Posted By: ShaneT

Re: BEAVER NAFA - 05/18/18 07:25 PM

Section III is moving...
Posted By: trapper les

Re: BEAVER NAFA - 05/18/18 08:02 PM

Dismal market.
Posted By: Boco

Re: BEAVER NAFA - 05/18/18 08:06 PM

As is always the case,the big prime eastern stuff with no dmg is selling at a premium.Which today is 30-40 usd range.
A trapper today has to be a semi competent grader to know what to market at the auctions.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: BEAVER NAFA - 05/18/18 08:52 PM

Do you mean that you have to grade them before you kill them.
Posted By: Rat Masterson

Re: BEAVER NAFA - 05/18/18 09:06 PM

Not only grade before catching you have to trap in Canada.
Posted By: MB Coonguy

Re: BEAVER NAFA - 05/18/18 11:03 PM

Minnesota,Michigan,Wisconsin,Maine,New York etc.. all have beautiful beavers-you don't need to be in Canada.One thing good in todays beaver market is the dgd stuff is selling well.Spring beaver trappers would do alright on bigger sizes I would think with castor and meat involved.

Re: BEAVER NAFA - 05/18/18 11:06 PM

No beav,I'm saying you will do better marketing the lesser beavers elsewhere,or in alternative markets(if you have them).You can also improve your odds by trapping when pelts are prime and paying attention to how you put them up.
Posted By: trapperne

Re: BEAVER NAFA - 05/18/18 11:15 PM

There are lots of beautiful beaver everywhere, even the western states including Nebraska but nobody traps under the ice for select pelts anymore. If they trap beaver at all it’s run and fun for spring beaver and hatter prices.
Posted By: Jtrapper

Re: BEAVER NAFA - 05/18/18 11:29 PM

Be funny if master boco could trap some of these chewed up rubbed out mud rugs for a season, lol.

You either HAVE a fur market or you DON'T! Right no there isn't a fur market, just some hide buyers
at a flea market buying stuff for bargain prices and why not, everyone will keep producing more.

Re: BEAVER NAFA - 05/18/18 11:31 PM

J trap,I bet you make good money on those beaver in the nuisance market,dont you.
Our nuisance market is only a couple months,yours is year round eh?

Re: BEAVER NAFA - 05/18/18 11:33 PM

I will NEVER trap another beaver for the price of It's hide. $100.00 per animal Is my bottom line price.+ a $100.00 set up fee.

Boco this alternative market you speak of doesn't exist around here. I'm not getting stuck with a bunch of tanned beaver hides with no market.

Re: BEAVER NAFA - 05/18/18 11:35 PM

I thought your alternative market to the auctions was buyers that took them in the round,or is that all BS.
I have been selling out of tanned beaver for the past number of years.That market is good here.Lots of skin sewers up north.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: BEAVER NAFA - 05/18/18 11:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Jtrapper
Be funny if master boco could trap some of these chewed up rubbed out mud rugs for a season, lol.

You either HAVE a fur market or you DON'T! Right no there isn't a fur market, just some hide buyers
at a flea market buying stuff for bargain prices and why not, everyone will keep producing more.

You know what Cyndi says: "Girls just wanna have fun!"

Re: BEAVER NAFA - 05/18/18 11:45 PM

Beaver is the number one skin in demand by far for sewing winter apparel up north.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: BEAVER NAFA - 05/19/18 12:17 AM

I don’t chase fur anymore....They pay me to trap....and I have a big smile on my face ,having fun !

Re: BEAVER NAFA - 05/19/18 12:57 AM

Sure boco, ALOT of folks down here getting paid to trap beaver, still have some land owners tell you that 'you can keep the hides' for payment though, lol.

Since your running out of them maybe you need to start buying beaver hides.

Re: BEAVER NAFA - 05/19/18 01:03 AM

I would J trap but it is illegal to hold two separate commercial fur licences here.(trapping and fur buyer).
Posted By: blackhammer

Re: BEAVER NAFA - 05/19/18 01:05 AM

Originally Posted By: MB Coonguy
Minnesota,Michigan,Wisconsin,Maine,New York etc.. all have beautiful beavers-you don't need to be in Canada.One thing good in todays beaver market is the dgd stuff is selling well.Spring beaver trappers would do alright on bigger sizes I would think with castor and meat involved.
Fur wise probably two thirds
Of Minnesota has an ugly commercial beaver. Other than the best of the best it’s all hatters pretty much everywhere
Posted By: mud

Re: BEAVER NAFA - 05/19/18 01:16 AM

Originally Posted By: blackhammer
Originally Posted By: MB Coonguy
Fur wise probably two thirds
Of Minnesota has an ugly commercial beaver. Other than the best of the best it’s all hatters pretty much everywhere

Really?! I never would have thought that..even here, if you can avoid damage they will grade near the very top of their respective catalog.
Posted By: blackhammer

Re: BEAVER NAFA - 05/19/18 01:49 AM

Not so much in this market. I’ve always said in the northern part of the state it’s a totally different animal fur wise compared to the lower half of the state

Re: BEAVER NAFA - 05/19/18 02:26 AM

Id forgot you live in the communist north boco.

Re: BEAVER NAFA - 05/19/18 03:07 AM

And The SC beavers came from WI.
Posted By: yukon254

Re: BEAVER NAFA - 05/19/18 04:02 AM

I thought the market would be better this year with the cold temps. One thing is certain NAFA needs to re-evaluate their marketing strategy because it isn't working out to well.

I havent sent in mink in years so I sent one in just as a test.....it went for $19.50 USD wish I had sent them all !

Re: BEAVER NAFA - 05/19/18 04:21 AM

Wild mink has been creeping up for a few sales now at NAFA.I sent some to the last sale and avg just under $20.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums