Home

Montgomery Step Ins

Posted By: Taximan

Montgomery Step Ins - 06/06/18 01:52 AM

This Montgomery is in good shape but I can't read the pan.It has an outside jaw spread of 6 1/2".Is this a number 4?
Posted By: Zim

Re: Montgomery Step Ins - 06/06/18 02:06 AM

I believe so, have a couple in a bin out in the garage but am to lazy to dig them out. There is one in a lot worse shape than the one you show on E-Bay for sale for $35.95 shocked

Zim
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: Montgomery Step Ins - 06/06/18 02:08 AM

Yes that should be right, #4 I got 2 of them . Some where lol

Re: Montgomery Step Ins - 06/06/18 02:17 AM

Thanks guys.I know what you mean,Beartooth.I just unearthed this one in a garage cleanup.I estimate it's been there for over 20 years.
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: Montgomery Step Ins - 06/06/18 04:49 AM

Oh my taxi I need to find them 2 I got, haven't seen then now for 4-5 years now. Think I'll get them ready for fall.
Posted By: micheal

Re: Montgomery Step Ins - 06/06/18 10:06 AM

old stock-what are they worth
Posted By: red mt

Re: Montgomery Step Ins - 06/06/18 02:03 PM

Originally Posted By: micheal
old stock-what are they worth

Are they low lever or high lever?

Re: Montgomery Step Ins - 06/06/18 02:21 PM

I'm not that familiar with them Red,but I'd guess,low.I'll get a picture up later.
Posted By: MChewk

Re: Montgomery Step Ins - 06/06/18 03:09 PM

Guys I remember the #4 being 6 1/2" on the INSIDE....might be a #3

Re: Montgomery Step Ins - 06/06/18 03:14 PM

Low lever?
Posted By: J.Morse

Re: Montgomery Step Ins - 06/06/18 04:25 PM

The glare sucks, but you can still make out the measurement.....this is a #3. Taximan's is a #4.

Re: Montgomery Step Ins - 06/06/18 04:53 PM

Thanks J.Morse.I figured there would be about 1/2" between sizes.In the days when the Montgomerys were made, those were pretty typical dimensions for 3's and 4's.That has changed some,in recent years and it gets confusing.I think most #3 longsprings were typically 5 1/2" and #4 longsprings were 6".Also,listed jaw spreads were outside measurements.That has changed some in recent times and also confuses things.

A few small changes would make this a pretty good coyote trap.The pan tension isn't bad,as it is.Four coiling would make it even better and I believe the levers could be made to rise higher.The metal in those Montgomerys could be brittle so you have to be careful if you bend the jaw tips.The swivels could be better and can be brittle too.
Posted By: ETexTrapper

Re: Montgomery Step Ins - 06/06/18 05:29 PM

Taxi #3 Bridger levers will fit those Montys to make them high lever traps.

Re: Montgomery Step Ins - 06/06/18 05:57 PM

Thanks,Etex.
Posted By: Nick C

Re: Montgomery Step Ins - 06/06/18 06:12 PM

Yes that’s a low lever. The low levers had the 90° corners on the pan. High Levers have the angled cut pans.

Montana levers are a better fit than bridger levers in the ones I’ve converted.

Cut the crossframe and weld back together when you get the levers switched, baseplate to strengthen it all and you’re good to go.
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Montgomery Step Ins - 06/06/18 09:01 PM

Jim, I've just cut the levers out, and heat and roll the inside edge. Cut a washer in half and weld to the top of the lever to have enough to get ahold of to set the trap. I did that to all my old montys and they lock up super, just fit them to the flats above the taper on the jaws!

Re: Montgomery Step Ins - 06/07/18 04:04 PM

Thanks Lee.Looking at them,I thought that might be a plan.
Posted By: tjm

Re: Montgomery Step Ins - 06/07/18 05:25 PM

Originally Posted By: lee steinmeyer
Jim, I've just cut the levers out, and heat and roll the inside edge. Cut a washer in half and weld to the top of the lever to have enough to get ahold of to set the trap. I did that to all my old montys and they lock up super, just fit them to the flats above the taper on the jaws!
I did almost the same thing to my Victor low levers after changing the jaws from square to round.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums