Home

Hot weather work pants?

Posted By: Tim H.

Hot weather work pants? - 06/10/18 02:59 PM

What do y'all use? I just moved down to Wilmington NC and the heat is KILLING ME! I'm hoping to find something lightweight (even if I have to sacrifice some durability) that doesn't hold the sweat like jeans or Carharrtts.
Tim
Posted By: harrison72

Re: Hot weather work pants? - 06/10/18 03:08 PM

I wear Dickies carpenter style. There are 2 different thicknesses, get the light weight. Best bet is buying them in the fall/winter and they are half worn out by hot weather.

PS.
There should be a national working man's Holliday for whoever invented Gold Bond Powder!
Posted By: Marty

Re: Hot weather work pants? - 06/10/18 03:13 PM

Kilt and knee pads.....jock if its windy.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Hot weather work pants? - 06/10/18 03:28 PM

BDU fatigues best thing going!
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Hot weather work pants? - 06/10/18 03:28 PM

Propper BDU pants , ripstop cotton

Re: Hot weather work pants? - 06/10/18 04:18 PM

I wear acu combat pants when its hot....knee pad pockets with knee pads in them. Long top/bottom polartec powderdry base layers.

The base layers and most of my clothes get soaked with sweat pretty fast. But that's OK....water soaked clothes are more thermally conductive than dry clothes thus they wick away body heat from your skin. Just like swimming in water keeps you cooler than walking. Wet cotton is bad if its cold out but good if its hot out.

Gold Bond Body powder every morning and after shower in evening thru the whole summer.
Posted By: wy.wolfer

Re: Hot weather work pants? - 06/10/18 04:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Law Dog
BDU fatigues best thing going!
Go Commando, then you can throw a little water on them and cool down fast as well as dry out fast.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Hot weather work pants? - 06/10/18 04:42 PM

Tru-spec 24/7 ripstop.
Posted By: Riverotter2

Re: Hot weather work pants? - 06/10/18 04:44 PM

If you find something that cool in the deep south in summer let the rest of us down here know, lol.
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: Hot weather work pants? - 06/10/18 04:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Marty
The base layers and most of my clothes get soaked with sweat pretty fast. But that's OK....water soaked clothes are more thermally conductive than dry clothes thus they wick away body heat from your skin. Just like swimming in water keeps you cooler than walking. Wet cotton is bad if its cold out but good if its hot out.

In my experience Marty is right on...

We've all been told forever to wear "loose" clothing. That is a misnomer... You don't want CONSTRICTIVE clothing. But fabrics should ride close enough to the skin to be wetted by wicking sweat from it. Once the clothing is soaked, the slightest breeze feels amazing.

I also have had good luck with the little cooling wraps with the beads in them that swell and get cold when placed in water... I tie them around my neck. It keeps the direct sunlight off the skin of my neck (major arteries and vessels in the neck) and helps cool all the blood flowing through that area.

Long sleeve shirts seem to be the opposite of what you'd want... But again, when you get hot your blood vessels dilate and are closer to the skin. Long sleeves keep the sun off your skin. And if they ride on the skin they have the added benefit of being wetted by the sweat they wick up.

Working in the heat indoors can change things up. No sun beating down, but usually no air moving either. In that case a fan is about the most effective thing going.

Mike

Re: Hot weather work pants? - 06/10/18 05:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Marty
Kilt and knee pads.....jock if its windy.

I was leaning towards a loin cloth myself.

Re: Hot weather work pants? - 06/10/18 05:12 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone.
My new job will have me working in an air conditioned shop 30% of the time, but I want to stay comfortable the other 70%!
Posted By: hippie

Re: Hot weather work pants? - 06/10/18 05:23 PM

Dickies
Posted By: tjm

Re: Hot weather work pants? - 06/10/18 05:28 PM

Style is not so important as fabric, natural fabrics are inherently cooler and breath better than any synthetic. Cotton and linen top the list of cool fabrics, but even light wool is cooler than poly-fabrics.
I find cotton khaki pants to be choice for work. Cotton flannel shirts will keep you as cool as any thing, they are much better at cooling than at keeping you warm. Transient laborers from sunny Mexico go farther by wearing white cotton t-shirts under the long sleeved shirt.
Drink lots of water, it will take lots of perspiration to stay cool.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Hot weather work pants? - 06/10/18 05:29 PM

Watch the cheaper BDUs a lot of times the waist adjustments won't hold they like the should they act like a after thought or prop, the USGI ones are the best ones I have found.
Posted By: the wife

Re: Hot weather work pants? - 06/10/18 08:26 PM

I prefer a skirt when it's hot and sticky grin, hubbs wears the green dickies work pants
Posted By: charles

Re: Hot weather work pants? - 06/10/18 08:50 PM

I wear cotton khaki pants year round. Just dont work very hard and you can stay comfortable. Oh, I am retired.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Hot weather work pants? - 06/10/18 09:18 PM

I wore painters pants or carpenter style jeans, and would go down to a uniform rental place and buy returns for really nasty jobs and just pitch them after. My Bro was a flat roofer and when his would get too heavy with tar, he'd just throw them in the kettle and wear another set. LOL

Re: Hot weather work pants? - 06/10/18 09:28 PM

This is the top I use for base layer in the heat. I also use the same for a long bottom and boxers of the same material. Really no issues with swamp butt or rashes if I use Gold Bond regularly. You can find these on ebay for around $10 a piece.
Makes working in the heat and being wet more bearable. I wear them everyday.

Posted By: trapperkeck

Re: Hot weather work pants? - 06/10/18 10:07 PM

I moved North. I couldn't take the heat anymore.
Posted By: RM trapper

Re: Hot weather work pants? - 06/10/18 10:28 PM

I'm having the same problem, I've been climbing trees with shorts on because I can't stand the heat. If it gets above 75 degrees I hate it. Luckily in the mountains it doesn't get above that to many days. I'm going to try some of these suggestions
Posted By: mike mason

Re: Hot weather work pants? - 06/11/18 12:01 AM

I wear popin coveralls and they hang on you and you stay cool.
Posted By: Jason Turner

Re: Hot weather work pants? - 06/11/18 12:04 AM

Wearing Propper summer-weight ripstop tac pants this year (poly/spandex). They are super light, dry fast after soaking through them, and are tough. Wear some poly undies and you’ll stay drier than anything w/ cotton. You WILL soak em but they dry quicker. I rarely ever wear denim anymore and if I do, it’s for doing non-work activities. It’s just soooo hot I can’t stand it.
Posted By: varmintshooter

Re: Hot weather work pants? - 06/11/18 09:18 AM

Start early and quit by two. Even a bathing suit is hot by two.
Posted By: RdFx

Re: Hot weather work pants? - 06/11/18 09:46 AM

Just a note, ladies wear pants, men wear trousers.....
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Hot weather work pants? - 06/11/18 09:49 AM

modern semis have good a/c. I stay in a/c till it get gets dark during summer in ks 90% of the time. put me in the group that spends summers waiting on winter to come back

Re: Hot weather work pants? - 06/11/18 12:32 PM

Originally Posted By: RM trapper
I'm having the same problem, I've been climbing trees with shorts on because I can't stand the heat. If it gets above 75 degrees I hate it. Luckily in the mountains it doesn't get above that to many days. I'm going to try some of these suggestions

Wow.

It was 77° when I left the house at 5:30 this morning.

Mike

Re: Hot weather work pants? - 06/11/18 11:44 PM

I recently picked up a pair of the hickory stripe bib overalls for work...

You look like you should be in the cab of a steam locomotive but they're much cooler than denim or duck material... Softer too.

Mike
Posted By: Jason Turner

Re: Hot weather work pants? - 06/12/18 12:34 AM

I don't wear pants then. I wear trousers. Lol
© 2024 Trapperman Forums