Home

K9 sets and time

Posted By: mikeinpa

K9 sets and time - 08/05/18 11:03 PM

Just wanted to hear some opinions. Whats the longest youve left a canine set out and connected? All things being equal,(terrain,food source,time of year,population), when do you pull and move on?
Posted By: trapperkeck

Re: K9 sets and time - 08/05/18 11:14 PM

I have had at least one K-9 set out from the 2nd week of December that did not connect until February 26th. Actually, they were cat traps and I had a double on yotes at that location, that day. For yotes, I would not leave sets more than a couple weeks unless I had plenty of traps and they are convenient to check or for ADC.
Posted By: Michigan Trappin

Re: K9 sets and time - 08/05/18 11:25 PM

Son caught one second to the last day of season on a set that had been in for two months last year. And he is stubborn about not rebaiting or re-luring his sets
Posted By: Taximan

Re: K9 sets and time - 08/05/18 11:27 PM

3-4 months without re-luring.
Posted By: forestman3

Re: K9 sets and time - 08/05/18 11:29 PM

I have a couple places near the house that I have caught coyotes after the set was their for a month but when running a k9 line and gas being 3 dollars a gallon,2 weeks is about it unless I`m catching a lot.The best advice I can give you is if your going to put sets out in freezing conditions of Pa for coyotes,make wax dirt in the summer.The less you mess with a set once you make a set,the better.
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: K9 sets and time - 08/05/18 11:34 PM

I typically set three and sometimes four traps per location, I’ve had traps or at least a trap that never connected in a given year.

I don’t think that is really what you are asking so I will give you a typical scenario. It is normally 7 to 10 days between coyote visits in my area. I have had locations go dry two or even three weeks but that is rare ! This typically happens late in the year after I have caught a number of coyote .
Posted By: mikeinpa

Re: K9 sets and time - 08/06/18 12:15 AM

Thanks guys. I thought i was the only guy that checked empty traps!!
Posted By: Carolina Foxer

Re: K9 sets and time - 08/06/18 12:19 AM

7-10 days max if the weather cooperates and stays good. Pull and move after that length of time. A trap that's a mile from the house is a mile too far if it's not producing...
Posted By: ttzt

Re: K9 sets and time - 08/06/18 12:52 AM

Set this trap in the last half of December, this coyote showed up the 8th of March. I know that I probably relured a couple of times. Never seen so many cockle burs on one. This was on a friend's ranch and he was about to start calving. I have caught quite a few after a month or two.

© 2024 Trapperman Forums