Home

Cage trappin possums

Posted By: Mclaugh19

Cage trappin possums - 05/16/18 05:36 AM

I cannot seem to get this darn possum to get into this single door trap. Any thoughts? Have been using Kellen's black label as bait.
Posted By: TrapperCarl78

Re: Cage trappin possums - 05/16/18 06:13 AM

I'm not familiar with that bait. I can't keep possums out of my cages when I use really fishy baits. Jack Mackerel in a can off the grocery store shelf will hammer em. Works down here anyways. IME
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Cage trappin possums - 05/16/18 09:25 AM

Fish works for me here, too. So does just about everything else I use. Even caught them in cages on leftover pizza.
Jim

Re: Cage trappin possums - 05/16/18 12:35 PM

I always have possums during the season in my DP's when I use fishy bait too - but this one destroyin my pool house is being a pain I guess lol. Kellen's Black Label is shellfish flavor.

I'll try a can of sardines. Maybe he just doesn't like clams.
Posted By: trapre

Re: Cage trappin possums - 05/16/18 12:42 PM

Sardines work well for me. You could also try tuna. I use a dirt hole set with a rock as backing drip some fish oil on the rock and tuna or sardines in the hole and Tadaaa! Opossum lunch.
Posted By: John-Chagnon

Re: Cage trappin possums - 05/16/18 12:56 PM

Place a steel foothold trap in the back of the live cage trap and the possums will quickly enter.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Cage trappin possums - 05/16/18 01:19 PM

Do what I do, set a 5x5 cage trap targeting squirrels on a paying squirrel job. The possum will find a way to stuff itself in there.
Posted By: wetdog

Re: Cage trappin possums - 05/16/18 01:24 PM

Table scraps is all that is needed.
Just think about how many times they get in the trash and make a mess.
Posted By: seiowatrapper

Re: Cage trappin possums - 05/16/18 01:46 PM

Originally Posted By: jabNE
Fish works for me here, too. So does just about everything else I use. Even caught them in cages on leftover pizza.
Jim

Exactly! ^^ smile I would like to know what DOESN"T pull possums into a cage trap. smile I can tell you that they cannot resist little cans of catfood, fish or tuna flavor seem to be better.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Cage trappin possums - 05/16/18 02:56 PM

1 trap with canned cat food and another trap with SWEETs....like strawberry or grape jelly or a mix,

Could get coons or even fox, but I have never caught customers cats with sweet baits....Blackies Fur King is awesome, too.
Posted By: doublesettrigger

Re: Cage trappin possums - 05/17/18 11:06 PM

cat food
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Cage trappin possums - 05/17/18 11:54 PM

I had an opossum wedge itself between an unbaited, closed, box trap and the wall and die in one of my barns a couple of weeks ago. Any sort of relatively smelly, food item placed in a box trap, close to where the opossum will walk, should catch it. Cat food, dog food, fish, fruit or any sort of meat should work as bait for the opossum.

Keith
Posted By: RF Wildlife

Re: Cage trappin possums - 05/18/18 01:07 AM

Set the trap for some other animal and you will catch a possum. Trail bait into the trap if they are being difficult. the small marshmallows work great as a trail something stinky behind the pan.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Cage trappin possums - 05/18/18 02:24 AM

Originally Posted By: RF Wildlife
Trail bait into the trap

That's SOP in my book. The mother lode is hanging in the cup, a gob is on the treadle and I drag the stick with some bait on it along the trap floor leaving lil bits every couple inches and continue the trail for a few feet in a Y once outside the trap.

Re: Cage trappin possums - 05/18/18 02:59 PM

Took me nigh on a week, but clementine oranges worked. Guess this one just didn't like fish lol
© 2024 Trapperman Forums