Home

Ruger No. 1 discontinued?

Posted By: James

Ruger No. 1 discontinued? - 07/11/18 09:37 AM

There have been rumors for several years that Ruger may be discontinuing its beautiful No. 1 rifle. Anyone know of the truth about this?

Jim
Posted By: trapperchris

Re: Ruger No. 1 discontinued? - 07/11/18 10:18 AM

Three or four years ago they stopped standard production of the No.1. Now they pick a caliber or two every year for a limited production run and that's your choice/s for that run. Same with the International line. Unless a distributor, like Lipsey's, commissions a caliber, it's pretty limited now days. Used No.1's, around here, have really been bringing a solid price and I only see them at auctions. Very rarely in a store or for sale privately.
Posted By: w side rd 151

Re: Ruger No. 1 discontinued? - 07/11/18 11:17 AM

I hope that does not happen . I always thought that the Ruger #1 is in a category of it's own in todays world of mass production. Certainly not everyone would want one and even fewer would want to use one for hunting purposes .The popular choice today is the semi automatic or a bolt action with some type of fiberglass stock .This is not meant to be critical of todays firearms .Just that times change and often profitability determines what is produced .The Ruger #1 is a large part of what makes them different from many of the other modern firearms makers
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Ruger No. 1 discontinued? - 07/11/18 11:24 AM

i call mine the "decider".220 with a bull barrel and 12x Burris.wife thought she wanted to fall turkey hunt but after carrying that for an hour,she -decided-huntin wasn't her thing. laugh
Posted By: PaRay

Re: Ruger No. 1 discontinued? - 07/11/18 11:26 AM

I have a Ruger #1 in a 7mm Rem Mag. Love that gun
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: Ruger No. 1 discontinued? - 07/11/18 11:26 AM

I agree that the No. 1 is unique. I had one that was fantastic. I regret trading it for something for my son. I would like to have one in .45-70 or .45-90 or .45-120. The latter would be very fun!
Posted By: 160user

Re: Ruger No. 1 discontinued? - 07/11/18 11:50 AM

I have been picking up a few as I find them and they are great little rifles. I have a 275 Rigby in a No. 1 that is NIB, a few 7x57’s, 300 H&H, 30-06, etc. I sure wish the newer ones had wood like the old red pad ones!
Posted By: Chamacat

Re: Ruger No. 1 discontinued? - 07/11/18 12:06 PM

Yep..I heard the same..
Posted By: minklessinpa

Re: Ruger No. 1 discontinued? - 07/11/18 03:38 PM

mine is in 45/70. thumper has wacked many a deer!

Re: Ruger No. 1 discontinued? - 07/11/18 09:48 PM

Originally Posted By: 160user
I have been picking up a few as I find them and they are great little rifles. I have a 275 Rigby in a No. 1 that is NIB, a few 7x57’s, 300 H&H, 30-06, etc. I sure wish the newer ones had wood like the old red pad ones!

I agree with you. The older ones also don't have that silly notch in the fore grip, whatever that's for.

Jim

Re: Ruger No. 1 discontinued? - 07/11/18 10:26 PM

Originally Posted By: James

I agree with you. The older ones also don't have that silly notch in the fore grip, whatever that's for.

Jim

The notch is a Midwest thing. It fits over the power window on the drivers side window. grin
Posted By: coonlove

Re: Ruger No. 1 discontinued? - 07/11/18 11:23 PM

Jim

That Alexander Henry forearm has been around a long while. Mine is 30 plus years old.
160-how does your .275 Rigby differ from your 7x57? Thought they were English and Metric designations of the same cartridge.
Posted By: trapperchris

Re: Ruger No. 1 discontinued? - 07/12/18 12:29 AM

They're the same thing coonlove. The 275 Rigby designation was another one of the special runs. And if I remember correctly, the Alexander Henry's were all in the N0.1 A series. Matter of fact, I think I have a couple of boxes of Hornady 275 Rigby I picked up a few years back. I have a 7x57 Mk1 that I dig out and shoot a few rounds thru every few years. I've never hunted with it but it shoots ok.
Posted By: coonlove

Re: Ruger No. 1 discontinued? - 07/12/18 12:36 AM

Thanks trapperchris, I thought that was the case. I have a Ruger m77 in 7x57. It's kilt a bear and a couple deer-tips them over nicely. The No 1 was based on the British Farquarson single shot that was a favorite of Bill Ruger. Be a shame to see them go by the wayside. The young guys I see at the range are only interested in how fast they can empty the magazine.

Re: Ruger No. 1 discontinued? - 07/12/18 03:37 AM

Yes, I have several different 7x57’s in Rugers and Remington’s but one marked 275 Rigby was just cute.

Re: Ruger No. 1 discontinued? - 07/12/18 05:25 AM

I have an old one with red recoil pad, no notch, nice wood, in .25-06. No. 1-B, I believe. The wood is better than any of the new ones I've seen, but I honestly think the fit and finish is better on the newer versions.

Also have a newer No. 1 in stainless/laminated in .405 Win, but haven't fired it yet. The Tropical version.

Jim
Posted By: trapper les

Re: Ruger No. 1 discontinued? - 07/12/18 11:30 AM

I don't know this notch of which you speak. Mine is a 25-06, semi bull barrel, and I bought it new in 2004. No red pad .
Posted By: w8n4rut

Re: Ruger No. 1 discontinued? - 07/12/18 01:59 PM

I think the notch is the forearm which would be a Alex henry 1-A or 1-S with open sights. I own a few #1's. I just had a #1B re-barreled last year with a 28'' #7 shilen ratchet super match barrel in 30-378 wby.
Posted By: HawkCreek

Re: Ruger No. 1 discontinued? - 07/12/18 05:07 PM

I've got a No. 1B I picked up years ago. Found it on consignment at a local-ish gunstore on consignment. It was Mag-Na-Port'ed, had a Pachmayr Decelerator pad professionally installed and was topped with a nice Leupold. I paid $650 out the door for the whole set up, it was a lot of money for me at the time but new No. 1's were going for more than that so I figure I made out pretty well. I'm not sure what load the previous owner was shooting but when I got it out to the range the first time it was shooting over 12" high!
Posted By: TraderVic

Re: Ruger No. 1 discontinued? - 07/12/18 07:28 PM

Regarding Ruger #1's for sale........check the links below. Lipsey's is a distributor that contracts with Ruger (and other manufacture-ers) to make non production models (or exclusive guns) for them. They usually have them made in small lots of 250-500 only. Very limited production.

http://lipseys.com/itemfinder.aspx?items=exclusives

http://lipseys.com/itemfinder.aspx?items=talo

Re: Ruger No. 1 discontinued? - 07/14/18 02:50 AM

Here's an example of one with a notch. https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-f...un_id=101028625

All of the new ones seem to come with the notch.

TraderVic, those Lipseys links say they only sell wholesale to FFL holders.

Jim
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: Ruger No. 1 discontinued? - 07/14/18 04:23 AM

James - you arrange with a FFL holder to refer from Lipsey. Your local FFL holder receives the gun and does the paperwork transferring the gun to you.

Lipsey has a nice No. 1 in stainless and .45-70. I think I prefer that gun in blued, but would like to see a stainless model.

Best wishes.
Posted By: trapper les

Re: Ruger No. 1 discontinued? - 07/14/18 04:30 AM

I think mine looks like the one in the pic.
Posted By: TraderVic

Re: Ruger No. 1 discontinued? - 07/14/18 11:03 AM

Here's an example of one with a notch. https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-f...un_id=101028625

All of the new ones seem to come with the notch.

TraderVic, those Lipseys links say they only sell wholesale to FFL holders.

Jim

James,

Yes - Lipsey's is a distributor, not a retailer. On the Lipsey's website you can check for dealers in your area and order through them. Very easy as I have purchased several Rugers this way.

Vic
© 2024 Trapperman Forums