Home

Coyote/fox stomach contents as bait?

Posted By: Ave

Coyote/fox stomach contents as bait? - 08/05/18 02:17 AM

Hey guys, there was a good thread on this a few years back, but I can no longer access it due to all the past posts being deleted. Anybody tried this? Thanks
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Coyote/fox stomach contents as bait? - 08/05/18 02:28 AM

Regurgitated food is very good.... an old wolfer trick.
Posted By: Michigan Trappin

Re: Coyote/fox stomach contents as bait? - 08/05/18 02:36 AM

Yep. Works real well earlier in the season for me. I'm guessing a fresher memory for the pups eating what was brought back to thd den

Big dirt hole for me on this one
Posted By: TONY.F

Re: Coyote/fox stomach contents as bait? - 08/05/18 03:49 AM

What category would that fall under fresh tainted or curiosity or territorial? Inquiring minds want to know.
Posted By: red mt

Re: Coyote/fox stomach contents as bait? - 08/05/18 04:20 AM

Del Kramer spoke about using content of the stomach years ago in his book when it came out.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Coyote/fox stomach contents as bait? - 08/05/18 06:19 AM

Yep
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Coyote/fox stomach contents as bait? - 08/05/18 11:03 AM

Have you ever heard a landowner all in a panic wanting you to drop everything and come kill coyotes cause a dead horse got cleaned up in two or three nights? The way they do it is kinda neat. It wasn't 100 coyotes that did it but a handful. Even family members in the summer consisting of pups plus mom and dad, all staying close to each other, will fight and squabble all night long at that carcass. They eat till their bellys hurt then run off from the rest of the herd, dig a hole and puke in it. They then cover it back up. I doubt it all gets re eaten and I think like squirrels they don't remember where they buried it. They find it with their nose. I also don't think they care whos stash they found.
Posted By: James Peterson

Re: Coyote/fox stomach contents as bait? - 08/05/18 01:51 PM

Are you using any preservatives in this puke bait? Our just putting the whole stomach in a dirt hole / flat set?
Posted By: Coyote Clayton

Re: Coyote/fox stomach contents as bait? - 08/05/18 02:09 PM

Cut the stomach open, empty the contents and try not to breath while your doing it. It will take several to make any amount. I mix glycerin into it only to keep it from freezing. Ive never used it in the warmer months. I use it in the times that everything else is being ignored. Last resort. Dirt hole usually. And I use it sparingly. If you blanket an area with it your conditioning them to ignore it just like other bait and lure. One of many lures and baits you should have in your bag of tricks. Good quality urine and lots of it just by itself will really produce.

Re: Coyote/fox stomach contents as bait? - 08/05/18 02:39 PM

Thanks Joe & Clayton! I'd read that and reread it. About thirty years ago (time flies) some buddies of mine had cut one open to see what they were eating. I believe we counted about thirty mice in all. From whole mice to spinal column's still intact! Pretty nasty stuff. One more thing to throw in the freezer, my wife will be Sooo happy!
Posted By: Michael Morris

Re: Coyote/fox stomach contents as bait? - 08/05/18 02:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Coyote Clayton
Cut the stomach open, empty the contents and try not to breath while your doing it. It will take several to make any amount. I mix glycerin into it only to keep it from freezing. Ive never used it in the warmer months. I use it in the times that everything else is being ignored. Last resort. Dirt hole usually. And I use it sparingly. If you blanket an area with it your conditioning them to ignore it just like other bait and lure. One of many lures and baits you should have in your bag of tricks. Good quality urine and lots of it just by itself will really produce.

This is baically the way I was taught to use it. Good info Clayton
Posted By: Hern

Re: Coyote/fox stomach contents as bait? - 08/05/18 03:15 PM

Are you using any preservatives in this bait?
It will continue to decompose. Answer is yes. You want to keep it exactly 'as is'.

Re: Coyote/fox stomach contents as bait? - 08/05/18 03:29 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone. Speaking of preserving it, could it be frozen and used for later use?

Re: Coyote/fox stomach contents as bait? - 08/05/18 03:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Ave
Thanks for the replies everyone. Speaking of preserving it, could it be frozen and used for later use?

Yes

Re: Coyote/fox stomach contents as bait? - 08/05/18 03:46 PM

When I was a school kid (inthe 60s70s)and could not afford bait or lures I used this system alot .
I started out the year using trail sets, or old dead cow bones.
There are other parts that can be used as well to make sets.

Re: Coyote/fox stomach contents as bait? - 08/05/18 04:12 PM

So! What's the secret to keeping it fresh? Has to be very acidic. Or do you just use it as it becomes available?
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Coyote/fox stomach contents as bait? - 08/05/18 04:35 PM

Originally Posted By: danny clifton
Have you ever heard a landowner all in a panic wanting you to drop everything and come kill coyotes cause a dead horse got cleaned up in two or three nights? The way they do it is kinda neat. It wasn't 100 coyotes that did it but a handful. Even family members in the summer consisting of pups plus mom and dad, all staying close to each other, will fight and squabble all night long at that carcass. They eat till their bellys hurt then run off from the rest of the herd, dig a hole and puke in it. They then cover it back up. I doubt it all gets re eaten and I think like squirrels they don't remember where they buried it. They find it with their nose. I also don't think they care whos stash they found.

This is what started the "dirt hole set". Remember EJ Dailey talking about that was what inspired him to start digging his own dirt holes. Is as natural a set as it comes, to use the contents!

Re: Coyote/fox stomach contents as bait? - 08/05/18 05:24 PM

I don't keep it longer than the season. Although I put some in a six pack cooler once and it was in the fur shed/garage for a few months. It definitely produces a gag reflex after its been in hot weather for a while.....

Re: Coyote/fox stomach contents as bait? - 08/05/18 05:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Coyote Clayton

Just how much would you put in a dirt hole?

Re: Coyote/fox stomach contents as bait? - 08/05/18 05:52 PM

First thing is I dig deep dirt holes. At least a foot. I use about half a stomach content. If you can't dig one that deep use less.

Re: Coyote/fox stomach contents as bait? - 08/05/18 05:59 PM

Thanks for the warning Clayton! I've got a plan, freezing it in pill bottles should work! Starting to sound like a good skunk & opposum bait as well. LOL!!!
Posted By: Castormound

Re: Coyote/fox stomach contents as bait? - 08/05/18 06:04 PM

I'll just but a few nice clean jars of bait at the next convention:)
© 2024 Trapperman Forums