Home

Concrete garage roof leaking Q ??? pic added

Posted By: Jeff

Concrete garage roof leaking Q ??? pic added - 07/15/18 04:04 PM

Have a garage with a flat concrete roof (10"x10") that goes 1/2 way into the basement ,had some leaking.

What sealant or paint to use on a flat concrete roof?

Will Drylok work? or something else?

Thanks

Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: Concrete garage roof leaking Q ??? - 07/15/18 04:15 PM

Concrete sealer. Back in the day I used 50-50 mineral spirits and mineral or linseed oil. A friendlier product likely exists today. I sprayed multiple coats.

Dry lok, I ground a lot of that stuff off, I would not recommend using it.

The pro painters on here are good for advise.
Posted By: Computer Hater

Re: Concrete garage roof leaking Q ??? - 07/15/18 04:27 PM

Jeff,

Without seeing your roof, I would recommend cleaning any dust and dirt off the roof and then fully adhering a .060 EPDM rubber membrane over the roof.

Sealers and coatings tend to last only for a short period and then the leaks reappear. The rubber roof will give you up to 30 years or so with minimal maintenance.
Posted By: forestman3

Re: Concrete garage roof leaking Q ??? - 07/15/18 04:31 PM

They make some good concrete sealers today.You may need to acid wash it first to make it stick right.Rubber roof is what I would do also but that`s what I do.

Re: Concrete garage roof leaking Q ??? - 07/15/18 04:56 PM

Originally Posted By: forestman3
They make some good concrete sealers today.You may need to acid wash it first to make it stick right.Rubber roof is what I would do also but that`s what I do.

You are a roofer too. Congratulations, I think!!!! LOL I've been in the flat roof business for 30 years. Rubber roofs sure have come a long ways since the first ones were installed.
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: Concrete garage roof leaking Q ??? - 07/15/18 05:12 PM

The scrap from that stuff makes the best firewood cover I have used.
Posted By: forestman3

Re: Concrete garage roof leaking Q ??? - 07/15/18 10:41 PM

If your roof is only 10 foot by 10 foot I would definitely put a rubber roof on it.If you have some ground that you could let me hunt in archery we could work out a trade. wink
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Concrete garage roof leaking Q ??? - 07/16/18 05:53 PM

Scrounge some used rubber flat roof material from a co that installs them. They have to pay to dump it and most will be glad to give you some. It's VERY heavy. And yes, it's a supreme fire wood cover, but will rust out steel quick.

Re: Concrete garage roof leaking Q ??? - 07/16/18 07:27 PM

BigBob,

I'm not sure how it is in Missouri, but most companies make use of their scraps that have any reasonable size to them. They can be used to wrap HVAC curbs, do small porches, and small canopies. Anything real small is tossed in the dumpster with the other trash and old roofing. Rubber isn't heavy by the square foot. 60 mil rubber weighs less than 1/2 pound per square foot.

Hopefully he can get some free but if it is in really small pieces he will have to make multiple seams and install multiple T patches. The glues, seam tapes, lap sealants, etc. will add up unless he can get that free also.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums