Home

South Dakota proposed trapping regulations

Posted By: Larry Bowden

South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 05/30/18 04:10 AM

Very important need to voice your opinion to SD GF&P asap.
Posted By: Staner

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 05/30/18 01:20 PM

Larry, I thought the proposal for West River extended the use of snares to year round...has that changed?
Posted By: KeithC

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 05/30/18 03:33 PM

Without trappers removing furbearers, the bird population, that the bird hunter wants to hunt, will decrease due to furbearers eating eggs, chicks and adult gamebirds.

Keith
Posted By: bblwi

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 05/30/18 03:41 PM

It is unfortunate but the reality is the pheasant hunting brings in a lot of out of state revenues for your state and the loss or injury of well trained dogs by out of state hunters is a bigger deal than if they shoot 2 or 4 roosters for most of them Also we must remember that trappers mostly trap when fur prices justify trapping so to say that we control those egg eaters Coons and the grinners and skunks that go with those catches is a real stretch on our part. $7 corn and dry genetics corn with cold tolerance has cost more pheasant loss than all the predators have so we need to find betters ways to be involved in those discussions because the fur harvest reports tell a totally different story than the one(s) we like to tell.

Bryce
Posted By: coydog2

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 05/30/18 03:55 PM

Originally Posted By: KeithC
Without trappers removing furbearers, the bird population, that the bird hunter wants to hunt, will decrease due to furbearers eating eggs, chicks and adult gamebirds.

Keith
I trap on land here in Iowa that is what the land owner wants me to just do take out the animals that dose all of this to bring back the game birds.it is working too for all I been trapping.n matter what the price of fur is.Too bad for SD for how things are going. but the bird hunters will wish they have the trappers when the game birds start to go down and the out of state hunters start to not show because of lack of game birds.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 05/30/18 04:38 PM

Since the bird numbers are so low are they going to shorten the season on them also?
Posted By: drasselt

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 05/30/18 04:44 PM

Dogs and traps is a bad mix. Here we promote general signage. Not sure that is much help in this situation.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 05/30/18 05:23 PM

Looks like a slippery slope you're headed down. I see "Cable Restraints" at best in your future if you give in. I wouldn't be happy with the guys who are supposed to be on your side agreeing with #3 either if it were my state.

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 05/30/18 05:37 PM

We need to deal with the facts a little tutorial in the handbook on 220s and snares might do more then a pile of new rules that won't matter in the end.

Had a warden once tell me he carried a pair of pliers/cutters while hunting to get his dog out of snares! I just laughed and said, "why you don't need them?" and I showed him how to release a lock by just changing the angle. The sad thing was he was not interested in the truth as the problem he created suited him better then the reality.

I was making snares for M&M at that time (70s) and he wanted me to get a permit for every package I made without deer locks that were required at the time just to be a jerk. Guess who got promoted to supervisor a few years after that! LOL

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 05/30/18 06:06 PM

The commission has changed the proposal multiple times. This proposal came from the commission and was not recommended by the GF&P staff to the commission.
SD GF&P has records for the last 15 years showing no loss of any hunting dogs to snares. They have no records previous to that time.
I submitted this post to generate public input to preserve our trapping and snaring in SD.
We need all SD residents to voice their opinion by mail, on the GF&P website, or in person at the June 7th commission meeting in Aberdeen .
The commission really pays attention to residents who take the time to voice their opinion. The Western SD Fur Harvesters Association and SDTA officers have work hand in hand on this issue. It has taken a tremendous amount of time and money. We have gotten a lot of support from our friends in the livestock industry. The SD Stock Growers Association and SD sheep Growers sent wonderful letters supporting trapping and opposing this proposal to the commission. I encourage you to join at least one or our trapping organizations, many of us belong to both the WSDFHA and SDTA.
Posted By: Kre

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 05/30/18 06:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Law Dog
We need to deal with the facts a little tutorial in the handbook on 220s and snares might do more then a pile of new rules that won't matter in the end.

Had a warden once tell me he carried a pair of pliers/cutters while hunting to get his dog out of snares! I just laughed and said, "why you don't need them?" and I showed him how to release a lock by just changing the angle. The sad thing was he was not interested in the truth as the problem he created suited him better then the reality.

I was making snares for M&M at that time (70s) and he wanted me to get a permit for every package I made without deer locks that were required at the time just to be a jerk. Guess who got promoted to supervisor a few years after that! LOL

I get some pheasant information from a trapper in SD and last year he recommended I carry a cable cutters. Just sayin'....

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 05/30/18 06:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Kre

I get some pheasant information from a trapper in SD and last year he recommended I carry a cable cutters. Just sayin'....

For what is my question?
Posted By: Boco

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 05/30/18 07:11 PM

When a snare with a kill spring and aggressive cam lock is cinched down tight on an animal,cable cutters is the only way of getting it off.

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 05/30/18 07:19 PM

Multiple times during meetings we suggested changes to be added to the hunting/trapping handbook and the public lands guide informing hunters how snares work and may be present. We suggested posting signs at parking areas at Game production areas (GPA) and Wildlife production areas (WPA)stating that traps and snares may be present during posted dates. Both associations offered to help install the signs at parking lots. We suggested that a video link be added to the GF&P website showing how snares operate and how to remove them from a dog. Both trapping organizations volunteered to do presentations at youth hunter classes on snares and traps. GF&P staffers and a state trapper displayed different types of snare cable and cable cutters. We also discussed adding a recommendation to the handbook and land atlas that hunters may want to carry cable cutters in their coat or vest.

As you see these are allcommon sense solutions and were very well received by GF&P staffers that were present.
However these solutions did not seem acceptable to the one commissioner who attended our January 2018 meeting. Thus it has evolved into what we have today.

For about twenty years I have been either a director or officer with WSDFHA. I have attended countless meetings with SD GF&P personnel and we have worked thru a variety of issues. We need to work thru this one, put it behind us and focus on our passion "Trapping".

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 05/30/18 07:22 PM

I could see the power snare being a problem!

Never used those springs I know a few guys that do so I have no experience with them!
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 05/30/18 09:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Boco
When a snare with a kill spring and aggressive cam lock is cinched down tight on an animal,cable cutters is the only way of getting it off.

That's not true I've opened hundreds of cam lock on coyote necks with just my for finger and thumb
If hunters knew what to do if their dog gets caught would be better results than restrictions

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 05/30/18 10:27 PM

After a yote/coon/badger catch and they struggle a lock can be a problem with kinks and fraying yes but a leash trained, fresh caught dog should be a cake walk! I have snared my on dogs over the years never had any issues!

Now power snares and kill locks I have little experience with, the power snares (big coni type of spring I would have reservations with on public lands.) The ones I tried for badgers (under ground) were not worth it to me to use them when a regular snare would do the same job.
Posted By: Scott A

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 05/31/18 02:07 AM

Don't agree to number 3! That'll be the first step in full ban on snares...they'll chip away until they get the full ban...
Posted By: ky_coyote_hunter

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 05/31/18 03:02 AM

I tell hunters all the time...If you want to protect hunting, join your state and national trapping organizations.

The smart ones see it, and they know that trapping is the "canary in the well" so to speak...We have to get on the same page.

If trapping goes, it all goes in time, we are at the forefront of all this, and it's a united we stand, divided we fall situation.
...Preaching to the crowd here, but hope SD doesn't impose any restrictions.
Posted By: 4 Fur

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 05/31/18 04:00 AM

Several years ago SD changed the season on non-resident trapping to Dec. 1 to March 15 which effectively eliminated guys from non-restricted reciprocal agreement states like Iowa from trapping rats in SD. Just curious, did you SD guys on here oppose that rule change?

Good luck with fighting this unwise furbearer management restriction. BTW you can still come down here to Iowa and trap non-res with identical laws the locals enjoy including public ground snaring. smile
Posted By: LLtrapper

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 05/31/18 11:50 AM

They should have stopped them when they could. There were 13 in our own ranks that got that law changed and now as the antis grab more (which they always will) who is really surprised. LLL

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 05/31/18 04:37 PM

You can open a cam from a dinky little animal like a fox or western coyote with your fingers,a large animal that has a 75 lb spring fully compressed-no way in Hel are you going to loosen off a toothed cam or amberg wedge with your fingers.
I will put one on your wrist and yank it hard and watch you panic trying to get it off without cutters.
Posted By: blackhammer

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 05/31/18 09:02 PM

That’s a shame.
Posted By: nimzy

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 05/31/18 11:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Larry Bowden

I know a bunch of trappers that tried this a few years back. They don’t listen.

Good luck
Posted By: kjcouchey

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 06/01/18 12:56 AM

Our Gfp is focused on one thing $$$$$. We cater to all of these nonresident pheasant hunters and have no thought of anyone else. Ill be at the meeting but i have a feeling that this is already a done deal. Anyone remember the Duck hunting proposal. It was 2 to 1 against adding more out of state license's but they still went ahead and opened up more lisc. That wasnt just the resident's either, that was alot out of state guys saying they want it that way so they can have a quality duck hunt and most of them drew duck tags every other year. This is all about where the money comes from $$$$$$$
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 06/01/18 03:31 AM

Quote:
Our Gfp is focused on one thing $$$$$. We cater to all of these nonresident pheasant hunters and have no thought of anyone else. Ill be at the meeting but i have a feeling that this is already a done deal. Anyone remember the Duck hunting proposal. It was 2 to 1 against adding more out of state license's but they still went ahead and opened up more lisc. That wasnt just the resident's either, that was alot out of state guys saying they want it that way so they can have a quality duck hunt and most of them drew duck tags every other year. This is all about where the money comes from $$$$$$$

I'm sure there are plenty of big buck chuck resident pheasant hunters that would whine if their dog got tangled in a snare, although why they would be hunting public land, I don't know. There's plenty of bird hunters on the south side of Sioux Falls metro that look down their noses at trappers. 10 grand in a super papered dog and fancy gun makes them think they should have more say in this state than everybody else.

I'm fairly neutral on our state agency, they are a mixed bag, but if you want to criticize them for kissing up to big money, we only have ourselves to look in the mirror for the reason. As far as I know, SD GF&P gets no general fund money. If the agency only survives by selling licenses and other fees, they are in a tough place to please everyone so big buck squeaky wheels get the grease...
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 06/01/18 04:43 AM

With the proper ground work laid in place small buck squeaky wheels get greased as well.

Put in the effort and it could work out for you guys in the end.

Good luck Larry, if there is something I could do to help let us know.

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 06/01/18 12:24 PM

Thanks for the offer Steve. We appreciate your support.
We can make a difference if our resident trappers will take a few minutes and express there opposition to the GF&P commission. It needs do asap to be counted.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 06/01/18 01:36 PM

Originally Posted By: nimzy

I know a bunch of trappers that tried this a few years back. They don’t listen.

Good luck

Not so Nimzy.
A few years ago In SD 13 SD trappers got non residents booted out.
Posted By: Rat Masterson

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 06/01/18 04:50 PM

Mother nature and the market would have accomplished the same thing if they would have been patient.
Posted By: Rich Kaspar

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 06/01/18 05:18 PM

[/quote]

Not so Nimzy.
A few years ago In SD 13 SD trappers got non residents booted out. [/quote]

So very true!

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 06/01/18 05:24 PM

We might not be correct on our numbers Beav, 13 or so trappers started it by petition, and another couple 100 joined it in support at the public hearing

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 06/01/18 06:59 PM

Agree or disagree with those 13 guys but they showed what a motivated movement can accomplish.

Ultimately, supreme power belongs to the legislature if the SDGFP isn't helpful.

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 06/02/18 12:07 AM

If your going to tell a story at least tell a true story without all of the drama BS! How is a 90+ season booted? I don't like it either but booted is total crap!

Do a little research and see how many species are closed to NR in other States check NV, MI, MT start there then look in the archives for many past discussion before buying into a few cheap shots being thrown around!

Posted By: nimzy

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 06/02/18 01:57 AM

Apparently rich and beav didn’t write. I never trapped in SD but I wrote on the behalf of the NRs and they didn’t listen to me.

They let that state get diseased out and ate down. Not enough pressure I suspect.

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 06/02/18 02:11 AM

If your going to tell a story at least tell a true story without all of the drama BS! How is a 90+ season booted? I don't like it either but booted is total crap!

Do a little research and see how many species are closed to NR in other States check NV, MI, MT start there then look in the archives for many past discussion before buying into a few cheap shots being thrown around!

Well did you vote to limit Non resident Trapping In SD?

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 06/02/18 02:30 AM

Why did you guys have to hijack Larry's thread.

Start a different one.
Posted By: Wild_Idaho

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 06/02/18 02:54 AM

As an avid upland bird and waterfowl hunter AND trapper, the guy who's dog was caught needs to realize that it is PUBLIC land. Like was stated already, trappers have helped pay for that public land just as much as other hunters and anglers. If someone is so concerned about traps being on public land then they should keep their dogs off of it. I hunt upland birds and waterfowl with my dog about 50 days per year on public land. While I do think option #3 is a reasonable compromise, I also think that if #3 is put in place, it will eventually lead to more restrictions on trapping. Once the anti's get their foot in the door, there is no telling what other kind of regulations they may come up with.

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 06/02/18 03:08 AM

Was the guys dog injured?
Posted By: wetdog

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 06/02/18 03:18 AM

I can see BMP in SDs future.
Have fun with CRs,

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 06/02/18 03:30 AM

Originally Posted By: The Beav

Well did you vote to limit Non resident Trapping In SD?

Heck no did you ever trap SD?

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 06/02/18 06:43 PM

Nice try at your BS spin of the facts there buckwheat, but lets clarify that a little here....you and your cronys petitioned to keep NR trappers out for the first 30 days of the season, and the last 60, eliminating pretty much ALL open water muskrat trapping for all NR trappers....Gee come to SD in dead of winter for around $300 to trap nothing but winter rats!.....actually, ya already HAD the open water first 30 days all to yourself.....

Beadle told me the first year I went to SD, even with the high price of rats, less than 10% if the availeble sloughs get trapped, and I found that to be about correct.....and then, the facts of the matter were at that time, once Beadle (the driving force in the muskrat market of SD) would drop the carcass price down below $3, all the locals would quit because they are too lazy to skin....that would happen the 5th-10th of April, leaving a least 20 days left of the season, when it would become a ghost town of trappers minus a few NR here and there that stuck it out and would skin their catch.....and EVERYONE except a handfull of greedy local trappers were glad to see ANYONE trapping rats, your Roads and Hiway Dept, your county commisioneers who had to maintain the caved in roads......and for more than over 50% of the spring open water season, nearly all local trappers would sit it out cause they couldnt sharpen a knife!

When SD dried up and the rats were gone, guess where everyone in SD went?...Right up to ND that didnt get on the greed train along with ya, but you guys ALMOST managed to get ND to follow suit once everyone from SD showed up for spring rat trapping up there.....We want OUR gravy train ALL to ourselves, but dont mind if we do, and hop on someone else gravy train, and in the process spread your bs greed agenda North of your own border.....and the driving motivation in ND wasnt so much NR trappers in general, but more specific, NR trappers from SD having their way in our sand box, but not allowing us into YOUR sand box

Never mind the futile attempts made on this very site by some SD trappers, to try to spread the BIG FAT LIE, that Nebraska had eliminated SD residents from buying a NR Nebr fur harvest permit, due to SD limiting NR trapping opportunities, and now big mean Nebr gives us the total boot......nice try trying to save face with THAT little bag of bs you were trying to gain traction with...... and that would sure put a crimp on the 1/2 doz/to doz SD East River (east river SD bobcat trapping NOT allowed) trappers that buy a Nebr for the sole purpose of black marketing their illegal east river bobcat catch....

So.....before the national money begging campaigne begins to help save the poor oppressed SD trappers facing their anti-trapping legislation.....I think its compleatly fair to review history and let everyone NOT from SD know the truth about what brother trapper did to their fellow trapper in the past

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 06/02/18 06:56 PM

Well said Rich.

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 06/02/18 06:59 PM

My pleasure Gary

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 06/02/18 07:35 PM

I trap them same 90 days I trap through the winter months it's obvious you have never been here or love the drama, I trap the majority of my rats through the ice every year (buy a freaking auger!), the fact that you only think we have muskrats here says a lot we have a lot more to offer always have.

I have trapped all over and access is a key issue you can buy a license and never get access to use it and many places you will get froze out and snowed out, that is seldom happens here that a guy can work around.

I don't like the shorter season never did but I can do as much about it as MN guys can to get a season going there, you look around many States block NR from trapping species residents can trap just make SD your whipping boy! SD and NE have similar so do you get snowed out every year there?

Most of the complainers never plan to come here never did just can't pass up a cheap shot, people coming here will find a great trapping experience but the ones sitting at the keyboards never will do anything but complain.

So if you come out and have a bad experience lets hear it if your clueless never been here and don't plan on coming, stop with the cheap shots it's not helping anything.

Not a person on here that asks me a question that does not get a respectful reply in a timely manner weather it be about hunting or trapping so quit bashing a whole State with a lot to offer the one's that want a great experience in trapping.

There is a big difference between the 13 and the other trappers in SD that's just childish to think everyone is the same and the BS promotes trapper against trapper with the reindeer games some like to play.

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 06/02/18 07:50 PM

I never been there?....really.....couple DVD with me in em might say different...2 spring seasons and 2 winters of 2-3 weeks in SD....

Buy an auger?....I made augers moron

...and wh0 started the "reindeer games" to start with?......would this conversation even be happening w/o the "reindeer games" SD trappers started?.....answear THAT one buckwheat.....

Sorry if your little ploy to forget the past of what happened in SD inst to your liking,...but, just like the holocaust, history is history, no matter how ugly the real truth of it is, no matter what spin you want to put on it......

Sorry, but when the tin cup gets passed around to help SD trappers....think Ill pass.....

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 06/02/18 08:51 PM

Never heard of ya, the "never been to SD" was a question not a statement then I said the "get a freaking Auger thing because that's exactly what I did to trap rats, so much drama your missing the point! If you have been to SD and still don't get you never will I guess.

If you look back the bashing did not start with me but that won't fit the bill for you, like I said many times I don't like the way it's set up never did but you keep missing that I guess. I'm saying SD is way better then a lot of places I have trapped in the past and would be a dream to trap for many on here.

I guess looking at the positive doesn't fit the drama thing. As far as not supporting SD in any way I will continue to support other trappers no matter where they live.

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 06/02/18 08:52 PM

I always appreciate your posts and pictures Law Dog and have zero problem with you. But I guess I do have a problem with you minimizing how wrong the rule change that restricted NR trapping and effectively eliminated open water rat trapping in SD for reciprocal NRs. Glad you weren't one of the 13 guys, but if you witnessed 13 guys raping a women wouldn't you do something beside saying, "Hey it wasn't me?" Please Law Dog (and other non-13 SD trappers), will you at least try to get this law changed? Don't you agree it would be the right thing?

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 06/02/18 08:55 PM

Back to the OP I will go to my local GFP office on Monday and talk with my CO's and regional supervisor and bring the different types of snares with me and go over them with them! Anybody else has any ideas lets hear them.

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 06/02/18 09:06 PM

Grass Roots will be the way to beat this back. Don't just contact GFP. call legislators as well.

When we get NR trapping in aMN I'm coming Jerry. It will be in winter

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 06/02/18 09:10 PM

Like I said I don't like it but like always a guy has to make the best of it, a lot of guys in MN worked hard to get NR trapping there but did not fly I don't blame them all for it but the one's that make the comments just blow my mind at the irony of it.

If you ever trapped in say IL you might understand what I'm saying or what I'm trying to get across with making the best of it VS having nothing either by law or by choice.

We have a LOT of advantages that other States can't/don't offer is what I see so I see what can be gained but other focus on what we have no control of and miss the big picture.

A lot of guys would love to catch a badger, pale yote or a nice cat without a limit I just can't see taking that away from them over unfair dates. If I go to another State I have to make it work for me right? I will mention to GFP the season is unfair again on Monday but I'm afraid little will be done about it.

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 06/02/18 09:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Steven 49er
Grass Roots will be the way to beat this back. Don't just contact GFP. call legislators as well.

When we get NR trapping in aMN I'm coming Jerry. It will be in winter

Have a spare room waiting for you Steve if my dog does not lick you to death!

My thought is these guys will be at those "secret" meetings and it won't hurt to educate them!

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 06/02/18 09:15 PM

Back to the OP I will go to my local GFP office on Monday and talk with my CO's and regional supervisor and bring the different types of snares with me and go over them with them! Anybody else has any ideas lets hear them.

How about suggesting they review the NR season trapping dates? Open up with the idea of changing NR pheasant shooting hours to sunset to sunrise lol. Then tell them the rule change was not based on sound wildlife management principles and they are underestimating the economic impact it has on SD's economy. If you think it has cast an unfavorable image on SD residents, more specifically SD resident trappers and outdoors men, tell them that as well. Good luck on Monday Law Dog. It may not help but much respect for trying!

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 06/02/18 09:24 PM

They don't like to hear from me on the pheasant season thing either! LOL I think it's a slap in the face to pound public (youth/Resident) seasons then some poor working guy comes from out of State and pays the big buck for 3rd pass on public! When I see a out of State hunter in my trapping area I try to put them on birds where I have been seeing them. Don't get me wrong the youth hunt is no biggie but seeing a guy with a few thousand acers pounding public is just wrong to me.

I make it a point not to carry a shotgun while trapping I like to trap I don't want to appear greedy and trap and hunt everything. Trapping here is a landowner service but hunting is a privilege granted by the landowner, I'd rather be giving then getting I guess.

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 06/02/18 09:25 PM

Answer to The Beav,
The second sentence of my post states "The dog survived and is fine".
The dog was not injured.
Thank you Steven 49er for your comment about the "Hi Jacking".
We are just trying to preserve trapping/snaring in SD.
Can you envision how any anti's monitoring this post would be encouraged by the bickering among our ranks?

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 06/02/18 09:28 PM

Answer to The Beav,
The second sentence of my post states "The dog survived and is fine".
The dog was not injured.
Thank you Steven 49er for your comment about the "Hi Jacking".
We are just trying to preserve trapping/snaring in SD.
Can you envision how any anti's monitoring this post would be encouraged by the bickering among our ranks?

Always the same results here on any SD posts. I will visit with the State trapper here and see what the "real" issue is, my guess is a guy with some bucks or friends with bucks is the dogs owner!

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 06/02/18 10:04 PM

Oh, don't get me wrong Larry, I'm all for bickering but lets start another post and I'll let er rip lol.g

These issues are going to challenge us all constantly going forward and I think we should all be unified.

But makes it difficult to be.unified when states like MN and SD discriminate against their brothers for no sound biological reason.

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 06/02/18 10:12 PM

Law Dog,
The proposal was generated from WITHIN the GF&P Commission. It was NOT a recommendation from the GF&P staff to the commission.
Please spend your time by getting on gfp.sd.gov and follow the instructions on page two of my post to register your opposition to "Trapping Prohibitions". This has to be done THIS WEEKEND to be counted. If you wait until Monday your opinion will NOT be counted. It has to be submitted 72 hours before the day the commission meets.
Visiting with your state trapper would be fine but it will do NOTHING to stop or limit this proposal. Ever heard the quote about "preaching to the choir"? Your state trapper or any of the other GF&P staff will NOT be voting on this next Thursday or Friday. The SD GF&P COMMISSIONERS are the only ones who WILL be voting on this proposal June 7th or 8th.
Thank you for helping and please contact anyone else who will oppose this.
Larry

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 06/02/18 10:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Rich Kaspar

Nice try at your BS spin of the facts there buckwheat, but lets clarify that a little here....you and your cronys petitioned to keep NR trappers out for the first 30 days of the season, and the last 60, eliminating pretty much ALL open water muskrat trapping for all NR trappers....Gee come to SD in dead of winter for around $300 to trap nothing but winter rats!.....actually, ya already HAD the open water first 30 days all to yourself.....

Beadle told me the first year I went to SD, even with the high price of rats, less than 10% if the availeble sloughs get trapped, and I found that to be about correct.....and then, the facts of the matter were at that time, once Beadle (the driving force in the muskrat market of SD) would drop the carcass price down below $3, all the locals would quit because they are too lazy to skin....that would happen the 5th-10th of April, leaving a least 20 days left of the season, when it would become a ghost town of trappers minus a few NR here and there that stuck it out and would skin their catch.....and EVERYONE except a handfull of greedy local trappers were glad to see ANYONE trapping rats, your Roads and Hiway Dept, your county commisioneers who had to maintain the caved in roads......and for more than over 50% of the spring open water season, nearly all local trappers would sit it out cause they couldnt sharpen a knife!

When SD dried up and the rats were gone, guess where everyone in SD went?...Right up to ND that didnt get on the greed train along with ya, but you guys ALMOST managed to get ND to follow suit once everyone from SD showed up for spring rat trapping up there.....We want OUR gravy train ALL to ourselves, but dont mind if we do, and hop on someone else gravy train, and in the process spread your bs greed agenda North of your own border.....and the driving motivation in ND wasnt so much NR trappers in general, but more specific, NR trappers from SD having their way in our sand box, but not allowing us into YOUR sand box

Never mind the futile attempts made on this very site by some SD trappers, to try to spread the BIG FAT LIE, that Nebraska had eliminated SD residents from buying a NR Nebr fur harvest permit, due to SD limiting NR trapping opportunities, and now big mean Nebr gives us the total boot......nice try trying to save face with THAT little bag of bs you were trying to gain traction with...... and that would sure put a crimp on the 1/2 doz/to doz SD East River (east river SD bobcat trapping NOT allowed) trappers that buy a Nebr for the sole purpose of black marketing their illegal east river bobcat catch....

So.....before the national money begging campaigne begins to help save the poor oppressed SD trappers facing their anti-trapping legislation.....I think its compleatly fair to review history and let everyone NOT from SD know the truth about what brother trapper did to their fellow trapper in the past
Good post Rich. Well put. Pretty eloquent for a Nebraska hillbilly grin

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 06/02/18 10:43 PM

Will do on it now!

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 06/02/18 10:54 PM

Why don't you guys just suggest to G&F, to just take away NR snares and problem solved....youll get to keep your snares, blame problem on someone else, and let NR pay the price.....beings it already in your DNA to chop your fellow trappers off at the knee already

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 06/02/18 10:58 PM

Just what you have been doing on this post lumping all into one looking at the negative and not the positive, threating to not support others, ya that's they way to do it! LOL Seriously

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 06/02/18 10:59 PM

Here is what I put in my comments:

Comments:
This was brought about by a dog owner who's dog was caught in a snare and was not hurt so what is the point then? Educate yourself on what a snare is and how they work, in the past I have talked with people that should know how they work but had no interest in learning about them. Talk with your State trappers they are the Pros they use this equipment every day!
Posted By: DakotaTrapper605

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 06/02/18 11:29 PM

How did this go from a simple public announcement to help trappers to a trapper VS trapper thread? I object all three proposals. Public land should be public. The problem you get into with this is the money and influence is not coming from SD residents its coming from out of state revenue. I was born and raised here and I feel everyone has the rights to tax payer land. This instance happens one in a million considering how many people enter our state to pheasant hunt why should we as trappers give in to anything. If a dog crosses a gravel road and gets hit by a car we don't quit driving on that road because there are dogs around. To me this is really elementary stuff accidents happen in all facets of our lives and we have to learn to live with it. Government regulations have not and never will solve the complex of human activity.

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 06/02/18 11:45 PM

Jerry,
Thank you for submitting your opinion to the commission. It's really easy to do on line.
Mark from Dakota Line Snares did a very in depth snare presentation at the May Commission meeting held in Custer State Park. Mark even brought his retriever and snared and released him in his demo for the commission. We had a very professional presentation involving both Western SD Fur Harvesters and SDTA officers and members.
Both Associations have really worked hard on this issue. By next weekend we should know the out come.
Thanks again,
Larry

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 06/02/18 11:50 PM

My biggest fear is to have a room full of people with the power and no knowledge of snaring making decisions on things called "kill springs", "Kill locks" and "power snares"! You need anything else just let me know I will do what I can.

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 06/02/18 11:55 PM

Dakota Trapper 605,
We used your reasons and many more common sense solutions and examples in this debate with the commission.
The bottom line is SD trappers and residents have to voice their opinions TO the commissioners.
The anti crowd has been voicing their support of these restrictions.
Thanks again for logging a positive response to help trappers.
Larry

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 06/03/18 12:07 AM

Good luck Larry, hopefully you can get enough trappers to physically show up at the meetings. It's hard but necessary at times.

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 06/03/18 12:12 AM

Larry Bowden- What city is the GFP commission meeting this coming week? I know they tend to move around the state

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 06/03/18 12:28 AM

NonPCFed,
Next weeks commission meeting is in Aberdeen on the 7th and 8th.
If you can't attend to voice your opposition the best thing to do is get on the website. I have given step by step instructions on the original post.
After listing your name and address just follow the instructions on the site. You need to click on the "oppose" box and if you want just type in that you oppose the entire proposal. This has to be done this weekend.
Thanks for helping,
Larry

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 06/03/18 12:32 AM

What's wrong with buckwheat...? I sort of like buckwheat pancakes and the crop is kind of pretty when its in bloom...

P.S. Not many mrats sold in SD last year or the last few. I haven't seen an active rat hut in my home county since 2011. I'm sure allowing NRs to open water trap rats would have stopped the effects of the 2011/12 drought, local land-use changes, and whatever else whacked the rat populations. Granted, a certain percentage of SD caught rats aren't sold in the state but this number used to be in the quarter million to 300,000 range in the past. Pretty sad actually.

https://gfpga.sd.gov/hunting/trapping/fur-report.aspx

P.S.S. I haven't sold a rat in the round in 30 years and I do know how to sharpen a knife, just can't skin very fast. Then again, I trap to recreate, at least to a certain point. I think fishers are really cool and catching one is on my bucket list so I checked the northern woods states to see where I might go someday in the future. As of when I checked a couple of years ago, MN was out as a NR unless I owned land, WI has a limited lottery system for fisher so my chances of pulling a tag there would be slim, and MI bans NR trappers from about 20 states, including both Dakotas so it looked like NY might be my best shot. Their laws will probably change in the next 10 years so that will probably be out. Bummer...

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 06/03/18 12:33 AM

Quote:
NonPCFed,
If you can't attend to voice your opposition the best thing to do is get on the website. I have given step by step instructions on the original post.
After listing your name and address just follow the instructions on the site. You need to click on the "oppose" box and if you want just type in that you oppose the entire proposal. This has to be done this weekend.
Thanks for helping,
Larry

Will do tonight Larry before I go to bed. Thanks for all the efforts!!

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 06/03/18 01:06 AM

PC, I'll sell you an acre cheap. Really cheap!

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 06/03/18 01:31 AM

Anybody catch the irony on the last page? Let's see who is paying attention.

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 06/03/18 03:32 AM

You can come to WI and the only restriction that I know Of Is a 1 week set back for non residents that want to trap coon. You take the same chance as we do when It comes to drawing a fisher tag or an otter tag or a cat tag.
Posted By: ebsurveyor

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 06/03/18 04:42 AM

Posted By: AJE

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 06/03/18 05:08 AM

Originally Posted By: KeithC

Keith
True
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 06/03/18 11:32 AM

I did some calling in S.D. back in 98. Couldn't trap at all back then. Finally got changed then restricted back some again.

I wish KS was reciprocal like we used to be. IMO that changed to increase revenue to wildlife and parks. License fees keep increasing here. I can't help but think KSWP has enough money to go back to reciprocity. What do you other KS trappers think? Think adding 10 bucks to a license (if needed) to get reciprocity back is worth it?

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 06/03/18 01:06 PM

Larry Bowden-

Here's what I sent to the SD GFP Commission last night:

Many types of public land across the USA have to balance multiple use by various groups. Sometimes these uses may appear to be in conflict with each other thus requiring wise management of said land that don't favor one group over another. Bird hunters with dogs should not be the only voices heard in the management of public land in SD. Trapping can and has for a long time co-existed with hunting on public land. Snares are not lethal to hunting dogs or any more injurious than barbed wire fences. When trappers pay for a trapping license in SD, some of our money goes to buying and maintaining public land. My trapping license fee shouldn't be used to block me from effectively taking furbearing animals at the peak of fur quality just because an occasional bird hunter may have to get his dog out of a snare (really not that hard). Snaring is one of the most effective ways to catch coyotes and I suspect that predator numbers will increase on public land without snaring and thus negatively impact game bird numbers. Same is true with public ROW. The current snare regulations is that a snare can't be attached to a fence without the owner's permission and well as trapping with 1/8 mile of occupied dwellings and such without permission. These current regulations are good enough, how many problems do you really have with dogs in snares...? State-wide law shouldn't be created just because of a handful of bird hunters with dogs get upset once and a while. You, as the commission, are supposed to represent the entire state outdoor users, not one specific sub-group. Perhaps hunters need to educate themselves on trapping. Snares are not the enemy...

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 06/03/18 03:04 PM

NonPCfed,
Very well said. Thank you for joining the fight to preserve our trapping and snaring.
Larry
Posted By: walleyed

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 06/04/18 01:49 AM

Originally Posted By: NonPCfed

P.S.S. I think fishers are really cool and catching one is on my bucket list so I checked the northern woods states to see where I might go someday in the future. As of when I checked a couple of years ago, MN was out as a NR unless I owned land, WI has a limited lottery system for fisher so my chances of pulling a tag there would be slim, and MI bans NR trappers from about 20 states, including both Dakotas so it looked like NY might be my best shot. Their laws will probably change in the next 10 years so that will probably be out. Bummer...

I would not worry about New York State DEC restricting non-residents for Fisher.

Our state will give away the farm if they can make a few bucks on a trapping license.

I think you are safe on your bucket list quest.

Come get 'em Brother trappers.

walleyed
Posted By: Hydropillar

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 06/04/18 02:37 AM

NonPCFed,
Thanks for helping,
Larry

where is this meeting at and what time can public comment??

nevermind i found it on first page 2 pm at ramkota.. but need to verify time !

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 06/04/18 04:49 AM

Just what you have been doing on this post lumping all into one looking at the negative and not the positive, threating to not support others, ya that's they way to do it! LOL Seriously

If you guys deserved any support, perhaps you would get it........

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 06/04/18 08:48 AM

if they deserved it they absolutely would get my support. if im not welcome I don't see why my time or money would be either

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 06/04/18 09:07 AM

I'd like to see KS restrict NR from states who impose different regs on NR than resident, limit them to 20 traps and no snares. coyotes taken only in regular fur season and 200 dollar per cat tagging fee along with a furbearer license.

complete restriction on residents of states with no non resident trapping. some of those MN guys don't deserve that but a lot of them do. think they are special. state hop their selves then work to keep the NR ban.

Like I said I would agree to pay more for my resident license if those rules were implemented.
Posted By: 316

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 06/04/18 11:47 AM

I don't see why there is a anti trapping movement it's not needed. We will kill trapping without there help.

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 06/04/18 01:22 PM

If the restrictions placed on Nonresident rat trappers In SD would have been because of a biological reason I could go along with It. But It was nothing but a greed issue.
And for that reason I can't support Any SD trapping Issues and that would go for MN to.

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 06/04/18 01:47 PM

Why the week delay on coons by you then for NR Beav? Why can't a NR trap fox and yotes in NV or Bobcat, Marten, Otter, Fisher in MI, Only yotes in MT is that OK then, it seems to be.

Never heard of a guy that makes augers that can't trap through the ice, SD ice must be tough Rich, this is personal with you it seems, as all SD is bad but you have buddies in MN let that sink in a bit.

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 06/04/18 01:47 PM

I don't see a big deal.If you want to trap there,go live there.

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 06/04/18 01:52 PM

They enjoy complaining about it more then doing any trapping it seems!

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 06/04/18 02:12 PM

complaining?....think not Informing the general trapping public of whos asking for help, and what theyve done to help there fellow trappers out in the past.....YES, as so EVERYONE knows who asking for help....

Oh, and BTW....ran my mouse traps today......

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 06/04/18 02:28 PM

Just for the sake of clarity, non residents can trap coyotes, red fox, and swift fox in NV. Cats and grey fox are off limits.

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 06/04/18 02:31 PM

Here is why so much of this is BS and has been for years.

1. We both agree that it's not the preferred season the way it's set up yet you lump all of us in with the 13 and only negative and childish is accepted. Looking at what's is a available is not allowed and it ruins the narrative for you.

2. While other States have restrictions/limits for NR that is always ignored, again to allow the childish games that some play!

3. Greed is often brought up yet when the rats fell below $5 most interest was lost so does greed apply to both ends then? It always cracked me up that the focus in always on the RATS but never the other critters we have that are quality furs. Some how $75 yotes are unwanted and we don't have take limits for NR either last I checked.

4. My preferred way to trap rats has always been through the ice it's just easier for me, no mud to deal with and no boat needed to get around just a pull sled, auger, spade and traps and your in business. Also I'm chasing K-9s/coons in the fall rats fill in the slow times.

5. Trapping in SD would be like going to Disney World for a kid for many trappers if you don't come then your missing out!

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 06/04/18 02:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Steven 49er
Just for the sake of clarity, non residents can trap coyotes, red fox, and swift fox in NV. Cats and grey fox are off limits.

Still a restriction on NR is my point Steve!

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 06/04/18 02:34 PM

The coon set back was Implemented I think before I was born It was to restrict all the coon Hunters that came up from Illinois. So It just kind of spread over to trapping.

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 06/04/18 02:49 PM

Originally Posted By: The Beav
The coon set back was Implemented I think before I was born It was to restrict all the coon Hunters that came up from Illinois. So It just kind of spread over to trapping.

So how is that any different then? You have the same power to change that as I do to change what we have going on here.

Love to keep playing but just got called into work so you guys keep arguing about who got the red lollypop while I'm gone!
Posted By: FlyinFinn

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 06/04/18 02:52 PM

Doesn't read as tho there is an argument on this thread. Only enlightenment with a sugar dusting of karma.
Posted By: Rat Masterson

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 06/04/18 03:11 PM

No one is arguing there are not exclusionary rules in place in many states, including my own which is the worst of all. SD recently enacted this law, wasn't on the books 50 years ago or 10 years ago, which is also a slap in the face of every trapper in the country. I support open borders for trappers and an equal playing field but it's seems it's much more difficult to get a rule change than to create one. My belief is in 15 years or so most of the anti NRs in this state will be dead and NRs will be welcome. The big question is will we have any trapping at all as we stand alone.
Posted By: elkaholic

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 06/04/18 03:25 PM

Jerry, I don't think the argument is so much over the limiting of trapping rights by other states. It's more the fact that there are factions of trappers in the 2 biggest states for this (MN,SD) that are actively trying to keep out others. Yet all the while they're travelling to other states to trap.

Why would I send money to help fight anti's in either of those 2 states when it is quite apparent they don't want me to come trap there?

For the record I have no problem with a state limiting takes on certain species if the reason is for sound biological reasons.

You can come to PA and trap exactly what I do, when I do. I'm not sure about the use of CR's. I don't know if you'd be required to take the course, or if they'll accept a course from another state.

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 06/04/18 03:40 PM

Changing something that has been in the books for decades and implementing a new law because of pure greed are two very different things. Minnesotians should never been allowed to trap there but other states with true NR trapping got the shaft because of one reason. Don’t matter much anymore I suppose as fur trapping for actual profit is about over. Maybe someday I can go back to South Dakota and kill rats for the highway department. That would be fun grin Do hope you guys don’t lose snaring. State by state as everyone becomes more urban and trappers die off regulations taking things away are going to I’m afraid become the norm

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 06/04/18 05:30 PM

For the good of trapping,I think a fight against a common enemy like the anti's should take precedence over a border dispute between trappers.If they go down,then trapping will be gone forever for everyone in that state,and the antis will pick of others one by one.
If out of staters step up to the plate and be the "bigger men" then this commitment to helping out the state under the gun may do a lot down the road to help with the non resident issue,not to mention show a united front in the face of adversity.
Posted By: hippie

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 06/04/18 06:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Boco
For the good of trapping,I think a fight against a common enemy like the anti's should take precedence over a border dispute between trappers.If they go down,then trapping will be gone forever for everyone in that state,and the antis will pick of others one by one.
If out of staters step up to the plate and be the "bigger men" then this commitment to helping out the state under the gun may do a lot down the road to help with the non resident issue,not to mention show a united front in the face of adversity.

We do step up for other states, watch the auctions and fund raisers here.

The worst part is, trappers have been successful reducing other trappers freedoms where the anti's have failed. We're our own worst enemy.
Posted By: wetdog

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 06/04/18 06:18 PM

Boco is right. Divided we fall. So what if we can't trap there the whole season. If we don't stick together, they will stick it to all of us.
The rest of the country is divided, let's not be part of that mess.
United we stand divided we fall.
More than just a cute little saying.
I know it probably will mean little but
Email sent
Good luck guys.

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 06/04/18 09:24 PM

Why the week delay on coons by you then for NR Beav? Why can't a NR trap fox and yotes in NV or Bobcat, Marten, Otter, Fisher in MI, Only yotes in MT is that OK then, it seems to be.

Never heard of a guy that makes augers that can't trap through the ice, SD ice must be tough Rich, this is personal with you it seems, as all SD is bad but you have buddies in MN let that sink in a bit.

Good job!........your doing a great job of (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman)ing in the wind!

Every time you post, with your belittling and mocking of anyone that points out the truth and history of the matter, you are continueing on the work started by your own gang of 13, in alienating more and more people from your original cause.....no need for me to even comment

May I suggest checking the wind first, or investing in a good umbrella.....

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 06/04/18 09:45 PM

Who ever said that stuff was ok? I didn't send MT any money. I did ask if I was still restricted there.
Posted By: Staner

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations - 06/09/18 12:14 AM

Hey Larry... was anything decided on the snaring issue at the meeting? Thanks.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums