. Also his number showed up different every few days and sometimes it was just a 4 digit number. One evening he called and I saw it was a 4 digit number so I knew it was him. I started not to answer but then an idea popped into my head, so I answered and said: This is (my last name) police department, Inspector Jack of the internet fraud division speaking. Do you have an internet fraud to report? I said it in an official sounding voice. There was silence for a few seconds and so I repeated in a little louder voice. Then I hear Mr. broken English say, This police department? I said yes this it (my last name) police department, Inspector Jack speaking do you have an internet fraud to report or is this a follow up on a report? Again silence for a few seconds and in a very soft voice I hear... Sorry I have wrong number...click... As I hung up my wife cracked up laughing and wanted to know who I was talking to. Then she said I can't believe you just did that! Well since then I have not had another call from Mr Broken English...
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: Phone Scams? - 04/22/18 02:13 PM

We were getting the Microsoft calls with accompanying broken English fairly often.

One time I asked "Is this Hadji?"
He responded "Did you just call me Hadji!!!!????"
I replied "Yes, Hadji, I did."
Then I asked if he was wearing any lace or did strange things with animals.
He replied in broken English "You are a f******r" and ended the call.

panhead-I like what you did and plan on using it in the future.

Moosetrot
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Phone Scams? - 04/22/18 02:39 PM

Ya I don't understand how they can use local numbers as I'd, I get calls on cell and land line, even though I'm on do not call list
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Phone Scams? - 04/22/18 02:55 PM

This guy with a southern accent always calls and asks If Steven Is there. I fell for It the first time and said you must have the wrong number. Then he says maybe you can help me. I just hung up. The next time he called I said I'm sorry but Steven had died. The guy has called several times and I said Steven Is still dead. Haven't heard from him I a while. And I also get that credit card spiel from time to time.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Phone Scams? - 04/22/18 04:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Tactical.20
Ya I don't understand how they can use local numbers as I'd, I get calls on cell and land line, even though I'm on do not call list

They have a program to spoof the local numbers and that gets people to answer thinking it's local and keeps the FCC from catching up with them if they are even looking!

Have had people call me asking if I called them a while ago, I'm guessing they spoofed my number after they called it.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums