Home

‘Hunters do not have the right’

Posted By: Ray B

‘Hunters do not have the right’ - 07/30/18 04:07 PM

Nature photographer gets license for Wyoming's grizzly bear hunt, says he won’t: ‘Hunters do not have the right’

http://www.foxnews.com/great-outdoors/20...have-right.html

A nature photographer in Wyoming has snagged one of only 10 new hunting licenses issued by the state’s Game and Fish Department following the state’s decision to allow the hunting of grizzly bears, but he isn’t planning on shooting any. Not with a gun, at least.

Tom Mangelsen, a critic of Wyoming’s new hunting initiative, learned he had obtained one of the state’s coveted licenses on Thursday, after drawing a No. 8 on an issuance list, the Associated Press reported. He was one of only up to 10 hunters to be allowed a chance to kill a grizzly during the hunt.

"The time has come [in] 2018 to really think about the value of wildlife for what it is for everybody," Mangelsen told NPR following the drawing. "The public has the right to see bears and the hunters do not have the right to take that away from the public."

He also touted his license on Instagram alongside a picture of a family of bears, writing, "There are certain circumstances that would keep me from getting in the field, but if given the opportunity, you can be sure that I will be buying the $600 license and spending all of the allotted ten days hunting with a camera. With only one person allowed in the field at one time, hopefully the ten days I take up will save the lives of some of these amazing animals."

Mangelsen was just one of many activists to apply for a license following the Wyoming Game and Fish’s decision in May to allow the hunt — the first such hunt in Wyoming since before grizzlies became protected under the Endangered Species Act of 1975. Those protections were relaxed in 2017, USA Today reports.

Members of a group of wildlife conservationists in Jackson, Wyo. — posting to Facebook under the name "Shoot ‘Em With a Camera" — had also applied for the licenses, intending to slow the hunt, or take time away from hunters with intentions of killing the animals. The group also reposted news of Mangelsen’s license and claimed that another licensee — who drew No. 2 — has joined the group's efforts and will refrain from killing a bear.

Not everyone feels the same way as Mangelsen or the activists, as evidenced by the nearly 7,000 people who applied for the hunting licenses.

Back in May, a spokesman for the Wyoming Game and Fish Department said “science supports” the hunt, as the bears’ numbers have increased to around 700 under the last 42 years of federal protection.

Sy Gilliland, a hunting guide in Wyoming, added to USA Today that the activists’ backlash is “like being Monday-morning quarterbacked by people who don’t really have a clue what’s happening on the ground.”

Grizzly bears were de-listed as a threatened species by the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service in 2017, though the National Park Service stated that no grizzly hunts would take place within Yellowstone or Grand Tetons parks. The upcoming hunt, however, will take place in adjacent areas between Sept. 15 and Nov. 15.

During the hunt, license-holders will be allowed into a designated Demographic Monitoring Area for the purposes of hunting over a period of 10 days, one at a time. The 10-day limit was specifically instated by game wardens to deter activists seeking licenses solely to take up as much time in the hunting zones as possible.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: ‘Hunters do not have the right’ - 07/30/18 04:09 PM

Yeah, that's a favorite ploy of the anti's.
Posted By: ky_coyote_hunter

Re: ‘Hunters do not have the right’ - 07/30/18 04:23 PM

If a Grizz winds him, maybe he will get in a few choice camera pics before having his bones snapped like toothpicks, and being eaten alive...Real nature isn't Walt Disney's ideal version of the natural world.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: ‘Hunters do not have the right’ - 07/30/18 04:34 PM

I believe there is a push by the Sportsman Alliance and RMEF to delist the grizzly from endangered. Of course, a number of anti organizations are already filing lawsuits. Leading the pack is HSUS.
Posted By: ShaneT

Re: ‘Hunters do not have the right’ - 07/30/18 04:35 PM

I hope is the only person with a tag that doesn't see a bear.
Posted By: coydog2

Re: ‘Hunters do not have the right’ - 07/30/18 04:56 PM

You know what will happened when there is none that is shot and the state see that the ones need to be and they start to get out of hand because of some like this person will find out fast that they will need to adjust the laws on hunts.When there is too many bears there will be some problems.time will tell about it.
Posted By: marathonman

Re: ‘Hunters do not have the right’ - 07/30/18 05:03 PM

Wyoming should put into effect an alternates list for the drawing...a way to issue extra permits for the ones that are wasted
Posted By: Rat Masterson

Re: ‘Hunters do not have the right’ - 07/30/18 05:14 PM

Before applying one should have to have had a hunting license.
Posted By: arrowsmith

Re: ‘Hunters do not have the right’ - 07/30/18 05:19 PM

This should be an easy one for the state. They obviously feel they need to remove 10 bears. If only one Hunter is in the field at a time, if that Hunter is unsuccessful they issue another tag until the quota of 10 bears is met. this takes care of people getting the tags and then not hunting and not helping the state with their management solution.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: ‘Hunters do not have the right’ - 07/30/18 06:03 PM

Mess with game management to "help" the species that need controlling! Sound anti stupidity at work.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: ‘Hunters do not have the right’ - 07/30/18 06:09 PM

Originally Posted By: arrowsmith
This should be an easy one for the state. They obviously feel they need to remove 10 bears. If only one Hunter is in the field at a time, if that Hunter is unsuccessful they issue another tag until the quota of 10 bears is met. this takes care of people getting the tags and then not hunting and not helping the state with their management solution.

That's what Wyoming should do. Let the antis waste their money.

Keith
Posted By: CoonsBane

Re: ‘Hunters do not have the right’ - 07/30/18 06:15 PM

There are plenty of hunters here in PA that do the same thing with antlerlees deer tags. They buy them up and "tear them up" because they don't agree with the states management practices. The problem is, they don't use the tag and don't report a kill. The result is that more tags are issued to meet management goals. Same will apply here. If two of ten don't plan on using the tags there should be a 20% increase in the next allotment.
Posted By: mainer

Re: ‘Hunters do not have the right’ - 07/30/18 06:39 PM

The State should invalidate that permit and simply issue another one. These clowns wouldn't practice this nonsense if their public relation's stunt had zero effect. They can't help but go public with their intentions because that's the whole point. If they go public after the fact, the state issues additional permits the following year.
Posted By: Ryan McLeod

Re: ‘Hunters do not have the right’ - 07/30/18 07:53 PM

Hopefully this doesn't make the hunters feel rushed to get a bear within their ten days. Management hunting will work best if ten old males are taken out. I always laugh at antis who think saving one bear will make a difference.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: ‘Hunters do not have the right’ - 07/31/18 01:18 AM

Maybe he will get too close to one and it will be lunch time lol
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: ‘Hunters do not have the right’ - 07/31/18 01:47 AM

So are only the 10 hunters allowed in this area meaning no other people allowed to even hike, sight see, camp etc?
Posted By: Marty

Re: ‘Hunters do not have the right’ - 07/31/18 01:48 AM

How to become bear dung....... laugh
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: ‘Hunters do not have the right’ - 07/31/18 02:15 AM

He might become a bear version of as Scooby snack
Posted By: Furvor

Re: ‘Hunters do not have the right’ - 07/31/18 02:18 AM

Just another mis-guided soul thinking he is God.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: ‘Hunters do not have the right’ - 07/31/18 10:06 AM

WY has been working on a plan for grizzly bear thinning for 20 years that I'm aware of. They just wont stay in Yellowstone. Many have learned to come to a rifle shot. When one claims the bull elk or buck you just shot, legally you have to give it to them. I say 10 aint enough. They need to learn to fear humans.
Posted By: Muskrat

Re: ‘Hunters do not have the right’ - 07/31/18 10:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Ryan McLeod
. . . I always laugh at antis who think saving one bear will make a difference.

That's their philosophy. Antis focus on individual critters, while wildlife management focuses on populations.

Antis don't believe in management.
Posted By: matt buche

Re: ‘Hunters do not have the right’ - 08/01/18 02:27 AM

I met Mangelsen thirty years ago when I worked a winter outside of Jackson Hole, thought he was a weirdo back then....strange duck.
Posted By: ttzt

Re: ‘Hunters do not have the right’ - 08/01/18 05:53 PM

Originally Posted By: marathonman
Wyoming should put into effect an alternates list for the drawing...a way to issue extra permits for the ones that are wasted

I think that they have foreseen this situation, though I am not 100 percent sure, I read these two sections to mean they keep going down the list until the season ends or they meet the mortality limits:

(iv) If a licensee harvests a male grizzly bear or fails to harvest a grizzly bear during their specified hunting period in hunt areas 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6, the next individual on the grizzly bear license issuance list may be contacted in accordance with this section.

(v) If grizzly bear mortality limits have not been met for hunt areas 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6, the grizzly bear license issuance list shall remain in effect through the close of the season.
Posted By: ttzt

Re: ‘Hunters do not have the right’ - 08/01/18 05:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Jurassic Park
So are only the 10 hunters allowed in this area meaning no other people allowed to even hike, sight see, camp etc?

The only restrictions are on the number of grizzly bear hunters. Only one grizzly hunter in the field during each 10 day period.
Posted By: WVCritter

Re: ‘Hunters do not have the right’ - 08/01/18 07:45 PM

His decision to take a camera instead of a gun might come back to bite him........lol
Posted By: chas3457

Re: ‘Hunters do not have the right’ - 08/01/18 09:38 PM

grin Charlie
Posted By: KenaiKid

Re: ‘Hunters do not have the right’ - 08/01/18 10:46 PM

So anti’s are giving money to the game commission for tags they won’t use, allowing the game commission to issue more tags? Sounds like a financial boon for the game department!!
He’ll end up like Timothy Treadwell eventually.
Posted By: Hupurest

Re: ‘Hunters do not have the right’ - 08/01/18 11:38 PM

its really no different than "hunters" who apply for special or low # tags and then dont even end up hunting.

It happens here all the time. one unit has 1,000 people apply for 12 mtn goat tags. out of the twelve, 6 hunted, 5 were successful and only 2 (myself and one other) harvested an animal over 3 years old, mine was 10, the other was 9.

If he wants to pay to enter the lottery, buy the tag, and then use a camera, thats his choice. at least he is a greenie that is contributing to the cost of management..
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: ‘Hunters do not have the right’ - 08/02/18 12:14 AM

Originally Posted By: Hupurest
its really no different than "hunters" who apply for special or low # tags and then dont even end up hunting.

It happens here all the time. one unit has 1,000 people apply for 12 mtn goat tags. out of the twelve, 6 hunted, 5 were successful and only 2 (myself and one other) harvested an animal over 3 years old, mine was 10, the other was 9.

If he wants to pay to enter the lottery, buy the tag, and then use a camera, thats his choice. at least he is a greenie that is contributing to the cost of management..
I heard that goat you shot was extra smelly and had crossed eyes.
Posted By: Hupurest

Re: ‘Hunters do not have the right’ - 08/02/18 04:01 AM

Originally Posted By: upstateNY

I heard that goat you shot was extra smelly and had crossed eyes.

You probably didn’t hear that it would be top 5 in the books and only 1/8” in length from the current world record. We don’t judge their eyes like you have to with women in Oswego.
Posted By: ringtailtrapper

Re: ‘Hunters do not have the right’ - 08/02/18 12:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Law Dog
Mess with game management to "help" the species that need controlling! Sound anti stupidity at work.

Very good point law dog, and it makes me wonder if a person could be charged with an offense in regards with hunter harassment by interfering with the permitting process, and its implementation. Permits are issued as part of a wild life management process under the authority of state fish and game, or the respected DNR's of the states. The process of purchasing a permit with the whole purpose, and intent to limit another sportsmen/women an opportunity at the privilege to legally harvest an animal, that is under the authority of the state fish and game, or DNR to manage, that is nothing more than pure hunter harassment. Every person that put in for a permit that was not drawn should sue this clown in civil court as well, maybe that would put a stop to crap like this.

RTT
Posted By: Calvin

Re: ‘Hunters do not have the right’ - 08/02/18 05:09 PM

knowing this, Wyoming should issue one more tag.
Posted By: Rick Otts

Re: ‘Hunters do not have the right’ - 08/02/18 05:53 PM

Sounds like Ca people who moved to Wy to avoid the problems Ca has but want Wy to be like Ca.The anti's remind me of that one kid in school who all he did was taunt people and all you want to do is punch him in the kisser.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: ‘Hunters do not have the right’ - 08/02/18 09:03 PM

[quote=upstateNY][quote=Hupurest]its really no different than "hunters" who apply for special or low # tags and then dont even end up hunting.

You probably didn’t hear that it would be top 5 in the books and only 1/8” in length from the current world record. We don’t judge their eyes like you have to with women in Oswego.
Hey,women in Oswego have summer eyes.Summer here and summer there.hahahaha
Posted By: SleekOtter

Re: ‘Hunters do not have the right’ - 08/02/18 11:40 PM

I don't know how they do it there or in other states, but here in Maine they base the following year's tag allocation by the ratio of previous year's tags issued to critters killed. So anti's buying up tags and not hunting is only inflating the tags issued for the following year, defeating their purpose.
Posted By: RF Wildlife

Re: ‘Hunters do not have the right’ - 08/03/18 02:01 AM

Simple fix to this. Only those who have harvested big game in the state are allowed to enter the lottery. Lets see if the Antis are willing to gun down Bambi to save Boo:)
© 2024 Trapperman Forums