Home

Prairie Dog hunting reasonable

Posted By: Law Dog

Prairie Dog hunting reasonable - 06/03/18 01:41 PM

Buddy (Badger guy) has a huge pasture full of dogs and takes hunters in at a reasonable price for the day, located in central SD just off of I-90 a few miles so no need to go further West to find dogs. You guys want a go at some dogs here is your chance.

Need any other info let me know I will get back to you ASAP spraying weeds today if the wind stays down.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=...e=3&theater
Posted By: Tweed

Re: Prairie Dog hunting reasonable - 06/03/18 01:48 PM

People pay to shoot them? Always figured they were varmints and people would be paid to shoot em.

Re: Prairie Dog hunting reasonable - 06/03/18 02:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Tweed
People pay to shoot them? Always figured they were varmints and people would be paid to shoot em.

Some places get $150 a day or more to shoot them out West the days of free bird/p-dog hunting are long gone in many places!
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Prairie Dog hunting reasonable - 06/03/18 02:14 PM

South of Pierre, SoDak on the National Grasslands, I believe a person can shoot them for nothing.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Prairie Dog hunting reasonable - 06/03/18 02:50 PM

I'd shoot them if I got paid 150 a day. I realize that is still doing a landowner a favor what with the expense of rifles and ammo but why get greedy?
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Prairie Dog hunting reasonable - 06/03/18 03:11 PM

Killed a few dogs In Wyoming never had to pay to play.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Prairie Dog hunting reasonable - 06/03/18 03:47 PM

The reservation charges for hunts too, old mn classmates used to go to reservation to shoot them
Posted By: hippie

Re: Prairie Dog hunting reasonable - 06/03/18 04:22 PM

Thatnks Lawdog, i'm looking for next summer because my travel vehicle isn't quite done yet.

I'll check with ya next year.
Posted By: bbasher

Re: Prairie Dog hunting reasonable - 06/03/18 05:13 PM

What's next? Guided coyote hunts? Ridiculous!
Posted By: Turd Furgeson

Re: Prairie Dog hunting reasonable - 06/03/18 05:56 PM

Guided coyote hunts are already getting pretty popular, also ran into some ground being leased up for coyote hunting. Going to be tough hunting for future generations not born with land.
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: Prairie Dog hunting reasonable - 06/03/18 07:01 PM

The Pheasant lodges are leasing up a lot of dog towns. Lost a couple this year but found another ranch with a small town and some walk-in with a big town. I would not be opposed to paying a rancher, some could use a little cash.

Re: Prairie Dog hunting reasonable - 06/03/18 07:25 PM

I believe in another hundred years there will be no trapping hunting fishing or gun ownership in the U.S. other than for a privileged few. We will look a lot like Great Briton. So if your out calling coyotes, hunting deer or shooting prairie dogs, wandering around in and camping in some still wild place, without paying a trespass fee or needing to get permission, enjoy every second. Its going up in smoke and its a real shame.

Re: Prairie Dog hunting reasonable - 06/03/18 07:30 PM

IT's not going to happen In 100 years either. It's going to be a lot sooner.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Prairie Dog hunting reasonable - 06/03/18 07:41 PM

On one hand , farmers are crying and sniveling about how much damage is done to those poor folks by wild hogs. Ya offer to shoot a few of them and all over sudden they want money for doing just that. On public land the DNR is going on about how much damage those critters do .... but only allow you to hunt them during deer and turkey season.
It may just be me, but something is not right about that picture. I'll go along and shoot my deer and hogs during their seasons on public land but if a farmer cries about the damage. That is self inflicted in my book. So no I do not feel sorry for them and they deserve every hog they have on their land.
Posted By: jeremiah52

Re: Prairie Dog hunting reasonable - 06/03/18 07:45 PM

I am betting you could go to western South Dakota (Susan Henderson) ranch and be welcomed to shoot all you can. Edgemont/Provo area
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Prairie Dog hunting reasonable - 06/03/18 07:50 PM

I believe pay to hunt will b the death of hunting as a lot of young people won't get into hunting because it incurrs a fee. A lot of us wouldn't have got into hunting and trapping if we would have had to pay to hunt or trap when we got started. When hunting goes gun rights will too. But I can understand why landowners are willing to make some extra cash of they can. When hunting becomes a business the attitude of those involved in it change to sometimes.

Re: Prairie Dog hunting reasonable - 06/03/18 09:21 PM

I know guys guided coyote hunts 25+ years ago
Posted By: handitrapper

Re: Prairie Dog hunting reasonable - 06/03/18 09:36 PM

I’ve been shooting prairie dogs in South Dakota for 33 years now. Sometimes 2-3 times per year. And have never been charged one cent. Headed out August 2, for 7 days of shooting.

Re: Prairie Dog hunting reasonable - 06/03/18 09:55 PM

Take Hippie with you Brian. If I can go maybe I'll cancel my trip to Alaska.LOL

Re: Prairie Dog hunting reasonable - 06/03/18 10:06 PM

Go or don't go it's up to you, a few guys ask every year so here ya go it's a place if you don't have one in central SD! I bet if them guys ask for a free place everyone here will tell them where their spots are just like fishing! LOL
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Prairie Dog hunting reasonable - 06/03/18 10:10 PM

Ur thread got hijacked Law Dog and I apologize for it

Re: Prairie Dog hunting reasonable - 06/03/18 10:15 PM

No problem! LOL No good deed goes unpunished! wink
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Prairie Dog hunting reasonable - 06/03/18 10:33 PM

https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/dpg/recreation/hunting/?recid=79451&actid=55
Posted By: handitrapper

Re: Prairie Dog hunting reasonable - 06/03/18 10:39 PM

Originally Posted By: The Beav
Take Hippie with you Brian. If I can go maybe I'll cancel my trip to Alaska.LOL

You’re nuts! I would never pass on a trip to Alaska for prairie dogs. Besides, I don’t think I could handle you for that long.

Re: Prairie Dog hunting reasonable - 06/03/18 10:56 PM

Heres a hint I oughta not post but you can find prairie dog towns on google earth. Just look for lots of dirt colored circles.

this one is in CO

Re: Prairie Dog hunting reasonable - 06/03/18 11:28 PM

No Danny I was looking for the landowners name, address, phone number, GPS location and number of unmarried daughters! LOL

Re: Prairie Dog hunting reasonable - 06/04/18 12:30 AM

Uh oh you in trouble buddy lol
Posted By: Tweed

Re: Prairie Dog hunting reasonable - 06/04/18 12:42 AM

Originally Posted By: BadgerTrapper97
I can’t believe people pay money to shoot pests, When I was a kid growing up in North Dakota (not long ago) a local rancher used to give us a brick of .22’s every time we came out to shoot gophers in his pasture, also used to get paid $2 to trap pocket gophers. Guided coyote hunts??? Big hunting leases and paying to hunt will turn hunting into a rich mans pastime like in europe.

Exactly
Posted By: coloradocat

Re: Prairie Dog hunting reasonable - 06/05/18 02:48 AM

Selling critters is easy in the west. 10 grand elk and mule deer, 5 grand lions, 750 bucks for a Merriam turkey, $150 a day for "dogs". I don't see any problem with it. I smell money!!!!!!!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums