Home

Black Liquorice?

Posted By: Finster

Black Liquorice? - 08/09/18 02:06 AM

Love the stuff, some don't. The brand they sell at tractor supply is pretty good. (Darrell Lea) is the name. Anyone have a favorite brand?
Posted By: TurkeyTime

Re: Black Liquorice? - 08/09/18 02:15 AM

That stuff should be banned from using the title of candy. I get a bag of jelly beans and the black ones all get thrown away.

Re: Black Liquorice? - 08/09/18 02:16 AM

Originally Posted By: TurkeyTime
That stuff should be banned from using the title of candy. I get a bag of jelly beans and the black ones all get thrown away.
Haters gotta hate! grin
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Black Liquorice? - 08/09/18 02:17 AM

I buy the all black bags of jelly beans, Brachs, good stuff! lol
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: Black Liquorice? - 08/09/18 02:17 AM

Real black licorice is a very powerful laxative, so enjoy the candy and later the fun!
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Black Liquorice? - 08/09/18 02:18 AM

I get the Dutch salted stuff from world market. But the Haribo cats and cats paws are good as well . I always have some of that stuff close by. Matter of fact eating some as I type

Re: Black Liquorice? - 08/09/18 02:18 AM

Originally Posted By: Willy Firewood
Real black licorice is a very powerful laxative, so enjoy the candy and later the fun!
Why do you think I like it! laugh
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Black Liquorice? - 08/09/18 02:19 AM

Oh, and I just buy Twizzlers black licorice.

Re: Black Liquorice? - 08/09/18 02:19 AM

Originally Posted By: Scuba1
I get the Dutch salted stuff from world market. But the Haribo cats and cats paws are good as well . I always have some of that stuff close by. Matter of fact eating some as I type
What's the brand name of "the dutch salted stuff"?
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Black Liquorice? - 08/09/18 02:20 AM

Black jelly beans are Diane and my favorite ones.

Keith
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Black Liquorice? - 08/09/18 02:21 AM

Lol, u just ate 5 pieces of twizzler black liquorice

Re: Black Liquorice? - 08/09/18 02:24 AM

AWE CRAP!

Black Licorice: Dangerous Candy

Eat too much candy and you’ll be sorry. Eat too much black licorice, and you could be dead.
This creepy Halloween warning comes from the FDA. Too much black licorice, the federal agency says, can lead to “abnormal heart rhythms, as well as high blood pressure, edema (swelling), lethargy, and congestive heart failure.”
How much is too much? The FDA warns people age 40 and older not to eat 2 ounces of black licorice a day for two weeks or more.
And that’s a conservative warning. The NIH has warned that it’s “possibly unsafe” to eat just 1 ounce of black licorice a day for several weeks. In addition to the FDA’s list of drastic possible too-much-licorice results, the NIH adds paralysis, brain damage, and erectile dysfunction.
And if you eat a lot of salt, if you have high blood pressure, or if you have heart or kidney disease, the NIH says as little as a sixth of an ounce of licorice a day could cause these problems.
The issue, well known to many forms of traditional medicine, is that licorice root contains a drug: glycyrrhizin.
Many of those who use licorice as an herbal remedy seek relief of sore throat, cough, infections, arthritis, lupus, or chronic fatigue syndrome. It’s been used to treat all kinds of ailments ranging from muscle cramps to prostate cancer, although there’s no solid scientific evidence that it actually works.
But the potential side effects are real enough. That’s because licorice — real black licorice, not the phony licorice-flavored stuff flavored with anise oil — causes a drop in potassium levels. It may also mimic the activity of the female sex hormone estrogen.
The NIH advises women NOT to eat black licorice while they are pregnant or breast feeding. People with hormone sensitive conditions, such as breast cancer or endometriosis, should avoid licorice.
And don’t eat licorice for at least two weeks before planned surgery. It can interfere with blood pressure during and after your procedure.
The NIH warns people taking Coumadin (warfarin) never to eat black licorice, as licorice makes the drug less effective. And the NIH says licorice also may interfere with digoxin, estrogens, furosemide, blood pressure drugs, steroid drugs, and diuretics (water pills). Also, licorice may alter the activity of drugs processed by the liver.
Interest declared: I love black licorice. But this Halloween, I’m cutting back.

Source: https://blogs.webmd.com/breaking-news/2011/10/black-licorice-dangerous-candy.html

Re: Black Liquorice? - 08/09/18 02:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Finster
Originally Posted By: Scuba1
What's the brand name of "the dutch salted stuff"?

Gustafs classic salt licorice.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Black Liquorice? - 08/09/18 03:13 AM

Black licorice is for old people who no longer have sense of taste.

Re: Black Liquorice? - 08/09/18 03:17 AM

Lol, I must have died a long time ago! I've eaten more than half a bag before
We ate it when we were kids too, 50+ years ago
Posted By: Drakej

Re: Black Liquorice? - 08/09/18 03:39 AM

Black is the only REAL licorice. Store here in S. MN has 100's of varieties(3,000 kinds of candy!). Aussies make some primo stuff(best I've found around the world).
Posted By: Boco

Re: Black Liquorice? - 08/09/18 04:39 AM

Grand Funk Railroad-Black Licorice.
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Black Liquorice? - 08/09/18 04:45 AM

Panda all natural black licorice in the black and yellow box
Posted By: gary Collins

Re: Black Liquorice? - 08/09/18 05:18 AM

i throw black jelly beans in the hole when i am spearing pike it brings the gills in for hook and line fishing i ate a lot of jelly beans when i quit smoking 24 years now
Posted By: Daves Decoys

Re: Black Liquorice? - 08/09/18 01:15 PM

Kookaburra Australian black licorice is my favorite !
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: Black Liquorice? - 08/09/18 01:54 PM

When I get a hankering for black licorice I just go in the bathroom and spray some of the wife's perfume in my mouth.

That usually gets me over it.

Mike
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Black Liquorice? - 08/09/18 02:25 PM

Ugh.........cant take any of it ..no matter what the flavor....never could
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: Black Liquorice? - 08/09/18 02:31 PM

lol, no.
Posted By: white17

Re: Black Liquorice? - 08/09/18 02:38 PM

I ate some during radiation and it helped with nausea.
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Black Liquorice? - 08/09/18 02:50 PM

Originally Posted By: white17
I ate some during radiation and it helped with nausea.

JagerMeister which contains liquorice is used by a lot of Germans as a after supper drink to settle the stomach. I can see how black liquorice would help with that. I'm not a fan myself though lol.
Posted By: Hal

Re: Black Liquorice? - 08/09/18 02:55 PM

Posted By: hippie

Re: Black Liquorice? - 08/09/18 03:11 PM

Nope, no, not for me.

When i was a lilltle duffer, my Granddad had me one day and asked if i wanted some licorice.
Well heck yea! He pulls out a paper poke that had sticks of what looked like twisted-up tobacco in it. Cured me on black licorice!
Posted By: Kyt

Re: Black Liquorice? - 08/09/18 03:46 PM

I like it once in a while. My wife cannot stand the smell of it or anise.
Now I will think of that warning every time I see licorice. But who knows if there is anything credible there? It is amazing the lengths that people will go to to start a rumor. The depth of research and really clever methods to convince you of things that are totally fiction. Ever read those dire warnings about canola oil? Fry one egg in it and X's appear on your eyes like the cartoons. One egg you dead. Except the stuff is harmless--if it wasn't I WOULD have X's on my eyes.
Who wants to spend their time dreaming up that stuff?

Before you stop eating your favorite candy at least get a second opinion.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Black Liquorice? - 08/09/18 08:06 PM

Black Licorice Ice Cream is Also the Best!!
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Black Liquorice? - 08/09/18 08:49 PM

Anise the same thing!!!
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Black Liquorice? - 08/09/18 08:50 PM

black jack gum
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Black Liquorice? - 08/09/18 09:00 PM

Originally Posted By: 330-Trapper

You bet it is!! Wish there was some place close by that made it. Would be perfect on a hot day like today. smile
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: Black Liquorice? - 08/09/18 09:09 PM

[Tquote=Boco]Grand Funk Railroad-Black Licorice. [/quote] That's exactly what I was thinking too Boco when I saw this thread!
Posted By: cotton

Re: Black Liquorice? - 08/09/18 09:23 PM

love me some black jelly beans
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Black Liquorice? - 08/09/18 10:00 PM

Black jelly bean addict, also like Blackjack gum. Never tried the stuff they sell at TSC but might have to now. Never even heard of black licorice ice cream and can't quite get my mind wrapped around that, but I'd try it.

Re: Black Liquorice? - 08/09/18 10:32 PM

Originally Posted By: jbyrd63
Anise the same thing!!!

Not even in the same post code

Re: Black Liquorice? - 08/09/18 11:16 PM

Never had it but it sounds AWESOME!

Re: Black Liquorice? - 08/09/18 11:34 PM

Rats now I need to go to Fareway! Get more licorice

Re: Black Liquorice? - 08/09/18 11:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Tactical.20
Rats now I need to go to Fareway! Get more licorice

I get more when I am on my last couple of pounds. No I am not a hoarder, but like ammo, I like to have a bit of a buffer for times when there is none to be had.

Re: Black Liquorice? - 08/10/18 02:22 AM

Lol, I hope I do to

Re: Black Liquorice? - 08/10/18 02:39 AM

grin
Posted By: l1ranger

Re: Black Liquorice? - 08/10/18 12:46 PM

take it or leave it myself
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Black Liquorice? - 08/10/18 02:36 PM

Originally Posted By: wissmiss

You bet it is!! Wish there was some place close by that made it. Would be perfect on a hot day like today. smile
I could only find it in Longville Minnesota at the ice cream shop when we were on vacation as a kid it was the gray colored Good stuff!
Posted By: Drakej

Re: Black Liquorice? - 08/10/18 11:04 PM

China Star Anise extract is also #1 ermine lure. All the mustelids(weasel family) are attracted to it.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums