Home

Prairie dog meat based bait???

Posted By: Skunking

Prairie dog meat based bait??? - 07/02/18 12:49 AM

Trapping alot of prairie dog towns with a bunch of yotes and quite a few badgers. Was considering making my own bait using prairie dog meat with a few other scents mixed in, and wondered if anyone had tried this or had any tips on trapping in/ around prairie dogs. Thanks for any info fellas!
Posted By: Monster Toms

Re: Prairie dog meat based bait??? - 07/02/18 01:09 AM

At the rate the plague runs through p dogs I wouldn't risk handling them for bait. There are better options.
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: Prairie dog meat based bait??? - 07/02/18 01:14 AM

Don't use poly fill or fiberglass screen pan covers they dig it up and take it.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Prairie dog meat based bait??? - 07/02/18 02:55 AM

Snakes love P-dog towns they move a lot in the spring and the fall!
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Prairie dog meat based bait??? - 07/02/18 08:57 AM

all good advice above. pick up dead ones with pliers. put them in Walmart bags in your truck bed. freeze them for a few days. kills fleas without adding any unwanted smells. wear gloves when handling them. sodium benzoate kills plague also when you get to that stage. they make a great bait. for just about everything.

Re: Prairie dog meat based bait??? - 07/02/18 10:49 PM

Thanks for the input fellas. As far as the fleas go im not concerned with them because I kill the fleas for a living for the forest service. I can just spray the dogs with odorless flea powder. As far as odors go I had planned on skinning them anyway. Just didnt know if a bait matching the main food source in the areas I trap would make enough of a difference to mess with.

Re: Prairie dog meat based bait??? - 07/02/18 10:57 PM

I had planned on tainting some of the meat and mixing some fresh with the tainted and then putting in some castor/gland scent? Any reccomendations on other scents to add to the meat for coyote and badger?? Thanks in advance. Have trapped a bit but never made any bait so any help is appreciated.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums