Home

Loaded for Bear

Posted By: EdP

Loaded for Bear - 06/13/18 11:12 AM

Black bears are becoming a problem on the AT in these parts. I have pistols suitable for bear defense if necessary, the problem I have is how to carry. Where/how do you carry a pistol while wearing a backpack with waist belt and shoulder straps?

I remember an account of a (Alaskan I think) guide carrying out a load of meat when a brownie took a swipe at him. He ducked, the bear hit the backpack knocking him down, but he pulled and fired his revolver ultimately killing the bear. Again, backpack shoulder straps, waist belt to shift weight to the hips, so where was the revolver carried?
Posted By: luvcanids

Re: Loaded for Bear - 06/13/18 11:22 AM

The waist belt on my old external frame allows a cross draw holster to be attached.
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: Loaded for Bear - 06/13/18 11:51 AM

Chest rig
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Loaded for Bear - 06/13/18 02:10 PM

Shoulder, chest and practice... practice
Posted By: 160user

Re: Loaded for Bear - 06/13/18 02:18 PM

12 gauge slug gun!
Posted By: nightlife

Re: Loaded for Bear - 06/13/18 03:30 PM

Put on your pack and th n see which area is easyist to reach then look at ways to carry your pistol there

For me that worked out to be just to the right of my belly button, not at the waist but up higher with the but almost horizontal so I put a strap between the pack straps at th right height and that is where I put my holster

A friend just gave me a strap that fastens to your belt kind of like a Sam brown belt to put my holster on it puts the house later in a slightly different spot but I think it will work out a bit better
Posted By: Aaron Proffitt

Re: Loaded for Bear - 06/13/18 05:24 PM

Originally Posted By: the Blak Spot
Chest rig

Exactly
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Loaded for Bear - 06/13/18 07:38 PM

I always put mine on the LH shoulder strap in front.
Posted By: Davexx1

Re: Loaded for Bear - 06/13/18 10:20 PM

Check out Pistolpackaging.com belt and holster options. Maybe they have something that would work for you. I carry a 14" 7x30 Contender in one of their shoulder belt/holster combinations.

http://www.pistolpackaging.com/Bandito_Shoulder_Belt_p/bsb.htm

Dave
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Loaded for Bear - 06/14/18 02:10 AM

if I was worried about bears it'd be in my hand
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Loaded for Bear - 06/14/18 11:31 AM

Originally Posted By: Aaron Proffitt
Chest rig

Exactly

x3...that's how my .41 mag rode all those yrs guiding in Idaho.
Posted By: wyote

Re: Loaded for Bear - 06/14/18 12:03 PM

Chest rig

X4
© 2024 Trapperman Forums