Home

Save the rabbits?

Posted By: Pressure9pa

Save the rabbits? - 05/17/18 02:25 AM

So my new pup brought the family a gift - five tiny rabbits that are probably not a week old (and maybe only hours) were laid on the front porch. One of them already expired, so that one was disposed of, but I'm wondering if there's anything I should do for the other four. I found what appeared to be the remains of a nest against my house. I put it back together the best I could without leaving too much scent, and put the other four back in. I surrounded it with cinder blocks and some logs, really just so I could mark the location and not restrict the mother if she returns. I can keep the dog away from the spot going forward without too much consternation. Anything else I should do?

(I think my 5 and 9 year old daughters want to hold a candlelight vigil tonight, it was a ridiculously emotional night this evening.)
Posted By: The Possum Man

Re: Save the rabbits? - 05/17/18 02:29 AM

candlelight vigils is what created all these retarded "millenials" you would be better served teaching them how to skin the other 4 and make soup. and i say this as a father of 4 kids under the age of 12. One has already killed his first turkey and they are all present whenever i need to skin anything. The oldest have already dispatched a few chickens that needed a crock pot.
Posted By: racerboy108

Re: Save the rabbits? - 05/17/18 02:44 AM

Sounds like you did what you could.

Check on them and see if momma is taking care of them

Otherwise find a small oral syringe and feed them
Posted By: tjm

Re: Save the rabbits? - 05/17/18 03:24 AM

If she comes back she will probably kill them because they smell strange. Life happens and death is a phase of life. There is an outside chance she will move them, but I'd not stay up to watch because she probably won't. Over the years of getting 6 kids to be middle aged, I have seen this a few times and only once did the doe apparently move the little ones, killed three and two were gone that time.
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Save the rabbits? - 05/17/18 03:39 AM

Oh heavens yes, we cannot go further and let nature have it's way. We must intervene and hold a nationwide candlelight vigil. We must create a safeplace for all evolved. Good grief!!
Posted By: Tweed

Re: Save the rabbits? - 05/17/18 08:14 AM

You did what you could. No matter the outcome it would be a great teaching moment for your kids including your efforts.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums