Home

Missouri Breaks

Posted By: Trapper7

Missouri Breaks - 05/16/18 04:03 PM

Every so often I hear about hunting in the Missouri Breaks. Not even sure where they are located. South Dakota, maybe? What kind of hunting is available there?
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: Missouri Breaks - 05/16/18 04:19 PM

Montana I believe.

Mike
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Missouri Breaks - 05/16/18 04:22 PM

That's what I thought.

Og named one of his lures Missouri Breaks and Ogs from Montana.
Posted By: hippie

Re: Missouri Breaks - 05/16/18 04:25 PM

Yep, like Mike and Beav said, i think of Montana.

https://www.recreation.gov/recreationalAreaDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&recAreaId=3117

The Milk river is one i'd love to hunt that's also in Montana.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Missouri Breaks - 05/16/18 04:51 PM

N. Central MT along the Missouri River and Chas Russell Nat'l Refuge

Haven't you seen the '76 or '74 movie Missouri Breaks with Chas Bronson and Randy Quaid (when a kid) and Jack Nicholson ???????????
Posted By: Allan Minear

Re: Missouri Breaks - 05/16/18 05:22 PM

The Missouri Breaks are north of me it's some rather wild country with a wide variety of wildlife running around in that area from elk deer and antelope to bighorn sheep.
There's turkeys and upland birds also and many predators including mtn lions.
There's some interesting sink holes and places where the ground shifts and slides for no apparent reason.
Stay Safe out there !
Allan
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Missouri Breaks - 05/16/18 06:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Allan Minear
The Missouri Breaks are north of me it's some rather wild country with a wide variety of wildlife running around in that area from elk deer and antelope to bighorn sheep.
There's turkeys and upland birds also and many predators including mtn lions.
There's some interesting sink holes and places where the ground shifts and slides for no apparent reason.
Stay Safe out there !
Allan

Is it ever open to hunting?

I haven't seen the movie Missouri Breaks, but if Bronson's in it, it has to be good.
Posted By: ky_coyote_hunter

Re: Missouri Breaks - 05/16/18 06:43 PM

I saw the post title and thought of the movie....Marlon Brando played a heckuva role in that one...Jack Nicholson too.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Missouri Breaks - 05/16/18 07:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Trapper7

Is it ever open to hunting?

If you will just Bing or Google it, many links come up telling of the hunting opportunities there....Wiki says hunting, fishing and grazing are still allowed, in most parts.
Some is BLM land which is usually open to the public. We had access to BLM land in Idaho when I lived there, just had to close gates, etc.
That .... Carly Simon tried to block access to Idaho Public Land (back in early 80's) but we took her to court and she had to put gates in her fences.
Guided elk and mule deer hunts pop up too...so it looks promising...like I've told dozens of guys......Google is your friend!
Posted By: charles

Re: Missouri Breaks - 05/16/18 07:38 PM

Drove through the area once. Looked to me like a man would need do a lot of walking and dragging. Beautiful country.
Posted By: dgarrett

Re: Missouri Breaks - 05/16/18 08:30 PM

The Missouri River (Breaks) is what everyone around here refers to some of the choice Elk draw units in Montana... Also the premier Bighorn sheep areas...It is fairly easy to draw the Bow Tag for these units .... usually every other year... but seems to take 8 bonus points or so to draw rifle tag... and with sheep 99999 bonus points or lucky enough you should be playing the powerball lotto...Areas still produce some big Bulls but quality has went down in years past as they give more and more permits...Dave
Posted By: Osky

Re: Missouri Breaks - 05/16/18 08:42 PM

Beautiful country. I have shot a lot of dogs in there. Lots of walking. Go out to Glasgow or Wolf point, stay on the south side of the reservoir and point your nose west it's a haul but you'll know when you get there.
30 plus years ago you would see bull elk and mule deer bucks that now live in most people's imagination.

Osky
© 2024 Trapperman Forums