Home

My bait tank

Posted By: Cougarw

My bait tank - 06/13/18 02:53 PM

Just thought I'd show you my bait tank since I've seen posts before on how to make one.
Under the 5 gal bucket is a 40 foot well caseing that I washed in. I dropped an 820 gph bilge pump in there about 10' down. In the black tote is a controller, DC timer, and an old boat battery. Their hooked up to a $50 solar panel. Every 6 hrs I have it pump 150 to 200 gallons of water into the 800 gal tank. I have a hose spicket at the 400 and 600 gal marks and put hose on whatever level I want. The overflow drains into my garden inside the chain link. When I get this running in the spring I never have to look at it again except when I'm putting bait in or taking out.
Posted By: skippyturtle

Re: My bait tank - 06/13/18 05:12 PM

Awesome setup
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: My bait tank - 06/14/18 03:13 AM

Does your well water have enough oxygen to keep the fish alive?
I topped of my small pond with well water one time and killed all the fish. I am guessing that it was from lack of oxygen. I don't know.
Posted By: Cougarw

Re: My bait tank - 06/16/18 03:05 AM

The first fish I put in died and I think it was from lack of oxygen. On the side of the 4x4 I mounted a bread pan with about a hundred holes punched in the bottom with the hose dumping in there it “rains” in the tank when filling. Haven’t had a problem since.
Posted By: Boco

Re: My bait tank - 06/16/18 03:10 AM

If the water was too cold it could have killed them(shock).
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: My bait tank - 06/16/18 03:54 AM

Originally Posted By: Boco
If the water was too cold it could have killed them(shock).

Our ground water is tepid most of the year here in coastal Virginia. I sure do miss the Michigan tap water that nearly cracked your teeth when you drank it.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums