Home

Moving to Marquette

Posted By: UPJake

Moving to Marquette - 04/24/18 04:37 AM

As the title states I知 moving to Marquette this week. Any tips on running a line in that part of the country?
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: Moving to Marquette - 04/24/18 05:26 AM

You're roughly 2 hrs. north of me,in big snow country.Decent Beaver country,probably good Fisher and Marten country,not too sure on numbers of coyote and fox.I've known some trappers up that way thru the years but they've were all water trappers.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Moving to Marquette - 04/24/18 08:39 AM

Marquette KS?
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Moving to Marquette - 04/24/18 11:24 AM

Originally Posted By: danny clifton
Marquette KS?
spent a lot of time there

Re: Moving to Marquette - 04/24/18 11:39 AM

He calls himself UP Jake so I'm assuming he means Michigan.
Posted By: John-Chagnon

Re: Moving to Marquette - 04/24/18 11:54 AM

Take the time to meet Asa Lenon. Exciting opportunities for a nice coyote, mink and beaver line. I enjoyed UP trapping the most on day float trips trapping both water and land animals. Generally you will be the only person there, at least that was the way it was 15 years ago. I hope to take the Grand kids trapping their when they get older.
Posted By: Tweed

Re: Moving to Marquette - 04/24/18 12:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Buck (Zandra)
You're roughly 2 hrs. north of me,in big snow country.Decent Beaver country,probably good Fisher and Marten country,not too sure on numbers of coyote and fox.I've known some trappers up that way thru the years but they've were all water trappers.

You guys have good marten and Fisher numbers there?

Re: Moving to Marquette - 04/24/18 01:02 PM

Marquette, Michigan. Sorry about the confusion.
Posted By: Mack

Re: Moving to Marquette - 04/24/18 01:11 PM

Originally Posted By: UPJake
As the title states I知 moving to Marquette this week. Any tips on running a line in that part of the country?

Just curious Jake, where are you moving from?
Posted By: bandy

Re: Moving to Marquette - 04/24/18 01:46 PM

My oldest daughter moved up there last year she loves it.

Re: Moving to Marquette - 04/24/18 05:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Tweed
Originally Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

You guys have good marten and Fisher numbers there?
Depends on where your at up here,some guys will say their overrun with them and other guys will tell you should have been here 10 yrs.ago.I live south of U.S.2 and every now and then you'll run across a fisher track,but their not thick.A biologist I talked to some years ago told me judging by the information on the form you fill out when you tag them that was the case across the whole U.P.,north of U.S.2 is definitely more to their liking.
Posted By: maurob

Re: Moving to Marquette - 04/25/18 12:01 AM

If you plan on running a k9 line, you may want to insure you have a decent catch pole. If you haven't caught a wolf yet the first one can be a trip. You will not have large numbers of any one critter except maybe rats on a good year but the guys in that area who know the ground and put in the time still put up decent numbers.
Good luck
Posted By: Muskrat Al

Re: Moving to Marquette - 04/25/18 12:59 AM

A lot of tree huggers there

Re: Moving to Marquette - 04/25/18 01:31 AM

I値l be moving from southeast Indiana.
Posted By: madminker

Re: Moving to Marquette - 04/25/18 03:49 AM

Your moving to the liberal county in the the u.p the west end of my line is in mqt co and we put up good #s every yr you just need to work hard and not be afraid of the weather.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Moving to Marquette - 04/25/18 09:28 AM

Nothing liberal about Marquette KS. Got a real nice motorcycle museum there. Plenty of work. Hunting and trapping is decent. Fishing at Kanopolis reservoir is pretty decent. 100 grand will buy you a very nice house.

heck its not even liberal in Liberal KS
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Moving to Marquette - 04/25/18 10:23 AM

join u p trappers when you get here good group of guys, when r you moving

Re: Moving to Marquette - 04/25/18 11:32 AM

I値l be up there for good on Thursday.
Posted By: strike2x

Re: Moving to Marquette - 04/25/18 11:45 AM

Snow shoes, lond track snowmobile,and lot of drags if you plan on land trapping in the winter and good luck finding traps after a big snow overnight. Fish line to a marker ribbon is a trick one guy up there I know uses.

Re: Moving to Marquette - 04/25/18 12:12 PM

Using "clogs",which are logs used as drags instead of grappels,and if you anchor your sets use fence staples.A big enough clog and your coyote isn't going very far and leaves a heck of a lot of sign.Use a big enough staple and put into hardwood and nothing is going to pull it out.

Re: Moving to Marquette - 04/25/18 02:01 PM

I値l be certain to join the UP trappers association. Thanks for the tips!
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: Moving to Marquette - 04/25/18 02:02 PM

Why the up? Pm
Posted By: John-Chagnon

Re: Moving to Marquette - 04/25/18 02:24 PM

Good move joining the UP Trappers Association, great bunch of trappers. I give all new members of district 5 which covers Marquette a free trapping dvd and 1 oz of Lenon Lure. Enjoy the area my friend as there are few places that compare. Hopefully you get moved up there in time for the National Trappers Convention in July 26 - 28, 2018 in Escanaba.

Re: Moving to Marquette - 04/25/18 02:33 PM

Definitely planning on attending! My work schedule allows me to be off on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday so I知 planning on making a weekend out of it.
Posted By: Clark

Re: Moving to Marquette - 04/26/18 01:39 AM

I love it when a group can define an area as rural as Marquette as liberal! I guess for the UP it might be liberal...which makes it ultra-conservative on either coast.

You are moving to some of the most beautiful part of the country and that includes all points east to west. Some fascinating history in the area (you should try to get into the Huron Mtn Club...or just join!), incredible tracts of public land with loads of outdoor opportunities. If you're moving there because you have a job then you have found the rarest thing of all in the UP, a job. Congrats and enjoy the beautiful UP.

Clark

Re: Moving to Marquette - 04/26/18 03:59 AM

Clark is right,for the U.P.its considered liberal but its nowhere near as bad as other large urban areas.Actually,its not all that big as cities go.The college has attracted it share of fruits and nuts but the area has a large sportsmen following too.

Re: Moving to Marquette - 04/26/18 09:37 AM

what r you going to be doing in Marquette

Re: Moving to Marquette - 04/27/18 02:41 AM

I知 a GM Master tech. I致e wanted to come up here for the last few years. Well two months ago I saw an add for a tech at a Chevy dealer in Marquette so I applied and got the job.

Re: Moving to Marquette - 04/27/18 09:45 AM

great
© 2024 Trapperman Forums