Home

MB 650 trouble

Posted By: Jamie Wargo

MB 650 trouble - 06/13/18 01:00 PM

Newb here. Purchased a doz mb650 this year. I’m having a hard time setting them. Used the trap setter sold on F&T - didn’t seem to allow the jaws to open completely. Bought the one hand setters - they do a much better job. However the pan will not latch onto the setting mechanism. I did use Seldom’s washer trick to take the play out of it. Also loosened the pan screw a bit, but not til free fall. Granted, I’m a little intimidated by the trap, but I can’t see what I’m missing. The night latch on the pan will not reach the setting mechanism. I removed the washer that Seldom recommended but that didn’t help. Any ideas?
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: MB 650 trouble - 06/13/18 01:42 PM

Make sure the "dog" is squared. Some of them aren't quite 90*
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: MB 650 trouble - 06/13/18 02:28 PM

Call MTP they will get you straight!

Re: MB 650 trouble - 06/13/18 05:16 PM

I think I may have got it. Wasn’t getting the jaws to spread wide enough - even with the setters. So if I have three hands, and a one-hand setter, I should be good to go. I haven’t dipped them or anything yet. Just sprayed some vinegar on them to rust em up a bit. Hopefully they loosen up a bit. Getting 3-3&1/2 pounds pan tension as is. ( with the pan bolt loose enough to free fall). Anyone else have trouble or do I need to get used to them?

And mjh, I bought a doz jrs at the same time. Wish I would’ve bought a second set instead. May try to trade them.
Posted By: Matt28

Re: MB 650 trouble - 06/13/18 05:23 PM

I have no trouble with mine.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: MB 650 trouble - 06/13/18 05:31 PM

Them one hand setters are the cats meow on my Sterlings must be a human effort issue is my guess. A guy needs to sit a look at what he's working with to begin to understand it, heck it took me some time to start using my setters myself! LOL
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: MB 650 trouble - 06/13/18 05:42 PM

Did you degrease them first?
Posted By: Osky

Re: MB 650 trouble - 06/13/18 08:46 PM

It's obvious you have some of the old stock traps on the outdated recall. Check the serial number on each trap and see if it starts with o s. If they don't have serial numbers then you certainly do have the recalls.

Shame If so. You can sell them maybe for parts, and heck I could use some parts so this one time I could help you out for 11 no 12 dollars apiece but you'd have to pay the shipping. Happy to help.

Osky
Posted By: AJE

Re: MB 650 trouble - 06/14/18 02:30 AM

Hard to say. I've found the 650's to be consistent and excellent.
Posted By: Taximan

Re: MB 650 trouble - 06/14/18 03:14 AM

There is supposed to be a little tension on the jaws.When the setters are engaged,attach the safety hook to hold them.Then you have two hands to depress the jaws and engage the notch and pan.
Posted By: Calvin

Re: MB 650 trouble - 06/14/18 05:26 AM

Originally Posted By: AJE
Hard to say. I've found the 650's to be consistent and excellent.

Agreed.

And I don't get the setter thing. Step on them.
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: MB 650 trouble - 06/14/18 10:09 AM

Tried a few when they first came out...wasn't a bit impressed...sold them.
Posted By: possum5676

Re: MB 650 trouble - 06/14/18 10:18 AM

I traded mine to Danny Clifton at the National at Hutchinson several years ago. Brand new. We were both happy.

Re: MB 650 trouble - 06/14/18 03:30 PM

I tried them when they first came out and they are still catching stuff.The springs are still strong and non have needed repair.Tough traps.How long have they been on the market?15 years?

Re: MB 650 trouble - 06/14/18 04:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Osky
It's obvious you have some of the old stock traps on the outdated recall. Check the serial number on each trap and see if it starts with o s. If they don't have serial numbers then you certainly do have the recalls.

Shame If so. You can sell them maybe for parts, and heck I could use some parts so this one time I could help you out for 11 no 12 dollars apiece but you'd have to pay the shipping. Happy to help.

Osky
Originally Posted By: Osky

Osky

Where would a serial number be? I don’t see one.

Re: MB 650 trouble - 06/14/18 06:35 PM

He's pulling your leg.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: MB 650 trouble - 06/14/18 10:27 PM

they still catch fur too possum.
Posted By: Redeyesheds

Re: MB 650 trouble - 06/15/18 02:32 AM

One heck of a coyote trap, I also set them for beaver you'll get use to setting them, I had to clean the night latch out a little on my last dozen of 650cast my IL I ordered came ready... The factory recall guy is BSn you, I raise the bid to 13$ if your taken him seriously...

Re: MB 650 trouble - 06/15/18 12:31 PM

He’s definitely paying the shipping after messing with me. Jk. I can get most of them set now. Think a few are just real stiff. Thought that the one hand setters would open them far enough to reach the night latch, but they don’t.
Posted By: red mt

Re: MB 650 trouble - 06/15/18 01:26 PM

Does the tab or jaw hold down that is on the jaw rubbing or hitting the hitting something on the way down.
If so sand or buff that part and problem solved.
Posted By: AJE

Re: MB 650 trouble - 06/16/18 03:23 AM

The 650s were a very popular wolf trap when Wi had 3 wolf seasons a few years ago.

I didn't hear of folks having trouble with them.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums