Home

How much lure and bait do you use each year??

Posted By: pass-thru

How much lure and bait do you use each year?? - 08/05/18 03:14 AM

Just curious to see how much others use. This for an average year....not when the market is high or when you are cutting back for some reason.

I see on youtube videos how some folk use an extreme amount of lure at each set.

I don't keep lure records so this is a rough estimate for me. I use lure very sparingly. And don't bait nearly every set. And often use table scraps, mouse nests etc that doesn't get captured in the estimate.

For me, 12-16 oz of lure altogether, 1-2 pints of bait. Use very little urine anymore.

Most of this is fox/coyote/cat gland lure, castor based lure, and some food based coon lure.

Very interested to hear how much some of the long-liners burn through.
Posted By: Ditchdiver

Re: How much lure and bait do you use each year?? - 08/05/18 03:18 AM

Not really sure, but not as much as most of the people on YouTube. I do know that I buy more than I use. I'm getting quite the collection.
Posted By: Boco

Re: How much lure and bait do you use each year?? - 08/05/18 03:18 AM

I'm no longliner but I use several hundred pounds of bait over the winter.I always have plenty and leave lots out on the trapline in late winter after the season is over.Very little if any lure besides for some open water beaver.
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: How much lure and bait do you use each year?? - 08/05/18 03:26 AM

I probably use around 48 ounces. That's trapping beavers for 9 months.
Posted By: pass-thru

Re: How much lure and bait do you use each year?? - 08/05/18 05:15 AM

Originally Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Thought for sure you'd be in triple digits. Goes to show less is more!
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: How much lure and bait do you use each year?? - 08/05/18 05:35 AM

Trapping 5 months or so for coyotes, part time.... less than 4oz in lure. Bait of course is higher, but I only use it at 20% or less sets so somewhere between 8-16oz
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: How much lure and bait do you use each year?? - 08/05/18 11:13 AM

Originally Posted By: pass-thru
Originally Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Thought for sure you'd be in triple digits. Goes to show less is more!

It doesn't take all that much. The old beaver has a better nose than folks give them credit for.
Posted By: Redsleeves

Re: How much lure and bait do you use each year?? - 08/05/18 12:06 PM

Rough fuigers when i use to run a 100mile k9 line was about 8oz of lure and prolly 100 lbs of bait. I'm not a big lure trapper though. Now just water trapping prolly 1 or 200 lbs of bait and about an oz. Of lure. Again big on blind sets and no longer longline! I'm a less is more type. I had a buddy I trapped with that was a half oz per set type.
Colt
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: How much lure and bait do you use each year?? - 08/05/18 12:20 PM

Probably 15-18 of the 4-ouncers and quite a bit of bait. Not sure, but thinking I fill the gallon jug 10-12 times or so.
Posted By: coop

Re: How much lure and bait do you use each year?? - 08/05/18 12:58 PM

Approx. 6 4oz. bottles of lure and maybe a pt. of bait (or none), couple qts. of bladder urine maybe.
Posted By: tjm

Re: How much lure and bait do you use each year?? - 08/05/18 01:31 PM

1/4-1/2 oz? not much, dip a twig at each set is all I was told to use (long, long time passing) and that has worked well.
Usually what clings to a match stem can be smelled by me ten days later and if it has not worked by then, obviously I put the set in the wrong place.
Some lures it takes a bit more and those lures really have to show me something or they don't stay in my bucket long.

There use to be a thread with pictures of different size gobs on a qtip "what's your number"- was a great discussion of how much lure and ran several pages, but I can't find it now...as I recall the biggest gob was lima bean size and the most chosen size was pea size.

>ed> but, I don't trap all year-- fur only, so from about Thanksgiving to the first week of January
If I was doing control work year round two things; I'd set a lot more traps every day because of no skinning time and there are a lot more days in a year ...
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: How much lure and bait do you use each year?? - 08/05/18 01:42 PM

I can get about 20-25 of these in a 1oz bottle.
Posted By: Jonesie

Re: How much lure and bait do you use each year?? - 08/05/18 01:44 PM

trapping 12 months a year ADC, for different targets, I use more lure than the average but less bait than the average. combined I guess I use 30 to 40 4 oz bottles of different lures. Baits combined maybe 5 gallon.
Posted By: tjm

Re: How much lure and bait do you use each year?? - 08/05/18 01:54 PM

Originally Posted By: HobbieTrapper
I can get about 20-25 of these in a 1oz bottle.
Then I must get a 100-150 per oz. I know I never kept track of it. That is about how much I'd use if it was a bait like Appleroad.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: How much lure and bait do you use each year?? - 08/05/18 01:56 PM

Not enough, I have bait n lure that are over fifteen or more years old
Posted By: RHuff

Re: How much lure and bait do you use each year?? - 08/05/18 02:17 PM

Most I use total gland, food or curiosity type lures. maybe 4 ounces.If its something like Lenons Natures call which I use for post type sets 4-8 ounces of it a year. I try to keep about 30 sets working for K-9 from November through January. Q-tip dipped in lure tablespoon of bait at dirt hole and 15-20 drops of Natures call at Post sets.
Posted By: red mt

Re: How much lure and bait do you use each year?? - 08/05/18 03:13 PM

I guess I am odd man out limabean size or better but really never worry about it stick in the knife in a jar pull some out.
I almost never re lure even after bad storms.
Posted By: Furvor

Re: How much lure and bait do you use each year?? - 08/05/18 04:37 PM

I use lure sparingly, about a teaspoon of urine, no bait, 4# pan tension, and more snares than traps, with nothing to slow down the animal near the snares.
Posted By: Zimmer

Re: How much lure and bait do you use each year?? - 08/05/18 10:47 PM

I use around 8 x 4-oz jars annually - like most of you I use different lures for different conditions - early sparingly and once its cool I use more - loud lures 2-3' high in prevailing wind -
Posted By: PWC

Re: How much lure and bait do you use each year?? - 08/06/18 01:20 AM

I carry the cat meat paste bait I use in a 5 gallon bucket in the truck if that's any indication? LOl
© 2024 Trapperman Forums