Home

Cost of blacktopping

Posted By: beeman

Cost of blacktopping - 07/11/18 06:58 PM

Does anyone have an idea what the cost of blacktopping a driveway is per yard of asphalt in Iowa, South Dakota, or southern Minnesota? Thanks
Posted By: frank1969

Re: Cost of blacktopping - 07/11/18 08:26 PM

Goes by the ton
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: Cost of blacktopping - 07/11/18 09:58 PM

Roughly $3.50 per square foot, applied 3” thick. That includes prepping driveway with a decent existing base. These are prices in Pa.
Posted By: hippie

Re: Cost of blacktopping - 07/11/18 10:11 PM

I know i got sticker-shock when i priced it.

Limestone it was.
Posted By: Scout1

Re: Cost of blacktopping - 07/12/18 01:01 AM

If you're just redoing existing blacktop before it gets too bad, does the price go down much?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Cost of blacktopping - 07/12/18 01:28 AM

Beeman, get several quotes from different paving outfits. They do charge by the ton laid. I retired after 30 yrs of laying asphalt, I have nightmares about it still, lol. If you want a quick reference to how many ton you'll need, take measurements of your drive. Take length x width x depth ÷ 12 ÷ 13.5 and that will give you a close estimate on tonnage.
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Cost of blacktopping - 07/12/18 01:29 AM

Originally Posted By: hippie

Limestone it was.

laugh
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Cost of blacktopping - 07/12/18 10:22 AM

in Michigan they will tax paved drive way every year it is add to your house tax
Posted By: LDW

Re: Cost of blacktopping - 07/12/18 11:09 AM

Try to be there when they lay it. Around here we get some of those crews that travel the area, then leave for a new area. They are famous for charging for 3in. but only laying 1.5in. They have screwed over a lot of people through the years. Got my dad as well as the place I now live. An old lady lived here before me, mix is only 1in. in my driveway and breaking up bad. Just make sure you get what you pay for.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Cost of blacktopping - 07/12/18 11:12 AM

i cant wait to take up the blacktop and put in crushed limestone at my grandparents house next door.
Posted By: On a Call

Re: Cost of blacktopping - 07/12/18 11:47 AM

Originally Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren
in Michigan they will tax paved drive way every year it is add to your house tax

Only if they catch you wink
Posted By: frank1969

Re: Cost of blacktopping - 07/12/18 11:51 AM

Blee who did u work for, I'm with Shelly and sands. Night paving interstate 80 by Youngstown
Posted By: On a Call

Re: Cost of blacktopping - 07/12/18 11:54 AM

Originally Posted By: frank1969
Blee who did u work for, I'm with Shelly and sands. Night paving interstate 80 by Youngstown

Pa or ohio ??

Drove that stretch often...family lives near Beaver.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Cost of blacktopping - 07/12/18 04:30 PM

Originally Posted By: frank1969

Frank, I worked for Hancock asphalt for 23 yrs until Shelly bought them out. So I worked for Shelly for a few years but got tired of driving all over the state. Short stint with Koko then settled in to a local small outfit that had me home every night. I did like the night paving though, lot cooler but more dangerous. Good luck
Posted By: Nittany Lion

Re: Cost of blacktopping - 07/12/18 08:28 PM

Originally Posted By: hippie

Limestone it was.

Don't be so cheap, use your fur check to get it paved.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums