Home

For those w/Parker pears???

Posted By: Drakej

For those w/Parker pears??? - 08/05/18 10:42 PM

Any issue with Fire blight? I want a cross pollinator variety for my Early Gold and Parker is a readily available hardy pear for my zone but info says they are susceptible to Fire blight. Wondering how much of a problem Fire blight is.
Posted By: nightlife

Re: For those w/Parker pears??? - 08/06/18 02:52 PM

I had some when I lived in Brunswick south of mora never had any trouble with them for the 15 years we lived there, like you we planted them asa pollinator for other varieties and they grew well and we had no trouble even though we just left them alone to do their thing
Posted By: warrior

Re: For those w/Parker pears??? - 08/06/18 03:24 PM

Don't know how much you know about fireblight but in south it's an ever present problem. It's driven by humidity levels, particularly at time of bloom. Wet springs are the worst.

My experience in fireblight central is a cultivar has to be resistant or better otherwise it's a futile effort due to the disease pressures and environment. If we had a better climate I'm sure we could grow other cultivars.

I'very never heard of the cultivar you mention so I can't say whether it's resistant or not.
Posted By: NEYotetrapper

Re: For those w/Parker pears??? - 08/06/18 06:17 PM

I have Parker growing in my nursery, no signs of fireblight on it. Fireblight is generally not much of an issue here though, as the climate typically doesnt favor it.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums