Home

Bobcat Cage Trap Question

Posted By: Pinky P

Bobcat Cage Trap Question - 08/09/18 06:57 PM

I bought a couple used bobcat cage traps and instead of a pan to trip it, it has 2 wires that stick down where the cat has to push them backwards with their head or body to trip the door.
Are those effective or would the pan they step on be a better deal?
Posted By: Redsleeves

Re: Bobcat Cage Trap Question - 08/09/18 07:25 PM

I know they both work, don't know witch one is more "efective" but I do know you just opened a can o worms!
Colt
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Bobcat Cage Trap Question - 08/09/18 07:36 PM

Most standard cage traps are not made for cats I believe the peddles are too far back if you go to a "step on" type peddle put it closer to the middle then way in the back. When I use a cage with the peddle far back I add a piece of plywood that is closer to the middle so they step on that before getting to the baits.
Posted By: BillyTraps

Re: Bobcat Cage Trap Question - 08/09/18 07:57 PM

what are the dimensions of your trap? width X height X length
and how far from the door are the trigger wires?
Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Re: Bobcat Cage Trap Question - 08/09/18 10:54 PM

I have a live trap from Tomahawk Live Trap Co. that is 36" long by 11" wide by 20" tall. Bobcats like extra height to a live trap in order to fully commit!

Chris
Posted By: Monster Toms

Re: Bobcat Cage Trap Question - 08/09/18 11:26 PM

as long as the wires hang to the center line they should be fine. I am using more and more wire triggers for all species. Animals are accustomed to pushing through grass and twigs wires are no trouble. With a dead end cage place your lure/attractor higher in the cage. I use a lot of double doors set on trails in deep grass/brush being able to have rodents/rabbits run through with out getting caught is a huge plus!
Posted By: Mercer Lawing

Re: Bobcat Cage Trap Question - 08/10/18 12:06 AM

Ya what Law Dog and Monster said.

The Tomohawk was a dead nut copy of mine so far as dimensions. Quality not close.

I'm not a fan of wire triggers. I have a you tube of a cat getting caught in a double door wire trigger. I'll try and find it and post. Cat visits from both ends before going through.

Definitely don't hang a bait from one of the wires. Rodents will trip it every night and even days after the bait is eaten. At least that was my luck.

The great snaremen Steve Craig thinks the wires (two) should be bent into the shape of a snare.

ML

Re: Bobcat Cage Trap Question - 08/10/18 12:13 AM

Here it is:

https://youtu.be/zBJUW-xcpy0
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Bobcat Cage Trap Question - 08/10/18 12:29 AM

I believe the cages Pinky is referring to are single door, 12x18x36. The wires recess into the top of the cage once the cage is tripped, so if you bend them they wouldn't. Similar to but not exactly these...

http://www.ztraps.com/productdetails.asp...cage-trap-large
Posted By: AKAjust

Re: Bobcat Cage Trap Question - 08/10/18 02:55 AM

I'd like to see how the trip wires work. My traps use a treadle because I couldn't make the trip wires work.
also I'm wondering with the trip wires in the middle and a cat being so long wouldn't the door hit them in the middle of the back?
just

Re: Bobcat Cage Trap Question - 08/10/18 03:11 AM

Originally Posted By: AKAjust
I'd like to see how the trip wires work. My traps use a treadle because I couldn't make the trip wires work.
also I'm wondering with the trip wires in the middle and a cat being so long wouldn't the door hit them in the middle of the back?
just

You would think that door hitting them in the rear end might just help them make up their mind to go into the trap, I'd like to see their reaction to a door hitting their butt on a game cam! Also wonder how many cats visit and don't commit to the cage/cubby setups?

Re: Bobcat Cage Trap Question - 08/10/18 04:27 AM

OK

http://vid330.photobucket.com/albums/l427/furhvstr/IM000012-1.mp4
Posted By: NE Coon

Re: Bobcat Cage Trap Question - 08/10/18 05:13 AM

Wow Mercer and Monster Tom replying on the same page!!!

Good (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman)!!
Posted By: AKAjust

Re: Bobcat Cage Trap Question - 08/10/18 07:59 AM

That's a treadle isn't it?
just
Posted By: cagemaker

Re: Bobcat Cage Trap Question - 08/10/18 09:38 AM

LOL NECoon. must be sonmething blowing in the wind...
Posted By: Sanford Otte

Re: Bobcat Cage Trap Question - 08/10/18 01:01 PM

When I built my cages 36 x 18 x 12 I used wire triggers that I got from Kirk DeKalb. In all the years I had trapped I had never caught a cat in my area but decided to try a little north of where I live. That 1st year I caught 6 cats, with a double in one cage. , maybe just luck but I still like the wire system trigger.

Re: Bobcat Cage Trap Question - 08/10/18 01:06 PM

That's what I'm talking about the cat gets tapped in the rear and goes forward seems like a natural move when a touch in the wild can often be a big problem for them, he did bounce back pretty fast but that door was faster!
Posted By: snowy

Re: Bobcat Cage Trap Question - 08/10/18 01:08 PM

I have Mercer's cages and are great.
Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Re: Bobcat Cage Trap Question - 08/10/18 01:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Mercer Lawing
OK

http://vid330.photobucket.com/albums/l427/furhvstr/IM000012-1.mp4

Very nice video!

Chris
Posted By: K52

Re: Bobcat Cage Trap Question - 08/10/18 01:29 PM

John's aren't too shabby either.

Re: Bobcat Cage Trap Question - 08/10/18 10:39 PM

Cage maker builds a heck of a cage lots of models too. But this can't turn into an advertisement we're going to start getting whacked.

I think wire triggers have their place and if a guy could Master it especially in snow country they could save you some froze up pans. My thought has always been gravity is constant. a 20 lb cat is always going to weigh 20 lb and he's going to be standing on something when he walks through your double door or investigates your cage.

Both systems have their pros and cons.

Steve Craig in Arizona took some of my double door traps chopped out the pan and invented his own wire trigger. The wire hung in the cage exactly like you would hang a snare. Only at the bottom of the loop the wires didn't touch they were separate. I think that made it legal for Arizona. If it was a solid wire loop it's possible it could be construed to be a snare I suppose.
Anyways the snare Loop wired sure worked pretty good according to him and when you think about it seems like a great idea.

ML
Posted By: Sanford Otte

Re: Bobcat Cage Trap Question - 08/11/18 01:08 AM

In the winter time when we get snow & ice I use a shake type cap that they use on the ridge 0f shake roofs to keep the trigger ice & snow free.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums