Home

Ticks in your area?

Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Ticks in your area? - 06/12/18 03:58 PM

Not sure if this is a local thing but it seems like all the ticks I've seen this spring so far have been Lonestar ticks.
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: Ticks in your area? - 06/12/18 04:24 PM

I've see 2,took them off neighbors cat,I'm n.w.of Columbus 60 miles
Posted By: tjm

Re: Ticks in your area? - 06/12/18 04:36 PM

depending on which authority we have about 5 different species here and getting 20-30 ticks a day is not at all uncommon, at this time of year the Lonestars do seem more common but as summer progresses they will all make an appearance, maybe get all 5 in one day.
Posted By: madcotrappwr

Re: Ticks in your area? - 06/12/18 05:37 PM

Picked 4 off back in mushroom season. Picked one off the other day after mowing. I walked a creek looking for arrowheads Sunday. I was in and out of the creek in tall grass. Didn't notice one all day. I consider this not to bad yet.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Ticks in your area? - 06/12/18 06:41 PM

So far, this year there has been only a small fraction of the normal amount of ticks on my farm. Diane had 1 tick stuck in her hairline and one crawling on her leg. I pulled 4 off an outside cat's ears and 1 off of one of my dog's neck. I have not found a single tick on me. This is the first time, I have not had a tick by this late in the year. They were all dog ticks.

The deerfly have been terrible this year.

Keith
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Ticks in your area? - 06/12/18 07:22 PM

Thick here all sizes and shapes this year I don't notice them around the house much chickens get most of them, neighbor has been trapping skunks at his house so I go over there to help out and find several when I get back home!
Posted By: Broomchaser

Re: Ticks in your area? - 06/12/18 08:36 PM

Spray every day. Still get a few hitch hikers. Thick here.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Ticks in your area? - 06/12/18 08:45 PM

None here.

Re: Ticks in your area? - 06/12/18 09:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Boco
None here.

If y'all had ticks they'd be the size of grapes before feeding.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Ticks in your area? - 06/12/18 09:54 PM

plenty here and even have 3 flavors
Posted By: snowy

Re: Ticks in your area? - 06/12/18 10:33 PM

Ticks are Have good numbers this year. Usually as the summer enters July they seem to go away and in Aug. they seem to have disappeared all together.
Posted By: Brushblend

Re: Ticks in your area? - 06/12/18 10:43 PM

We never had ticks in North east Saskatchewan until about three years ago. Now they are common, mostly deer ticks. They are disgusting things! Can't wait til fall and winter!
Posted By: iowayote

Re: Ticks in your area? - 06/12/18 10:46 PM

Thick here. Found 16 on my clothing after a short mushroom hunt. None stuck on me though.
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Ticks in your area? - 06/13/18 12:19 AM

been fencing here and pick wood ticks every night.
Posted By: RdFx

Re: Ticks in your area? - 06/13/18 10:11 AM

Here around Loretta and Draper WI., north central WI, got one so far this year. This after three days of walking brush and trout fishing....permethrin sprayed on clothing plus Dettol on hat which kept blackflies at a distance....
Posted By: trapete

Re: Ticks in your area? - 06/13/18 11:40 AM

Lots in my area
Posted By: Tommie

Re: Ticks in your area? - 06/13/18 01:44 PM

Seen on the news that alot of people are being put in the hospital this year from tick born illnesses around here
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Ticks in your area? - 06/13/18 01:57 PM

3 ticks this season so far
Posted By: grapestomper

Re: Ticks in your area? - 06/13/18 02:03 PM

Not very many this year. Usually it is thick with them.
Posted By: Northmocats

Re: Ticks in your area? - 06/13/18 02:17 PM

The Ticks are Terrible around here this year... There is also a New Tick disease been discovered by the cdc last year here in Missouri. Along with Lymes and the Meat allergy disease.
I try and stay out of the brush during the summer if I can.
Posted By: madcotrappwr

Re: Ticks in your area? - 06/13/18 05:26 PM

Originally Posted By: KeithC
So far, this year there has been only a small fraction of the normal amount of ticks on my farm. Diane had 1 tick stuck in her hairline and one crawling on her leg. I pulled 4 off an outside cat's ears and 1 off of one of my dog's neck. I have not found a single tick on me. This is the first time, I have not had a tick by this late in the year. They were all dog ticks.

The deerfly have been terrible this year.

Keith

We didn't have tics here when I was a kid. We would go to family in Kentucky and pick them off all day long. Seems like they showed up in the 90s.

Re: Ticks in your area? - 06/13/18 06:13 PM

Wonder how much of that was due to DDT.
Posted By: Ray B

Re: Ticks in your area? - 06/13/18 06:37 PM

First Longhorned tick discovered in Arkansas

http://katv.com/news/local/longhorned-tick-discovered-in-arkansas

LITTLE ROCK (KATV) — The Department of Agriculture has confirmed that a Longhorned tick was found in Arkansas, making it the fourth state to be spotted in within the United States .

The identity of the tick was confirmed at the National Veterinary Services Laboratory, where it was sent in from a dog in Benton County through a research project at Oklahoma State University.

The Longhorned tick, an exotic East Asian tick, is considered to be a serious threat to livestock by the USDA, possibly causing stunted growth , decreased production, and death.

The tick has been known to infest a wide range of species and has the potential to infect a variety of North American wildlife species, humans, dogs, cats, and livestock.

In other parts of the world, the longhorned tick, or Haemaphysalis longicornis, is associated with bacterial and viral tickborne diseases of animals and humans.

Similar to deer ticks, the nymph of the longhorn tick is very small, making it harder to spot and allowing it to go unnoticed on animals and people.

The first confirmed presence of the longhorn tick in the United States was discovered in New Jersey in November of 2017, followed by Virginia and West Virginia.

The cases in Arkansas, West Virginia, Virginia, and New Jersey are not believed to be connected, according to the USDA.

State Veterinarian Dr. Brandon Doss released this statement following the discovery of the Longhorned tick in Arkansas:

Livestock producers, animal owners and veterinarians should notify the Arkansas Agriculture Department or USDA APHIS if they notice any unusual ticks, or ticks that occur in large numbers on an individual animal. We encourage livestock producers to work with their veterinarians to develop a tick prevention and control program.

To protect you, your family, and your pets from ticks you should always wear approved repellents, perform regular tick checks, and tuck in loose clothing.
Posted By: Redeyesheds

Re: Ticks in your area? - 06/13/18 10:25 PM

Nd is full of them..
Posted By: nyrat

Re: Ticks in your area? - 06/13/18 11:11 PM

these little sob mite kill off the human race if there go on checked
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Ticks in your area? - 06/14/18 01:31 AM

none so far this year last couple years 2 or 3 per day during spring
Posted By: newfox1

Re: Ticks in your area? - 06/14/18 11:16 AM

My wife bought this gadget at Walmart called the tick tornado for removing ticks,tried it a few days ago and it worked real good.
Posted By: Macthediver

Re: Ticks in your area? - 06/14/18 04:40 PM

I can say I think there are less in my yard this years so far. Based on what I've taken off my self and the dogs since snow is gone. But I've been spraying with the permethirn. So no idea what there like in the woods right now. Did take this one off me while splitting wood in yard Tuesday. Little stinker!

Mac
© 2024 Trapperman Forums