Home

Cattle Panels for Cucumbers

Posted By: snowy

Cattle Panels for Cucumbers - 05/05/18 11:40 PM

There was thread awhile back on this but I wouldn't find it. I'm kind of limited to space so the method of growing up is a great idea for us. My question is can I plant the cucumber plants about 16" apart a long the cattle panel or will that be to close? My wife has seeds started in the shed and are popping through now.

Thanks
Posted By: chas3457

Re: Hog Panels for Cucumbers - 05/05/18 11:53 PM

That's how I do it. Not all the plants survive, for various reasons, so I plant plenty. grin

Charlie
Posted By: nramemb

Re: Hog Panels for Cucumbers - 05/05/18 11:57 PM

I plant mine about 12" apart

Re: Hog Panels for Cucumbers - 05/05/18 11:58 PM

chas3457 >>> thanks for the help and that is what I will do.

nramemb >>>> That sounds good because I was going to plant some on both sides of the hog panel. I would think that would be fine also.
Posted By: NebrCatMan

Re: Hog Panels for Cucumbers - 05/06/18 12:43 AM

I make tomato cages (3 sizes)and use the taller ones for cucumbers. The taller ones are 20" in diameter and 52" tall after the legs go into the ground 6" or 7". They are made from cattle panels. I plant about 6 seeds in a hill and place the cage around the hill. If a vine wants to head away from the cage I just turn it back. This makes a nich bush .....easy to pick cukes. Takes way less space than on the ground.

Posted By: nt2

Re: Hog Panels for Cucumbers - 05/06/18 12:48 AM

I have done cucumbers on cattle panels for about the last 15 years. Only way to go. Plant them thick and thin after they come up. Plant them right next to the panel and string a soaker hose on it before the even come up. Easy to water, weed and harvest.
Posted By: The Possum Man

Re: Hog Panels for Cucumbers - 05/06/18 12:59 AM

i plant them about a foot apart and i have been using a run of regular wire fence. I drive in a few t posts and stretch my wire down my rows. Its alot cheaper than hog panels. It dont take super rigid fencing to hold them and they climb right up it. Works pretty well. i also plant both sides of the fence and offset where i plant them on each side.
Posted By: ShaneT

Re: Hog Panels for Cucumbers - 05/06/18 12:59 AM

I have always used cattle panels or 4 ft woven wire.

Re: Hog Panels for Cucumbers - 05/06/18 01:48 AM

Thanks for all the information. I got the panel up and have driven the T-Posts and should be ready to plant in a week or so.
Posted By: Cougarw

Re: Hog Panels for Cucumbers - 05/06/18 03:43 AM

I’m putting a 6’ chain link around the garden this yr to keep the deer out. Was going to plant the cucumbers right next to it hoping the will climb up. But how do you get all the old vines off in the fall.
Posted By: Drifter

Re: Hog Panels for Cucumbers - 05/06/18 03:57 AM

Pull, cuss and burn is how we do it.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Hog Panels for Cucumbers - 05/06/18 10:48 AM

About 12" apart here.

Re: Hog Panels for Cucumbers - 05/06/18 11:58 AM

Originally Posted By: Drifter
Pull, cuss and burn is how we do it.

LOL >>> was thinking it will be a battle.

330 >>> thanks then I should be ready to go.
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: Hog Panels for Cucumbers - 05/06/18 02:11 PM

My neighbor went to using concrete mesh...

Heavier duty than tomato cages yet easier to work with than cattle panels.

Cheaper than panels too.

Mike
Posted By: M.Magis

Re: Hog Panels for Cucumbers - 05/07/18 12:50 AM

Concrete mesh around here is shorter, non galvanized, lighter, and only slightly cheaper that cattle panels. I looked into it because I assumed it would save me money. Nope.
Posted By: bic

Re: Hog Panels for Cucumbers - 05/07/18 12:53 AM

Originally Posted By: Mike in A-town
My neighbor went to using concrete mesh...

Heavier duty than tomato cages yet easier to work with than cattle panels.

Cheaper than panels too.

Mike

That's what I use. Come spring, when I'm ready to till the garden, I roll up the mesh and set the old vines that are entangled, on fire to remove them. Then I re-install the mesh for planting again.
Posted By: Drakej

Re: Hog Panels for Cucumbers - 05/07/18 01:38 AM

I like the 4x8' - 6x6" concrete mesh folded into 4x4 sides A tent. You can also wire together two 4x8's the long way for longer A frame but it is tougher to get to nukes hanging thru frame unless you make sure they develop on the upper side of mesh.
Posted By: yoteskinner

Re: Hog Panels for Cucumbers - 05/07/18 01:49 AM

Cattle panels work good for cukes. Make tough, sturdy tomato cages. I'm planting snow peas on a cattle panel this year also.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums