Home

cross bow question

Posted By: SDB

cross bow question - 08/04/18 01:41 PM

I'm looking for opinions on a mid to upper grade cross bow. I have a muscular degen disease and can't pull my bow back with reliability. Thanks
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: cross bow question - 08/04/18 02:13 PM

From my experience...Any Excalibur's. No wheels/cables no issues.
Posted By: RM trapper

Re: cross bow question - 08/04/18 02:15 PM

I have a tenpoint and really love it, I paid around $800 for it and have not been disappointed. My brother has a Barnett and my dad has a Parker and they all kill deer. The Barnett is the cheapest but it does good and is a little lighter. I would highly recommend tenpoint
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: cross bow question - 08/04/18 02:20 PM

Scorpyd has the best design, imo
Hunting arrow cronied at 409 fps at bow, 353 fps at 85 yds
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: cross bow question - 08/04/18 02:32 PM

I have been looking at the CenterPoint Snyper 370. I think they came out with a Whisper model that has sound dampeners on it. Looked at one at Cabelas last week for $299. Low-end price but reviews on them are fantastic. I usually go high end on this kind of stuff but am not really sure I am going to even like crossbows, so don't want to jump in all the way...yet.

Moosetrot
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: cross bow question - 08/04/18 02:32 PM

They are All Great until they have Wheel/string and cable issues...then how they handle warranty issues is all that matters. It's why the no moving parts Excalibur's shine!!!
Posted By: wetdog

Re: cross bow question - 08/04/18 02:33 PM

Ten point has one BIG advantage.
Their bolts have the omni nock, which means all 3 vains can be a index feather. Which means if you have a bolt that does not hit with the rest, you can try the other vains and one of those will usually bring it to the 10 ring. Crescent moon nocks do not allow you that option.
Just insist on brass nocks in the bolts.
Posted By: Muskrat

Re: cross bow question - 08/04/18 04:01 PM

This might be a direction you'd want to investigate. CO2 cartridge provides power to (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) the bow. I don't know anything about 'em. Just a thought.

https://borkholderarchery.com/product/parker-concorde-w-quick-draw-system/
Posted By: NebrCatMan

Re: cross bow question - 08/04/18 05:59 PM

I started out with a very bottom dollar crossbow a couple years back after being to stubborn to turn my ole compound poundage down a little after both shoulders had surgery and getting 60 plus candles on my birthday cake. Everyone said follow the 55 rule.... 55 pounds of pull or less at 55 years of age. Wouldn't do it. So I did a lot of research and shopping before I bought an entry level Barnett Jackal for $160. Planned on moving up the ladder with a better bow if the crossbow thing was for me. Now a couple years later (two elk and 3 or 4 deer and a couple turkeys later to be exact) I am a thinking it's time to get something better. But then again my cheap side says WHY? I have seen a few "high dollar crossbows" break just like the cheap ones. One thing is for sure compared to a compound or recurve, the crossbows are heavy, clumsy, and sure tire you out more lugging em around the rockies looking for elk. Good luck and have fun with whatever one you choose!
Posted By: bic

Re: cross bow question - 08/04/18 06:22 PM

Originally Posted By: 330-Trapper

X2
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: cross bow question - 08/04/18 06:58 PM

Originally Posted By: bic

X2

Posted By: coydog2

Re: cross bow question - 08/04/18 07:00 PM

I have a ten point and like it and got deer with it and have a hand crank on it that will help to get the sting pull back.I also have a old Barnett and I had to add and hand crank and scope on it done in alot of deer with it.One year it was stolen on me when I was looking for a deer I shot and then did not find the deer. Went and report to the game warden and he told me what to do after and then I went out and got myself the Ten point in the morning of a day and that afternoon the game warden show up at the house with the barnett that was damage and I had got it fix later.Since I had the ten point I use that for now.The game warden told me I needed to up grade anyways. but that was not the way i wanted to do it.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: cross bow question - 08/04/18 09:33 PM

They make a winch crank that goes in the stock to pull them
Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Re: cross bow question - 08/04/18 09:54 PM

X4

Chris
Posted By: Dent Cnty Traper

Re: cross bow question - 08/04/18 10:03 PM

I have used crossbows for several years now and I've found they're truly overpowered for most archery distances.. I'm not complaining , just saying that about any mid range priced crossbow will certainly kill a deer with ease. So go for comfort and a price you like. Sure , more money more lights, bells and whistles, but a Barnett will do the same job as those high priced rigs. My wife and I use the reverse style crossbows, light (6 LBS) compact and easy to carry and point. I have the Vicious , and she has the Raptor. They are reasonably priced and accurate enough for us at archery ranges, 20 - 40 yds. It's always a complete pass through from any ethical angle of a shot. Quiet and dependable too, so go try any of the above mentioned brands.. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Re: cross bow question - 08/04/18 10:10 PM

Another plus for the Excalibar is the ability to do decock the bow with the string cocker instead of firing off a junk bolt into an old stump.
Posted By: minklessinpa

Re: cross bow question - 08/05/18 01:03 AM

Originally Posted By: Hodagtrapper

X4

Chris

x5
Posted By: RM trapper

Re: cross bow question - 08/05/18 01:15 AM

Like I said I love my tenpoint, but any of them will do fine. My cousins all 3 have Excalibur and 2 of them had limbs to break, and the company was very good about getting them fixed. I've never had any problems with my tenpoint so I don't know about their customer service

Re: cross bow question - 08/05/18 01:26 AM

One good thing about the scorpyd, the reverse draw allows for a longer bolt, about 2" longer powerstroke over regular crossbow, little more ke, maybe more stable in flight
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: cross bow question - 08/05/18 01:37 AM

with your health buy one that you can get a crank on the bow for cocking it.
Posted By: SDB

Re: cross bow question - 08/05/18 02:19 AM

Thanks everyone. Does the Excalibur have a crank or is one needed ??
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: cross bow question - 08/05/18 02:39 AM

It doesn't look like they come with one but you can get them as an accessory.

Re: cross bow question - 08/05/18 02:50 AM

Originally Posted By: backroadsarcher
It doesn't look like they come with one but you can get them as an accessory.

It’s called the Crankaroo Cocking Aid and is sold as an accessory.
Posted By: gwc

Re: cross bow question - 08/05/18 05:24 AM

I have a new Barnett Whitetail Hunter 2.I really like it.This will be my first season with it but killed a deer with my friends identical bow last year.Paid around $400 for it.
Posted By: coydog2

Re: cross bow question - 08/05/18 11:13 AM

Originally Posted By: backroadsarcher
with your health buy one that you can get a crank on the bow for cocking it.
That is so true and that is what I made sure of for the ones I have. It will help you in the end.I glad i got a hand crank on both of my.I learn to release the bow with the hand crank also.Do not dry fire any crossbow.For those that dose not know that.

Re: cross bow question - 08/05/18 04:18 PM

The setter that came with the scorpyd works better, easier than the longer string one
Posted By: Marty

Re: cross bow question - 08/05/18 04:28 PM

I have an Excal Exomax, its pretty awesome.... smile
Posted By: Nothwoods Bandit

Re: cross bow question - 08/06/18 02:04 AM

I am very pleased with my Excalibur Vortex, it is very accurate and I have taken a number of deer with it. Excalibur makes a new line of smaller sized Xbow which are much more compact, although I have used mine from an elevated tree stand as well as ground blinds without any issues.

This bow is a tack driver out to 50yds, although I personally try to keep all my shots within 20 to 40 yards.

Good luck on your decision.

N.B.
Posted By: midlander

Re: cross bow question - 08/06/18 04:22 AM

Tenpoint is hard to beat. Customer service is second to none. Shot several excals, very nice also, but not for my hunting style (they are extremely wide and not well suited for tree stand hunting IMO). Excal is also good at marketing...have a lot of people thinking they will need to change strings while in the field Lol. Guess all the compound hunters better sell and get a long bow or recurve with that logic....in the end, you should handle them and see which one fits you and your style of hunting the best.
Posted By: bass10

Re: cross bow question - 08/06/18 11:58 AM

I bought a low end Barnett and have to say I really had trouble at 35-40 yards. It just didn't want to be consistent, but hey its a $220 crossbow. I have seen first hand the Mathews shoot a 8" pie pan at 100 yards, yes 100 yards. Sure mine will kill deer but IMO you want to go out with the best equipment you can afford. Now if someone can consistently put them in there at 40-50 yards with a $100 used crossbow then all is well, but I'm thinking you'd have trouble. Ten points are manufactured literally 5 miles from my house, good company and great bows.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums