Home

What would you do... Savage 24?

Posted By: FL cracker in AK

What would you do... Savage 24? - 06/20/18 04:47 AM

I have the opportunity to purchase a Savage Model 24 Field Model, in .22 mag/20 ga. It has the break lever on the top on the tang, and you flip a switch on the hammer up and down to fire either barrel. It needs to be reblued, as less than 50 % of the blueing remains, the rear stock is hoplessly busted, it needs a new one as well as a new triggerguard. It is also in need of a new firing pin and firing pin spring. How much would you offer for it? They are asking $150.00. I don't have any pictures, sorry. If I did get it, I would either fix it up and use it or part it out and sell it. Which would you do if you bought it? I've got a soft spot in me for Savage 24's.
Posted By: cotton

Re: What would you do... Savage 24? - 06/20/18 06:13 AM

fix and keep
Posted By: micheal

Re: What would you do... Savage 24? - 06/20/18 10:23 AM

how much to fix it?
Posted By: Woodsloafer72

Re: What would you do... Savage 24? - 06/20/18 10:43 AM

A decent user is about $500
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: What would you do... Savage 24? - 06/20/18 10:57 AM

Offer $125 and see what happens. I don't know the difficulty or cost to make the repairs, but I sure would be inclined to do it and keep that gun.
Posted By: OhioBoy

Re: What would you do... Savage 24? - 06/20/18 11:22 AM

Me too.

Originally Posted By: trapdog1
Offer $125 and see what happens. I don't know the difficulty or cost to make the repairs, but I sure would be inclined to do it and keep that gun.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: What would you do... Savage 24? - 06/20/18 11:46 AM

Originally Posted By: OhioBoy
Me too.

agreed, see what parts will cost at gunpartscorp, jackfirstgun, and gun-parts THEN make an offer.
Posted By: Allan Minear

Re: What would you do... Savage 24? - 06/20/18 01:59 PM

I'd buy it then repair it with one of your kids or grandkids. Then give it to them as a gift after its back to shooting order, that could be kept with some great memories.
Allan
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: What would you do... Savage 24? - 06/20/18 02:53 PM

stock will run 90-100 by the time you get it there , Numrich has no trigger guards. a main spring is about 7-8 dollars and a new hammer assembly is 54 , if you just need the firing pin called the selector on these 25

you might make it a re-blued shooter for 500 if you start at 150.

but that lack of a trigger guard could put you over

if you really want to take on the project and have the tools and knowledge for it I think I would explain to them the trigger guard issue and get some more wiggle room.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: What would you do... Savage 24? - 06/20/18 03:20 PM

I think I got the last trigger guard from Numrich about 4 moths ago. Kept the cracked one as a back up. It broke at the screw hole. But it is for the model with the break button in the trigger guard. If you really need it PM me.

I would not hesitate to buy it.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: What would you do... Savage 24? - 06/20/18 04:11 PM

You accidentally put a "1" in there. lol I'd offer $50 cash unless he's some kind of great friend who really needs the money. You can build a stock and a trigger guard. It wouldn't have to be a show piece to work. A project with a kid sounds like a great idea to me too.

~ADC~
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: What would you do... Savage 24? - 06/20/18 04:36 PM

What ADC said ^^^^^^^ ! Don’t worry about the bluing these guns were never a show piece anyway. Oil and use or paint it camo . Good luck !

Re: What would you do... Savage 24? - 06/20/18 05:22 PM

I live in a bush village, so all the work I will do myself. You would be surprised how many Savage 24's I see out here. Thinking of offering $75.
Posted By: Dent Cnty Traper

Re: What would you do... Savage 24? - 06/20/18 05:22 PM

MAN !! I have one in 22mag / 410 and I can't tell you the amount of stuff I've killed with it.. In my opinion that's the meat gettingest gun ever made.. I'm sure there are other opinions, but that's mine... Get it fix and use it, it won't let you down.. I use mine for everything from trapline work to small game hunting.. It sets in my 4 wheeler as a permanent guest.. Just like the commercial "Don't leave home without it"..
Posted By: Boco

Re: What would you do... Savage 24? - 06/20/18 05:35 PM

With it being in that rough of condition,I would look at the barrels to make sure they aint shot before re furb.
I would offer $50.
Chiappa makes a nice over under 22 mag\410(double badger).Its a lighter smaller gun than the 24 and a fair price new.
Posted By: Snare loop

Re: What would you do... Savage 24? - 06/20/18 07:08 PM

I have the 410/22 and to me it sounds like it's more of a parts gun that your looking at. mine works and is in fair shape with clean bores. thought $150 would be fair price for mine. I have no clue what there worth

Re: What would you do... Savage 24? - 06/20/18 07:21 PM

Yes Boco, I love the Chiappa double badger as well. It's hard to beat a small caliber rifle/shotgun combo.
Posted By: coydog2

Re: What would you do... Savage 24? - 06/20/18 08:40 PM

I have a Savage 22lr/410 Model 24 and got that new many years ago. I say offer low like is stated and then come up to make it sound good . But not much.For what is asking for it I would not pay that for all that is wrong with it and all the repairs needed to be done to it. If it was me I would get it as low as I can and fix it and not blue it and use it as is.That would be a good gun to have also.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: What would you do... Savage 24? - 06/20/18 08:46 PM

Buddy had one of those in a 223/12 gauge. put a scope on it with a see thru mount. Went to shoot a coyote and had the switch in the wrong spot. Scope cut his eye when he pulled the trigger on that 3 inch load of 4 buckshot. I laughed so hard I bout peed on myself. Coyote just run off. I think thats why when he sold it two weeks later he wouldn't sell it to me. If its fixable and you want it then buy it.
Posted By: Kyt

Re: What would you do... Savage 24? - 06/20/18 08:58 PM

Depends on what it will be used for and the budget. If it is going to be a beater truck gun you can have it in serviceable condition with a firing pin spring from numrich or savage. If it has a busted stock you can repair it with epoxy glue and walnut sawdust. Then it will be stronger than the original wood. Firing pins are not complicated to make, especially if you have the old one. The first one I made was when I was 16.
With regular oiling and maintenance you don't have to have more bluing. You could spray paint the barrel with black rustoleum to protect it, too.
Posted By: MChewk

Re: What would you do... Savage 24? - 06/20/18 09:37 PM

I'm like ADC on this one go low you can always come up...no guarantees with used guns. AND go with a synthetic stock IF it is to be a hunting gun.
Posted By: trapperchris

Re: What would you do... Savage 24? - 06/20/18 11:10 PM

There's also quite a few Mdl 24 parts, all that you listed, available on ebay. As mentioned, Numrich Arms is great source as well as Brownell's. You'll pay for it if they have it, but if you need it, you need it.
I think $150 sounds high, but I'm cheap. I'd offer $50-$75. Just my .02 cents.
Posted By: GordenHere

Re: What would you do... Savage 24? - 06/21/18 05:43 AM

I agree with what almost everyone else has said. Here's my take. How bad do you want it? If you want it, offer less-period. Not worth a whole heck of a lot. You can pick up single shot weapons for about the same price in much better condition if you are looking for the single shot weapon. If you were looking for a combo, once you have it, at your leisure, you can reconstruct it as pretty or as ugly as you are able to or need to.
Posted By: Dana I

Re: What would you do... Savage 24? - 06/21/18 08:52 AM

Originally Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE
stock will run 90-100 by the time you get it there , Numrich has no trigger guards. a main spring is about 7-8 dollars and a new hammer assembly is 54 , if you just need the firing pin called the selector on these 25

you might make it a re-blued shooter for 500 if you start at 150.

but that lack of a trigger guard could put you over

if you really want to take on the project and have the tools and knowledge for it I think I would explain to them the trigger guard issue and get some more wiggle room.

I just bought the same gun a month ago, it also needed a trigger guard. I found mine on eBay for under 15 dollars free shipping. was not hard to find and not expensive. Problem is they are plastic. I have read that there was a company that made metal ones but was unable to find them.
Posted By: Killbuck

Re: What would you do... Savage 24? - 06/23/18 08:06 PM

I had one for a couple years. 22mag/20ga. 22mag IMO requires a scope. Gun had bases for clamp on 22 type not suitable for 20ga shooting. Couldn't find any possible use for the gun.

Re: What would you do... Savage 24? - 06/23/18 10:12 PM

I would be carrying it on a snow machine for up to 16 hours a day, so it wouldn't have a scope on it. If you strap a scoped gun to a snow machine, the scope will get bounced off two or three inches in no time. I carry my .223 varmint rifle with a scope on it slung on my back so it don't get off sight. In my experience, you don't always have time to stop the snowmachine, turn it off, take off your goggles and gauntlets, get off and sink in waste deep snow, flounder to the back of the snow machine, unlatch a gun case, chamber a round, take the safety off, and still expect a wolf or other varmint to hang around. So I carry my .223 on my back, and some kind of shotgun strapped to the tunnel for quick access for rabbits, grouse, and ptarmigan. It cuts out the floundering to the back the machine and struggling with a gun case.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums