Home

What does everyone apply for hunting wise?

Posted By: nvwrangler

What does everyone apply for hunting wise? - 05/22/18 03:51 AM

With the dream hunt thread and the talk about sheep hunting on anouther thread got me to wondering what everyone apply for when it comes to big game? I apply for deer, elk, antelope, bear, 3 spieces of big horn sheep and my goat every year in Nevada. Goal is to hunt moose in Alaska but will start applying for Idaho moose next year.
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: What does everyone apply for hunting wise? - 05/22/18 04:29 AM

I put in for elk , deer , antelope , sheep and will pick up an over the counter fall bear and a cougar tag just for happenstance .

I also have 9 or 10 points for Utah elk and 7 points for Utah deer...........not sure where I'd go in Utah , just been applying for points for a some day hunt
Posted By: GomerPyle746

Re: What does everyone apply for hunting wise? - 05/22/18 04:30 AM

Antlerless deer, antlerless elk, and pronghorn. Buy OTC buck deer and bull elk if I don't draw. Bear, cougar are OTC.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: What does everyone apply for hunting wise? - 05/22/18 04:45 AM

Hog, Diller and Possum grin
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: What does everyone apply for hunting wise? - 05/22/18 09:37 AM

I hunt for food. if you have to apply and spend a lot of money its cheaper and easier to buy a steer. or buffalo, or elk.

I hope trapping doesn't turn into a sport that's all about competing with your neighbor for the biggest coyote or beaver.
Posted By: GritGuy

Re: What does everyone apply for hunting wise? - 05/22/18 11:26 AM

Danny trapping turned into a competition years ago with just catching animals, where you been hiding LOL, you can read that every day here and almost every hour during the season !

I put in for rotating OIL animals seeing as we can only do one a year, then for general tags LE Mule deer, mostly to gain points I can heir over to my son, as I'm to old to tag out any more here, with the population growing like it is.

Not enough funds coming in to put into out of state tags any more so it's just this state !
Posted By: wamp

Re: What does everyone apply for hunting wise? - 05/22/18 11:30 AM

groundhogs
Posted By: UpNorthMI

Re: What does everyone apply for hunting wise? - 05/22/18 11:56 AM

Elk, Bear, and Anterless Deer.
Posted By: adam m

Re: What does everyone apply for hunting wise? - 05/22/18 12:16 PM

Mainly deer and elk once in a blue moon antelope.
My otc is turkey, trapping, mt lion and bear, small game and fishing,
Posted By: Raizmup

Re: What does everyone apply for hunting wise? - 05/22/18 12:29 PM

I love hunting out west. I really hate the lottery systems though. I've done nothing but OTC tags. I just can't justify spending money only hoping to get a tag. Some states refund you, others make you buy a hunting license just to apply. I know of guys who spend thousands just applying for tags.
Posted By: trapper les

Re: What does everyone apply for hunting wise? - 05/22/18 12:34 PM

Originally Posted By: danny clifton
I hunt for food. if you have to apply and spend a lot of money its cheaper and easier to buy a steer. or buffalo, or elk.

I hope trapping doesn't turn into a sport that's all about competing with your neighbor for the biggest coyote or beaver.
I am a meat hunter myself. I want to shoot that deer as cheap as possible. It don't have to have horns, and I don't have to put myself through the paces of eating a tough old buck that was shot during rut, if I don't want to. Them are canners anyway .
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: What does everyone apply for hunting wise? - 05/22/18 12:50 PM

^^^ Yup that
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: What does everyone apply for hunting wise? - 05/22/18 01:02 PM

Elk tag once in a lifetime inside the State Park archery is my dream tag, next would be rifle inside the Park then the same outside of the park. I gave up on sheep and goat years ago when they started jacking up the price of everything it lost it's appeal.
Posted By: hippie

Re: What does everyone apply for hunting wise? - 05/22/18 03:36 PM

Originally Posted By: danny clifton

100% spot on.

I had to go west and shoot some critters, but when they went haywire and put the price of tags up to what we'd spend on the entire hunt "back when", i stopped going.

Amazes me what folks pay to shoot a danged 'ol whitetail!

Picture from about 30 years ago. A buddy and i spent about 1000 bucks and that included the beer!
Posted By: Dirt

Re: What does everyone apply for hunting wise? - 05/22/18 03:44 PM

I hate draws. I was guiding a guide out of New Mexico a few years back. He grossed $60,000 a year just managing draws for prospective clients. What a scam? crazy

Re: What does everyone apply for hunting wise? - 05/22/18 03:52 PM

Me too Dirt.

Back then, we went to Colorado and tags were over the counter. If i remember right, Elk were 240 and Mule Deer were 100, maybe 120. You won't smell a tag for that now-a-days.

(Just looked, Colorado Elk tag...661!)

Re: What does everyone apply for hunting wise? - 05/22/18 04:02 PM

I think for a $300 tag and a hunt for under a grand for a nice bull like this I'll keep applying! LOL

Re: What does everyone apply for hunting wise? - 05/22/18 04:06 PM

What state is that Dog? Cheap if that's for a Nr Tag.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: What does everyone apply for hunting wise? - 05/22/18 04:21 PM

over the counter cow elk in Idaho works for me
Posted By: tjm

Re: What does everyone apply for hunting wise? - 05/22/18 04:27 PM

I apply every year for all the landowner tags available, deer and turkey. (only because they are $0.00)
If a deer cost over a half day's time or $10 in gas; then I'll buy a beef or hog like Danny said.

Re: What does everyone apply for hunting wise? - 05/22/18 05:02 PM

Originally Posted By: hippie

Resident once in a lifetime Park tag the Black Hills tags are less.
Posted By: Osky

Re: What does everyone apply for hunting wise? - 05/22/18 05:05 PM

Originally Posted By: nvwrangler
With the dream hunt thread and the talk about sheep hunting on anouther thread got me to wondering what everyone apply for when it comes to big game? I apply for deer, elk, antelope, bear, 3 spieces of big horn sheep and my goat every year in Nevada. Goal is to hunt moose in Alaska but will start applying for Idaho moose next year.

For moose looke up Dan of Cayouse outfitters. Been there often and that part of Idaho has some dandy moose. They get em.

Osky

Re: What does everyone apply for hunting wise? - 05/22/18 05:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Law Dog
Originally Posted By: hippie

Resident once in a lifetime Park tag the Black Hills tags are less.

Dang nice Bull.

They shoot'm like that here, but i don't apply.
Posted By: ShaneT

Re: What does everyone apply for hunting wise? - 05/22/18 05:47 PM

Accumulating points in Wyoming for elk, deer, and pronghorn. Planning on Montana general deer in the next two seasons. Going to start accumulating points for Colorado deer and South Dakota Antelope ASAP.

Re: What does everyone apply for hunting wise? - 05/22/18 08:09 PM

Archery Elk is my goal just not going to pay several grand to get one just not into it that much but if I'm going to go for one I want the chance at a decent one or I can stay home no problem. I could go to WY and try for a tag but $600 plus is not appealing to me and the expense that would go with it.

Rifled my first elk in 99 and I soon learned elk was nothing but chucking money away, its hot you need a cool place to keep it they want the bucks to do it you pay up or head home! The guy "lost" my bull cape and had a cow cape for me he was so nice! LOL Asked if I wanted to donate the brain for CWD testing I said no problem ($15) added on my bill, he was so nice! LOL
Posted By: Ryan McLeod

Re: What does everyone apply for hunting wise? - 05/22/18 10:34 PM

I wont be applying for any big game hunts this year, just like last year and the year before.
Posted By: garymc

Re: What does everyone apply for hunting wise? - 05/22/18 11:03 PM

WV is all OTC, but I apply to a few states every year. Maine Moose (drew in 2011 loved the state of Maine, loved the hunt, and the meat was excellent) I would jump at the opportunity to go again, NH moose still accumulating points permit numbers are down, Kentucky elk (one of these days I’ll get struck by lightning:) After drawing a Custer buffalo tag last year I told myself that was a one time deal, but the meat has been so good and the wife/I really enjoyed SD so for the price of points I’ll probably start accumulating points again. I love to travel to other states to hunt/fish it is far beyond the game pursued for me. It’s about seeing and hunting /fishing different places as well as meeting some great people along the way.
Posted By: SundanceMtnMan

Re: What does everyone apply for hunting wise? - 05/23/18 01:01 AM

Antlerless elk(long season), extra antlerless deer, early deer; we get turkey,either sex deer, either sex elk, bear,mountain lion,wolf and fishing and hunting license all in our sportsman packet.
Posted By: furiousfarmer

Re: What does everyone apply for hunting wise? - 05/23/18 01:41 AM

Here in Colorado I apply for everything in my state. Got my mountain goat in '15 in the Maroon Bells near Aspen, got a cow moose in '15 on the Grand Mesa. Drew a Bighorn Sheep this year for Colorado. Also live on the Colorado/Utah border and apply for almost everything in Utah. Never drawn anything there but gen season buck tag but I'll get something over there one of these years!
Posted By: walleyed

Re: What does everyone apply for hunting wise? - 05/23/18 01:46 AM

New York State Is All Over-The-Counter.

It's All About Animals Being Made Of Meat For Me.

Non-Residents Are All Over The Counter As Well.

Come And Get 'Em Boys.

w
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: What does everyone apply for hunting wise? - 05/23/18 02:36 AM

I went in bighorns last fall for elk, find out in two weeks if I can hunt co this fall
Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Re: What does everyone apply for hunting wise? - 05/23/18 02:42 AM

I hunt white tail deer here in Wisconsin but don't waste my money on limited permit draw/tags for other big game species. Feel the same way about otter, fisher and bobcat! Have not spent a red cent applying for those tags the past 10 years!

Chris
Posted By: RM trapper

Re: What does everyone apply for hunting wise? - 05/23/18 03:24 AM

I buy my residents license here in Tennessee, and do the the online lottery for my Illinois deer permits(which you always get) and I buy my Ohio license over the counter. I love to eat deer, and always take a couple doe, but I love chasing big bucks more than anything
Posted By: Jmack

Re: What does everyone apply for hunting wise? - 05/23/18 03:45 AM

I buy the sportsman package so I have elk,deer,bear,mt lion,wolf ,and various fishing tags. Wife puts in for moose and I put in for sheep. If I ever get drawn then will start in on mt goats. Use to go to Wyo for for antelope and hunt Neb.for season choice deer tags. Benn awhile since I have been back there though.
Posted By: johnsd16

Re: What does everyone apply for hunting wise? - 05/23/18 04:42 AM

As the other ID resident does, I got the sportsman’s package with general tags for bear, wolf, lion, deer, elk and turkey. I put in for controlled hunts here in ID for deer, elk, and pronghorn. We are in the draw this year in WY for pronghorn with 4pp. I drew a deer/elk tag for MT this year too. Lots of hunting to do.

I also have points in SD (deer, pronghorn), CO (deer, elk, pronghorn, goat, BH sheep and desert sheep), WY (deer, elk, and pronghorn), UT (general deer, LE deer, elk, and pronghorn), and MT (bonus points for LE deer, elk and pronghorn). Going to add NV and AZ points next year. Plan to put in for NM elk and deer in the future too.
Posted By: ShaneT

Re: What does everyone apply for hunting wise? - 05/23/18 12:07 PM

Here at home I buy the Sportman's Paradise License. It covers all small game plus deer and turkey. All I have left to buy Is the Federal Duck Stamp. It also covers freshwater and saltwater fishing including all the various recreational fishing gear licenses like slat traps, wire traps, hoop nets, set lines, gill nets, etc.
Posted By: wisconsinteacher

Re: What does everyone apply for hunting wise? - 05/23/18 02:47 PM

As a WI resident deer are OTC but I apply for others:

WI-bear, elk, bobcat, fisher, otter
SD-Black Hills deer, West River deer
WY-Elk, deer, antelope
CO-Elk, deer, moose

I am going to WY on a general elk tag this fall!!
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: What does everyone apply for hunting wise? - 05/23/18 02:54 PM

I can shoot enough deer here in Georgia to add up to elk size as far as meat goes. I spend my money on out of state turkey hunts. Heading to Mexico next year to complete my Royal Slam. All the other species have been public land, Mexico is gonna cost me, lol.

Re: What does everyone apply for hunting wise? - 05/23/18 03:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Wanna Be
I can shoot enough deer here in Georgia to add up to elk size as far as meat goes. I spend my money on out of state turkey hunts. Heading to Mexico next year to complete my Royal Slam. All the other species have been public land, Mexico is gonna cost me, lol.

For your goulds? I'm looking at Arizona for that one?
Posted By: DaveP

Re: What does everyone apply for hunting wise? - 05/24/18 12:11 AM

CO elk
WY antelope
GA and SC gator

Have done all the above a few times except the CO elk. Getting close to 20 years worth of PPs.

Will need a walker and O2 time I pull the tag.

Have pulled ME and NH moose tags as well.
Posted By: Sask hunter

Re: What does everyone apply for hunting wise? - 05/24/18 12:17 AM

Moose elk mulies and antelope all in SK
Posted By: adam m

Re: What does everyone apply for hunting wise? - 05/24/18 02:02 AM

That's a dandy bull Jerry.

I'm sad I didn't put in for any hunts this year. Hopefully my buddy comes through with a private land deer tag

Re: What does everyone apply for hunting wise? - 05/25/18 03:32 PM

Nevada results are out and I have a busy year now

Our group drew 3 cow tags as part of a party +
My youngest son (17) drew a bull elk tag in the same area I drew mine a few years ago
I drew a antelope horns shorter then ears and a ewe dessert sheep tag
My son in law drew a bear tag

others in the cow party drew some good tags too
Posted By: Tom Fisher

Re: What does everyone apply for hunting wise? - 05/25/18 08:12 PM

I put in every year for the Sargents , Humphreys , we also usually get an Elk plus tag I trade off the bull tag for a cow. I pulled a bull tag hunt for the Humphreys which is across the road from my house, neighbor has horses so we hunt from our front yard! Never thought I would be eating Elk and Cougar when we moved here--------It's A Good Time To Be A TRAPPER!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums