Home

330 question

Posted By: Ave

330 question - 08/10/18 01:15 AM

Hey guys, I’ve got a old victor 330 that’s been giving me problems. After the trap is fired, there is a 2 inch gap between the jaws. Should this be fixed by adding a kill bar, or will this still work for neck caught beaver? I’m also guessing I shouldn’t use this trap where there’s a chance at an otter? Thanks
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: 330 question - 08/10/18 01:18 AM

Beat the jaws with a Hammah ....to straighten them out....then it will close . And spray paint them ...to speed them up.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: 330 question - 08/10/18 03:18 AM

If the jaws are straight and the springs flop around then it might need new springs then.
Posted By: Boco

Re: 330 question - 08/10/18 03:28 AM

series 1 victor conibear traps are a poor trap compared to the newer ones on the market.
Most trappers here retired those traps years ago.And you are correct otter will get out of those traps in many cases.
Posted By: thetrappergreen

Re: 330 question - 08/10/18 09:01 AM

Welding an extra jaw bar on each side will take care of that gap problem and the extra weight really wallops them and will put there lights out without having to replace your springs. Unless you like using setters, I like setting with my hands and that's tough to do with new springs.
Posted By: trapNH

Re: 330 question - 08/10/18 10:33 AM

cut the spring eyes down a little and that will tighten it up. you could also put a Canadian bend in the jaws and thsat will work. set the trap so the animal hits the trigger with its nose and catch them around the neck with one jaw and no problems.
Posted By: Calvin

Re: 330 question - 08/10/18 03:28 PM

Even the new Victor #330 springs are junk...so don't replace with them.

Buy the Bridger replacement springs from MTP. They fit....and the smaller eyes keep the jaws closed better.

Re: 330 question - 08/10/18 07:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Boco
series 1 victor conibear traps are a poor trap compared to the newer ones on the market.
Most trappers here retired those traps years ago.And you are correct otter will get out of those traps in many cases.

Thanks. How big of a gap would be too big for otter? A few of these traps need might need some work.
Posted By: proratman

Re: 330 question - 08/11/18 01:38 AM

An otter is a torpedo. If you have ever seen one swim underwater you will surely agree. They are also a very slippery powerhouse. So with that being said, if your intended target is otter, I would strongly suggest that you invest in some better traps. We all know what it is like to be on a tight budget. The Duke #280 and #330 are reasonably priced.

Re: 330 question - 08/11/18 01:48 AM

Originally Posted By: proratman
An otter is a torpedo. If you have ever seen one swim underwater you will surely agree. They are also a very slippery powerhouse. So with that being said, if your intended target is otter, I would strongly suggest that you invest in some better traps. We all know what it is like to be on a tight budget. The Duke #280 and #330 are reasonably priced.

Thanks! I’ve got better traps, some magnums, some not. I got the old victors for a steal and started modifying them. Most of them now have about a 1 inch gap. Would this be enough for otter? I wouldn’t use these traps where I thought there might be a chance at catching one, but would like to hold it if one comes my way.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: 330 question - 08/11/18 01:59 AM

I'd retire it and use another 330 ...

Re: 330 question - 08/11/18 02:08 AM

330 trapper....should I retire them for good or use them for strictly beaver? They have decent springs on them
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: 330 question - 08/11/18 03:13 AM

retire it, any gap is to big for otter. I have a couple of them to and they are hanging on the wall.
Posted By: Boco

Re: 330 question - 08/11/18 03:29 AM

I have a few that I use in particular situations.The springs are strong on these traps,I use them only for nuisance beaver in the off season where there is a chance that a bear will take the trap and beaver.
I only set them submerged.I would not recommend the old series 1 trap for fur trapping beaver,as there is no clamping force with those traps(because of the gap)and any beaver caught will wreck his fur by the rubbing as he struggles in the trap.
Posted By: 330 Belisle

Re: 330 question - 08/08/21 05:57 AM

Retire it.
Posted By: Scott__aR

Re: 330 question - 08/08/21 06:46 AM

Yup, retire it. You will ultimately spend more modifying the old one than a new trap costs.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums