Home

Hunting with Pack Llamas

Posted By: cat_trapper_nv

Hunting with Pack Llamas - 07/12/18 02:33 AM

If you haven’t tried it, you need too. You should check out my buddies vlog who runs a llama guide business. Me and him got a few pack llamas when we were going to college to use for elk hunting and he has since turned in into a full time business.

Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Hunting with Pack Llamas - 07/12/18 02:47 AM

Seems like a good idea for long back country hunts .

Are they worth the headache during the rest of the year ?
Posted By: johnsd16

Re: Hunting with Pack Llamas - 07/12/18 03:10 AM

I want to get a string of 4-5 now that I moved to ID and will be hunting here, MT, and WY regularly. Is your buddy in southern ID?

Re: Hunting with Pack Llamas - 07/12/18 03:26 AM

Originally Posted By: AntiGov
Seems like a good idea for long back country hunts .

Are they worth the headache during the rest of the year ?

They are way easier to take care of then horses and mules. They can pack 50-75lbs all day. They are in the camel family so they don’t need much water and eat anything so you don’t need to pack feed. No lie, we stake them out in a meadow of grass and they’ll choose to eat the pine cones.

Re: Hunting with Pack Llamas - 07/12/18 03:28 AM

Originally Posted By: johnsd16
I want to get a string of 4-5 now that I moved to ID and will be hunting here, MT, and WY regularly. Is your buddy in southern ID?

Yep. He’s in Idaho Falls. If your looking to buy real pack llamas and tack, he’s the guy to contact. He’s been breeding bigger, stronger llamas made for packing for awhile now and has good packers for sale. He also makes and sells the saddles and panniers
Posted By: charles

Re: Hunting with Pack Llamas - 07/12/18 03:54 AM

Still need a horse to ride, dont you?
Posted By: DuxDawg

Re: Hunting with Pack Llamas - 07/12/18 03:53 PM

Very cool. Expect they'd be great for backpackers too.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums