Home

Shopping Auto Insurance

Posted By: Chamacat

Shopping Auto Insurance - 07/10/18 07:38 PM

Well..It was my fault..I had a run in with a steel gate..OK..So I get my premium payment and it has went up over $327.00 for a year...SO..I'm going to have to shop for a new auto policy..Full coverage..for one year..Are you happy with your company?..Could anyone suggest a good auto company?..What do you do when shopping for auto insurance?..

Yep..I made a bad decision that day with the gate..I just don't think I should pay thru the nose on my little mistake..LOL
Posted By: TreedaBlackdog

Re: Shopping Auto Insurance - 07/10/18 08:04 PM

Safeco for us - they were the cheapest cover our house as well but not the farm
Posted By: 080808

Re: Shopping Auto Insurance - 07/10/18 08:34 PM

2X on home and auto combined but most importantly get a quote from an independent agent. I.e. an agent who represents more than one company.
Posted By: NEYotetrapper

Re: Shopping Auto Insurance - 07/10/18 08:50 PM

Go with an independent agent that will do the price shopping for you. Cut our home insurance premium in half and significantly reduced the auto policies cost a couple of years ago when we did that. Nationwide is our insurer now and I have no complaints.
Posted By: corky

Re: Shopping Auto Insurance - 07/10/18 08:52 PM

I have Erie for everything and am quite happy with them.

Re: Shopping Auto Insurance - 07/10/18 08:54 PM

Safeco/Liberty Mutual just gave me a quote $948.00 more than the existing policy..I'll keep moving on..But thanks for the advice I tried it..
Posted By: 080808

Re: Shopping Auto Insurance - 07/10/18 08:58 PM

Here in NY those are NOT independent agents!
Posted By: Niteblaster

Re: Shopping Auto Insurance - 07/10/18 09:38 PM

I left Progressive paying $1800 and change a year for 3 vehicles to go to NYCM insurance and for the same coverage, premiums and deductibles my rate with NYCM was only $960 a year. Do not count on your agent to find you the best and cheapest company they insisted Progressive was the cheapest company out there and printed off 3 other quotes Farmer's, Nationwide and Allstate I believe regardless the 3 they printed were all more than Progressive. I called different places myself and asked family members who they had thats how I found this company. My Insurance agency actually handles my NYCM policy also which was a slap in the face when I found out they told me they checked and Progressive was the cheapest I was sure to let them know I did the work to find this company and if the agency wasn't on my street they would have lost my business.
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: Shopping Auto Insurance - 07/10/18 09:48 PM

Erie for me also, home and auto. Other agents with other companies have told me they couldn’t come near the rates I now pay. I have American Collectors insuring 2 Chevelles, $182 a year for both cars.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Shopping Auto Insurance - 07/10/18 10:58 PM

Progressive never goes down never could figure how a new vehicle 4 years later cost more then when it was new!
Posted By: tjm

Re: Shopping Auto Insurance - 07/10/18 11:25 PM

Find an independent agent.
Ours put us with Allied/Nationwide as the lowest price many years ago and I've shopped that policy with a dozen or more other agents and none could get close.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Shopping Auto Insurance - 07/11/18 12:03 AM

Good luck! You're a good SOB until you file a claim, then you're just a SOB.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Shopping Auto Insurance - 07/11/18 12:08 AM

one stop shopping. they have all my insurance. if you buy several policys they really get cheap. had a house fire about 8 years ago. put us up in a local motel, paid meals got the house repaired. stuff that had to be replaced like clothes and stuff I had to buy out of pocket, turn in receipts, then get reimbursed. was a royal pain but im told they all do that.

https://www.shelterinsurance.com/?&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIguqm9t-V3AIVULjACh3NcwqkEAAYASAAEgJjJvD_BwE

Re: Shopping Auto Insurance - 07/11/18 12:54 AM

Yep..From the few calls I was able to make today..Will generate a few more tomorrow..LOL
Posted By: charles

Re: Shopping Auto Insurance - 07/11/18 03:26 AM

Amica cut my premiums in half when the wife had a 280Z a long time ago.
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: Shopping Auto Insurance - 07/11/18 06:27 AM

We have ours with the Hartford because I like the elk in their logo. Just kidding.

I shopped around and finally learned a trick. Wife joined AARP which gave us access to their carrier (Hartford) with AARP group rates and discounts. For the same coverage, the annual premium went from $3,600 to $1,200.

They have what they call a disappearing deductible. For every year without a claim, a significant amount of the deductible is removed.

So far so good.

Best wishes in your quest!
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Shopping Auto Insurance - 07/11/18 09:01 AM

aarp supports a lot of political and animal rights stuff. I don't think ill give them any money
Posted By: Kart29

Re: Shopping Auto Insurance - 07/11/18 10:50 AM

If you have had a chargeable accident in the past three years - that is the worst time to try to find lower insurance premiums. Insurance companies usually charge more to new customers with recent accidents than they do existing customers with recent accidents. Everybody's situation is different. You can shop around now and see what you can find, but usually you will do much better by waiting until 3 years after your accident and then looking for a lower rate. Auto insurance companies are reluctant to take on new customers who have been in an accident recently. That's one reason your existing company can usually get away with increasing rates for an accident without losing the customer.

I would suggest getting quotes from a couple of good local independent agents. Erie is good. So is Cincinnati Insurance Co. But they may not offer you coverage at any price if you have recently had an accident. State Farm is one of the best of the captive agent companies.

I would recommend against Progressive or GEICO. There is a reason they are cheap and it's not because of all the money they save on their advertising programs. They hire entry level employees throughout the company and have very inexperienced adjusters and generally not the most motivated employees.
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: Shopping Auto Insurance - 07/11/18 11:21 AM

I was unaware that aarp panders to the animal rights terrorists. I am not surprised because their material seems to be directed to pathetic sappy old people.
Posted By: whartonrattrappe

Re: Shopping Auto Insurance - 07/11/18 11:46 AM

Originally Posted By: Niteblaster
I left Progressive paying $1800 and change a year for 3 vehicles to go to NYCM insurance and for the same coverage, premiums and deductibles my rate with NYCM was only $960 a year. Do not count on your agent to find you the best and cheapest company they insisted Progressive was the cheapest company out there and printed off 3 other quotes Farmer's, Nationwide and Allstate I believe regardless the 3 they printed were all more than Progressive. I called different places myself and asked family members who they had thats how I found this company. My Insurance agency actually handles my NYCM policy also which was a slap in the face when I found out they told me they checked and Progressive was the cheapest I was sure to let them know I did the work to find this company and if the agency wasn't on my street they would have lost my business.

I had the same issue as you, I changed agents from Steven Harter to Gates-Cole and my insurance went from $1800 with Progressive to $625 With Preffered Mutual. After I changed Harter called and said I found you ins. for $1170 I said no thanks and he said I thought you would be happy. I said happy that you stuck it in my behind for the last 10 years!

Now my blood is boiling again...I should have bypassed this thread. mad
Posted By: l1ranger

Re: Shopping Auto Insurance - 07/11/18 11:56 AM

your paying $327 a year for full coverage? - I'm not sure you'll be able to beat that.

Re: Shopping Auto Insurance - 07/11/18 12:04 PM

Yep..Due to the accident the carrier raised my premium up $327.00 from what it was last year. It's like someone else said on this thread, Everything is fine until one has a claim. We have insurance in hopes that we may never see a need to use it. That's why it's insurance. Then when we need to apply our policy against an incident, the insurance company has a right to cancel you or raise coverage on the same amount as before the claim. What kinda gets me already is that I can go to two insurance company's two blocks apart and can get two quotes $936.00 apart.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Shopping Auto Insurance - 07/11/18 01:30 PM

I save a lot of money with farm bureau insurance, my commercial policy on my truck is around 50$ a month, million dollar coverage on my business for 35$ a month
AARP indorced stupid obummmer care
Posted By: charles

Re: Shopping Auto Insurance - 07/11/18 02:49 PM

I dont like AARP either but they saved me money on my Medicare Supplement plan.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Shopping Auto Insurance - 07/11/18 09:00 PM

USAA. And aarp made public statements that Srs should not own guns. Bout 20 yrs ago. Dad withdrew his 1/4 mil investments the next day.

Re: Shopping Auto Insurance - 07/11/18 09:32 PM

Multi-policy discount will save you money. My wife has been an agent for 17 years. Stuff varies from state to state also.

Re: Shopping Auto Insurance - 07/11/18 10:08 PM

Yep..So a couple of places have offered my a "Drive-O-Smart Plan"..What this is a 100 day gizmo that connects to the computer port of the truck or car. At the end of the 100 days you can get a report of driving habits that you did. Then the data is transfered into a point system which may reduce your premium from 7%-#30% discount. After reading the 7 page privacy statement and who all is entitled to the data. I don't think I want to go down that path..LOL

Re: Shopping Auto Insurance - 07/12/18 12:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Chamacat
Yep..So a couple of places have offered my a "Drive-O-Smart Plan"..What this is a 100 day gizmo that connects to the computer port of the truck or car. At the end of the 100 days you can get a report of driving habits that you did. Then the data is transfered into a point system which may reduce your premium from 7%-#30% discount. After reading the 7 page privacy statement and who all is entitled to the data. I don't think I want to go down that path..LOL

That's almost as bad as my last employer, who had a dash-cam trained on the driver that would back up and film the driver's previous 10 seconds every time you hit a bump. They lost a lot of drivers over that one.
Posted By: seniortrap

Re: Shopping Auto Insurance - 07/12/18 01:19 PM

Its interesting how laws for driving and insurance companies work together.

Example: Said insurance company has been paying out for coverages and is losing money(according to them).

Now you hire people to pursue as lobbyists to have the law changed to require insurance on sure items that You and I need. (automobile)

They get the law changed and your premium on that item goes up. Plus its required BY LAW!

That's Michigan's NO FAULT law . And the insurance can only be purchased inside Michigan from an agent from said company.

Sounds like the ACA (O.B. care). Basically the same concept.

They say, "its for everybody's good)! "NO". It benefits all the insurance companies.

Re: Shopping Auto Insurance - 07/12/18 08:12 PM

My wife has us with Allied.....multi-policy discount. I don't think all companies are represented in all states either though.

Re: Shopping Auto Insurance - 07/12/18 08:36 PM

Yep..That is exactly right..For Instance Eerie Insurance is NOT in New Mexico..
© 2024 Trapperman Forums