Home

Plant by Farmers Almanac (Added a ? for Hal)

Posted By: NebrCatMan

Plant by Farmers Almanac (Added a ? for Hal) - 04/22/18 07:56 PM

How many here plant garden strictly by what the farmers almanac says. I usually plant when I have time and weather allows. But I had a customer out yesterday who swears by the almanac. I want to plant peas and onions. maybe some radish, later today but the almanac says not a good day. Weather and the dirt seems right, tilled nicely. Hope to hear some interesting comments!!! Thanks
Posted By: Hal

Re: Plant by Farmers Almanac - 04/22/18 08:15 PM

A lot of it depends on when the swamp boogers come out of hibernation in your area. That's why I don't put too much stock in the Farmer's Almanac because it tries to cover the whole U.S. Swamp boogers are first out after ice off. If you see swamp booger tracks in the mud by your swamp, then it is not too early to plaint survival foods like radishes and turnips and onions. Keep the soil in your garden clear, and when you see the firs swamp booger track in the garden, it will be time to plant corn. Don't plant tomatoes and peppers until you find a set of swamp booger tracks all the way across your garden. Two weeks later, plant your winter squash. When you see the tracks coming back across your garden, plant your fall greens, rutabagas and turnips.

Re: Plant by Farmers Almanac - 04/22/18 09:15 PM

Don't have swamp boogers in my area as we lack swamps. But I think there are boogy mans around here. At least that is what my mom always told me when I was little and wanted to stay outside after dark back 50 or 55 years ago. I suppose the boogey mans have made more boogey mans or the original one is still alive even though he would be older now. They must not eat stuff from the garden as about the only damage I can remember in the garden was from rabbits, deer, wood chucks and the neighbors sheep!!! Oh yea, some ringtail masked bandits too. Guess I'll just plant no matter what those who publish the almanac say. Thanks Hal!!!
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: Plant by Farmers Almanac - 04/22/18 10:39 PM

Sound wisdom from the old booger from blue lick...haha..swamp boogers tracked us up 10 days ago so I planted...had nights of 20 degrees after seeds sprouted. Then I called possum lodge and asked red green...he said bury duct tape and good to go!!

Posted By: racerboy108

Re: Plant by Farmers Almanac - 04/22/18 10:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Hal
swamp boogers

Is this a Bigfoot thing? Lol
Posted By: NateM

Re: Plant by Farmers Almanac - 04/22/18 11:26 PM

Being a farmer from southern Minnesota I have no experience with swamp boogers but I plant strictly by soil conditions and seldom pay much attention to the long range forecast. I would not Plant a pea or bean till May in the north country tho

Re: Plant by Farmers Almanac - 04/23/18 03:11 AM

Hal, I just have a question you just might know the answer to! Do those swamp buggers er boogers know when the right time is to go find morel mushrooms? Or do they trick all sane people into thinking the mushrooms will never pop therefore they can have all those tasty little fungi to themselves??? I don't live by any swamps but I do have a small creek in my backyard. Maybe a mixed up or kinda slow swamp booger calls the creek home rather than a real swamp!!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums