Home

Ticks!

Posted By: Cooncreek II

Ticks! - 05/24/18 03:23 PM

Picked 2 off of me in the last 2 weeks. We never saw a tick around here till a couple years ago.
How are they in your back yard?
Posted By: wvmntnhick

Re: Ticks! - 05/24/18 03:32 PM

Thick as fleas on a rabbit. Can’t walk 50 yards without picking one up these days. Rumor has it that this year is supposed to be one of the worst ever.
Posted By: gwm

Re: Ticks! - 05/24/18 03:36 PM

Hunted turkeys last week. Pulled over 75 off me. Normal day of work is 30-50 pulled off clothing etc. Can't wait for them to slow down.
Posted By: Sullivan K

Re: Ticks! - 05/24/18 04:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Munderf
We never saw a tick around here till a couple years ago.

You're from North West Ohio? I live in Bowling Green, which is pretty much North West , Ohio, and we have had ticks around here for 40 years.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Ticks! - 05/24/18 04:33 PM

Been pulling ticks off animals since January.
Posted By: mud

Re: Ticks! - 05/24/18 04:38 PM

Clearing my property on the eastern shore a couple weeks ago and I pulled 18 out of me (already bitten) in just over three hours on a Friday. Burned half a can of repellant on that Sunday and only got one more.

Headaches kicked in this past week. Three weeks now and one welt still the size of a ping-pong ball and red/swollen. Dr. says Lymes again.

I hate them little bastages...
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Ticks! - 05/24/18 04:48 PM

I was pulling 2-3 a day off when I went to a certain location , sprayed all my clothing in Permethrin and didn't pull another one off myself.

I need to retreat my clothing again.

while I have the sprayer out I hit the foundation of the house the front and back steps around the garage.

I also have treated the yard around the house with Ortho Bug-B-Gone spray that hooks up to the hose this is another form of Permethrin.

I don't like using chemicals like this but it is about as low risk as I am going to get and better spray than have ticks right around the house.
Posted By: Drifter

Re: Ticks! - 05/24/18 04:54 PM

Permethrin has my vote as well.
Posted By: ThisIsNotaStep

Re: Ticks! - 05/24/18 06:06 PM

fyi .. Permethrin is toxic to cats.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Ticks! - 05/24/18 07:00 PM

Originally Posted By: ThisIsNotaStep

when wet

after it dries on your clothing it is not a danger to the cats.
Posted By: l1ranger

Re: Ticks! - 05/24/18 07:09 PM

Originally Posted By: ThisIsNotaStep

thats just a bonus.

permethrin works

last year wasn't too bad for ticks, but this year looks like its going to be bad in my area.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Ticks! - 05/24/18 07:21 PM

Usually there are lots of ticks on my farm. A few years ago, Diane got 47 dog ticks off me one time and I got 64 off of one small beagle. This year, Diane had 1 stuck in at her hair line and one crawling on her leg.

I have not found any ticks on the 4 dogs or me this year. Usually we would have pulled a couple of hundred ticks by now. I am glad ticks are scarce right now.

Keith
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Ticks! - 05/24/18 07:44 PM

Going to be lot here, already had to deal with 20+ so far (turkey hunting/ADC beaver) included but get a few around the house. Would of had more but the chickens help keep them under control.
Posted By: Cooncreek II

Re: Ticks! - 05/24/18 07:58 PM

Just got back from bow fishing and got 2 more eek I have lived in Clyde for 57 years, you might have saw one once in awhile but not like now. You can keep your ticks in BG Sullivan K
Posted By: rick brocious

Re: Ticks! - 05/24/18 09:27 PM

I think there's a tick on every blade of grass around here . There's a clothing line called Elimi Tick been wearing it for years. Whenever I'm gonna be in high grass or hunting that's what I wear and i never get a tick on me. It's impregnated with permethrin .
Posted By: Drifter

Re: Ticks! - 05/24/18 10:30 PM

Anyone tried Bifen Insecticide / Termiticide ? Supossed to be longer residual then with permethirin.
Posted By: snowy

Re: Ticks! - 05/24/18 11:12 PM

Anyone ever try this recipe? I have used straight vinegar with some success not 100% protection but does seem to help.

I have use straight vinegar and seems to help not 100& In a spray bottle, mix 2 cups of distilled white vinegar and 1 cup of water. To make a scented solution so you do not smell like bitter vinegar all day, add 20 drops of your favorite essential oil or bath oil. Eucalyptus oil is a calm, soothing scent that also works as a tick repellent, while peppermint and citrus oils give off a strong crisp scent that also repel ticks. After mixing the solution, spray onto clothing, skin, and hair before going outdoors. Reapply every four hours to keep ticks at bay.

In a spray bottle, mix 2 cups of distilled white vinegar and 1 cup of water. To make a scented solution so you do not smell like bitter vinegar all day, add 20 drops of your favorite essential oil or bath oil. Eucalyptus oil is a calm, soothing scent that also works as a tick repellent, while peppermint and citrus oils give off a strong crisp scent that also repel ticks. After mixing the solution, spray onto clothing, skin, and hair before going outdoors. Reapply every four hours to keep ticks at bay.
Posted By: jeff1911

Re: Ticks! - 05/24/18 11:25 PM

I;m over them....I feel like (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) for 4 days now....goin to the va for lyme tests Tuesday....all joking aside is there anyway to get ahold of ddt anymore.....f%^k the birds and the bugs.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Ticks! - 05/25/18 01:02 AM

Started spraying my hunting and “woods” clothes with Sawyers years ago and haven’t had a tick on me since. And I’m in the woods every single day rain or shine. Even no ticks on my out of state trips (Kansas used to be the worst for ticks) I spray every Spring before turkey season and every Fall before bow season. Pants, shorts, socks, etc...NOT ONE TICK.
Posted By: Pressure9pa

Re: Ticks! - 05/25/18 01:10 AM

Been awful here the last 2-3 weeks.
Posted By: Computer Hater

Re: Ticks! - 05/25/18 01:25 AM

Spray your clothes with permethrin. IT DOES WORK!!!! I was skeptical. I used it last year and never had a tick after I sprayed my clothes. I didn't know if it was a coincidence or if it really worked. Just recently I sprayed my woods clothes with permethrin. I have actually seen 7 ticks crawling on my jeans since I did it. After a while they all started crawling in semi circles and stretching their legs out like they were crawling on hot coals. 6 of them just fell off. The 7th just stopped moving. I finally pulled him off and smashed him between 2 small rocks. Spray your shirt, jeans, hat, and shoes. I'm not skeptical any more.
Posted By: RF Wildlife

Re: Ticks! - 05/25/18 01:32 AM

Pull them off me daily here from my yard. Trying Thermacell Tick Control Tubes. Lots of mice this past winter now lots of ticks. The concept of treated mouse bedding seems good to me. Lyme is literally two minutes away from me.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums