Home

Wild Parsnip

Posted By: AJE

Wild Parsnip - 07/21/18 01:51 AM

This article serves as a good reminder to stay clear of this nasty invasive. In my area the best way to control it is to spray it with brush grade Roundup between 6/15 & 6/30.
It doesn't grow in the woods.
http://www.weau.com/content/news/Local-experts-warn-of-wild-parsnip-dangers--488762051.html

Re: Wild Parsnip - 07/11/19 09:24 AM

I sprayed round 2 of wild parsnip yesterday (taking care of what I missed the 1st time a couple weeks ago).

https://ipcm.wisc.edu/blog/2016/07/wild-parsnip-an-expanding-problem-along-roadsides-in-wisconsin/
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Wild Parsnip - 07/11/19 11:56 AM

That stuff will leave a mark

Re: Wild Parsnip - 07/11/19 01:22 PM

Yes, and it seems like no one around me is doing anything about eradicating it. Wait 'til it spreads to along fields and streams...I bet trappers will have big issues with this starting in less than 10 years, if some aren't already.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Wild Parsnip - 07/11/19 01:37 PM

it is awful in Green county this year , it seems to have spread down all the rail corridors and many road sides .

in many places it is everywhere not on paved or gavel you couldn't go look in the ditch for anything and not run into wild parsnip.

I think it spreads by mowing after it seeds .

fallow fields just full of it

I think it will change bird hunting

currently seeing no management effort

Posted By: loosegoose

Re: Wild Parsnip - 07/11/19 01:50 PM

Can you eat it?
Posted By: ratbrain

Re: Wild Parsnip - 07/11/19 01:56 PM

Do muskrats eat it?

Re: Wild Parsnip - 07/11/19 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by loosegoose
Can you eat it?

technically yes you can eat the roots but you would have to pick it in the dark , then take 2 showers before morning with extra soap to make sure it is all off of you before the sun comes up.

the other option is to put on your rubber gloves and tyvk suit with face shield and mask like your in some Ebola zone pick and cut the roots from the stem. then un-suite also like your in an Ebola zone and take a shower with dish soap just to be sure

Re: Wild Parsnip - 07/11/19 05:15 PM

I hear ya PETE. It really is that bad. No exaggeration here. This stuff is kind of like the plague hitting Wisconsin. Combine that with invasive buckthorn and honeysuckle and a host of other prevalent nasty invasives and we have big problems. I wonder if other states are in a similar situation as far as how invasives are taking over their state. The problems are spreading like wildfire, most people are unaware of what's going on, and there's virtually no $ to combat such issues. The state is well aware of the issues...I've been to many seminars. There's just no good solution. Even those landowners wishing to tackle this stuff practically need an army to combat some of this stuff.

Re: Wild Parsnip - 07/11/19 08:14 PM

North west ILL has the same problem. I have had to drive to Freeport IL for the last several weeks once a week and ILL 75 is a mess with it
Posted By: Dirty D

Re: Wild Parsnip - 07/11/19 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by AJE
I hear ya PETE. It really is that bad. No exaggeration here. This stuff is kind of like the plague hitting Wisconsin. Combine that with invasive buckthorn and honeysuckle and a host of other prevalent nasty invasives and we have big problems. I wonder if other states are in a similar situation as far as how invasives are taking over their state. The problems are spreading like wildfire, most people are unaware of what's going on, and there's virtually no $ to combat such issues. The state is well aware of the issues...I've been to many seminars. There's just no good solution. Even those landowners wishing to tackle this stuff practically need an army to combat some of this stuff.

I have had only one wlld parsnip on my property so far. I just pulled it out by hand, gloved hands that is.

I do have buckthorn, bush honey suckle, garlic mustard and some other lesser invasives.
I spend considerable time and effort getting them under control.

Most like you said are ignorant about whats going on around them.

What to do about them?

If we want to at least control, stop or reverse the spread there is going to have to be involvement by land owners, whether by gov't force or self interest.

I hope it doesn't come to relying on the gov't.

Before that happens it'll be too late I'm afraid.
Posted By: Zim

Re: Wild Parsnip - 07/11/19 11:22 PM

It is everywhere here in Sauk County. If you were going to spray it along the road ditch's you would have to kill every thing, it is that thick.
Bad stuff for sure. Kind of looks like a dill plant but has a very bad temper.

Zim
Posted By: coydog2

Re: Wild Parsnip - 07/12/19 12:22 AM

This is the 2nd year I broke out with it on my hands and arm.I call my VA clinic and they told me what to do. The thing about it that it dose not spread like poison oak or ivy or sumac.

Re: Wild Parsnip - 07/12/19 12:26 AM

I hear ya Zim. Fortunately I've been spraying mine and my neighbors every year, so it isn't bad on our properties. But our neighbors down the road is as bad as you describe. 1st off, folks need to work from the outside in...1st attempting to keep it from spreading. Secondly, they need to understand it is an annual. They must spray it at the right time to kill it b4 it goes to seed. Townships' role is that they need to mow at the right time. Mowing too late can make the problem worse...it can spread the seeds to other area. Spray it around 6/20 b4 it gets too tall. I contacted 2 of the 3 townships that I own land in. They were very receptive to a discussion. Can we win the battle though...probably not. But there's things that can be done to mitigate it. I'll keep after it each year on my property, that I know. Keep after it, and then each year it actually becomes fairly easy to treat. But I see what you mean...some of my neighbors have it so bad they wouldn't even know where to start. 1 of the townships gets a F for failing to even attempt to mitigate. The other township I give a hi grade for really attempting to remedy this. They are all behind the 8 ball unfortunately, and none have enough resources to deal with it. Too many landowners are either uneducated on it, lack the resources to resolve it, or don't seem to care. It's a tough situation all around. We can't rely on the government to solve all these invasive problems.

Re: Wild Parsnip - 07/12/19 01:07 AM

sadly what it will likely take is some kid who is riding on a township road in shorts and a t-shirt and something happens and ends up in a ditch full of it not having any clue what it is pulls him or her self out of the ditch wipes off spreading it to nearly their entire body then rides another hour and plays int eh sun for a few more and once it is much to late goes into shock from the massive reaction , gets infected and dies.

then it will be the hot topic for a while and people might do something about it.

but no attention will be paid to conservative conservationists who warned about the dangers of it and how to keep it from spreading and deal with infestations of it.

Re: Wild Parsnip - 07/12/19 03:56 AM

We had a guy at work unknowingly get into it. Was he ever in tough shape. Yikes.

I think about how as a kid we played outside all the time. 'Course nowadays kids seem to hang out indoors. Once some people get into the nasty stuff, word may spread as fast as the parsnip is spreading.

I was talking to a surveyor who said it's making his job tough.

Hopefully it doesn't take over CRP and other untilled wildland open spaces.
Posted By: Page

Re: Wild Parsnip - 07/12/19 11:22 AM

My wife is a surveyor and got into a patch a few years ago and cleared a path w a machete not knowing what it was...
I thought for sure she was going to have scars. Definitely know what it is now and will not tolerate it on my property not matter how much work it becomes. I can only imagine if my 3 year old was to get into some how bad it would be.
Posted By: Rat_Pack

Re: Wild Parsnip - 07/12/19 11:29 AM

Little brother of giant hogweed, but there is a lot more of the parsnip around here. Nasty stuff
Posted By: Dana I

Re: Wild Parsnip - 07/12/19 11:43 AM

There is tons of it around here and more all the time. We have none on our properties and it WILL stay that way. It is easy to kill with herbicides and you don't need round up. No need to kill everything just to control this one plant.

The town, county and state are all doing there very best to spread it everywhere. They all have just started mowing roadsides in this area, just in time to be to late.

Re: Wild Parsnip - 07/12/19 02:14 PM

I've heard a 2-4D type herbicide works well Dana. I may try Triplet or Weed-B-Gone on it next year. Indeed Roundup might be a little overkill.

Re: Wild Parsnip - 07/12/19 03:16 PM

doing some more reading , the garden parsnip is the same species as the wild parsnip according to WIS DNR https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0145/8808/4272/files/A3924-15.pdf

a Biennial commonly grown as an annual. Biennials like carrots and parsnip don't set seed till the second year.

Wikipedia claims the cultivar version and wild version to be different but acknowledges the two will easily and rapidly cross pollinate https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parsnip

wild vs cultivar are as far as I can see indistinguishable in stalk or head.

for as fast as this stuff spread , it has clearly got very potent seeding

it would seem for as early a vegetable parsnip is in the spring controlled burns might be very effective as soon as the leaves of the parsnip turn green burn
Posted By: Larry Baer

Re: Wild Parsnip - 07/12/19 04:43 PM

It survives burning

I got some on one arm this spring. It took about 2 months for it to go away.

Re: Wild Parsnip - 07/12/19 07:54 PM

I was wondering if burning it works. Thanks.

Larry, is there medicine for it? Was it quite itchy & painful? 2 months is a lot of time to suffer frown

Re: Wild Parsnip - 07/12/19 07:57 PM

I wonder about people's pets, whether it be cats or dogs, running through this stuff. Makes me wonder if they then pass it to the owner from playing or petting. Imagine if the dog unknowingly brings it in a house or vehicle.
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: Wild Parsnip - 07/12/19 10:19 PM

I must have gotten some seeds in a batch of wildflower seeds I ordered and planted. This thread reminded me to go out and take care of it today. Gave it a mix of round-up and 2-4-D that I mix up to trim around things on the farm. Had to add the 2-4-D to kill mares tail because it's resistant to round-up. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Zim

Re: Wild Parsnip - 07/12/19 10:35 PM

It may effect folks differently, I do not know about that. It does not bother me if I do not cut or break it and get plant juice on me.
Today I was working in the road right-of-way of US Highway 12 north of Wisconsin Dells.
Dam stuff was up to my armpits and it is hard to navigate through without breaking any.
A few years back a co-worker did not understand the repercussions and after using a machete
to clear a line into a corner, well lets say he will have scars on his arms for life.
Flipper, that does not look like the stuff exactly. Maybe different in other areas but the head is too full.
The pizenous parsnip looks almost like a dill head.

Zim
Posted By: Outbackbob48

Re: Wild Parsnip - 07/12/19 11:39 PM

Flipper, your pic of yellow flowers looks like Common Tansy, Like Zim said Parsnip will have dill looking flower.

Re: Wild Parsnip - 07/12/19 11:46 PM

Flipper that doesn't look like wild parsnip.

I don't know for sure what it is, but I know there's something similar that apparently isn't harmful...golden alexander I think i heard looks similar to the parsnip.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Wild Parsnip - 07/13/19 01:12 AM

If you sprayed those yellow plants you killed some expensive native wild flowers. There are lots of ways to find out what vegetation one has and the best route to use to eliminate or minimize.

Bryce

Re: Wild Parsnip - 07/13/19 02:55 AM

Oops, what can I say, it was a panic kill! Better order some more seeds to plant in my soon to be bare spots!!

Re: Wild Parsnip - 07/13/19 03:13 AM

Too bad you didn't post that picture on here before you sprayed, Flipper. smile

Re: Wild Parsnip - 07/13/19 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by AJE
Too bad you didn't post that picture on here before you sprayed, Flipper. smile

That would have been the smart thing to do, but that would ruin my scientific study on how fast round-up mixed with 2-4-D can kill a flower! grin

Re: Wild Parsnip - 07/13/19 03:10 PM

I would not be mixing chemicals like that.

Re: Wild Parsnip - 07/13/19 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by AJE
I would not be mixing chemicals like that.

My farmer Cousin who does spraying said to do it. We have Mares Tail that round-up won't kill so if you spray an area with round-up you will end up with a healthy stand of just Mares Tail. I had it in my hand sprayer already mixed up. That mix is what I used on my food plots to burn them down before no-tilling in my beans. Had to wait 5 days to plant beans because of the 2-4-D.

Re: Wild Parsnip - 07/13/19 05:30 PM

Oh, ok. Farmers usually know what works.
As a general rule I've just been told mixing the wrong chemicals could be an issue.
Posted By: 2labs

Re: Wild Parsnip - 07/14/19 01:32 AM

That stuff is everywhere in NY!

Re: Wild Parsnip - 07/14/19 02:21 PM

Round UP and 2-4 D are both contact chemicals with no real carry over affect so you should be good. In fact much Round Up used in ag application today is tank mixed with many different chemicals depending upon plant species, time of year etc. etc. The idea of tank mixes is to have two different or more modes of activity so that there are more ways to kill the vegetation you want to kill and not create anymore resistance than is already being created by using mostly a chemical with a single mode of action. Many weeds are becoming resistant to glyphosate and that bodes huge problems down the road as very few companies today are investing the millions of dollars and the time and research into getting newer products certified and labeled. It is not just the USA in fact Round up usage in countries like Brazil, Argentina and India are hat higher percentages then the US.

Was driving a 100 miles from eastern to south central WI on a 4 lane yesterday and there are stretches of the median that are thick with wild parsnip.

Bryce

Re: Wild Parsnip - 07/15/19 02:34 AM

I noticed today where it's encroaching into a christmas tree field. That could be a conundrum for the owner.

Re: Wild Parsnip - 07/17/19 01:08 AM

Today my other neighbor mowed his wild parsnip with a brush mower. He's more daring than me to mow it this time of year with a walk behind mower.
It might be too late, but hopefully it hasn't gone to seed yet. I took care of a half dozen parsnip plants last night by 1 of my properties. Always nice to kill it b4 it becomes an infestation.
Posted By: Snowpa

Re: Wild Parsnip - 07/17/19 03:06 AM

Parsnip has blue veins in the stem

Re: Wild Parsnip - 07/18/19 08:14 PM

https://www.weau.com/content/news/W...s-held-in-Chippewa-County-512895021.html

Re: Wild Parsnip - 07/20/19 06:12 PM

This stuff is probably aggrevating a lot of trout fisherman.

Re: Wild Parsnip - 07/25/19 04:35 AM

It sure grows fast. Today I noticed areas where the local government mowed it in ditches a month ago, and the resprouts in many cases are knee high already.
Posted By: Muskrat

Re: Wild Parsnip - 07/25/19 11:55 AM

Roadside ditches are full of it down here in southwestern Wisconsin. And there is no management plan that I'm aware of. Like stated earlier, it will require a victim to get the ball rolling on this issue.

Interesting, the DNR can hang lifejackets at boat landings for folks to borrow to keep from drowning, but we don't have signs posted to keep the uninformed out of the ditches.
Posted By: Macthediver

Re: Wild Parsnip - 07/25/19 12:42 PM

Lesser version of the parsnip Queens Anne's lace can burn you too, just don't put out as much juice.. I was told that it's the juice actually causing a chemical burn which is photo reactive. In other words sunlight reacts with the juice and you get chemical burn on your skin. So it's not like a poison ivy deal where your body actually physically react to the oil from the plant..
I remember there was a big deal made about wild parsnip some years back.. Kinda like the purple loosestrife flash in the pan got quickly forgotten.... Maybe some them mountain biker kids riding the trails need to get into some for someone to get excited again.. Give bunch of them string trimmers to clear it out wearing shorts and flip flops.. Might loose a few but could use the old if it save one child thing on them..Be a big campaign get rid of it then I bet..

Mac

Re: Wild Parsnip - 08/18/19 09:16 AM

It really turned brown here starting ~couple of weeks ago. I'm not sure it has the potent effect on skin once it has gotten to that point of the year.

A farmer near town bailed his ditch. I was surprised. I read that cattle can probably handle it, but it's not necessarily advisable to let them them eat it in mass quantity. Maybe if a farmer doesn't give the bail to cattle for awhile, the wild parsnip loses its potency.

Re: Wild Parsnip - 08/18/19 11:37 AM

LV 4
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Wild Parsnip - 08/18/19 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Macthediver
Lesser version of the parsnip Queens Anne's lace can burn you too, just don't put out as much juice.. I was told that it's the juice actually causing a chemical burn which is photo reactive. In other words sunlight reacts with the juice and you get chemical burn on your skin. So it's not like a poison ivy deal where your body actually physically react to the oil from the plant..
I remember there was a big deal made about wild parsnip some years back.. Kinda like the purple loosestrife flash in the pan got quickly forgotten.... Maybe some them mountain biker kids riding the trails need to get into some for someone to get excited again.. Give bunch of them string trimmers to clear it out wearing shorts and flip flops.. Might loose a few but could use the old if it save one child thing on them..Be a big campaign get rid of it then I bet..

Mac

I have Queen Anns lace in my garden , it's never bothered me if I touch it or pull it out by the roots,

Re: Wild Parsnip - 06/29/20 03:28 AM

I've been actively eradicaticating the wild parsnip on mine and the neighbors property this month. Brush grade Roundup is what I use. I sure hate that invasive.
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Wild Parsnip - 06/29/20 03:32 AM

Is this the stuff that looks like giant queen Anne's? I came across a patch the other day. Because of the stories ive heard I went well wide.

Re: Wild Parsnip - 06/29/20 03:35 AM

Don't get near it! Unless you are well prepared and have a sprayer with Roundup in your hand. Terrible stuff, and an extremely aggressive invader.
Posted By: goatman

Re: Wild Parsnip - 06/29/20 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Pike River
Is this the stuff that looks like giant queen Anne's? I came across a patch the other day. Because of the stories ive heard I went well wide.

No it has a yellow flower.

Re: Wild Parsnip - 08/08/20 04:58 AM

If ya spray or mow it, ya want to do it at the right time of year.
Posted By: trapper20

Re: Wild Parsnip - 08/08/20 01:55 PM

i got some on my calf this year while wearing shorts brushing (yeah i know, pretty stupid). it burns itches and then blisters up. felt about like a muffler burn for a while. drained and now just trying to get it to heal but its a slow procezss
Posted By: trapper20

Re: Wild Parsnip - 08/08/20 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by AJE
If ya spray or mow it, ya want to do it at the right time of year.

ive heard mowing doesnt get rid of it, either has to be pulled by the roots or sprayed. if you do get it on you just keep it covered and dont let the sunlight reach it and you shoud be ok. its the reaction with the sunlight that causes it to effect you

Re: Wild Parsnip - 08/08/20 02:16 PM

I am not seeing nearly as much of it this year. I think the county and townships got out and mowed at the correct time on the roads I have been on , I have also been on fewer roads this year.

Re: Wild Parsnip - 08/09/20 02:26 AM

Crews are trying to do a better job mowing at the right time. You gotta mow it b4 it goes to seed, but not so early that it grows back in the same year. I rely on brush grade roundup myself.

Re: Wild Parsnip - 08/09/20 02:50 AM

One of the biological management control items is to have cattle graze the plants off. I don't know if a ditch full is recommended but some of the control measures I was reviewing offered grazing as an option.

Bryce

Re: Wild Parsnip - 08/09/20 02:53 AM

I think the grazing option is for early in the year. I've read that it can be detrimemtal to cattle health if they eat too much of it when it's mature, like in mid July.

Goats help buckthorn supposedly, maybe they eat parsnip

Re: Wild Parsnip - 06/08/21 12:13 AM

Now I seem to have giant hogweed on my ditchline. I think I took care of it today, but it'll be back because my neighbor does nothing to it. What do you think is worse: wild parsnip or giant hogweed?

https://dnr.wisconsin.gov/topic/Invasives/fact/GiantHogweed.html
Posted By: MJM

Re: Wild Parsnip - 06/08/21 01:22 AM

Wild parsnip grew on the Aleutian Islands. It had the white flowers. I would guess it was on every island. I was on about 20 different islands and it was on all them. I was on two island with cattle that were grazed off pretty bad, but I don't remember the cattle eating it. We called it "Pushki", I have heard the natives ate it, leaves and pealed stock raw before it blooms. I never played with it. This makes me think it has been there for quite some time. Pushki flower in burial cave. Note how it has turned green over time.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Wild Parsnip - 06/08/21 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by AJE
Now I seem to have giant hogweed on my ditchline. I think I took care of it today, but it'll be back because my neighbor does nothing to it. What do you think is worse: wild parsnip or giant hogweed?

https://dnr.wisconsin.gov/topic/Invasives/fact/GiantHogweed.html

I think it goes Wild Parsnip, poison hemlock and hogweed for toxicity. So just avoid anything that looks like queen Anne's lace if you're not sure what it is. Even cow parsnip could cause some irritation to some people
Posted By: JD Nichols

Re: Wild Parsnip - 06/08/21 02:20 AM

It seems like the townships around here want to spread it. They wait until the seeds are mature and then go through with the rotary mower and drag the seeds down the road a little farther. I would think that an old fashioned sickle mower, before it seeds, out would be a better choice.

Re: Wild Parsnip - 06/08/21 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by JD Nichols
It seems like the townships around here want to spread it. They wait until the seeds are mature and then go through with the rotary mower and drag the seeds down the road a little farther. I would think that an old fashioned sickle mower, before it seeds, out would be a better choice.

You're right JD.
It's really frustrating because I am super vigilant about eradicating it on my ditchline (I actually even treat the ditch for 3 of my next door neighbors annually), yet some of my neighbors don't give a hoot & the township spreads it like you mention.
It woulda been funny if you drove by tonight when I was out nipping the hogweed heads into a garbage can. Some probably thought I was crazy, but you would've known what I was up to. For the wild parsnip, I use brush grade Roundup around the 3rd week of June every year.
I've been monitoring the hogweed close the past couple days & it was noticeably starting to mature in just the past 24 hours, so I left work early today and hit it in what I think was just in time.
I wore disposable gloves, didn't come in contact with it, & took a thorough shower. I appear to be ok.
I wonder what it will take to get people around here to learn & realize that 'do nothing' is a bad approach to property management.

Thanks Sniper. That is good advice.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Wild Parsnip - 06/08/21 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by JD Nichols

You hit the nail on the head. It's all up and down the road here because of the state,county, town and villages doing just that. Also a few other invasive plants. We call the one "flag" and it drives out and takes over cattails and the other is purple loosestrife (spelling?) that does the same thing

Re: Wild Parsnip - 06/09/21 02:42 AM

While eradicating Giant Hogweed last night, I nipped a few wild parsnip plants. It wasn't windy, I didn't touch it, I had disposable gloves on, and I took a thorough shower 30 minutes after I started. No problems. I'm not sure I'd reccommend that approach, but it saved on Roundup & seemed to work. I might try it again in spots where the parsnip isn't a total infestation. We had a guy at work get tangled up in it once weed wacking, and the outcome was ugly...so I have a lot of respect for this nasty stuff and I approach it as if I am playing with fire.

Re: Wild Parsnip - 06/09/21 12:44 PM

Its just starting to flower here and it looks like it's going to be a bumper crop

Re: Wild Parsnip - 06/10/21 04:35 AM

Update: what I thought was giant hogweed I am now thinking actually is cow parsnip. It's a doozy trying to ID some of the stuff present now that I didn't see 15 years ago.

Re: Wild Parsnip - 06/23/22 04:52 AM

It's that time of year again. I sprayed my wild parsnip the other night.
Posted By: Woodsloafer72

Re: Wild Parsnip - 06/23/22 12:56 PM

Is there a difference between wild parsnip and common parsnip In the garden? I can't see one looking at pictures.

Re: Wild Parsnip - 07/04/22 06:56 AM

I don't know anything about garden parsnip.

Re: Wild Parsnip - 07/04/22 01:11 PM

Got rid of mine by mowing early took 3 years
Posted By: Dirty D

Re: Wild Parsnip - 07/04/22 01:42 PM

I'm fortunate that I don't have any of these invasives in my ditch.
I did burn my ditch in early spring. I haven't found any info on how burning affects these things.

I do use the cut stump treatment on all sorts of other things like Burr dock and Canada and musk thistles. Works real well and uses a min. of herbicide while not hurting other stuff thats growing in the area.

Spraying an area with herbicide kills everything and leaves an easy area for invasives to get a foothold. Best to target what you want to get rid of directly and minimize collateral damage.

Have any of you tried cut stump on plants before they flower?
Posted By: mask bandit

Re: Wild Parsnip - 07/04/22 02:59 PM

We got it going on here in Sothern Indiana, along with Poison Hemlock. When I was a kid , I never saw it growing along the road or creeks.

Re: Wild Parsnip - 07/04/22 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Woodsloafer72
Is there a difference between wild parsnip and common parsnip In the garden? I can't see one looking at pictures.

white heads is cow parsnip the North american native variety the yellow the invasive

both can actually burn you

both are part of the carrot family here is a pdf from the WI DNR explaining a little and identifying

https://www.co.wood.wi.us/Departments/LandConservation/Brochures/WildParsnipLook-A-Likes.pdf
Posted By: Tatiana

Re: Wild Parsnip - 07/04/22 03:17 PM

(

Re: Wild Parsnip - 07/06/22 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by Dirty D

Spraying an area with herbicide kills everything and leaves an easy area for invasives to get a foothold. Best to target what you want to get rid of directly and minimize collateral damage.

Excellent point.
Ps. What herbicide do you use to cut stump treat burdock?
Posted By: Ohio Wolverine

Re: Wild Parsnip - 07/06/22 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by Tatiana
Originally Posted by Dirty D
Have any of you tried cut stump on plants before they flower?

Wild parsnip is native here and behaves well, but I've been battling the invasive giant hogweed (Heracleum sosnowskyi) for a few years now. There's a "runaway" population spreading here, mosty along trails and dirt roads. Unlike the wild parsnip, they live for several years, and aren't very sensitive to glyphosate, especially where there's total infestation. The same concentration kills the invasive Canadian goldenrod easily. I remove all plants where there are few of them, by cutting them below the growth point with a knife or a small spade. Where the soil is soft, it's possible to just pull out whole young plants. Where there are too many of them, I only destroy the old flowering plants in the last year of their last cycle. I chop the flower heads off with a big knife or a machete, and also chop the stalk up into several sections. If you don't chop up the stalk, it seals itself and has enough energy to produce flowers and seeds autonomously, especially in wet weather, because even green seeds germinate well. I also remove the bud at the base of the lowest leaf because it often sprouts after the stalk is removed, and manages to produce some flowers and seeds until the snow.

I also only handle the plants at dusk or on overcast days, to avoid burns, and carry some water with me to wash away the juice when it sprays. I've also learned that the best way to treat furanocumarin burns is with antibiotic powder, such as Baneocin, it works much better than most ointments and keeps the scalds dry.

Here's a pic from last night:
[Linked Image]

People get the two plants confused.
Wild parsnips have yellow blooms . and are 4-10 times smaller than the giant hog weed !
You leave parsnips in your garden , and the next year they produce seeds .
Garden parsnips have yellow flowers also .

I've grown them and really like frying the roots with butter after parboiling them .
They're good in soups also .
The gaint hog weed is the one that causes the problems .

Re: Wild Parsnip - 07/06/22 05:48 AM

(
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: Wild Parsnip - 07/06/22 12:24 PM

I have mowed some for the DNR here in Lafayette county, BUT, they wont let me start untill after July1, nesting season. which is too late to do any good, I think.

Re: Wild Parsnip - 07/16/22 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by Ohio Wolverine
People get the two plants confused...

The gaint hog weed is the one that causes the problems .

They are very different, but make no mistake about it: invasive wild parsnip is a nasty problem.That said, I'd rather deal w/ my wild parsnip invasion than to have to encounter giant hogweed

Re: Wild Parsnip - 07/16/22 01:40 PM

~

Re: Wild Parsnip - 07/23/22 06:29 AM

Each year I am noticing it spread further away from roads
Posted By: mike mason

Re: Wild Parsnip - 07/23/22 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by AJE
Each year I am noticing it spread further away from roads

Real bad in NY. DOT sprayed the roadsides but stopped because the woke projects are more important. Out 6-8 feet along some ROWs.
Posted By: LT GREY

Re: Wild Parsnip - 07/25/22 03:48 AM

Wild Parsnip will make Poison Ivy seem like a Boy Scout !

( and you may quote me on that ! )

Re: Wild Parsnip - 07/27/22 03:43 AM

Yes, the worst is when people disc trim it without knowing what it is
Posted By: yukonjeff

Re: Wild Parsnip - 07/27/22 04:28 AM

We have this stuff here it grows all over my yard and everywhere. Called wild celery here. I touch it a lot and never had a reaction. Must not be the same. My bees love it so I leave it alone.

[Linked Image]

We also have a lot of Poison Hemlock. It grows in the yard too. Looks almost the same.

Re: Wild Parsnip - 07/27/22 12:41 PM

~

Re: Wild Parsnip - 07/28/22 04:03 AM

Holy moly, that giant hogweed is almost like a tree

Re: Wild Parsnip - 07/28/22 06:15 AM

Yours must be similar to our native species, as I am just across the Berring Straight on the west coast of Alaska, not that far from Siberia.

Here are the Water Hemlock that we have here. Highly poisonous. It looks similar to the cow parsnips. They say dont eat the cow parsnips because the Hemlock grows with it and many cant tell the difference when its young and eaten.

Some kids in a nearby village died eating it awhile back. I imagine you have it there in Siberia too.

My bees also like it. That kind of scares me, but lucky for me no poison honey yet.

[Linked Image]

Re: Wild Parsnip - 07/28/22 11:57 PM

Thats quite a diverse botanical garden you have there.

I once broke a stem of the Hemlock and sniffed it out of curiosity/stupidity. It smelled very bad, strong, with of a turpentine or pine sol smell, and one whiff made me queasy with a headache afterwards. I won't do that again.

And that's good to know the bees wont kill me making honey out of it. They get busier on the Fireweed when comes into bloom and dont hit the Hemlock as hard then.

Re: Wild Parsnip - 08/07/22 04:51 AM

Once wild parsnip season ended I moved right onto buckthorn removal. Always something..

Re: Wild Parsnip - 11/10/22 05:26 AM

One thing I am sure a lot of you also notice is that it's often hard to get neighbors to understand invasives & try to take care of them on their property so they don't spread to your property. Whether garlic mustard, wild parsnip, buckthorn, honeysuckle etc, many either don't understand or maybe don't care. Not everyone is interested in learning about what's on their property and some don't have time.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Wild Parsnip - 11/10/22 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by AJE
This article serves as a good reminder to stay clear of this nasty invasive. In my area the best way to control it is to spray it with brush grade Roundup between 6/15 & 6/30.
It doesn't grow in the woods.
http://www.weau.com/content/news/Local-experts-warn-of-wild-parsnip-dangers--488762051.html

404, page not found! link no good.

Re: Wild Parsnip - 11/13/22 05:13 AM

It's probably too old of a link Bob; it used to work

Re: Wild Parsnip - 06/03/23 06:19 AM

It's getting to be about that time of year to spray wild parsnip
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Wild Parsnip - 06/03/23 08:46 AM

It's in full bloom here up and down the road spread by village/county/state mowers

Re: Wild Parsnip - 06/03/23 10:34 AM

Yeah a lot of the mowers are now rotary instead of sickle and they spray that junk farther
Posted By: jalstat

Re: Wild Parsnip - 06/03/23 11:37 AM

Getting a hold in my neck of the woods

Re: Wild Parsnip - 06/07/23 04:47 AM

At least it doesn't grow in the woods.

Re: Wild Parsnip - 06/11/23 04:25 AM

Anyone spraying it yet? Mid June is usually when I start.

Re: Wild Parsnip - 06/11/23 07:01 AM

I have cleared my property of it by mowing and it hasnt come back

Re: Wild Parsnip - 06/12/23 03:46 AM

Timely mowing can help

Re: Wild Parsnip - 06/17/23 02:29 AM

With wild parsnip season around the corner, be careful out there folks

Re: Wild Parsnip - 06/17/23 04:37 AM

I still think everyone is confusing HOG WEED https://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/39809.html , with wild parsnip .
I grow parsnips in my garden and love them fried in butter after parboiling the roots.
I've let them go to seed to replant the next year, and never had a problem with them.

Re: Wild Parsnip - 06/17/23 04:44 AM

Hog weed has white blooms and parsnips have a yellow bloom.
I've had people tell me queens lace is hog weed too.

For outdoors people , it seems some have heard stories and never knew what was what.
Hog weed will grow 14 feet high , parsnips only 5 or so feet tall.

https://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/39809.html

Re: Wild Parsnip - 06/17/23 04:50 AM

Wild parsnips can cause a rash , but like bee stings or poison ivy , some people are immune to it.
Guess I am immune to it.

https://foragerchef.com/wild-parsnip-harvesting-cooking-and-safety/

Re: Wild Parsnip - 07/04/23 04:09 AM

Luckily I've never gotten a rash from it, but I still try to eradicate it (w/ yellow cap Roundup).

Re: Wild Parsnip - 07/23/23 04:24 AM

I was talking to 1 of our local electrical linemen this week. He said they really have to watch out for wild parsnip & that it's been a topic at many of their safety meetings.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Wild Parsnip - 07/23/23 05:42 PM

Mowing too late in the season can spread seed causing more damage than good. Neighbor hired someone to mow his CRP last year and now it's worse than ever. Seemed the guy never cleaned off his mower before coming by and spread seed from the last cutting all over. Now he has a real mess on his hands!
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Wild Parsnip - 07/23/23 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by AJE
I sprayed round 2 of wild parsnip yesterday (taking care of what I missed the 1st time a couple weeks ago).

https://ipcm.wisc.edu/blog/2016/07/wild-parsnip-an-expanding-problem-along-roadsides-in-wisconsin/

Link doesn't work.

Re: Wild Parsnip - 07/25/23 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by 20scout
Mowing too late in the season can spread seed causing more damage than good. Neighbor hired someone to mow his CRP last year and now it's worse than ever. Seemed the guy never cleaned off his mower before coming by and spread seed from the last cutting all over. Now he has a real mess on his hands!

I can believe that. Some folks don't understand the importance of a clean mower.

Re: Wild Parsnip - 09/14/23 03:22 AM

The other night I presented at our local towns association meeting. I was impressed/surprised by the number of local governments that are taking steps to try to eradicate wild parsnip from R.O.W. There's also proposed state legislation to help fight the nuisance.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums