Home

Handheld GPS suggestions

Posted By: Ditchdiver

Handheld GPS suggestions - 06/04/18 03:44 PM

Looking into getting a handheld GPS for trapping. I want it mainly for marking my set locations on my river line, but will use it for land sets too. I'm not in dense cover or mountains, pretty much open farm land here, so signal should be easy to get. I don't need "top of the line" but want something reliable that will hold a charge. I hope to stay around $150-$200. Any advice is appreciated.
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: Handheld GPS suggestions - 06/04/18 04:38 PM

Garmin brand for sure. I have the Oregon and right after I bought it they released the larger Montana. Bigger screen is better. If you can swing it buy a new Montana. Or look for a used Oregon or Montana. Want to buy my Oregon?

Get rechargeable batteries from sams club.
Posted By: rpmartin

Re: Handheld GPS suggestions - 06/04/18 05:17 PM

I will 2nd a garmin.
Posted By: Raizmup

Re: Handheld GPS suggestions - 06/04/18 05:43 PM

I use a Garmin 64s. Lithium batteries will double your run time. I also use a OnXMaps chip for whatever state your in. It will give you property boundaries and names of property owners.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Handheld GPS suggestions - 06/04/18 06:01 PM

I went with the Garmin Dakota 20 a few years ago

the biggest selling point for Grmin was that while others will save a location , Garmin seemed to have the best map software and way to upload and down load saved points so that you can plot your line and save year to year.

typically when it said I was on the location I was within about 5 feet
© 2024 Trapperman Forums