Home

Savage Mark ll GL in .22 cal. Any good?

Posted By: Catch22

Savage Mark ll GL in .22 cal. Any good? - 06/13/18 08:03 PM

Here's the deal, I want another .22 for squirrel that I want to camo up like a sniper rifle. It won't look as good as Scuba's, but it will be fun. I will throw some decent glass on it and snipe squirrels. I shoot left handed and I want a lefty bolt action. My first choice was the CZ 452, but the stock is way to nice to camo up. So, the Savage Mark ll is about it I guess, are they accurate and reliable? I want a tack driver but limited because of shooting lefty.
Posted By: nightlife

Re: Savage Mark ll GL in .22 cal. Any good? - 06/13/18 08:36 PM

Go for it nothing but head shots if the one you buy is anything like my brothers it is more then capable of doing just that
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Savage Mark ll GL in .22 cal. Any good? - 06/13/18 09:05 PM

we have a MKII-FV and shoot flies off a white paper target at 50 yards , squirrel heads or your shooting is broken or you have bad ammo.

our youth shooting program has a few they all shot well

the only complaint I have ever heard about a savage MKII series 22 is , the magazine construction is Meh all mine have held together but I have heard of them having issues , but they are not to expensive 15-20 dollars and you should have a few.
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Savage Mark ll GL in .22 cal. Any good? - 06/14/18 02:52 AM

So other than the magazine's, they're pretty good it sounds like. Lefty's sure don't have many options!
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Savage Mark ll GL in .22 cal. Any good? - 06/14/18 03:12 AM

trigger is adjustable down to very reasonable about 2.5 pounds

grease the bolt and work it repeatedly

the mags work for me fine but I try not to sit on them or drop them on concrete but it is the one complaint I have heard about them and it may have just been someone griping or one bad run of mags.

my son bought his about 3-4 years ago we have thousands I am just not sure how many thousands maybe 3 , 4 ,5K through it , that would explain where that case of ammo went.

it has a hole on each side of the receiver where the barrel attaches you run a pipe cleaner through those to clean the extractor cut outs.

the stock comb was a little low some foam sleeping pad and black medical tape and it is just right now , no worries harming the poly stock

he shoots it a lot , I used it in an Appleseed and repeatedly turned in rifleman's scores
© 2024 Trapperman Forums