Home

Fram Filters made in China now!

Posted By: Law Dog

Fram Filters made in China now! - 05/15/18 05:33 PM

Always thought Fram filters were made in the US the last batch I got the other day were made in China great!
Posted By: racerboy108

Re: Fram Filters made in China now! - 05/15/18 05:50 PM

Dang near everything comes from over there.

Trump is working on it though.

Re: Fram Filters made in China now! - 05/15/18 06:14 PM

Sent them a Email told them they are the last Fram filters I will buy!
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: Fram Filters made in China now! - 05/15/18 06:43 PM

Wow just changed oil, in the truck and wife's car and used x'guard filters from fram. Guess I'll go to wix that's what I have used on my classic car for ten years now.

Re: Fram Filters made in China now! - 05/15/18 06:46 PM

Very sad, because I have the old fram service board thsr grandpa had in his service station. It had the new seals for the old style oil filters
Posted By: white17

Re: Fram Filters made in China now! - 05/15/18 06:52 PM

I guess I don't see why it's a big deal where a simple oil filter is made. Consider how much it would cost if it was made in the US. I suspect a lot of folks would be looking for something cheaper if that was the case.
Posted By: Tweed

Re: Fram Filters made in China now! - 05/15/18 06:55 PM

All this being typed on machines that were made in China...lol oh the irony.
Posted By: charles

Re: Fram Filters made in China now! - 05/15/18 06:56 PM

Fram makes an inferior filter according to several utube mechanics who cut them apart and compared them to others.
Posted By: Hal

Re: Fram Filters made in China now! - 05/15/18 07:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Tweed

We lika play Ping Pong wif you, bery bery much.
Posted By: Canvasback2

Re: Fram Filters made in China now! - 05/15/18 07:56 PM

Check out Baldwin filters. Supposed to be made in the USA

Re: Fram Filters made in China now! - 05/15/18 08:01 PM

How is that E machine working for you? LOL

Re: Fram Filters made in China now! - 05/15/18 08:13 PM

Originally Posted By: white17
I guess I don't see why it's a big deal where a simple oil filter is made. Consider how much it would cost if it was made in the US. I suspect a lot of folks would be looking for something cheaper if that was the case.

They are the same price they were before so who's making out on this change the US worker the consumer or the Fram Corp? LOL Wix are $10 and yes I will pay that for a US made filter Fram missed the mark to make a little more money.

Re: Fram Filters made in China now! - 05/15/18 08:17 PM

Just always hard to take, will there be anything that stays made truly in the great u.s.of a. Just saying. Heck who knows wix are foreign made to.

Re: Fram Filters made in China now! - 05/15/18 08:19 PM

Wix filters are made in many countries South Korea and Mexico to name a few I will keep looking!
Posted By: cotton

Re: Fram Filters made in China now! - 05/15/18 08:47 PM

dang fram is all i have used since i started driving.
time to change i reckon
Posted By: lumberjack391

Re: Fram Filters made in China now! - 05/15/18 08:50 PM

"I guess I don't see why it's a big deal where a simple oil filter is made. Consider how much it would cost if it was made in the US. I suspect a lot of folks would be looking for something cheaper if that was the case."

The price usually stays the same or goes up. Some people still demand quality. Look at rubber footwear now mostly outsourced, the quality is terrible and they are up to a couple hundred dollars for brand names.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Fram Filters made in China now! - 05/15/18 08:56 PM

I guess if you worked for fram and no longer have a job you would feel differently.

Re: Fram Filters made in China now! - 05/15/18 09:00 PM

You're right...government should intervene and force private companies to stay in the US despite what might be best for their business.

Re: Fram Filters made in China now! - 05/15/18 09:12 PM

I really doubt that losing a job packing some sort of fiber in a can matters much to the US GDP. Seems to me we should encourage low value manufacturing be done where labor is cheap to begin with. Much better to have China and Chinese make a small amount of money so they are in a position to buy high value items made by Americans in the US.

Fram is New Zeland owned and has been since 2011. Fram also owns Autolite. Anyone use those plugs ????

It's economically better for everyone involved to make products where capital can be allocated most efficiently.

Would you rather fight China economically or militarily ?
Posted By: FlyinFinn

Re: Fram Filters made in China now! - 05/15/18 09:40 PM

Maybe Cheeto will put on a oil filter tariff. That'll help.

Re: Fram Filters made in China now! - 05/15/18 09:45 PM

Replace pencil with oil filter and watch the video.

Re: Fram Filters made in China now! - 05/15/18 10:10 PM

Mr. no compromise can't keep his BS straight again! LOL

Re: Fram Filters made in China now! - 05/15/18 10:13 PM

You're right...government should intervene and force private companies to stay in the US despite what might be best for their business.

Never said that but that never stopped you before! laugh

Re: Fram Filters made in China now! - 05/15/18 10:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Law Dog

Never said that but that never stopped you before! laugh

Jeeze Jerry....never said you did. Quit projecting. laugh
Posted By: Chuckles84

Re: Fram Filters made in China now! - 05/15/18 10:27 PM

Check out CHAMP filters. We use them where I work. They are based in Albion Illinois. All of their spin on style filters are USA made, well put of the 10-15 that we stock are. Their cartridge style filters are hit or miss some are from china and some are from the USA.

Re: Fram Filters made in China now! - 05/15/18 10:27 PM

Originally Posted By: FlyinFinn
Replace pencil with oil filter and watch the video.

"With help from the British government"
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Fram Filters made in China now! - 05/15/18 10:45 PM

If McD employees get $15 bux an hour, our burgers will be coming from China.
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Fram Filters made in China now! - 05/15/18 10:53 PM

I really doubt that losing a job packing some sort of fiber in a can matters much to the US GDP. Seems to me we should encourage low value manufacturing be done where labor is cheap to begin with. Much better to have China and Chinese make a small amount of money so they are in a position to buy high value items made by Americans in the US.

Fram is New Zeland owned and has been since 2011. Fram also owns Autolite. Anyone use those plugs ????

It's economically better for everyone involved to make products where capital can be allocated most efficiently.

Would you rather fight China economically or militarily ?

That sounds good I guess, but the Chinese don't make a good hourly wage. It's hard to trade with people when it takes them a year to save up for a bicycle, hence the trade deficit. We already lost TV's, computers, a lot of appliances and the like, so why not want to keep anything we can here.
Posted By: nyhuntfish

Re: Fram Filters made in China now! - 05/15/18 10:54 PM

I lived in Greenville Ohio as a kid and I'm pretty sure Fram Filters were made there.

Re: Fram Filters made in China now! - 05/15/18 10:58 PM

No surprise. Milty tells it like it is and the mouth breathers no comprende.

Re: Fram Filters made in China now! - 05/15/18 11:02 PM

Flynn it was straight forward. The market can unite people across the globe that normally dont like eachoether because they all receive some sort of benefit.
Posted By: Finster

Re: Fram Filters made in China now! - 05/15/18 11:17 PM

Fram filters have always sucked from day one. Back in the days when I worked at my dad's garage, he wouldn't let one through the door. They have always been total garbage. Cut one open, then cut open a Wix ...... compare.

Re: Fram Filters made in China now! - 05/15/18 11:37 PM

Feel like a yard light in a area full of idiot moths! LOL They flip/flop more then a fresh caught carp!!

Never was looking for cheap I was looking for quality at a fair price a tough concept for the drama queens it appears. Carry on.

Re: Fram Filters made in China now! - 05/15/18 11:51 PM

Feel like a yard light in a area full of idiot moths! LOL They flip/flop more then a fresh caught carp!!

Never was looking for cheap I was looking for quality at a fair price a tough concept for the drama queens it appears. Carry on.

Yep Jerry. Quality at a fair price is always the goal. You may not remember the aftermath of WW 2 when anything stamped made in JAPAN was considered junk. Look at the auto market today. You couldn't give me an American made car unless it's a Toyota made in the US. Better yet one made in Japan.
Work ethic and technology are both light years ahead of the US.

Quality at a fair price
Posted By: SwampRat83

Re: Fram Filters made in China now! - 05/16/18 12:24 AM

Haha yes, this is spot on!!! Always used Fram and will continue to use them.
Posted By: SwampRat83

Re: Fram Filters made in China now! - 05/16/18 12:25 AM

Or how many people use traps made outside the USA? The irony is heavy in here.
Posted By: ringtailtrapper

Re: Fram Filters made in China now! - 05/16/18 01:28 AM

Law Dog, check out this site.

www.champlabs.com

RTT
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Fram Filters made in China now! - 05/16/18 01:51 AM

But by golly they better keep buying our muskrat pelts.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Fram Filters made in China now! - 05/16/18 02:15 AM

To be honest, Now that the chinese make them, they may get better. Fram filters for me have always been just above a rolled up bit of crap paper for me. I try not to use them for things that matter

Re: Fram Filters made in China now! - 05/16/18 02:26 AM

Originally Posted By: SwampRat83
Or how many people use traps made outside the USA? The irony is heavy in here.

You might be a duker but not me I don't own one!
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Fram Filters made in China now! - 05/16/18 02:36 AM

On a side note, As long as folks buy as cheap as they can, the chinese are smiling.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Fram Filters made in China now! - 05/16/18 03:01 AM

They are a cheap poor filter, years ago a guy told me to cut a Delco, and fram in two and look to see what paper filter looks like in each one, the fram had about half the filter paper, I only buy wix filters, on sale every spring, my 35$ air filter was 16-17$ on sale
Posted By: KC Blues

Re: Fram Filters made in China now! - 05/16/18 03:21 AM

Originally Posted By: nyhuntfish
I lived in Greenville Ohio as a kid and I'm pretty sure Fram Filters were made there.
That is correct. Fram filters were made in Greenville, Ohio. Building is mainly a warehouse now.

Re: Fram Filters made in China now! - 05/16/18 03:24 AM

Some people shop for bargains and pray to the blue light and some folks shop for quality just depends how you look at the investment I guess!

Re: Fram Filters made in China now! - 05/16/18 04:02 AM

Half price is pretty good
Posted By: micheal

Re: Fram Filters made in China now! - 05/16/18 10:26 AM

Buy low and complain
Buy high and complain
Don't buy and still complain
Posted By: LBEE

Re: Fram Filters made in China now! - 05/16/18 10:49 AM

My Moto : ANYTHING GOOD AINT CHEAP

ANYTHING CHEAP AINT GOOD

works for me !!!!

Re: Fram Filters made in China now! - 05/16/18 12:58 PM

Originally Posted By: micheal
Buy low and complain
Buy high and complain

Truth.

Re: Fram Filters made in China now! - 05/16/18 01:15 PM

Originally Posted By: FlyinFinn
Originally Posted By: micheal
Buy low and complain
Buy high and complain

Truth.

Now that's a experts opinion there!

Re: Fram Filters made in China now! - 05/16/18 01:51 PM

Better go look where that pine tree air freshener hanging on the rear view is made. Nowhere else can replicate that fresh pine smell like Murica.

Re: Fram Filters made in China now! - 05/16/18 09:47 PM

Was out in the shed working today so I checked out the Fram filters I have accumulated over the years and everyone was made in the USA so the China thing must be a recent change!
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Fram Filters made in China now! - 05/16/18 09:52 PM

Haven't you heard though Law Dog, Fram filters suck, and we mustn't care that another American Co has moved to China. Carry on.
Posted By: Chamacat

Re: Fram Filters made in China now! - 05/16/18 09:53 PM

Yep..I have driven Toyota's some over 300,000 miles and had to change out a fuel pump once. Never had a bearing problem, oil pump problem.. rings or cranks..people said Fram was the way to go..I did look at a wix filter yesterday at $8.00 or so..maybe I will..maybe I won't..LOL.

Re: Fram Filters made in China now! - 05/16/18 10:23 PM

I change my oil often after working in the automotive field for many years and seeing the nightmares that came through the doors! I get the bug and start draining and changing out oil and filters guess they don't need to be great as often as I change them. I bought some Mobil 1 synthetic the other day will give that a try and see what it's all about at the next change.
Posted By: Finster

Re: Fram Filters made in China now! - 05/16/18 10:36 PM

Re: Fram Filters made in China now! - 05/16/18 11:39 PM

Yep..That works for me..Wix filters rock..LOL

Re: Fram Filters made in China now! - 05/16/18 11:52 PM

I change my oil often after working in the automotive field for many years and seeing the nightmares that came through the doors! I get the bug and start draining and changing out oil and filters guess they don't need to be great as often as I change them. I bought some Mobil 1 synthetic the other day will give that a try and see what it's all about at the next change.
Mobil 1, and fram have given my cars and truck many many miles
I change every 12000-15000. People think that crazy I say miles speak for them selves. Wife's car had 280000 miles on it and still ran good when we sold it. I think you will be happy using it to jerry.

Re: Fram Filters made in China now! - 05/16/18 11:59 PM

Yep...Hold the phone..Just googled it up "Wix" oil filters are made on 4 continents..my..my..what to do..LOL
Posted By: bulldozerjoe

Re: Fram Filters made in China now! - 05/17/18 12:54 AM

We have bulldozer, excavator, tractors, dump trucks, lawnmower, cars, trucks, unleaded and diseal motors.. it’s either wix, or Baldwin filters for oil air and hydraulic filters for us.
Posted By: bulldozerjoe

Re: Fram Filters made in China now! - 05/17/18 12:57 AM

I do like wix cross reference page on there site

Re: Fram Filters made in China now! - 05/20/18 10:38 PM

Was getting some chicken feed today so I checked out the auto parts section it seems the Purolator filters are still US made, some like Mobil 1 never did say where they were made.

Re: Fram Filters made in China now! - 05/21/18 04:02 AM

Purolator has been making filters a long time, over 50 years, I think they have good reputation, cut one open when done, see how it compares to others

Re: Fram Filters made in China now! - 05/21/18 04:06 AM

Videos on YouTube show them being made and taken apart they will be my next filters!
Posted By: beltrami trapper

Re: Fram Filters made in China now! - 05/21/18 04:50 PM

I wouldnt worry as much where the filter was made. Your American dodge with its Japanese Mitsubishi motor will run same if you put a US, China or Hong Kongorea made filter on it grin
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Fram Filters made in China now! - 05/21/18 05:43 PM

I use Wix filters. I've heard they're one of the better ones out there.
Posted By: hippie

Re: Fram Filters made in China now! - 05/21/18 05:50 PM

I've installed thousands of Purolater filters in the 30 years i've had my own shop, without one bad one. I used their group 7 filters, which is now their Tech line.

With some items, ya can't avoid buying from across the pond, but some you can and have a better product too.
Posted By: ratbrain

Re: Fram Filters made in China now! - 05/21/18 08:46 PM

I wonder how the Motorcraft oil filter rates? I have been using them for years on my Fords.

Re: Fram Filters made in China now! - 05/21/18 10:08 PM

Originally Posted By: beltrami trapper
I wouldnt worry as much where the filter was made. Your American dodge with its Japanese Mitsubishi motor will run same if you put a US, China or Hong Kongorea made filter on it grin

I bought a bunch of US made Frams for from Rock auto cheap so now it runs even better!

Re: Fram Filters made in China now! - 05/22/18 03:54 AM

Lol, that's good them Toyotas need all the help they can get! Lol, just kidding!!
Posted By: Furvor

Re: Fram Filters made in China now! - 05/23/18 03:03 AM

I am Ok with plastic impregnated paper in a filter. I have used Fram filters such as their 'tough guard' for years. I may change simply because I prefer to "buy American." I recently had a problem with a Bosch filter. It appears the rubber gasket was so hard that the filter vibrated loose (months and many miles after installation) as a result of driving on wash-boarded forest service roads.
Posted By: Goshachgunk

Re: Fram Filters made in China now! - 05/23/18 10:02 AM

As others have said go to YouTube and type in oil filter comparison you will find out that not all oil filters are top of the line and better yet if you have the time look at motor oil comparisons too you might be surprised at what you learn.
Posted By: OhioBoy

Re: Fram Filters made in China now! - 05/23/18 02:27 PM

Fram makes oil filters in my hometown so it probably depends on the model filter, its build process, and where it is made individually for each type filter.

Re: Fram Filters made in China now! - 05/23/18 02:40 PM

Originally Posted By: beltrami trapper

Just looked at the master rebuild kit parts kit (Just under $500) all parts made in the USA most major parts from the Melling Co parts and a Victor gasket set! Though about the rest of the parts I put on it like brakes, shocks, and so on mostly US stuff I'd guess about 95% American products on the restores. Not that the stuff from Japan was not quality stuff just rather use the US parts when I can.

That G54B motor was used in millions of vehicles trucks, cars and mini-vans!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums