Home

tariffs...

Posted By: flash

tariffs... - 06/22/18 11:05 AM

reading the business section in this morning paper got me to thinking. with china and the european union hitting back with their own tariffs on american goods plus Canada jump`in on the band wagon, it can`t be good on our wild fur market. i do understand trumps thinking and the why's behind it and can only hope we out last and turn it around for fair trade for all. with the market down already, i hate to think what the next fur season brings. just hope it gets worked out right quick!! do you think it will hit the ranch mink and foxes markets as well??
Posted By: FlyinFinn

Re: tariffs... - 06/22/18 01:21 PM

Fair trade doesn't come about by making trade more unfair.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: tariffs... - 06/22/18 01:38 PM

Just more taxes the people will be paying one way or another is all, when they run out of taxes they already have they start making them up to collect more like a wheel tax or carbon tax or just raise the ones they have in place.
Posted By: hippie

Re: tariffs... - 06/22/18 03:12 PM

A report i read about the G7 in Canada said our President shut them up with one statement, but the MSM isn't reporting it.

He asked them if they wanted free trade, as in North America Free trade Agreement? (NAFTA)

He said, lets have free trade, who all wants to drop all tariffs and have free trade? He didn't get any takers, lol.
http://www.businessinsider.com/trump-sug...7-summit-2018-6
LET THE BEST COUNTRY WIN!
Posted By: Catch22

Re: tariffs... - 06/22/18 03:20 PM

I think Trump is doing the right thing, we need to even the playing field. It may get a little squirrly but it'll work it's self out with the US coming out in better shape imo.

Re: tariffs... - 06/22/18 03:25 PM

Past Presidents have been on board with giving our country away. Glad we finally got one in that's for us.

These other countries are gonna throw a fit, they've been profiting off us for decades while we borrow money to give them. Crazy.
Posted By: Kart29

Re: tariffs... - 06/22/18 03:29 PM

I have no idea how steel and aluminum tariffs or the counter-tariffs would effect the wild fur market.

All the economists tell us that tariffs always have a negative economic effect on all parties. Yet, when we impose a tariff, other nations respond by instituting their own retaliatory tariffs. Don't they know they are hurting themselves by doing so? If the U.S. is supposedly so stupid for putting these tariffs in place, why are the other nations doing the same thing? Are all the national leaders ignorant fools and only the economists in the textbooks and news outlets know the truth? I don't get it.

Re: tariffs... - 06/22/18 03:31 PM

If a slightly poorer fur market is the result of protecting an industry critical to our national defense, I guess I can live with it.

Re: tariffs... - 06/22/18 03:35 PM

China pretty much done in fur a couple years ago when they cracked down on fur buyers.

(yes, tariffs)
Posted By: white17

Re: tariffs... - 06/22/18 03:42 PM

I think the fur market is so incredibly small on a relative basis, that there will be no direct impact from tariffs. What will impact it is currency manipulation by China in response to our tariffs. I think that is far more likely because China can't hurt us much with tariffs because they actually import much less from us than we do from them.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: tariffs... - 06/22/18 05:55 PM

The $1.50 lost per bushel in the soybean market already due to just the rumors will cost the USA and rural America about $500-%700 million dollars in local revenue to spend. 1 million coons at $15 per coon is $15 million. 4.5 million ranch mink at $50 per pelt is only $225 million so yes the wild fur market is a drop in the bucket if that even.

Bryce
Posted By: Tweed

Re: tariffs... - 06/22/18 05:59 PM

I hear the crannberry folks up north are xoncerned as some sort of retaliatory tariff went into effect agaunat US crannberries

Re: tariffs... - 06/22/18 06:02 PM

There's gonna be some pain on our side, no doubt.

We can't keep going down the same path we were on. sooner or later we can't borrow enough money to keep that up.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: tariffs... - 06/22/18 09:06 PM

It still burns my butt when they decided that not labeling US meat products was somehow fair to other countries as they don't meet our standards of quality and production. So I guess them raising their standards was not a thing to consider to be competitive I the world market.

Right up there with when they said sending out jobs overseas was so good for us, someone's making a buck on this you can bet on that.
Posted By: Boco

Re: tariffs... - 06/22/18 10:10 PM

I hear talk of suspending your US patents by Canada and other countries in retaliation for the tariffs.Canada can put as much tariffs as they want and it would do nothing to the US in comparison to what the US tariffs will do to harm our economy here.
The only option we have to hurt you back in a similar way is to suspend your patent protection here,and start manufacturing things like drugs etc that we could not do under the international patent laws.
In the long run this will be good for Canada because we have become too dependent on the US as a market for our goods and raw material.In the short term it will be rough until new foreign markets open up.

The Canadian dollar will drop against the USD in the future because of this,which will be a big bonus to Canadian Fur producers,and other exporting industries,but only if the USD remains the world currency,which may not be the case for too much longer.
It will be no good at all for companys that buy from the US.They will have to find alternative suppliers.Lots of lost jobs here in a lot of industries until things shake out.
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: tariffs... - 06/22/18 11:22 PM

I'm not finding much sympathy for "trade partners" who regularly tax US imports and are now feeling the sting of the US doing the same.

Either it's free trade or it isnt...

Them's the breaks.

Mike
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: tariffs... - 06/23/18 11:45 AM

I just saw a poll that stated 62% of Americans say maintaining good relations with other countries is important vs 25% that say imposing tariffs is a good thing.

I didn't get that phone call. Did anybody here get one?
Posted By: flash

Re: tariffs... - 06/23/18 01:27 PM

didn`t get one here. have no problem with trump doing his thing. it`s just wild trappers seem to be the last in line when it comes to moving your fur.
Posted By: trapperkeck

Re: tariffs... - 06/23/18 02:14 PM

I doubt that 1 tenth of 1% of the US population is savvy enough to have an educated opinion on whether tarriffs are good or bad for our country.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: tariffs... - 06/23/18 03:06 PM

Yep...we wouldnt want the fur market to drop!

Re: tariffs... - 06/25/18 12:04 PM

Harley Davidson just announced that because of the retaliatory tariffs, they will be shipping manufactoring jobs overseas.
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: tariffs... - 06/25/18 12:21 PM

Originally Posted By: trapperkeck
I doubt that 1 tenth of 1% of the US population is savvy enough to have an educated opinion on whether tarriffs are good or bad for our country.

Exactly! Most people are influenced by a friend or relitive as to what they think is right. Most of the time it is way out in left field! Look at all the goofballs that believe in a flat earth and some of the crap on the net!
Posted By: Osky

Re: tariffs... - 06/25/18 01:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Boco
I hear talk of suspending your US patents by Canada and other countries in retaliation for the tariffs.Canada can put as much tariffs as they want and it would do nothing to the US in comparison to what the US tariffs will do to harm our economy here.
The only option we have to hurt you back in a similar way is to suspend your patent protection here,and start manufacturing things like drugs etc that we could not do under the international patent laws.
In the long run this will be good for Canada because we have become too dependent on the US as a market for our goods and raw material.In the short term it will be rough until new foreign markets open up.

The Canadian dollar will drop against the USD in the future because of this,which will be a big bonus to Canadian Fur producers,and other exporting industries,but only if the USD remains the world currency,which may not be the case for too much longer.
It will be no good at all for companys that buy from the US.They will have to find alternative suppliers.Lots of lost jobs here in a lot of industries until things shake out.

That would come to nothing Boco. I own Canadian patents protections, what does that hurt America taking them from me? What's to say I do not have some things produced up there, licensing out the production rights and distribution rights up there? It only hurts Canada. it will be interesting to see how the shift if any in tariff relations concerning Ag products will effect the American Ag subsidies programs.

Osky
Posted By: Furvor

Re: tariffs... - 06/25/18 05:20 PM

The tariffs are a bargaining powerplay to force unwilling trade bullies to concede a tiny bit of fairness. Like most fights, of course tariffs will hurt both sides. The U.S. has been tolerate of the trade abuse for too long. That is not to say the U.S. 100% without trade sin ourselves. The tariffs must stay along as trade partners insist on their way or the highway.
Posted By: Rat Masterson

Re: tariffs... - 06/25/18 06:36 PM

Before this all started India had a 100% tariff on Harleys, Trumps fault I'm sure. Was already asked to do away with all tariffs with the EU and Canada and they declined, wonder why.

Re: tariffs... - 06/25/18 06:53 PM

tariffs hurt consumers, governments love them as a source of revenue and in today's twisted times that seems to be ok with people. its about as simple as that.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: tariffs... - 06/25/18 07:39 PM

Tariffs result in higher prices and are usually passed on to the consumer.

Re: tariffs... - 06/25/18 07:51 PM

Continued large slides in soybean, pork, milk, corn and wheat markets as the markets worry about their export markets and the reactions to those tariffs we are doing or planning. Having rural America lose 1 billion to 2 billion in market prices as a bluff is not the economy they hope to be in.

Bryce
Posted By: ol' dad

Re: tariffs... - 06/25/18 07:52 PM

No pain, no gain...

ol'dad
Posted By: Catch22

Re: tariffs... - 06/25/18 07:55 PM

Originally Posted By: ol' dad
No pain, no gain...

ol'dad

Yep!

Re: tariffs... - 06/25/18 08:06 PM

no pain, no gain sure sounds an awful like collectivism to me. Things work best when individual consumers purchase products without undue smoke screens set up by governments to cloud the price signals. The serenity prayer comes to mind when I think of our 'collective' reaction to OTHER countries decisions on tariffs. "...accept the things I cannot change (other countries' import tariff policies), the courage to change the things I can (make our own country as free market as possible) and the wisdom to know the difference (it's still diddling with the free market even tho a republican does it)". Trade wars have generally been very unpredictable in their duration and outcomes thoughout history.

Tariffs WERE once used in this country as the primary means to fund the federal government prior to income taxes and the myriad of other taxes since invented. It would be fine, market wise,to implement tariffs across the board on all imports in order to fund government -if- other taxes were done away with and -if- there were a signal sent to the market that the tariffs were not punitive or reciprocal to select other countries tariff policies.

Re: tariffs... - 06/25/18 10:51 PM

Quote:
Things work best when individual consumers purchase products without undue smoke screens

If all you see is smoke screens so be it.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: tariffs... - 06/25/18 11:41 PM

To long in coming. JMO

Re: tariffs... - 06/26/18 12:03 AM

There will be a huge hurt on your big drug companys,for one, If Canada annuls their patent protection here.They,under international treaty have been able to sell their product at a huge markup to their own people while supplying it cheap to Canada as long as Canada does not produce the same drugs and put them on the market.(why Americans smuggle drugs made in the states back from Canada at a huge discount).
Apotex is a huge Canadian multinational drug company that will definitely benefit.Canada wont take that step unless Trump rips up the auto agreements
China is also primed to remove all international patent protection on American high tech industrial trade secrets which china has been stealing anyway by not living up to their signed international treatys(like Trump is doing)
Posted By: MJM

Re: tariffs... - 06/26/18 01:23 AM

Trump spent much of the G-7 complaining about Canadian dairy tariffs, mentioning it repeatedly Friday during a leaders’ session on trade, one official said. He seized on one number in particular: Canada’s 270 percent tariff on certain products.

“People can’t charge us 270 percent and we charge them nothing. That doesn’t work anymore,” Trump said during a news conference at the summit. “The United States pays tremendous tariffs on dairy. As an example, 270 percent. Nobody knows that. We pay nothing. We don’t want to pay anything. Why should we pay?”
Posted By: JakeDog

Re: tariffs... - 06/26/18 02:12 AM

Originally Posted By: hippie
Past Presidents have been on board with giving our country away. Glad we finally got one in that's for us.

These other countries are gonna throw a fit, they've been profiting off us for decades while we borrow money to give them. Crazy.

You fall and hit your head hippie? I swore I thought you were anti Trump?

Seriosuly though I love what Trump is doing, he is against the status quo, he is putting America first. Will it be easy or will it be perfect or complete in the near future? No, takes time to fix a screwup that has had a 50 year head start. There will be pains but it will work itself out.

Time tells all truths,

Re: tariffs... - 06/26/18 02:36 AM

rump spent much of the G-7 complaining about Canadian dairy tariffs, mentioning it repeatedly Friday during a leaders’ session on trade, one official said. He seized on one number in particular: Canada’s 270 percent tariff on certain products.

“People can’t charge us 270 percent and we charge them nothing. That doesn’t work anymore,” Trump said during a news conference at the summit. “The United States pays tremendous tariffs on dairy. As an example, 270 percent. Nobody knows that. We pay nothing. We don’t want to pay anything. Why should we pay?”

We buy so little dairy from Canada that it matters little what the tariff is. Canada as a nation has 900,000 dairy cows, the USA has 9.3 million cows, here at WI we have 1.3 million alone. There is such a shortage of milk in Canada that two of the 10 largest dairy firms in the World are Canadian and the have located in the USA and buy and sell their milk in the USA. If our NAFTA agreements with Canada go down due to the dairy tariff that will hurt far, far more to the other industries then the dairy itself.
Trump is referencing the Grassland that lost a market to Canada for a very specific product they were making for a Canadian firm and they let go several dozen WI producers. Yes that is not a good thing but it was not a tariff issue it was a production issue. We have a significant shortage in manufacturing capacity for the milk we produce in the USA and it appears that our export markets which raised prices and created the increased production may be unstable at best and with no one wanting to invest 200-400 million in modern day high capacity processing plants finding a home for milk will be a huge issue for almost any producers. We had farms as large as 1200 cows losing markets to USA companies just recently and the end of that is not in sight.

Bryce
Posted By: Marty

Re: tariffs... - 06/26/18 03:19 AM

British industrialist Sanjeev Gupta’s GFG Industrials on Monday reopened a shuttered South Carolina steel plant in a move that will allow his U.K.-based firm to circumvent the Trump administration’s 25% tariffs on steel imports.

Liberty Steel, a London-based company owned by Gupta’s group, held a relaunch ceremony at Georgetown Steel Mill on Monday.

Re: tariffs... - 06/26/18 11:14 AM

If tariffs are such a bad idea like all the textbooks and economists I read in paper say, then why do all these foreign countries have tariffs on our stuff and why are they instituting new retaliatory tariffs in response to our recent tariff on steel and aluminum to shore up our production of products critical to our national defense?

Why are tariffs such a bad idea for us, but much of the rest of the world is already doing it and seems to be doing it even more?

Re: tariffs... - 06/26/18 11:20 AM

What happens when the government gets addicted to the extra revenue that the tariffs provide but then role them back because of future trade deals? Who will they turn to, to fund their coffers?
Posted By: Art S

Re: tariffs... - 06/26/18 12:10 PM

JSW Steel investing 1 Billion on 2 plants in the U.S.
500 million in a Texas plant and 500 million refurbishing a plant
in Ohio,that WAS GOING TO BE BUILT IN INDIA,300 permanent jobs to Ohio town of around 3000 residents.

MAGA

Re: tariffs... - 06/26/18 01:23 PM

I can't blame Harley for moving. The tariffs will cost them a hundred million dollars per year.

They are caught between a rock and a hard place. The price of steel they use has gone up because of tariffs and the cost to send bikes to Europe has gone up. Due to the tariffs, bikes exported to Europe will cost $2200. more per unit. Harley gets hit form both sides.

These tariffs are absolutely foolish. Yes we might save some of the 150,000 jobs that MAKE steel and aluminum here but how many of the 6.5 million jobs that consume steel and aluminum will be lost ? A heck of a lot more than 150,000 !

Re: tariffs... - 06/26/18 01:36 PM

Harley was building bikes in India where there is a 100% tariff. That seems fair. If tariffs are that bad why didn't the G7 drop them all when Trump offered it. Because they want access to our markets and to protect their businesses. This is about way more than steel. Maybe Trump is sick of the US being walked all over.

Re: tariffs... - 06/26/18 02:01 PM

Originally Posted By: white17
Yes we might save some of the 150,000 jobs that MAKE steel and aluminum here but how many of the 6.5 million jobs that consume steel and aluminum will be lost ? A heck of a lot more than 150,000 !

How do you know that, White17? Is that just speculation or is there some concrete evidence to support that?

Re: tariffs... - 06/26/18 02:27 PM

I don't KNOW it . It is a rational possibility given the impact across various industries though. The world has enough history with tariffs to know what happens when you tax a product. You end up with less of that product...lower supply, higher prices, less production, and fewer jobs. Let's not forget the lessons of Smoot-Hawley.
Posted By: ol' dad

Re: tariffs... - 06/26/18 02:31 PM

Yes, but the past, were they ever executed at the same time as massive corporate tax cuts that should offset a large percentage of the losses as a result of repatriation?

ol'dad

Re: tariffs... - 06/26/18 02:33 PM

Why do you think we will loose so many of those 6.5 million jobs
because they have to buy steel produced in the U.S. instead of China?
The cost? Well the current price increase on steel came from a 500% duty tax
imposed by the obama administration on Chinese steel in 2016,
CNN money
surprised the media didn't scream about that, NOT!
Chinese steel is basically state owned and is subsidized heavily,
in the name of keeping their people working,producing way more than they can use,
so heavily that they sell it cheaper than the rest of the world couldn't possibly produce
it at that price, so they've flooded the market with steel so cheap
that it will shut down the competition.So to get around the duty tax companies moved
to Mexico and Canada (who lap up the cheap Chinese steel like a kitten at a bowl of milk)
and then send the finished product to the U.S. under the "free" trade agreements we have
with those countries,seems fair huh?
I work at a place that makes metal containers, they cried about the tariffs said the containers were
going to cost more and would be detrimental, well we're busier than ever before mandating 60 hour
weeks for all it's workers, do you think Phillip Morris would stop making
Marlboro cigs if the price of tobacco went up?

Re: tariffs... - 06/26/18 02:40 PM

Whole lotta consumin going on here...

Osky

Re: tariffs... - 06/26/18 02:46 PM

Yes i understand the finished product will cost more,
tell that to the person who can afford that product now because he has a job.

Re: tariffs... - 06/26/18 03:12 PM

From today's WSJ

Donald Trump’s trade war has been an abstraction for most Americans so far, but the retaliation has now begun in earnest and the casualties are starting to mount. The President’s beloved stock market took another header Monday on news of more restrictions on investment into the U.S., and the Dow Jones Industrial Average is now down for 2018. But the biggest losers Monday were the American workers who make Harley-Davidson motorcycles whose jobs will soon be headed overseas thanks to the Trump tariffs.

Last year Mr. Trump commended Harley-Davidson for “building things in America,” calling the company “a true American icon, one of the greats.” And he proclaimed last week at a rally in Duluth, Minnesota, “We’re bringing back our jobs from other countries.” Awkward timing, Mr. President. On Monday the motorcycle company announced it will shift more production out of the United States.

U.S. motorcycle sales have been on the decline, so Harley has kept its rubber side down by focusing on global growth. The company considers the EU a “critical market,” and last year it sold nearly 40,000 bikes to European consumers. But in retaliation for Mr. Trump’s steel and aluminum tariffs, the European Union raised its tax on American-exported Harleys to 31% from 6%, effective last Friday. That amounts to a $2,200 tax on each motorcycle exported from the U.S. to the EU.

In a Securities and Exchange Commission filing Monday, Harley said “the tremendous cost increase, if passed on to its dealers and retail customers, would have an immediate and lasting detrimental impact to its business in the region, reducing customer access to Harley-Davidson products and negatively impacting the sustainability of its dealers’ businesses.” Translation for Mr. Trump: Unlike real estate, cars and motorcycles are a global market.

Harley has opted not to raise prices, instead bearing the $90 million to $100 million annual cost of the tariffs in the short term. To avoid those trade penalties in the long term, Harley will scale back U.S. operations over the next 18 months, making more bikes overseas.

Harley hasn’t provided details about how its American workforce will be affected. But Harley employs more than a thousand unionized U.S. steelworkers—the very folks the President claims he’s protecting. Harley’s main manufacturing facilities are in Wisconsin and Pennsylvania, and Mr. Trump has said the “big league” support of Harley employees helped him win the swing states in 2016.

The only response White House press secretary Sarah Sanders could muster on Monday to the Harley news is that “the European Union is trying to punish U.S. workers by engaging in unfair trade practices.” But the Harley harm is made in America—that is, the White House.

Mr. Trump threw the first punch with his steel and aluminum tariffs, which have already driven up the cost of Harley’s raw materials by $15 million to $20 million this year, CFO John Olin said in an April earnings call. Mr. Trump also killed the Trans-Pacific Partnership, which would have cut tariffs on American-made motorcycles. U.S. withdrawal forced Harley to pursue its “Plan B” and build a plant in Thailand to avoid Asian tariffs.

“We would rather not make the investment in that facility, but that’s what’s necessary to access a very important market,” CEO Matt Levatich told Bloomberg in April. Meanwhile, the company will close its 800-worker Kansas City, Missouri, plant by 2019. Harley will expand operations in York, Pennsylvania, but the result is still a net loss in American jobs.

The protectionist pain isn’t limited to Harley. Mid-Continent Nail of Poplar Bluff, Missouri, makes about half of the nails produced in America. But Mexican steel wire is the company’s main input, and it’s now subject to a 25% tariff. Mid-Continent tried passing that added cost to consumers, but purchases plummeted and buyers cancelled existing orders, opting for cheaper Chinese nails. The company has already cut 60 employees from its workforce of 500, and it will likely soon lay off 200 more. It’s now pinning its hopes on a tariff exemption from the Commerce Department, which is grappling with a backlog of 21,000 similar petitions.

The list of job casualties will continue to grow. A June report by the economic consulting firm Trade Partnerships Worldwide estimates a net loss of 400,445 jobs over the next three years because of the steel and aluminum tariffs, quotas and retaliation. That’s 16 jobs lost for each steel or aluminum job gained.

The damage is likely to have political consequences, as the retaliatory tariffs target industries in swing states. Wisconsin produces more than 90% of America’s ginseng, and 95% of that comes from Marathon County. The county went for Mr. Trump in 2016, but it’s now wrestling with the consequences of China’s new 15% retaliatory tariff. Mr. Trump is also going to have some explaining to do to Wisconsin cranberry farmers, Florida orange-juice producers, and Iowa soy and corn growers.

Good luck to Republicans running on the Trump tariffs in November.

Re: tariffs... - 06/26/18 04:07 PM

Are you looking at the whole picture tho White?

These other countries have us over a barrel now. They are ripping our companies with high tariffs and then using that money to subsidize their own businesses to make cheap goods that also hurt us.

Short term, these companies like Harley may doo good to move, but when all that sibsidie money dries up, those countries are gonna have to tax the business and the profits will be deminished.

Gonna take awhile, but in the long run, we can't keep allowing this un-balanced trade tariff to continue.

Re: tariffs... - 06/26/18 04:30 PM

Wouldn't it make far more sense to try to remove or reduce specific tariffs on US products rather than disrupt world trade with a shotgun approach ? You'll notice that China has narrowly tailored their responses to specific items while we have targeted broad categories of goods. The whole world would be far better off to remove ALL tariffs.
Posted By: muskrat411

Re: tariffs... - 06/26/18 04:37 PM

The biggest problem in the USA is no one buys American goods in the USA. If they did you would not need foreign markets it would take all your people just to produce the goods needed in the USA. Trump is on to something, hopefully his actions produce results before he terms out. The best thing for the USA is if Walmart, Cabellas, Piggly Wiggly.....ect had to fill their shelves with goods made in the USA, by Americans rather than in Bangledeshi sweat shops.

Now if only we could get Americans and Canadians to buy fur trapped by hard working Canadians and Americans. We would not be able to produce enough wild fur to meet demand. especially if Millions of dirt cheap Chinese mink were kept off the market. think of trade in terms of fur it gets much more clear.

Re: tariffs... - 06/26/18 04:39 PM

One more thing traps are made of steel. Do you think the trap companies will bring there manufacturing back to the USA from Vietnam to avoid tarrifs?

Re: tariffs... - 06/26/18 04:40 PM

And all that would do is drive the cost of living through the roof !

Re: tariffs... - 06/26/18 04:47 PM

Yes it would White, Trump floated that idea, but the other countries didn't like that idea, lol.

http://www.businessinsider.com/trump-sug...7-summit-2018-6

It might be his goal in the end.

Re: tariffs... - 06/26/18 05:16 PM

And on the other side of the coin holding Harley Davidson up as a prime example is a bit suspect. Harley's business decisions and management in the last 50 years have been far from stellar. Their current whining sure does fit the attack Trump narrative of the left, any press is good press?

Osky

Re: tariffs... - 06/26/18 06:04 PM

So then, the EU increased their tariff on imported motorcycles by 500% and supposedly as a result, a foreign manufacturer moved their production into the EU. Do I understand that right?

Things that make you go, "hmmmmmm".
Posted By: John-Chagnon

Re: tariffs... - 06/26/18 06:08 PM

We are adding a few more Made in the U.S.A. products this year. Might be a small part but every U.S.A. Job matters. Way more enjoyable working with projects down the road instead of across the ocean.

Re: tariffs... - 06/26/18 06:23 PM

Americans are so scared of paying more. They don't mind destroying there economy to do a Walmart run and buy cheaper poor quality products.
But now if only we can get Americans to buy fur. Is poor trappers will be able to afford the new made in USA products.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: tariffs... - 06/26/18 06:41 PM

The whole world would be far better off to remove ALL tariffs.

That is exactly what Trump suggested to world leaders at the G7 conference.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: tariffs... - 06/26/18 06:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Kart29
So then, the EU increased their tariff on imported motorcycles by 500% and supposedly as a result, a foreign manufacturer moved their production into the EU. Do I understand that right?

Things that make you go, "hmmmmmm".

In the long run, we will be gaining a whole lot more manufacturing jobs then we lose. Other countries will try to stand together, against the US, but they will fairly quickly cave, because they hate each other and need our money and goods.

China imports a huge amount of soybeans from the US and unless Brazil greatly increases it's output, their will be mass starvation in China, if they don't reduce the tarrif on soybeans or subsidize soybeans for their people.

The World needs the United States than the United States needs the rest of the World. We have what we need to be self reliant. Prices will go up, but we will survive and later thrive.

Keith

Re: tariffs... - 06/26/18 08:14 PM

Originally Posted By: muskrat411
Americans are so scared of paying more. They don't mind destroying there economy to do a Walmart run and buy cheaper poor quality products.
But now if only we can get Americans to buy fur. Is poor trappers will be able to afford the new made in USA products.

So, it sounds as though you are suggesting that "people" whether Americans or Canadians, will benefit from government intervening in markets. When government imposes a tariff on a foreign product it is attempting to prevent you from buying that product, by increasing the price, and encouraging you to buy a similar product made in the USA. Frankly, I find it humorous as well as insulting to suggest that people need the government to tell them what product is best to meet their needs. The Obamacare individual mandate comes to mind as a specific instance.

I think most people can decide for themselves.
Posted By: gryhkl

Re: tariffs... - 06/26/18 08:21 PM

Wouldn't it make far more sense to try to remove or reduce specific tariffs on US products rather than disrupt world trade with a shotgun approach ? You'll notice that China has narrowly tailored their responses to specific items while we have targeted broad categories of goods. The whole world would be far better off to remove ALL tariffs.

White17, you sound just like a REAL conservative. Not many of us left these days-at least those of us who are willing to disagree with a move made trump.

Re: tariffs... - 06/26/18 08:29 PM

Annulling patents would be stealing, plain and simple, as is requiring companies to share technical information as a condition of doing business, as China does. I hope Canada does not become another China.

Re: tariffs... - 06/26/18 08:31 PM

Not any different than breaking any other trade treatys.International patents are treatys.

Re: tariffs... - 06/26/18 08:36 PM

Again, tariffs are a response to countries that in effect say go to hades when asked to be more fair.

Re: tariffs... - 06/26/18 08:46 PM

You signed trade treatys,under international law you are expected to stand by your word.
Not someone elses fault if you signed a bad deal.

Re: tariffs... - 06/26/18 08:55 PM

You signed trade treatys,under international law you are expected to stand by your word.
Not someone elses fault if you signed a bad deal.

my point earlier Boco still stands. I paid and will pay significant money for the patent protections they granted and promised me. The us government had nothing to do with our business agreement. I expect Canada to honor their end of our agreement just as I will mine.

Osky

Re: tariffs... - 06/26/18 09:03 PM

Kiss them goodbye if trump breaks the auto pact.
Surely you don't expect our country stand by treatys while your country breaks them left and right.
You started it not us.

Re: tariffs... - 06/26/18 09:04 PM

The reason the US has gotten bad deals is because politicians have gotten big cash payments. Politicians that abuse their office, should be extremely harshly punished.

Keith

Re: tariffs... - 06/26/18 09:08 PM

Not only politicians but many of your large companys like the American drug companys ripping off Americans.
Regardless there is lasting consequences when you don't live up to your signed word.
I wouldn't make a deal with anyone with a reputation of not living up to their end of a bargain.
Posted By: wetdog

Re: tariffs... - 06/26/18 09:13 PM

Boco its been said already
Without the US you're economy is swirling down the crapper

Re: tariffs... - 06/26/18 09:16 PM

I doubt it we have tons of natural resources that the world is crying out for.We have just been too dependant on the US because of our proximity and past friendship.
It will be tough for a while until our trade is geared away from the US and focuses on the pacific rim and elsewhere.
The Canadian prairies are basically the worlds breadbasket,and with the tariffs on US by China for grains,Canada will be able to fill the void.But it might be quicker changeover have to wait and see.

I see this as being a long term benefit for Canada.I think we should also develop more refining capacity and not need to supply the US refinerys and refine our massive oil reserves right here.

Re: tariffs... - 06/26/18 09:32 PM

We didn't break anything Boco. Read the rules of NAFTA.

Re: tariffs... - 06/26/18 09:33 PM

Natural resources mean nothing when your country is controlled by postmodern neo-marxist radical enviromentalists. Canada has a real cultural problem. It has an extreme proportion of its population concentrated in urban areas near the American border. These urban dwellers have lost touch with the importance of developing natural resources. Boco, your own province passed a law compelling speech in regards to transexuals ( http://dailycaller.com/2017/06/16/canada-passes-law-criminalizing-use-of-wrong-gender-pronouns/ ). Any government that would allow that has lost touch with any manly subject such as developing natural resources.

Re: tariffs... - 06/26/18 10:00 PM

Without the United States protection, Canada would be ripe to be plucked by another World power, probably China. Lots of resources, most of the population crowded in a small area, not much of a military, a mostly unarmed populous, an already huge foreign population and no nuclear weapons makes Canada a ridiculously easy target.

Keith

Re: tariffs... - 06/26/18 10:12 PM

Your out to lunch.Our military is as good as if not better trained than yours,our population is armed to the teeth,and our foreign population is smaller than yours,and are also quite patriotic.We are also part of a larger alliance.
I wouldn't depend on Americans to defend me after your track record in viet nam and other places.

We would definitely not be scared of any invader,they would learn the lesson of Napoleon and Hitlers germany when a soft warm climate people tried to take a northern cold hardened population.

As you learned your lesson the only(and last) time you thought you could expand your border north.

Re: tariffs... - 06/26/18 10:16 PM

Canada has nuclear capability,large supply of uranium,large stocks of spent fuel to make plutonium,worlds second largest nuclear reactor.We could whip up a nuke in no time but chose not to.But we will if we need it.

Re: tariffs... - 06/26/18 10:28 PM

Canada has nuclear capability,large supply of uranium,large stocks of spent fuel to make plutonium,worlds second largest nuclear reactor.We could whip up a nuke in no time but chose not to.But we will if we need it.

China and Russia have nukes now, if they want your resources, they are not going to wait for Canada to make nuclear weapons. They'll just threaten Canada and take it.

Keith

Re: tariffs... - 06/26/18 10:31 PM

Trump is making a visit to Fargo, ND tomorrow. Some say it is a pep rally, but he might be checking out the invasion route to Winnipeg too.

Re: tariffs... - 06/26/18 10:32 PM

Kiss them goodbye if trump breaks the auto pact.
Surely you don't expect our country stand by treatys while your country breaks them left and right.
You started it not us.

What has that to do with me? If tariffs change I would pay them. No where in my patent agreements with Canada is there any exclusion or termination clause related to tariffs.
If I sold you Boco an exclusive territory I control so you could be the fur supplier, and I accept your money for a stated period of protection, what would I care about a seperate non related issue causing two other guys to threaten peeing in each other's Wheaties?
Tariffs may change on account of what those two yo yos may do, but I would still honor yours and my seperate transaction.
There may not even be a tariff involved, as stated I may be licensing and creating jobs for Canadians by having products manufactured up there.
Not understanding why you see justification in cheating me?

Osky

Re: tariffs... - 06/26/18 10:33 PM

Our population is armed to the teeth.

Only 22% of Canadian households have any firearms at all.

http://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/rp-pr/csj-sjc/jsp-sjp/wd98_4-dt98_4/p2.html

That hardly sounds like being armed to the teeth unless you Canadians lost most of your teeth playing hockey, which I guess is a strong possibility. smile

Keith

Re: tariffs... - 06/26/18 10:42 PM

Canada has a military of 23,000 and reserves of 17,000 GDP 1.5 trillion. US 1.4 million in the military GDP at 18.5 trillion. Boco you have lost it.

Re: tariffs... - 06/26/18 10:55 PM

And you couldn't beat the handful of Vietnamese with sks.lol.
And our snipers are better than yours too.
Quality my friend trumps quantity every time.And don't forget to count our allies in Nato who will stand with us.
You might want to study the Falkland war on how to win one.

Re: tariffs... - 06/26/18 11:05 PM

Well Boco you haven't lost your sense of humor.

Re: tariffs... - 06/26/18 11:17 PM

Only 22% of Americans own guns(2016,down from 25% in 1994).6% of americans own half the guns,lol.
How many can you carry at one time with snow up to your crotch,keith?lol.
Good one about the missing teeth and hockey-got a good chuckle out of that one,lol.
Posted By: walleyed

Re: tariffs... - 06/26/18 11:45 PM

Originally Posted By: KeithC
Our population is armed to the teeth.

That hardly sounds like being armed to the teeth unless you Canadians lost most of your teeth playing hockey, which I guess is a strong possibility. smile

Keith

That Would Mean That Boco and His Hosers Are "Armed With A TOOTH" !! laugh

w
Posted By: Saskquatch

Re: tariffs... - 06/26/18 11:57 PM

As a 4 time bankruptcy loser/thief, trump will leave the US economy fractured and hanging as he did when he fleeced countless other US citizens and companies out of billions. Starting a trade war with the rest of the world and unravelling the efforts of past generations of leadership is pretty much par for the course. That narcissistic fruit-loop is all yours.
Posted By: grumley701

Re: tariffs... - 06/27/18 12:02 AM

Originally Posted By: Saskquatch
As a 4 time bankruptcy loser/thief, trump will leave the US economy fractured and hanging as he did when he fleeced countless other US citizens and companies out of billions. Starting a trade war with the rest of the world and unravelling the efforts of past generations of leadership is pretty much par for the course. That narcissistic fruit-loop is all yours.

worried about loosing that 275% DAIRY tariff I see........MAGA.

Re: tariffs... - 06/27/18 12:05 AM

Your country and the other 6 were offered the idea of dropping all tariffs both ways. No takers I guess? Seemed a pretty straight up deal to me, no trade war at all.

Osky

Re: tariffs... - 06/27/18 12:06 AM

Canada, like many other nations clearly took advantage of the US, for years and like welfare users and other sponges of the public, think they are entitled to legally steal from us forever. They are now learning a hard lesson about cheating the US.

Keith

Re: tariffs... - 06/27/18 12:29 AM

Its all good, we are having a hoot watching and listening to the rants of a lunatic, and his minions repeating everything he fabricates in his mind. BANANA's

Posted By: Diggerman

Re: tariffs... - 06/27/18 12:38 AM

Originally Posted By: Rat Masterson
Canada has a military of 23,000 and reserves of 17,000 GDP 1.5 trillion. US 1.4 million in the military GDP at 18.5 trillion. Boco you have lost it.

Not sure Canada could match da UP in military might.

Re: tariffs... - 06/27/18 12:43 AM

One of Looney Tunes most recent tweets. He'll turn on you like a rabid dog.

Donald J. Trump
‏
A Harley-Davidson should never be built in another country-never! Their employees and customers are already very angry at them. If they move, watch, it will be the beginning of the end - they surrendered, they quit! The Aura will be gone and they will be taxed like never before!

Re: tariffs... - 06/27/18 01:20 AM

Its all good, we are having a hoot watching and listening to the rants of a lunatic, and his minions repeating everything he fabricates in his mind. BANANA's

So are we !!! That Trudeau is something else !!

Re: tariffs... - 06/27/18 02:14 AM

So are we !!! That Trudeau is something else !!

Isn't that Truewhoo there on Trumps right??

Osky

Re: tariffs... - 06/27/18 02:18 AM

I think so !

Re: tariffs... - 06/27/18 02:51 AM

If tarrifs reduce the amount of foreign goods the Clinton's sell in Walmart it's all good. More Americans with money to spend it in Canada. Win, win.

Now if Trump gets around to dumping Obamas Marine Mammal Protection Act. Americans can come to Canada to hunt polar bear.

Re: tariffs... - 06/27/18 03:21 AM

MMPA was enacted long before Odungo came on the scene

Re: tariffs... - 06/27/18 10:34 AM

Originally Posted By: Osky
Isn't that Truewhoo there on Trumps right??

Osky

Can't be, no fake eyebrows...

Or maybe they've already fallen off

Re: tariffs... - 06/27/18 12:43 PM

They're cracking already with only threats of raising our tariffs on them.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20180620/RETAIL/180629981/trump-tariff-germany-trade-bmw-mercedes

Our news orgs. are ignoring this news.
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: tariffs... - 06/27/18 01:01 PM

lol

Re: tariffs... - 06/27/18 06:51 PM

Yes I know it came in before Obamas. I was really disappointed when Bush Jr. Did not have the guys to kill it. All his buddies love going to Tuktoyaktuk to hunt polar bear. Americans are 150% bigger tree hugger, hippies than Canada

Re: tariffs... - 06/27/18 06:53 PM

But back to topic if traps started being made in the USA using Oneida NY steel would you pay $100.00 a trap or wait for the democrats to get in and by traps made in Vietnam for $46.00?
Posted By: langenc

Re: tariffs... - 06/27/18 07:04 PM

[quot

e=hippie]We didn't break anything Boco. Read the rules of NAFTA. [/quote]

As Trump said couple months ago=--"worst treaty ever signed." But what can we expect from Clinton??

My US Senator campaigned 6 rs ago to stop all the Canadian trash (how did that ever get to be free trade???)coming in at Port Huron. She is up again. Wonder what she campaigns this time.

Most manufacturing went away to cheaper labor. What happened to price?? Very little decrease..

Re: tariffs... - 06/28/18 12:47 AM

Lister motorsports from Whitehorse was just on the news. They are buying as many American made boats as they can. Before the 10% tarrifs kicks in. They say Canadian manufacturers can't meet the demand.
Posted By: Hartman

Re: tariffs... - 06/28/18 01:09 AM

Lets not drop the gloves just quite yet. I would trade you Trump for Trudeau and I will throw in our minister of defence and out minister of public safety....you look em up on google and see what we have.
As for the tarrifs I agree with trump.....no tarrifs what so ever...free trade, but you see we have Trudeau as our so called leader and he is a numpty who is more concerned with his sock choice than our country. Our reason for the dairy tarrifs is called supply management here in Canada....basically a government cartel that guarantees our dairy farmers free money....and who do you think came up with supply management and the 270 % tarrifs on dairy...our second worst prime minister in history...Pierrre Ellliot Trudeau...Justins Dad...Justin being our worst prime minister..Its hard for people that live inland away from our borders to see the importance of trade between our countries....I am a dealer for a outdoor furnace made in Minnesota and this whole trade thing scares me... Canada will lose big time... I live very close to I falls MN and have many friends across the ditch, many neighbours here that own property on my lake where I live and it sucks to see people that live inland away from borders both sides that are experts on trade... I do know that a strong USA is very important to Canada and our only salvation is in Oct 2019 Trudeau will be out and Andrew Scheer will be in....Libeals and the left are a scourge to both our countries...oh yes and our big thing here is you can smoke pot in October. legally to me a disgrace...If I cross ifalls into fort frances and happen to have a gallon of milk or some great Wisconsin cheese im more in trouble than crossing with an ounce of coke....its a a sad state of affairs

Re: tariffs... - 06/28/18 01:15 AM

and sorry about some of the spelling... I am not illiterate just a bit emotional on some of these topics and my fingers go faster than my central processing unit

Re: tariffs... - 06/29/18 04:34 AM

It's good this thread is done: what have we learned from it:
Trump is #1 no question on that.

The Clinton's and there Walmart products are lame

Americans have a weird fascination with Trudue

If tarrifs create more manufacturing jobs then it's all good. Especially if it sticks it to Walmart and the Clintons.

The Marine Mammal Protection Act and it's hippie dope loving American sponsors should be abolished.

America First is good for everyone as a high tide floats all boats

Bush was a chicken

Americans should put America first and buy fur. Then we would not need Russia or China trappers will get good prices and drag Canadians right along with them.

Good three guys. Except that guy from Ontario (not) Boco. He's a weird guy.

Re: tariffs... - 06/30/18 12:12 AM

Originally Posted By: muskrat411

Good three guys. Except that guy from Ontario (not) Boco. He's a weird guy.

Now Wait Just One Cotton Picking Minute, Muskrat !!

Are You Implying That BOCO Is Not Weird ?

Seriously ?

w
Posted By: kingrat

Re: tariffs... - 06/30/18 05:01 AM

Well canada hit back with our own tariffs starting July 1. Pile of stuff, ketchup, orange juice. Gonna hurt more than it will help anyone I think.

Re: tariffs... - 06/30/18 11:17 AM

Originally Posted By: kingrat
Well canada hit back with our own tariffs starting July 1. Pile of stuff, ketchup, orange juice. Gonna hurt more than it will help anyone I think.

We Should Put A 100% Tariff On Unsolicited Advice From BOCO, The Uppity Canadian !!! laugh

w
Posted By: pcr2

Re: tariffs... - 06/30/18 11:21 AM

Boco rides a moped
Posted By: Getting There

Re: tariffs... - 06/30/18 11:23 AM

How about all the garbage they truck into Michigan every day!

Re: tariffs... - 06/30/18 01:16 PM

79 things in total so far I think. So now because we have two morons running the best two countries on earth I have to pay more for toilet paper....nice.

Re: tariffs... - 06/30/18 01:18 PM

And for the record I would trade our moron for your moron in a heart beat. We'd even throw in boco,,,How's that for a trade deal lol.

Re: tariffs... - 07/01/18 12:18 AM

And for the record I would trade our moron for your moron in a heart beat. We'd even throw in boco,,,How's that for a trade deal lol.

I'd Feel Cheated.

Instead, Send BOCO To Siberia To The Gulag Archipelago !!!

w

Re: tariffs... - 07/01/18 11:18 PM

One of the not so good side effects of lowering the trade deficits is that very wealthy countries like the USA have a lot of money and using that overseas to bring in products we no longer can or want to make will keep the money here which will raise the costs of imports and may raise wages or incomes which may well increase inflation rates as there will be ample money to buy higher priced or even fewer goods and that may be a larger cost than sending money overseas to create production that we can purchase at lower prices and keep our dollar stronger and worth more in the world market which will help us maintain higher levels of wealth and being the larger financial center.

Bryce

Re: tariffs... - 07/02/18 01:16 AM

Originally Posted By: bblwi
One of the not so good side effects of lowering the trade deficits is that very wealthy countries like the USA have a lot of money and using that overseas to bring in products we no longer can or want to make will keep the money here which will raise the costs of imports and may raise wages or incomes which may well increase inflation rates as there will be ample money to buy higher priced or even fewer goods and that may be a larger cost than sending money overseas to create production that we can purchase at lower prices and keep our dollar stronger and worth more in the world market which will help us maintain higher levels of wealth and being the larger financial center.

Bryce

I think it goes without saying that higher wages lead to inflation. The true test would be to see how purchasing power changes for individuals.

Re: tariffs... - 07/02/18 01:35 AM

Originally Posted By: Tweed

Bryce

I think it goes without saying that higher wages lead to inflation. The true test would be to see how purchasing power changes for individuals.

In most instances I would agree with you Tweed. But......if increased wages are accompanied by increased productivity, it doesn't always have to result in inflation. It usually will, but I don't think it "goes without saying".

As Bryce points out, a stronger dollar will encourage capital investment in the United States, from abroad. That's a good thing. Unfortunately, the President is in the process of restricting that capital inflow.

I think the thing we need to be aware of is the collision course of higher interest rates and declining benefits from the recent corporate tax rate reduction. Eventually those two lines will cross. When they do it will disrupt all markets.....probably just in time for the 2020 elections.
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: tariffs... - 07/02/18 03:01 AM

Higher wages do not lead to inflation. One of the biggest reasons to have a large trade deficit is to export the countries inflation.

Re: tariffs... - 07/02/18 05:28 AM

Boco is not weird as far as I know. Ontario beaver trapper gets a lot of respect.
That other guy who don't like Trudue a real weird egg. Trudue has done good. He supported pipelines. Legal weed is going to taxable glory hole he even gave the price of fur a bump when he used coyote trim in his Christmas card. So you coyote guys can send our PM a virtual high five.

Re: tariffs... - 07/02/18 10:51 AM

says the guy who lives in a liberal riding and gets pennies from heaven. Trudeau is a detriment to Canada.
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: tariffs... - 07/02/18 11:20 AM

Originally Posted By: Tweed

Bryce

Unions raise wages = good
Trump raises wages=bad?????????
Posted By: grampy

Re: tariffs... - 07/02/18 02:35 PM

Right on Hartman. As for Muskrat$11 I recall reading one of his posts which demonstrated (in my opinion) his racist views and expectations for being native.

Re: tariffs... - 07/03/18 09:14 PM

Come on now Grampy your just jealous of the free gas we get.
You know Trudue is the best thing to happen to Canada! Wait until the legal weed Glory Hole of taxes starts pouring in.
Hopefully they use it to make roads, bridges and other infrastructure. Not spend it on social programs. Goodness knows we have enough of those. Increases to old age pension not included.
He also believes in Canada building and put the governments money where his mouth was on Trans Mountain.
He stands up to trump on tarrifs like no bodies business.
Tarrifs would not even be an issue if people would put there fellow Canadians or Americans first and buy products made in country. Instead of buying product from the Clintons made by starving children in Asia.
Lets make North America Great Again
Also N Americans buy fur! Trappers will pump up the economy if you do.
It really is surprising how many hippies there are on T-Man

Re: tariffs... - 07/18/18 07:27 PM

New deal: We will give you Justin and all of Quebec, and you keep Trump. We're keeping Boco

Re: tariffs... - 07/18/18 10:31 PM

We'll keep Trump, you can keep the rest.

Re: tariffs... - 07/18/18 11:01 PM

We'll give you trump and you keep Quebec and your leader. It could be a start in making North America great.

Re: tariffs... - 07/18/18 11:03 PM

Take grackl, couldn't hurt.

Re: tariffs... - 07/18/18 11:23 PM

Let's just cut to the chase and even it out. Your country charges 10%, our country charges 10%. Across the board tariffs. Governments get their 10% vig, and we all get along. Thank you.

Osky

Re: tariffs... - 07/18/18 11:50 PM

Take grackle and about 5 million other libs. Now that would go a long way towards making America great again!

Re: tariffs... - 07/18/18 11:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Osky
Let's just cut to the chase and even it out. Your country charges 10%, our country charges 10%. Across the board tariffs. Governments get their 10% vig, and we all get along. Thank you.

Osky

Trump suggested no tariffs at the G-7, there were no takers...
Posted By: ringtailtrapper

Re: tariffs... - 07/19/18 12:24 AM

[/quote]

We Should Put A 100% Tariff On Unsolicited Advice From BOCO, The Uppity Canadian !!! laugh

w [/quote]

I will agree with that, but we have to double it to 200% laugh

RTT

Re: tariffs... - 07/19/18 08:36 PM

Take lug and rat and the others who hold the very un-American belief that all Americans must think alike.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums