Home

Be careful in this heat

Posted By: Scuba1

Be careful in this heat - 06/30/18 11:15 PM

I was working on a inboard boat engine today and it was hot in that compartment. I felt myself go dizzy and just about made it out of there into the " fresh " air .... 97F outside felt pleasant. Thats the downside of working alone. If ya pass out in this heat, no one there to laugh at you and throw ya a wet towel.
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Be careful in this heat - 06/30/18 11:23 PM

Good advice, Michael

. Too bad there are areas that don't cool off at night...working then, if possible, would be a bit more comfortable .
Posted By: NebrCatMan

Re: Be careful in this heat - 06/30/18 11:32 PM

I got up this morn at around sun up. Went to mow with my push mower. I mowed pretty mush for an hour and a half. Took a break. Back to mow for another hour and a half. It was rally not that hot to start but it warmed up really fast. The humidity was super high. Went thru 3 shirts (totally soaked with sweat). Went in the cabin around 11 am. Really was wore out. I am trying to stay in shape best I can cause I am planning on chasing elk up high in Colorado this fall.... the Good Lord willing. Fairly hot here, and with the humidity it makes it kinda a bear working in the hot sun. A breeze and some shade is always welcomed!!!!
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Be careful in this heat - 07/01/18 12:09 AM

I processed two truckloads of firewood this morning before it got too hot. The humidity was so high I was drenched in sweat anyhow. Spent the rest of the day relaxing in the AC and swimming.

Gotta go back for the last load tomorrow morning.
Posted By: Scout1

Re: Be careful in this heat - 07/01/18 03:13 AM

Once a heat casualty always a heat casualty!!! Remember to drink plenty of water when working in the heat.
Posted By: adam m

Re: Be careful in this heat - 07/01/18 04:13 AM

glad you are ok Scuba1.
Yup gotta take it easy, drink lots of water and electrolytes in this heat.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Be careful in this heat - 07/01/18 01:39 PM

Once you get heat stroke it can happen easier to get I hear. Og had to watch the heat, he told me one time he nearly didn't make it back to the truck

Re: Be careful in this heat - 07/01/18 03:04 PM

I am usually pretty good working in the warm conditions here. But I just overdid it as I wanted to take today off and get my to do list worked down for that. Should take a break now and then to drink something and get out of the heat. Its easy to for get though. hence the post as a little reminder for everyone working out there
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Be careful in this heat - 07/01/18 03:17 PM

Last time I was sick from heat I drank plenty of water before and during the hot job. Couple hours in a house with no open windows, 95 degrees outside, probably a 100 degrees inside, next day I was worthless till about noon
My shirt n jeans were soaked with sweat past the top of my legs

Re: Be careful in this heat - 07/01/18 05:27 PM

Just water does not do it...... I am at the moment trying to find out how many electrolytes there are in cold beer .......cheers laugh
Posted By: Abu65

Re: Be careful in this heat - 07/01/18 06:27 PM

I keep a cooler of water and gatorade all the time. Also if I think I am starting to get too hot I will take ice cubes or a rag dunked in my cooler and put it on my wrist and neck. Your blood is closest to the surface in those areas and it really helps to cool you down.
Posted By: Canvasback2

Re: Be careful in this heat - 07/01/18 06:53 PM

Got the front and back yards mowed. It's a hot one today !
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: Be careful in this heat - 07/01/18 08:31 PM

I processed horseradish today. My hands are hot even though I wore nitrile gloves, well most of the time.
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: Be careful in this heat - 07/01/18 08:45 PM

I knew a very strange farmer. When he cut hay on the hottest days of summer, he was on the tractor completely naked and got horrible sunburn. He did the same thing every year - said he was trying to commit suicide by sunburn.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Be careful in this heat - 07/01/18 09:05 PM

heard Tarzan called in cause of the heat.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Be careful in this heat - 07/01/18 09:17 PM

I mowed for around 4 hours earlier today. I still have to pick up my entire first cutting of hay off the ground and load it in one of my trucks and trailers and store it in two barns. I think I am going to wait a few hours and hope it cools down.

Keith
Posted By: Abu65

Re: Be careful in this heat - 07/01/18 09:23 PM

We would always load late and unload at daylight.
Posted By: EdP

Re: Be careful in this heat - 07/01/18 11:45 PM

Did my 3 mile run starting at 8:30 this am. If you don't keep doing your workouts when it's hot, how can you expect to have any stamina in the heat? Still, you should be careful not to over do it.
Posted By: Marty

Re: Be careful in this heat - 07/02/18 12:59 AM

Any day its hot my work clothes are drenched in sweat. Just need to be aware and careful. Breaks and day's off as needed.

I usually wear a heavy 100% cotton shirt that absorbs the sweat and that helps wick away body heat.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums