Home

Coon skinner knife...2nd attempt

Posted By: slydogx

Coon skinner knife...2nd attempt - 08/06/18 02:57 AM

Taking my time this go. Bevelling is tricky. Size and hand feel/comfort feel good. Hopefully I can manage heat treating and a decent set of scales...
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Coon skinner knife...2nd attempt - 08/06/18 05:10 AM

I never cared for that style of knife for anything on skinning raccoons, but I do like hand made knives and it looks like you're off to a good start on that one. I've never attempted one myself. Is this blade forged or ground into shape? I keep watching "forged in fire", I may have to give it try someday. Good job.
Posted By: Meathunter1978

Re: Coon skinner knife...2nd attempt - 08/06/18 05:16 AM

Slydogx here's one I've been working on for a fellow trapper.
Posted By: swift4me

Re: Coon skinner knife...2nd attempt - 08/06/18 05:18 AM

Not being critical, but it looks like you have a low spot in the contour of the blade. Maybe just the photo. Good luck with the heat treating. I just did my first one from scratch a few months ago and I got it cherry red in the wood stove then quenched in canola oil. After that 2 hours at 400 degrees in the oven.

Pete

Re: Coon skinner knife...2nd attempt - 08/06/18 05:25 AM

ADC, the knife is ground from a lawnmower blade. The only forging was done by a friend who flattened the billet for me.
Swift, the low spot is actually on purpose...I am trying to create a "belly" at the edge leading in to the opening cut. My theory is that it will prevent the vlade getting hung up by the longer fur during a sweeping money cut motion. I am far from a high numbers coon guy but hope to trap and put up 100 for the first time this year. Most I've done before is 35.

Re: Coon skinner knife...2nd attempt - 08/06/18 05:26 AM

Meathunter, that's a beauty knife there. I don't think I'm at that level yet lol
Posted By: Meathunter1978

Re: Coon skinner knife...2nd attempt - 08/06/18 06:15 AM

Lol. I've only been making knives for around two years. So it still takes time and planning. Some of my pieces turn out some don't. You've got a good start. A little tip use a dremel for your bevel it's a lot quicker.

Re: Coon skinner knife...2nd attempt - 08/06/18 02:32 PM

So, I re-read my original thread where I picked up some great tips from Tom cat (thanks again!)...I think I am on track for some success.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Coon skinner knife...2nd attempt - 08/06/18 02:39 PM

Looks good!
Posted By: swift4me

Re: Coon skinner knife...2nd attempt - 08/10/18 05:26 PM

Thanks for the explanation about the blade shape. It makes sense.

Good luck.

Pete

Re: Coon skinner knife...2nd attempt - 08/10/18 07:18 PM

Well, tried to finish this up last night and I'm pretty sure I botched it LOL.
I'm going to regrind this blank to something else and then cut a new one from my remaining material.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Coon skinner knife...2nd attempt - 08/10/18 08:07 PM

I doubt you'll be able to harden that lawn mower blade steel to anything approaching hard. It's likely only cold/hot rolled steel.

Re: Coon skinner knife...2nd attempt - 08/10/18 08:56 PM

Big Bob, I am starting off with lawn mower blades and other scrap because I am sure my first few ain't gonna be worth a hill of beans anyhow LOL. After checking the price/availability on high carbon and tool steel I decided to do some "prototyping" with cheap steel first.

Glad I did, because if there are mistakes to be made, I have been making them.

One thing I am finding surprisingly challenging is properly fitting and shaping handles. I also find that I prefer the look of a metal bolster on a knife handle and I haven't quite sorted out how to accomplish that yet either.

But that is the beauty of trapping... it has given me cause (excuses) to branch out and learn new skills in order to enhance my trapping experiences. I have had to brush up on several woodworking, metal working and welding. Also, gotta be a good carp fisherman (free bait)
© 2024 Trapperman Forums